Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options

Hey Weedy,

CTS are absolutely amazing. The courses and breathtaking. I did the Portland marathon as my first ever race and entered before realising it was a trail one with massive hills! It's the race I would most like to do again to improve as I feel I have unfinished business with it. The organisation is exceptional as well both races were run very professionally (hence being slightly pricier). I can't recommend them enough.

Sounds like you'll be aiming for a similar training level as well if that's what your planning. At least I'll know I'm on the right track with that as well!

• Options

Cheers Benjamin, good to know. I checked the 2011 results and there were only 14 entrants in the marathon. Last place here I come...

• Options

I just had a look and it doesn't look too bad. They have a habit of cheekily adding a mile or two and choosing particularly difficult routes though but that one looks fun. Maybe I'll join in image

• Options

Good to hear that about the CTS events - I've entered one of the 10ks (Whitby early May) just as a taster before I try some of their longer offerings.  Gotta admit they all sound heavenly as long as you don't care so much about your times!

The longest weekend on the plan I've got is a 4hr on Saturday + 5hr on the Sunday which I do twice.  As I'm not putting any pressure on myself about pace - I'll let the terrain decide what distance I end up covering.  Think I might head over to the Lakes/Peaks or somewhere to make those weekends more interesting...

• Options

That's exactly what I was thinking! I found this race in the Lakes that looks amazing and perfect timing for training....

http://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/15.html

You'll love the CTS as well. Very picturesque.

• Options

Hi everyone, just been told about this thread by Sleepy Bear who is my partner in The Wall next June.  Just read through all the posts and great to see so many tips and advice already, keep it going.  Also watched the utube video taken by a competitor from last year - great help - the link is on the third post on page 1 of this thread.

I've done 12 marathons now and this will be my first venture into the world of Ultra's - up until a few months ago the idea of an Ultra scared me to death but now i am so excited about the challenge it's unbelievable !!  Great to be doing it as a pair - Sleepy and i ran the Belper 30K race in the Peaks this year as a training run and we really enjoyed the gentle pace with walk breaks - and the beer and butties at the finish!!

I live in Reading but my home town is only 15 miles south of the finish (Seaham) so The Wall  is "local" for me in a sense.

I will follow this thread with great interest.  Good running all.

• Options

Hi Oscarr - am half an hour south from Seaham. Beer and butties sounds like a good way to finish a run. I was on holiday in New England last year and by complete coincidence the Rhode Island half marathon was on the day I was there, so I entered. At the end there was a huge free buffet laid on, including beer, pizza and bagels. I spent more time at the buffet than on the run image

• Options

I live in Whitely Bay, so considering whether to just keep going at the finish down the river to home. image

• Options

Thanks Weedy, i like the sound of Rhode Island beer and pizza  image

• Options

Grizedale Ultra 26, wasn't ready, didn't feel right but did it, and looking at the race director I should have know what to expect. If you want to test yourself try one of the events put on by these people. The hardest race I've done in my life, including the Wall from earlier in the year. just under 28 miles of every hill in between Coniston and Windermere, the downs were harder than the ups, a real challenge.

• Options
    I'm doing the wall 1 day event as well. Haven't run an ultra for 3 years but completed the A20 marathon yesterday and i felt great. Next up Born to Run in Feb, can't wait.
  • Options

Hi John. What was the ultra you did?

EKGO - sounds tough. I do a bit of walking over in the lakes and the thought of running the hills over there brings me out in a cold sweat. It's all good experience, though, and you'll be a better runner for it in the long run I guess.

Bees - Newcastle to Whitley Bay's nowt image

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    EKGO
    John MacKenzie

Two days
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

2014?
    Invisible Man
    Pammie

• Options
    After running a couple of half marathons and looking at the percentage of people who finish full marathons i decided that the London to Brighton sounded like a good challenge. The end goal is to run 100miles next year, i done my first ever marathon yesterday, got Born to Run in Feb, The Wall in June and hoping to get into the Ceasers Camp Challenge in October.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm in for 2 days. Run a good number of halfs but my only full Mara was London this year. Despite my dodgy old knee I just couldn't find a challenge that excited me for next year. Another Mara didn't seem enough! After lots of deliberation I've bitten the bullet...and was over the moon to see this thread. Already lots of great stuff here that I hadn't even considered.

