Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Red Panda,

We did a few bars on the quay, then up to The gate which was very lively and messy.

Still knackered now.

And to all you footy fans, i'm a Plymouth Argyle season ticket holder and what another wonderful season we are having....Travelling up to manchester on Saturday at 2pm and Argyle's game will be on my mind the whole time....image

• Options

Hi all

Thanks again RR...You are great! I would have been lost without you to be honest, as the organisers are pretty crap at responding to people, and I don't know who else I would have asked.  I am fairly local of course, but you obviously know the tram system and everything else really wellimage.  Did we ever establish if the trams were free for runners?  Assuming they are not, can you get a family day saver?  My partner is planning on spectating with his two young boys at various places, so they will all need to get on and off a fair few times.  I could check the metrolink website, but I thought you might know lol!!

it's not far from Lymm to Alti, about 10 mins, so I think we will leave Lymm at 7.15 then, just to be sure.

Cyb...my good friend RR recommended a car park I am very familiar with (I just hadn't considered it on race day), which is the one for Alti leisure centre.  It's free on Sundays and only a short walk to the tram station.  There is also a free car park (Sundays only) on Regent road (a bit further from the tram would you say RR?), failing that, there are lots of permit spots, which I think are also free if you can find one.

Sally, thanks for asking the question...I am afraid I could never use one of those She wee things...no way!  I think it will be cleaner and quicker to just find something en route to squat behind...so people of Sale/Alti..beware!

Pete, glad you enjoyed your night out....and survived....take it easy now for the rest of the week!

NB...I don't think I will have time to sort out ribbons...haberdasheries are not exactly common place eh?  If they were to give them to runners, as they did for London, I would be most happy to wear one though.

Panda

• Options
    RR - totally agree about challenging yourself. I just worry about what I will " need" to do after. Already been browsing the ultra section of the forum - doh!

Seems we have a real mixed bag of footy fans on here. Guess PM must be a Sunderland fan with a username like PureMackem.....
  • Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Someone on the Manchester Marathon facebook page is selling ribbons for a charity.  No idea how she's going to get them to people on time though, or indeed make enough cos everyone seems to want one.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    MUFC for me. Although I am from Runcorn, so I have to shout for The Linnets too.

Good work there, Strangely B....poor Pure Mxxxx is going to have an identity crisisimage
  • Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Sallymax, I saw those ribbons as well, contacted the person making them and she only lives round the corner from me here in Colchester. So shes going to pop one through my letter box. How weird is that?
  • Options
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)
    RR - totally agree about challenging yourself. I just worry about what I will " need" to do after. Already been browsing the ultra section of the forum - doh!

Seems we have a real mixed bag of footy fans on here. Guess PM must be a Sunderland fan with a username like PureMackem.....

You're Purely Milking it now. Isn't it about time you were providing us with the latest weather forecast anyway.

Gods own club for me (And on the Sixth Day God created Man...chester City.) Not too bad a season if it's "just" the FA Cup and 2nd in the league I suppose !

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nottingham Forest for me. We are still in with a shout at the play offs so it will probably go to our last game of the season against Leicester.

My number has also arrived.....but I wont be using it due to my injury.

So, I hope you all have a great race on Sunday and dont go off too fast !!

• Options
    Well I'm wolves so we won't even go there. clowns.

Nice 7 miles done before work, beautiful morning here....one last 5 miler on Thursday then that's it for me. Always take 48hrs rest before a long race, always seems to work for me anyway.

Getting excited now!
  • Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

There isn't much talk on the weather geeks forums as they don't tend to be very interested in the weather unless it's freezing cold or boiling hot.

Taking in the different forecasts then we're certainly looking at a cool day but not cold like last year thankfully, probably 8 - 10C

We're still a bit to far out to know whether it's going to rain or not but if it does it doesn't look like it'll be heavy at the minute and the wind forecast isn't too bad either.

The forecast will change though as we get closer.  The bright sunshine we had a few days ago on some forecasts has already gone.

• Options
    God I remember last year. I was doing my first mara in Stratford and they called it off on the startline! We ran a half instead. I was gutted after months of training! lol
  • Options

Many different football fans but all runners together on Sunday

Still flitting between panic mode (I walked up Chester Road to the ground last night and thought about miles 25 & 26 as I went) and excitement at what should be a good day and I'll get round regardless of time.

Another 5 gentle miles this morning before the final outing on Thursday

The running seems to be going OK but I'm still not feeling energised or free from the stiffness in right knee/thigh as I thought I would be once the final week of tapering arrived. Hopefully the rest days should see to this at the end of the week.

