Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Sallymax. Think its a bit later for me to choose now. I wonder if I can run without registering with brooks
  • Options

Not going to be around much this next week so, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Hope you have better weather than we did last year...

• Options

I heard a figure of 7000 quoted for the total number of runners

• Options
    Ha ha. I like Jedwards style image
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Pure magic the advice I got was not to do any tempo runs in the final week, though I was considering a fast 5k on Monday as my last. Then I was persuaded not to and to rest up, just keep ticking over, so I'm not sure now? No run on Sunday and no real niggles, just aching a little coz of the taper ... What do you think?
  • Options
    Buzzing for London! Really wish I was there!
  • Options

Yeah, looks a decent day too, maybe a little too sunny!

I had a bit of an epic fail last night.  I intended to go booze free until the marathon.  5 pints and a curry later and my weak willpower was thoroughly confirmed.

Managed to get my final double-digit run in though, 12 miles in cold and dry conditions.

• Options
    7 pints and a Chinese for me....doh!!
  • Options

I feel better nowimage

• Options

Hello. My number came yesterday. My estimated finish time was 3:55 so I expected I shall be in the middle pen (C or D) but I am in pen B. I hope it is not a mistake as I do not want to start to fast. Anyone else with simmilar time is in B?
    I wish there is no pace team for my predicted time.
    I am looking forward to see you all guys there.
    Do you have any suggestions what is worth to see in Manchaster after the race (next day of courseimage  )

• Options

ha.... I am sure there are plenty of carbs in Chinese, Indian and beer!

if it's any consolation, I have been a pig.  Obviously not drinking, but I have more than made up of it with food.  I have eaten healthy stuff too, just far too much in general...will try and be good for most of next week, but I say that every weekimage

Just watching London, and it is getting me in the mood....They seem to have perfect weather...I have just checked Metcheck for the forecast, and I won't tell you how it looked!  Anyway, plenty of time for it to change, and a lot of websites tell you different things.  I would be gutted if it was horrible, but at least we are all in it together.

I did email the organisers, but surprise surprise, they didn't get back to me.  Can anyone from last year tell me if there is any reason you need to go to the race village?  I was just thinking of going straight to the start..and ARE THERE ANY TOILETS NEAR THE START?! 

Ideally, I would like to go from the tram to the start and go for a pee somewhere near then.  It would be really crap, I feel, if the only toilets are at the race village, which is 10 minutes walk from the start (as I will need it again by then!!)  Arghh..I panic about the smallest things, but it is doing my head in!

Hope everyone is feeling good

Panda

x

• Options

Final long-ish run for me this morning - 10.5 gentle miles, mainly off road so nice and serene with lots of daffodils, blossom and gamboling lambs to take my mind off what's to come next Sunday....26.2 miles of tarmac!  Ah well, bring it on.  Number has arrived so definitely doing more than a few laps of the car park, pen E so lots of people in front of me to chase down and pick off one by one.....sounds sinister, but I mean it in the most positive way!  Will probably spend most of this week stretching rather than running - I just want to wrap myself in cotton wool so that I don't go and injure something at the last minute....anyone else paranoid?

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Redpanda - I'll message them on Facebook (think you said you weren't on there) regarding toilets if you want - they seem to reply on there - it's a bit more obvious if they don't.

Auntie - I'm also paranoid about every niggle - I feel worse today than I have for the last 4 months, keep thinking I'm getting a cold, legs ache etc etc...

• Options

Ah, thanks so much Sally...you have saved my life.  I am on FB...but didn't really know about a page.  My bladder is a nightmare anyway, but with a baby on board it's a joke!

Try and take vitamins and eat healthy this week folks....anyone got any particular eating plans for the days before?

Just found out my friend who did London got 2.33 and came in 61st place!  How good is that??!

panda

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Hi folks, what a day to be running round London. Beautiful.

RP are there likely to be any loos at the tram stops? You could get the tram, use the loo and then gently wander up to the start without having to go to the start enclosure.