Off to another website to look at trail shoes now...
  • Options

Hi RaRa, London must have been amazing.

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    EKGO
    John MacKenzie

Two days
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

2014?
    Invisible Man
    Pammie

• Options

EKGO- That sounds like a tough one!!! Looks fun though and like a worthwhile challenge.

RunningRaRa- be careful with trail shoes. If you read the reviews on here from last years race there were a few gripes that people didn't know that out and out trail shoes were not going to be the best idea (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=2&ugn=11587&en=64698)

• Options

I started to run marathons this year. I was lucky at the ballot, so first was London and have done 12 in the last 7 months. Last saturday night before the A20 I just could not think with a clear head and entered the 1 day Wall run. It is good to see that I am not the only crazy person here.

• Options

I have to say it was a tough one for me personally, I don't like hills, I wasn't ready, I can't navigate past my local supermarket, and after a recent holiday in Italy was probably best part of a stone overweight, but I needed it for the navigation. Others made it look much easier and I would certainly not rule it out again in the future, one of the most scenic runs I've ever seen, and the hard ones do you most good

• Options
    Checkmate-wow! Seriously impressed.
  • Options

Checkmate - ditto from me. How'd you end up doing 12 in 7?

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    John MacKenzie

Two days
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

2014?
    Invisible Man
    Pammie

• Options

I tought if I start training and get fit for the first one I should not lose my fitness so entered a few more. I was quite disappointed with my result in London, but in the same time I enjoyed it, so I wanted to do better. There are many guys doing 12 in a year so I thought I will do the same. But I started a bit late (28th april) and I was afraid of the winter so I wanted Snowdonia to be the last one. But I have missed the Fairlands50 (I was not ready for that) and nearly all june-july, so I had to do 4 in september and take one extra the "A20" last weekend. Next year I try to do a bit more and spread them a bit better.

• Options
    Hi guys,

After completing a couple of marathons this year, I fancied doing something different next year... and spotted this in the latest RW mag. Always wanted to do an ultra so now might be a good time of any to step up.

Just now need to convince the missus. I work away from home during the week so weekends are primetime for doing things with the wife and little one. Although I can get a fair amount of training done in the week, it's trying to squeeze in this long runs at the weekend is normally the problem.

So at the minute I'm a maybe for the 1-dayer.

I shall keep popping back into to see how you are all going.... happy running.
  • Options

Gramck - They could come with and support? image

Just think, all that quality country air and stuff... could even be educational.

• Options

Wowsers - you lot are amazing - I'm still getting my head around this multiple marathons a year lark so it's great to hear all your tales! 

Gramck - know what you mean - would they be willing to go out with you - on bike (+trailer for littley if still very littley) - make it into family adventure time?  My other half is coming along to support for the weekend (he doesn't do long or slow!) so she wouldn't be the only partner there. 

• Options
    pursuedbyangrybees wrote (see)

Gramck - They could come with and support? image

Just think, all that quality country air and stuff... could even be educational.

Think of it like Roman history and PE lessons rolled into one

• Options
    My wife and little one (4yo) will support me but it's not really their bag to be dragged out for a few hours at the weekend whilst I'm running. Which is fine and I don't mind.

I just need to be mindful of when I do my training so that it doesn't eat too much into the weekend. This may mean going and doing long runs at 5/6am to get done early and not impact on the rest of the day. Probably wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't working away during the week.

I'm sure it will be fine. image
  • Options
    I'm doing the wall over 2 days with some friends from the gym. It will be my first ultra run. Can anyone help with what kind of/ size hydration pack/bag I need to carry all my kit? Thanks
  • Options

Iam also doing the wall over 2 days, Portsmouth and Gloucester marathon then Born to run ultra!!

• Options
    I was hoping to do Portsmouth but can't now, but also doing Gloucester and Born to Run