With regard to the tram, there is a family day ticket which I think covers 2 adults and 2 kids to go anywhere all day (not all the machines sell them though). No mention of free tram travel but this happened during the olympic football and people were buying tram tickets only to be told they didn't need them at the other end

Carter - hope things pick up injury wise and you get back to race fitness soon. Must be galling for the number to land on the doormat

SB - Yep, not sure what the next challenge will be, probably to run a couple of HM in the autumn and get my PB down and then if I did do another marathon I might run Blackpool next April rather than Manchester

Jedwards - I can't imagine what it's like to have the rug pulled when you're on the startline

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Nothing personal Jedwards but I'm desperately hoping we're (Port Vale in case you missed it earlier) playing you next season, you'll fill our away end.

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Congrats on your success last night RR

• Options

5 more days guys....yikes

• Options

Morning!

Thanks for the tram info RR...will check on the day I suppose and play by ear.

That's my last run done.....just 4 miles and I felt it.  I know what you mean RR...am not feeling refreshed either...hope I do by Sunday!

I will be walking the dogs each day and spinning on Thursday morning (not going to push too hard though) but essentially I am done now.  In more ways than one!

I am taking a trip to the charity shop in the village after I get the baby weighed later.  My thinking is, I will pick up any old jumper / cardi, and hopefully a pair of trackie bottoms or something, in case it's cold on Sunday morning.  I can travel in in them then dump them at the start line when the gun goes off.  I will take a bin bag too!

Hope we are all ok?  has everyone had their numbers now?

Panda

• Options

Jedwards wrote (see)
    Anyone else staying at the ramada Salford quays?

Yup

• Options
    Adam Theobald wrote (see)

I want to join one of the pace teams but cant log onto the website even though I have changed my password - it just wont log me on.

Does anyone know if I can just join a team on the day?

Adam - If you've got an idea of what time you want to run, do what alot of people are doing on this forum and lurk behind the relevant flag bearer (this is going to look a bit like Benny Hill on Sunday). I assume the additional pace bibs are for the race organisers to see whether the pacers and the runners that followed them did do it within the relevant time frame rather than to point the finger as such 

To add to the comments on pacers.  I'll be lurking - unofficially - behind the sub3 chap.  I managed 2.59.18 in the capital a couple of days ago and would like a repeat.  I consider it daft to have people sign up for a pacer 'group'.  Would I need a note to drop out or sprint on ahead?

On things to see and do, we're planning on going to the Lowry place at the Quay and drinking on Deansgate/Canal St.  I also want to point out Phil Neville's penthouse to the missus.  Will check up on other sights, but those seem a good place to start.

Looking forward to going back up north.  Not been for a number of years.  Originally from Ormskirk if anyone knows it. 

• Options

Howdy guys.

Just wondered it anyone can tell me if there is any way to offer your race entry to someone else? Is it against forum rules to advertise this?

I know the organisers are dead against this practice but writing off £50 just rubs salt into the wounds when I can't compete through injury image

• Options

Last training session tonight at East Cheshire/Tameside, usually 2 to 5 minute intervals over an hour but will be taking it very easy, just tick things over, then it's rest and carb gorge till the big day, v excited now after watching the London Marathon. 

Might go for the long sleeve running top/shorts with bum bag combo on running day. Still scarred from last years epic weather but doubt i'll be need a running jacket.

In terms of gels/food during the race what are people's strategies. I'll be taking all my fluids from the stations but will bring my own gels, I 've got 5xcliff shots, one every 3 miles and have three SIS gels with caffeine that i might have at 16, 19 and 22. Also got some cliff shot blocks (like the old rowntrees jelly cubes) and dextrose sweets/tablets in reserve if things go awry.

Last jog out is 2 miles on Thursday around Clayton Vale, Good luck to everyone running, see you on the beech!

• Options

Man City fan here (from Manchester...)

Going to do a 4 miler tonight and Thursday then relax! Completed the Liverpool marathon last year (my first one) although I had pretty much cracked my knee bone at 7 miles - a mixture of Nurofen and sponsorship got me round! Quite a slow time but I think I was allowed that! Cried like a baby at the end with a mixture of pain and happiness!

Anyway Manchester now beckons - my knee (touch wood) is a lot better - my wife who is a physio said last year 'You can stop running and our knee will hurt or you can keep running and your knee will hurt' - fair enough!

I will be honest and say i have not done as much training for this as I did last year but hopefully the sight of Old Trafford will give me a quick start as I try to run away from it!

My problem in Liverpool was the 20 mile mark - I think I hit the wall and felt I did not eat properly during the actual run. I had a big bowl of porridge in the morning and a few gel packs during the race although I never feel much difference after them so may stop using them.

Any suggestions from anyone about snacks to keep you going during the run? might try jelly babies this year?