Your mate sounds seriously speedy ..... 2.33 amazing.

Auntie Ninja I'm in E as well and shall be stalking/lurking the 4.45 pacer.

The Manchester marathon facebook page are suggesting Blue and yellow ribbons to commemorate the Boston events. Its the colour of the Boston Athletic Association apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/Gtrmanchestermarathon?hc_location=stream

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Jedwards and Strangely B....does a three course Italian meal and two bottles of prosecco (to myself) out-do you?!
  • Options

STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD!!

That's a good plan Cybarev...Are there loo stops at every tram stop do people know?  I know there are at some...does RR know if there is one at Old Trafford Tram stop?!

Pi**ing it down outside....better not be like this next week!!

Panda

PS...The ribbons are a good idea xx

• Options

17 mile last long run today went better than I anticipated, felt good,  hope everyone came through the weekend ok.

Fabulous conditions for it today

Starting to believe I can make the start line and get round now…..very gentle week ahead while watching the weather reports for Sunday

• Options

Well done Matt....make sure you don't do much more at all now...you really need to rest those legs.   Really glad it went well, and it will have done your confidence the world of good too.

Panda

• Options

race number arrived this weekend. it's on. woop woop!

• Options
    Long range weather forecast is showing a beautiful big sunshine for Manchester!

Will be a cracking day if it is! The ribbon idea is a good 'un. I shall be doing it.
  • Options

thanks panda…… resting up most of the week, I’ve done being over cooked before and that’s deffo a problem I can do without next week, physio tomorrow and Thursday 5 miles max a couple of times this week.

I missed Chester marathon with injury I’m determined to get round this time ideally 3hr 45 after the last couple of months.

Hope it’s not too warm next week  dry, no wind, 8-12 degrees please.

• Options
    Dave Lord wrote (see)
    PureManiac pen A for me too.
    Brooks pace team finish time numbers, will you wear yours?
    I like the idea of them but IF all goes pear shaped I'd really not want everyone to know how bad my day is
    I am thinking i will just hop on the Brooks bus without showing the ticket

Andy W. wrote (see)
    Pure magic the advice I got was not to do any tempo runs in the final week, though I was considering a fast 5k on Monday as my last. Then I was persuaded not to and to rest up, just keep ticking over, so I'm not sure now? No run on Sunday and no real niggles, just aching a little coz of the taper ... What do you think?

I think you lot are on the wind up here. I don't think I'm a  Maniac and I certainly not Magic (Although PureMagic does have a certain ring to it). I might be a bit Manic at times though.

Anyway.

Andrew W. I reckon Mondays 5 K can be quickish but then after that yes do very little and either no running or maybe up to 2 easy ones to tick over.

Dave Lord. My thoughts precisely ! I don't know if I will wear the pacer number.  

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    That's very funny PureManic, I also have a Brooks pace for 3.45 but it seems a bit public especially if I have to change tact on the day
  • Options
    The countdown is on, usually the longest week of my life before a big race.

Don't think I've ever prepared as well as I have for Manchester though, should be a fab day if the weather holds out.

Just back from a steady 6 miler, doing 7mile tomorrow, weds rest, thurs easy 5 mile. Then REST and go crazy.

Buzzing for it after all the hype of London yesterday!
  • Options

"PureManiac" - image

Sorry PM, I think I may have started something here....

• Options

Help!  It's only Monday and already I can't concentrate on anything!  I'm at work, supposedly with my head down, beavering away, and all I want to do is think/talk about running, running shoes, T-shirts, running, marathons, gels, water stations, running, ribbons, pace teams, niggles, running, socks, numbers, parking at OT, negative splits, running, finishing times ..... ANYTHING to do with next Sunday and running.  I'm not sure I can take another six days of this. 

• Options

I want to join one of the pace teams but cant log onto the website even though I have changed my password - it just wont log me on.

Does anyone know if I can just join a team on the day?