Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Jonah - as a Stockport Harrier who will definitely not be keeping up with your pace group (I'm in the get-round-eventually brigade) I've a feeling I know you...did you pass me your Helsby number this year?  Anyway, even if I'm mistaken I'm glad you're OK mentally and physically after Boston - it must have been an awful experience and such a sad end to what I imagine is an amazing marathon to run.

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Number arrived today .... YES! Start pen E so I'm not at the back, not quite anyway!

• Options
    cybarev wrote (see)

Number arrived today .... YES! Start pen E so I'm not at the back, not quite anyway!

Have had a flick through the marathon guide, 2 questions on the "pens", given that I can't remember what I put on the application form last December or whenever it was

1) How are they grouped in terms of times? I assume the elite runners go in A and the relay runners go at the back but wasn't sure about in between in terms of what B, C etc equated to

2) Presumably you can move between pens within reason and being realistic about your hoped for finish time

Hoping my number will be on the doormat when I get in.

No mention of free tram travel for runners on the website, might drop them an e-mail but I guess they're swamped with race numbers at present

No news of RP's last big run, looked like a pleasant afternoon weather-wise, hope it went well for her

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I put 3 hrs 30 and I'm in pen B

• Options
    I am in pen B aswell, what time u reckon is best to get their for?
  • Options

I don't know what pen I'm in - where does it sayimage? Because I live abroad I got it delivered to my Dad's house

• Options
    It says it on the envolope.
  • Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

RR cant answer any of your questions sorry ... this is my first Manchester Mara so not sure how it worked last year. At Liverpool they had estimated finish times at the start and told you to get near where you thought you were going to finish. I would think moving between pens would be fairly easy but its always best to be realistic about your time so you dont slow those down who are quite speedy. I quite like starting near the back because I can start nice and slow and pick people up as the race progresses.

• Options
    I've got my number today and my Brooks pace team time of 3.30... really dim question, but do you put the Brooks pace time on your back or on the front with your number. Might be a bit crowded at the front but first marathon so none the wiser
  • Options

Cybarev - I'm in Pen E too image Haven't a clue what I put down for my expected finish time though!

• Options

Hi everyone!!  Busy day here, just got 5 mins before we are getting ready to go out for a bite to eat...baby has been a nightmare today so she will probably spoil it for us, but never mind!

Yippee...my number came too!  Finally!  I think mine is pen D.  I must have put down 4.15 as my finish time, but that was before I knew I was preggers.  Hence, I think I will probably move back to E, not that it makes much difference I suppose.

Jonah, do you know Andy Fowler?  I am sure he is in Stockport harriers, and he certainly went to Boston...and is doing London!  I met him in Berlin and his is my friend on Facebook.

Thanks for thinking of me...I did my last run...13 miles, and I would love to say it was easy, but it wasn't.  I am not feeling any taper benefit yet, but I did 21 miles last weekend, then a 10 and 8 miler this week, then 13 today, so I think my body is knackered!  I won't do more than 3 x 5 mile runs now until the marathon....I think there is sometimes a danger of ruining your day with not enough rest, and really, we should be all ready now, so I am going to force myself to do very little.  I hear you about the niggles, I was paranoid the whole way round and could feel my hips for some reason!  At least part of it is in the head. you need to keep your mind in order as well as your body!

Right...time to put my freshly dried washing away, and quick change of clothes.

Good luck to anyone running tomorrow

panda xxx

• Options

PS

Could they have made our names any smaller on the bibs?!  No bugger is going to be able to see my name and it's only two letters!  Reckon I will get a marker and make them bigger myselfimage!

Panda

• Options

I'm feeling a bit left out now - no number for me yet.

A gentle 4 miler this morning and then a brisk 13 miler this afternoon - what a difference running in shorts and  t shirt makes ! - but I think I may have got a bit too carried away as I upped the pace a bit in the final 5 miles and finished in just over 1 hour 32 minutes and my legs feel a bit knackered now. Bugger ! Best take it easy from now on - maybe the best strategy with this taper lark is not to bother running at all and take to the couch with a few beers ! ?  

• Options

Number came this morning, after a dreadful injured and ill March, April has got better week by week….parkrun tomoz, 16 mile on flat soft ground Sunday  and then I’ll be nearly as ready as I can be after the March from hell…just hope I get through Sundays last longer run. Wouldn’t be running that far if I had not missed so much training before but mentally I’ve got to do it before the big day.

