Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Afternoon all,

Last long run done in the form of the South Cheshire 20 earlier so now its time for my favourite part of marathon training ...... its taper time !! image ... and boy do my legs need it! This mornings efforts on a somewhat 'undulating' and windy South Cheshire course, coupled with now cycling in to work have left my legs feeling pretty wrecked, at the moment but I'm sure a days rest and then the decreased mileage will see them right for Chester.

Anyone else preparing for the nadness to come or are there still long runs to be done ?

• Options

One more for me i think as i missed a couple on holiday and one a few weekends ago in London. Glad i wasnt running today.

• Options

Did my last longer effort on one of the gym treadmills on Friday.    20 miles in 2 hours 57 mins (8 mins 53 secs per mile average).   As with each of my recent longer training sessions, I did the first 13.1 miles of the run in approx. 1 hour 54 mins,  then eased off for the remaining miles.

On race day, am hopeful of beating my 4:13.37 (9 mins 40 secs per mile) PB,  which I set way back in 2006.

• Options

2old never & 15W, fab half times, well done image

Boo and Tim, I've just done my last big effort today too and am relieved to be in the taper phase now.

Struggled early on in my 20 miler today, settled in once it got to the point where it wasn't possible to be any wetter! Hardly any runners out despite the local 10k being less than a week away. It took all my willpower to keep going at 15 miles when I passed the path back to my house. Knocked six minutes off though (3:32). Sports massage tomorrow.

• Options

I won a vip place in this marathon the week after i do the robin hood halfimage I've done a few halves this year and some half iron triathlons which I hope will help me round. The longest I've run though is 20 miles on Saturday legs hurt now. is this course flat? 

• Options

Almost flat, from what I've heard and read.

• Options

O good I might get round then lolimage

• Options

Chris - flattish.

Well done all on your long runs and/or races. It was 22mi this morning for me. Weather wasn't as bad as forecast and went fairly well...thank gawd for taper though, starting with first day of non running for first time in a month or so tomorrow.

• Options

ish- now you're scaring me.image

• Options

Hello everyone, I haven't posted for a while so I thought I'd have a look and see what's been going on!

Hope everyone's training is going ok. It looks like there's been some good long runs this weekend.

i did my last long run yesterday, 23 miles in just under 3 hours.

Starting to look forward to the race now image 

• Options

@red_dog_chris - 101m of climb over the whole route according to the website.

• Options

Hi. A ? about pacers....... I did south cheshire 20 yesterday in 2hrs 54 (hilly) and previous time 2 years ago was 3 hrs 09 three weeks before Edinburgh. Someone suggested a use the pacer for Chester.....is there pacers for 3-45 AND 4-00 hrs?? Is it over ambitious to go for faster time? I finished smiling yesterday with no ill effects yesterday or today but unsure......certainly don't want to crash n burn! Have followed Yelling 4 day a week training pretty well....thanks

• Options

Ps did Edinburgh in 4hrs 15 minsand blurb re chester says pacers for 3-30 and 4.00 hr finish but not 3-45 mins....

• Options

Hi. A ? about pacers....... I did south cheshire 20 yesterday in 2hrs 54 (hilly) and previous time 2 years ago was 3 hrs 09 three weeks before Edinburgh. Someone suggested a use the pacer for Chester.....is there pacers for 3-45 AND 4-00 hrs?? Is it over ambitious to go for faster time? I finished smiling yesterday with no ill effects yesterday or today but unsure......certainly don't want to crash n burn! Have followed Yelling 4 day a week training pretty well....thanks

• Options

There are pacers for 3.45, I ran with them on the last training run

• Options

Bev - go for 3.45. DO IT!

Day off for me today.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

15 West-looks like alls going very well to plan for you. Still struggling with Achilles here. Will try some spinning today and my first run since Thursday tomorrow. Im starting to think this another marathon I wont start this year.

Bev-what 15West says-you know you can do it-if I start I may be using you as a pacer

Red-with half IMs in the tank you will have no problem

• Options

If the next three weeks goes OK, I'm going to try and keep up with the 3:45 pacers until the half-way point,  which they'll hopefully reach in about 1:53-1.54.   

Then, the plan is to gradually slip down the gears in the second half of the race, with the primary aim of beating my 4:13 PB.

I'm more confident with this approach than to even attempt the fabled 'negative split'.

To be honest though, it'd just be great to hang a marathon medal around my neck!  

• Options

Got 16 hilly miles in tonight, so hopefully somewhere near back on track this week!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Physio told me NOT to run so unless there's a miracle  I'm outimage  Hope everyones tapers go well

• Options

Oh dear. Bad luck there 2old. Best of luck with the recovery.

• Options

still havent run anything over 16 miles at this point - my one and only long run before chester is planned for friday morning where i hope 20 miles will be enough.

where there's hope...........

• Options

Budjude - bit close to race day to be running 20mi...take it nice and easy, or maybe take it less easy and run 17 or 18mi? There is a school of thought that unless you are a sub 3 type runner there is no need to be running 20mi long runs..takes too much out of you for the other key sessions during the week (which of course you've been doing?!).

I was just out for a 14mi run today when I got stopped by SusTrans for a survey about my journey today!

• Options

15west or anybody! - Did a 20 mile run last Sunday...nearly killed me! 2hrs 58 mins, was going to try for another big one this week or am I too late? 

• Options

it's a bit risky Miles. Given wisdom is 3 weeks before is your last longest..2 weeks before reduce by 75%, 1 week before by 50%. So - maybe run somewhere between 15 and 17?

• Options

All - now is not the time to start panicing and start putting in extra miles and hard training sesions, all the hard work you've done so far could easily be undone in the last 3 weeks. Stick with your schedules.  It's better to arrive at the race under trained than over trained

• Options

Thanks 15West 15 -17 miles it is. Good luck everyone!image

• Options

2oldnever - Very sorry to hear you're out.

• Options

A real bugger 2oldnever, rest up then get back on that horse.