Enjoy the run everyone and I will be the blubbering baby at the finish line

• Options

Liverpool fan here ( from N.Ireland ) thinking of running with my Liverpool shirt on image might just get me a PB 

Ran just over 7 miles last night and plan one more run on Thursday of 3 or 4 miles taper madness in flull as my hamstring feels sore today image

• Options

My goodness Oogles!  How big's your bum bag?  You sound like you'll be carrying enough grub for a complete tuck shop!

Adam - I had a similar experience at Liverpool in 2011 (albeit a different injury), hence wanting to do another marathon and actually run the whole thing.  If I can pull it off on Sunday I'll join you in the blubbering contest on the finish line!  Don't be disheartened by the gels though - you won't necessarily get a recognisable boost from them, but they'll stop you feeling worse so are worth persevering with.

SB - I know what you mean about the "what next?" dilemma.  I found myself getting very interested when a fellow runner was telling me about ultras the other week...I'm sure my sanity will return in time to remind me that at 50 it might not be a good idea.  Then again...

Slow stroll round the park at club tonight for me and maybe a few gentle stretches just to keep the taper-madness at bay.  Only four sleeps to go....I'm not counting Saturday, obviously, as no-one will be getting any sleep that night! 

• Options

Auntie Ninja-it's a lot I know, probably waste more energy carrying it than it'll ever give me, i might have to ditch some beforehand, I'm just hoping they have enough gels etc to go round at the stations, a pessimist is rarely disappointed.

As for what's next, already signed up to the Amsterdam Marathon on the 20th October, which should allow a few months off after Manchester. Was a pretty straightforward process with three nights in a four star hotel with flight for £250, bargain. Race entry was about £45 and no need for doctors certificates etc, it's also one of the flattest out there at 44m net climb, even flatter than Manchester, which helpsimage. Plenty to do afterwards also.

• Options

I'm using the High 5 gels, not much better than Jelly Babies from training results but they don't become a congealed mass either.

They recommend 2 sachets before the start then from 1 hour in, 1 sachet every 30 minutes. I've found I've stopped using them and not had the full quota toward the end of some long runs. The ISO ones are heavier but you don't need to take them with water (and they have caffeine in them)

So that works out at 6 or 7 gels in the running "pouch" and relying on the on-course drinks

We shall see, can highly recommend chocolate milkshake post-run (before you hit the beer that is)

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Shazmo wrote (see)

MUFC for me. Although I am from Runcorn, so I have to shout for The Linnets too.

Good work there, Strangely B....poor Pure Mxxxx is going to have an identity crisisimage
    Correction - originally from Runcorn, but an honorary Manx woman now.
    Anyone got any tips for carbo-loading...can't remember when I started last year. Likewise, the gels/blocks during the race...think I took one every 4 miles.
    Jedwards - can't imagine how gutting that must be. Were you told literally at the last minuted that the full mara wasn't on? I'm surprised there wasn't a riot!

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Not sure what's going on with all the lines in my last post!??

• Options

Will people be able to see live running results as they happen for the split times like on the London Marathon.

The website states that results will be available within 24 hours of the race but then in the booklet it mentions something about live results?

• Options

Oogles, did you say you were carrying Shot Blocs?  I thought they were giving them out at most of the stations?  No need to bring your own I wouldn't think? 

I am not supposed to take gels at the minute (I assume because of the caffeine content).  That said, I am doing, but I will be conservative.  I have never taken gels before a race, and would be dubious as to whether that is needed.......I will take a max of 4 with me and see how I get on.  I always think the manufacturers tell you to take more than you need (so they sell more).  I wouldn't dream of taking the first one until 6 miles anyway.

I hate carrying stuff and belts etc so I stuff them down my bra!  I have a little wrist pouch with a zip that is suitable for a few sweets (the Lucozade ones are quite chalky and travel quite well), so I will use that too.  There is a zip in the back of my running tights, which I am going to try to put some tissues in (for toilet stops!), and that is all I will carry.  In fact, I might dispense with the wrist pouch as I have a special running bra with a zip pocket in the front.....invaluable, I tell you!image

Re carbo loading....everyone has a different opinion on it.  Personally, I don't think you have to go mad this week.  I try and eat sensibly (not too many carbs) for most of the marathon week (you are not running much, so don't need a lot, don't forget), then eat a few more carbs on Friday, then use Saturday to carbo load...when I say "load" I don't go mental. 

My best tip would be on the Saturday...nothing high fibre or spicy (for obvious reasons) ....so white bread etc, and no fruit and such things.  I also always, always, always, drink stacks of water on the Saturday.  In fact, all this week I find it is a good idea to get those fluid levels up in prep for Sunday.  If you get plenty in you pre race, you will benefit.]

hope that helps

Panda

PS....got a sweatshirt for £1 from the charity shop to wear for my travel to the start, and will get chucked!

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

LOL won't you look a bit odd with lumpy boobs? image