Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options

Anyone want to take a punt at what proprortion of the field Weedy is going to end up listing by the time we get to June? image

Good work Weedy, and nice to see the list building - I'll have to think of some way to be easy to notice in the crowd when we arrive - "man runs with live chicken on head" was the first thing that popped in there, but not sure if that will fit the kit list for headwear...?

• Options
    Rw name on back pack would work
  • Options

Just back off holiday and great to see so many people that are doing the run.  Looking forward to the recci next weekend.  I need to start looking at my training and finding a nice marathon in the build up to the race in June,  

• Options

Hi Louise and Pinkbug

Louise - someone who did the run last year might correct me, but I'd guess you won't need a massive hydration bladder. I use a Camelbak Ultra, which has a two-litre bladder, which I think will be more than plenty as the pit stops are only about 15 miles apart. I might not even fill it all the way up depending what the weather's like on the day. I think it's going to be a squeeze fitting everything in my pack that's on the checklist, but reckon it's doable.

Bees - the list's going to be enormous if it keeps growing at this rate. The Rat Race lot do seem to be heavily promoting the run - you can't move for adverts about it. I don't remember as much promotion last year. Maybe they treated last year as a test event and didn't want too many people entering. It would mean they're confident they've ironed out the few wrinkles I've heard about like the burger van breakfast and shoddy medals.

Names on packs sounds like a plan. Altho no one's going to see mine as I'll be bringing up the rear image I was thinking maybe we could arrange a meal in Carlisle the night before for anyone who fancies it. And/or drinks in Newcastle on the Sunday night as well for any of us hanging around afterwards.

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    John MacKenzie

Two days
    Louise Hall
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pinkbug
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

• Options
    I took the smallest bladder I could get away with, maybe just on 1 litre, looking at the support en route it was enough, there was a stop available every so many miles probably the longest gap was 15 (stand to be corrected) food was ready and really other than carting lots of weather gear, lamps and other stuff I would go for the smallest pack you can cram.

Carlisle meal would be good but they were short of decent eating places so if that's a goer it needs booking.
  • Options

Meal before and beer after sound grand.

I intend to pack the biggest bladder I can manage, less toilet stops that way. image

In my usual way, thinking about the next thing afterwards - vague notion about running St Cuthbert's Way later 2013... spot on 100km Melrose to Lindisfarne, waymarked route.

• Options
    Never run with a hydration pack before....is it a pain/ how heavy?
  • Options

The bag was a right pain and weighed about 4-5kg depending on the water, plenty of Vaseline under the tee-shirt where the straps sit

• Options
    I use a 2 litre camalback and don't suffer any chaffing issues. When i have to carry extra gear i have a salmon rucksack that has padded shoulder straps and a waste strap that has two handy pouches in. Never suffered any chaffing issues with that either. I always use Gore running tops and Nike Dry Fit shorts, never had to use any lube to prevent chaffing. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right products but it was worth it. I ran London to Brighton with no rubbing issues or blisters. I did have an argument with a barb wire fence and a bramble bushm which were my only injuries of the day.
  • Options

Ronhill do a trail short that has a stretchy inner short and more voluminous outer - also has a water repellent finish. Bought them after last year's Blaydon Race in a non-stop downpour and have found them very good, no chafing...

• Options

Bees - You doing North Tyneside 10k? Posted my entry this morning

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the earlier posting, Amster, Mr Amster and I are meeting up on Saturday, Dec 1, to do a recce of the first section of the route, from Carlisle to Lanercost. If anyone's free and wants to join in, you'd be more than welcome. Just message either of us. Plan is to meet at Lanercost at 11am, then drive to Carlisle, leave one of our cars, run, then drive back to Carlisle in the other car.

• Options

Fer sure! As I work over the road from the events team, I handed mine in on Friday night.

Recce sounds ace, but need to take photos of the house to get it on the market - time to downsize and cut the ol' mortgage.

Has anyone seen the Harvey's route map for Hadrian's Wall? If so, is it as indestructible as they say? Actually planning on getting the one for St. Cuthbert's Way - just noticed it's exactly 100km, and that sounds ripe for a run... thinking September, maybe, if plans work out. Used to live by Melrose where it starts - lovely place, even if the first section over the Eildon Hills looks a bit full on.