• Options

no number for me yet either pure manic. race organisers website says before 22nd though so we are still alright. 10 miles this sun according to my training plan... feels a bit too short, but i know i should stick to the plan during taper image

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Just did fast 5k this morning in 20:39 on the treadmill ... One second slower than my PB,

My race number came this morning too, together with 3:45 pace for my back. Not sure if wearing this will add pressure though? Got 3:47 in London last year so should be achievable depending how I feel and what the weather is doing race day.

It states Pen B so I must be nearer the front ... I'm sure I put 3:44 (I think B = 3:30-3:44:59).

10k tomorrow, 5 k Monday, leg massage Tuesday, 5k Wednesday, 5k Thursday ... All slow with complete rest Friday and Saturday.
  • Options
    About to set off on my last long run (12mile)

Feels good after 16 weeks of training!

Really looking forward to watching London tomorrow aswell, will really get us in the mood I'm sure. image
  • Options

My number came yesterday, I'm in Pen D so I must have put something like 4:15 on my entry

Quick 6 miler this morning up Brooklands Road (past all the road closing signs, eek) and then back to Altrincham along the canal

I'll take weather like this, bright and cool without the wind or rain

The temptation to carry on and do a few more miles was there but I'm really trying to stick to the plan which was to reduce the mileage by around 20% this week which is what I've tried to do

3 x 5 miles next week and then we're there !

Good luck to all doing their final "longer" run this weekend

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

8 miles for me today, then the plan says 3 miles, 2 miles in the week with 2 miles again the day before the 'big day'...

I'm in pen C and now thinking I might be starting too far forward Rockin Robin, if you're in pen D.  Oh god, something else to think/worry about!!  Ha, ha, such stress...

• Options

I've been out and done 8 miles this morning - sunny but fresh - would love it to be like this net week image.

4 & 2 x 2 mile runs to do next week - I'm trusting in the plan as I've done everything it's asked of me so far, but this tapering lark is weird lol!

• Options

yay, my number  this morning. im in pen c too Sallymax, might see you  there image 3 miles today then last double digit tun tomorrow (10). good luck this weekend everyone, i will see  all next Sun

• Options
    Sallymax wrote (see)

8 miles for me today, then the plan says 3 miles, 2 miles in the week with 2 miles again the day before the 'big day'...

I'm in pen C and now thinking I might be starting too far forward Rockin Robin, if you're in pen D.  Oh god, something else to think/worry about!!  Ha, ha, such stress...

Don't worry SallyMax, I think I went for the conservative option on my estimated finish time and I guess I could come home anywhere between 4 and 5 hours dependent on how it goes on the day. The application seems a long time ago and I think I was apprehensive about beign able to do the longer runs with it being marathon number 1 (note the change from only marathon to giving it a number, eeek)

Reading eveyone else's mileage, now worrying that I'm perhaps doing too much next week (3 X 5miles) but I guess I've only done 6 this weekend, having done my last double digit run in the week

Few beers tonite as my final hair down session before the final week

Just need to sort out a checklist for the day and get some carb loading planned image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Still no number image

Off out on my last double figures run soon (12).

Rocky, I've got a similar mileage next week, so don't worry. You could always reduce it a bit as the week goes on....it's just about keeping your legs moving now, nothing more.
  • Options
    Andy W. wrote (see)

10k tomorrow, 5 k Monday, leg massage Tuesday, 5k Wednesday, 5k Thursday ... All slow with complete rest Friday and Saturday.

Slow 5 Ks on Monday & Wednesday - Is there any point ? I'm sure most Tapers recommend cutting the distance but with intensity ?. I see the point on Thursday - more of a loosen up really and maybe a steady 10 K tomorrow. Agree with total rest on Fri & Sat - pretty much what I will do. Anyway - just my thoughts.

My number came through at lunchtime. Pen A for me. Gulp !

• Options
    PureManiac pen A for me too.

Brooks pace team finish time numbers, will you wear yours?

I like the idea of them but IF all goes pear shaped I'd really not want everyone to know how bad my day is

I am thinking i will just hop on the Brooks bus without showing the ticket
  • Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Pen A - I wish!!  Thought the same about the pacers - think I (and others on this forum!) decided to lurk anonymously...

Oh, it is getting exciting isn't it?

Did 8 miles today with 5 others, slow but hilly up the downs -hope it wasn't a bad idea. Lots of rest and eating bread and pasta I guess this week then!

• Options

Does anyone know how many runners will be taking part?

• Options
    Pen A for me. What's the brooks pacer you are talking about?