P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    chickadeee wrote (see)

You fast boys are proper race whippets 

That explains why I'm so slow image

Cheers Mark/15W - I just want to get it done now image

I could definitely feel the lag this morning from yesterday's training/racing and a lousy night's sleep.  Although it was only a 16m LR, it was tough going at times keeping with the pace plan.  I've completed it as planned, but feel quite drained right now.

Pace plan: 10:48 to 9:54

10:21/10:41/10:36/10:47/10:40/10:16/10:13/10:11/10:06/10:03

9:51/9:51/9:40/9:54/9:53/9:45  

avg. 10:10

First week of the taper done and dusted.  43m for the week, and my highest ever monthly total to date: 216m.

• Options

20.7 today, first 10 easy, next 8 around 7:15, last few miles around 6:40, forgot my water & carb gels so ran on nothing.  Felt very well and finsihed strong.  Snow is beginning to thaw nicely.

Hope you all have a good run today.

• Options
    22 miles in 2.49 averaged about 7.40 pace, legs felt quite strong all the way, felt like I could have picked the pace up if I had to.

Job done now, taper time!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

...and what a beautiful day for my last 22 mile run! A bird shat on me at mile 18. image

But otherwise I had a good run, despite having to ad lib the last few miles of my route because of a closed towpath. Managed to get to 22 right outside my front door though! Found it hard to keep the pace sensible and I'm glad I did that 14 mile mp run now or I'd be quite worried about my crap pacing skills. 2.53, average 7.50, with last 5 miles at around mp or a bit quicker (by mistake).

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

...and what a beautiful day for my last 22 mile run! A bird shat on me at mile 18. image

Lit that is an omen its meant to be good luck, it means you will blast VLM

Nice long runs everyone, we are getting there image

• Options

Did the interval session today - 12 miles inlcuding 5 by 1200m.  Had done the 22 miler on Friday, mixed things up a bit this week.

Total of 302.64 miles for March.

• Options

22.5 for me today. Average 7.50 pace. Heart rate suspiciously high throughout. Putting it down to work stress and not enough sleep. Today I do not feel I'm capable of a sub3 marathon.

Excellent mileage gang.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    22 for me in 2hr36 along the coast in Kent. 2nd half was a real battle against the wind.

Now for some chocolate.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Al, good thing you're not meant to be capable of a sub3 marathon today, then - not sure the last day of heavy training before the taper, when you've done a longer run than scheduled and run your midweek MLR quite hard is the best day to judge...

• Options

Some good long runs today, Al I had that feeling the other day, but today after a half marathon  last sunday a 15 mile midweek run and a 10k race on Friday, I felt great on todays 21.  Its strange how the body & mind can change, I felt today at mile 21 I could of picked it right up and just carried on.  

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Mark last time I saw 8 stone was when I was 12image nice running today and the final 22 for you in the bankimage

Ten well done on todays 16 and thats a great months statsimage

Craig great 20 with no gels or water, ive run the last 7 long runs on just water just to burn a bit more fatimage 

Lit thats great running just keep a lid on it on the day image

Surry thats great stats for the month and great runningimage

Al-runs but thats another great run in the bank and if you have not been sleeping and with the work stress you will be fine after a good taperimage

15 West well done on the 22 same here with the wind but no eggs in this houseimage

22 miles banked this morning in 2:41image

Stats for the month:

Runs 38, time 40:57:40, avg pace 7:26, total miles 330.81image

Swims 8, Time 5:34, total miles 8. image

• Options
    Al, don't panic just yet. You'll feel miles better after a good taper.

NP, I've just been saying that to my mate on twitter, he was asking why I don't have injured knees after playing football for years, I said its because I'm still built like a 10 year old! image

Well done today and this month, you must win the award for hardest trainer on the forum!

Good running everyone else, it sounds like a decent last weekend for most people.

It's been 261 miles for me this month, should have been higher but I couldn't help missing a few runs. 765 miles this year.
  • Options

Hmm weight, perhaps add a few stone for me Chris, 12st9lbs.

On  taper, 22 miles in 3.09 for me, slow 5, slightly quicker 15, fast mile at 21 to check something left and then cruise home for last mile.  Felt good, weather  cold but no wind so great for long  run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291245685

Some great last long runs from all.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

7 mile recovery to bring me upto 70 for the week and 240 for the month. Both highest ever totals but looking at the totals of others on here leaves me wondering if I have done enoughimage

Some cracking long runs by all this weekend. Coming to the boil very nicely.

Anyone here got any experience of asics ds trainers or racers? Thinking of getting a new pair.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

12 and a half stone - 6'1". Could do with losing a couple before London.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

A couple of stones Men? That would be a bit extreme in 3 weeks!

I was considering losing 5lb to get down to 8 and half before starting this programme, but it turned out I couldn't be bothered.

• Options

Amazing totals NP. I think I have done about 250 miles for the month (which looks rubbish in comparison).

Had a nice easy 5 mile recovery today and am still undecided about travelling to do a 10k in Yeovil tomorrow. I really want to get a PB in case the marathon goes tits up, but I'm worried about racing after yesterdays long run. Decisions Decisions....

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    10 stone 8 pounds here still want to get down to 10stn 7lbs image started in Nov at 11stn 8lbs, I know when I'm near racing weight everyone tells me I need to put some weight on image

Chris you can give it a blast I've been doing tempo runs on Tuesdays after running 22 miles on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Just heading off to give it a go. Had a look at last years results and it looks like there will be a lot of fast boys and girls here. 37 minutes wouldn't have got a top 30 place last year. Bit out of my depth. I knew I should have planned a local one. Eek!
  • Options

I did the Salford 10K the other day, I came 73rd with a 36:24, exceptionally fast field, a few under 30 minutes. Be looking forward to know how you get on.

• Options
    Wow. Now that is strength in depth! Still can't get my head around the guys running sub 30s. It's crazy. I won't be getting near your time today, that's bloody quick. Hoping to get under 38 but who knows how the legs will respond after this weeks bashing.
  • Options

My legs were tight going into the 10K, I had run Wilmslow Half on the Sunday, a midweek 15 which I ran too fast, I very nearly did not start the race, once I got going I soon loosened up, had a dip just after half way but really picked it up last 2 miles and finished strong.  Anyway have a good one, rest for me today and a double recovery day tomorrow.

• Options
    Good luck Chris! I predict a sub 37.
  • Options
    Nailed 36.06. Absolutely chuffed, bit gutted to not break 36 - the last mile was into a terrible headwind which killed the pace at the end. Still I genuinely never thought I could get that time. Certainly not in those conditions and after 23 miles Saturday. Am bouncing with happiness!
  • Options

Well done Chris imageI must look at the results as I know a few from my club were running that race

• Options
    Tell them they are brave. It was freezing and bloody windy. The cream egg at the end nearly made up for it!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done Chris! I particularly enjoyed the shift from 'hoping to get under 38' to 'gutted to not break 36'. image

• Options
    It was just soooo close. In a torturesque manner you could see the clock ticking over all the way for the final bit!
  • Options
    Brilliant time Chris! I think you'll smash 3 hours in London. image