• Options

See you on the start line...

I haven't seen Harvey's, sorry. I've got the National Trail Guide for Hadrian's Wall, published by Aurum. It's a decent guide, altho I found that the maps in it show you the route, but not enough of the landscape either side to help you get your bearings. Depending on the page, you sometimes get less than 100 metres from the route to the edge where they've cropped the map. I was thinking about photocopying sections of the OS map onto pocket sized pages and getting them laminated.

St Cuthbert's Way sounds great. Be a spectacular finish running over the causeway to Lindisfarne.

• Options

Doesn't sound so good on the Aurum guide - the only thing putting me off the Harveys one (though it's on order from Hamazon as of ten minutes ago) is that it's a 1:40,000 and I'm more of a 1:25,000 type of chap.

If it looks like coming together, I'll post a thred, and if anyone fancies a pop at the same time, then they'd be more than welcome. The causeway does sound ace, but I reckon a bit of planning required to make sure you make it to run over rather than coracle across.. image

I've only come across a couple of runs on what is a two/three day long distance walk so far, and the last of those back in 2000. He made it in just over 12 hours.

• Options

I am thinking of buying a backpack. I do not have all the gear yet, so I can not imagine  what size of a bag I will need. I would like to run multi day races in the future. I can not decide if a 10L backpack is enough or should I go for a bit bigger one?

• Options

Morning all - thought I'd just pop in and see how every one is!  Sadly I'm on a sports massage course weekend on 1 December and not sure I'd be able to do any real distance just now anyway as I'm trying to be sensible and have a little autumnal rest phase! Very jealous of your recce trip - will look forward to hearing about it.

Really liking the idea of our forum names on us somewhere - will have to look in to iron on letters etc - I've always wondered how people put their names on their vests - anyone done it before???

checkmate - I'm also considering using a 10L but I too am not sure it'll be enough and have a back up 25L.  I guess it depends on how much you want to carry - The mandatory AND recommended kit will quite happily fit in my 10L but if you want extra food and water it might be a squeeze.  Looks like they recommend a 20L on the website.  How about you make a pile that equates to what you want to carry (you can pretend with some things and use a substitute until you've acquired your dream gear pile).  A 25L will see you through races where you also have to carry overnight kit so it really depends on your plans...

Might have to get a copy of the Harvey's map to put on the wall to keep me inspired - now where's that letter to Santa...

• Options

I had a look at the mandatory and recommended kit this morning - looks like it will all fit in a 10l with room for a small bladder. Half thinking you could fit it in a large bumbag...

Intersted that the waterproof top doesn't specify taped seams - my Ronhill top doesn't have tape, but does anyone have experience of whether that's what they really mean?

• Options

When it says on the list you need to carry 100 calories of food with you, it seems low. Do they mean 1,000?

• Options

I think I will buy a 20L bag. I can not see a problem running with a half empty/full bag.

pursuedbyangrybees- I think taped seams are sign of a real waterproof gear. When a waterproof material is sewed through, there will be tiny punch holes through the waterproofing. These holes need to be sealed up, and the easiest way to do that is for the manufacturer to apply a hot-melt tape over the seams. It’s rather like Sellotape which sticks when you iron it on. 

• Options

I'm more thinking towards angry bees way of thinking. Whilst I'm really pedantic with safety and not getting caught out I feel like most of the kit could fit in a small bag as remember we will have a drop bag at half way. I can't stand the thought of getting caught out and always pack double what I need but I always fit it in my small pack. This doesn't attribute for the fact of the sheer distance we'll be covering but the checkpoints (going on the videos) should hopefully have sandwiches and some solids although again I'm loath to rely on possibilities and get caught out as I know how much that will hurt!

As far as clothing goes I'm definitely planning on taking several thin layers so I can adjust throughout depending on conditions. I know that may make my pack a bit heavier and crammed but I feel it'll be worth it.

On the other note I'd definitely be up for us all meeting up before/after! Are you all planning on staying at the castle the night before? I definitely am as I'm foreign (NZ) and we don't have castles there so I'm jumping at the chance! Also, I don't really have mates that are into running so it would be great to meet some like minded people image Trying to convince my missus to come support as well!

• Options

Weedy - I wondered that, 100 calories is half a Mars Bar or thereabouts, and that just doesn't seem like much. Mind, judging by the video of this year's event there is plenty  treats to stuff in your bag at the checkpoints, so maybe it's just enough to get you to checkpoint one where you can stock up on caramel shortbread?

Checkmate - yup to the taped seams - might drop them a line, I like my Ronhill, but it's not hill-top gale kind of protection. I figure that the water will get in regardless and that the seams aren't so much of an issue, more prolonging the inevitable decline of my dryness. Plus, if it's too good, then it'll stop more moisture getting out, which means I get wet from the inside instead...

Benjamin - thinking about staying over, though it's a bit more expense I don't need right at the moment - if I do then I'm up for a meal and a hello. Would be great to meet up with a runner from other shores. image

Carlisle Castle is pretty nice, and I reckon you'll like Carlisle, I've shot a few weddings over there and it's a canny place.

• Options

I wouldn't bother too much about carrying food, there was so much on offer it was crazy, last year I was sick of the sight of Sandwiches, millionaires shortbread, mars bars etc.

I think the 100 calories is in the event you actually get caught out and feel bad through the run whilst you are away from check points.

• Options

Been trying to do some research on training plans for this and it's a bit of a minefield if i'm honest.

Horses for course and all that. I know it will be down to the individual and what works for them. But does anyone have a decent training schedule for this type of distance that they would like to impart on a newbie.

Thanks.

• Options

Benjamin - what part of New Zealand you in? You coming over especially for it? Can't let the missus stay at home! Sure there'll be plenty of people's partners she could join up with and come and see you at the checkpoints and along the way. If she doesn't fancy a tent and needs somewhere to stay on the Saturday night, there's the Twice Brewed Inn, which is about a mile from the campsite. http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk/ I stayed there twice and I'd recommend it, altho some of the rooms aren't en-suite, so I'd make sure to ask if you want one.

I'm booked up in the Angus Hotel in Carlisle http://www.angus-hotel.co.uk/ Again, I stayed there twice and I'd recommend it. 13 mins walk to the castle according to google. Breakfasts are usually from 7.30am but I asked and they said they didn't mind putting on an earlier breakfast, especially if there was a few of us. I use porridge pots and a kettle anyway, so I'm not worried about what time breakfast is.

• Options

angrybees- Nice one! Loving the sense of community in this forum in comparison to some of the others you read on here image

gramck24- I'm planning on using the one on the site for the race itself. Let us know if you find a better one though...

Weedy- I actually live here (in greater London) but am originally from Christchurch in the south island. If anyone ever wants some beautiful runs head that way. I'm trying to convince the missus of the same so shall pass on your nice words and thanks for the heads up!

• Options

Hi all

gramck24 - I'm gonna give this one a crack:

ultra plan

(though I will be playing it by ear and not sticking to any particular pace!)

You need to scroll down below the white space to see the plan itself...

Benjamin - nice part of the world!  I had a great trip down there a few years ago - would love to run Gillespie's Pass now I'm a bit fitter!

• Options

Hi all its so nice to see so many of us up for this run, really looking forward to it, and looking forward to this weekends recci.  .

• Options
    Hi ekgo. Just read you not doing Portsmouth hope you can make Gloucester.I'm been hit with a chest infection but hope to do Portsmouth..
  • Options

Things I've learnt today...

1: Amster and Mr Amster are very nice
    2: Amster doesn't like ice
    3: Ice is slippy
    4a: If there's a sheet of ice in a field, there's a good chance there's a layer of ankle-deep freezing water underneath
    4b: My ankles don't like freezing water
    5: It's a nightmare getting pictures from a Blackberry phone onto a computer

Full report on the Carlisle to Lanercost section to follow in a day or two (and hopefully one or two inspiring pictures Sleepy Bear) In the meantime, here's the elevation profile from my Garmin - Carlisle on the left. Hills on the profile look a bit hillier than they are in reality.

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Carlisle_to_Lanercost_elevation.jpg

• Options

Nice one Weedy - good tip on the ice, too. Also, very glad they're not actualy as steep as the profile looks like, or I'd need to bring a rope...