Options

Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Options

3.8k swim OW last night, bike comute this morning, day off training on Saturday, half marathon on Sunday.

Full of beans at the moment

Which is good as I like pingu have 2 big weeks left

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

thanks for the comments.

seren - noted 4 weeks, oh my god, swimming, cycling, running still pants!!

Big last day training planned for saturday 15th as oh and daughter out for day, then taper starts.

1 hour swim.

rest and meal.

5 hour bike.

rest and meal.

1 hour run.

Collapse with curry and cider!!

• Options

TJ - nice session - i have done a few of these in the past.

Bike - go at your expected race pace, (what ever that is) or effort/hr
    see how you go / whether it degrades or not over time.  
    Get an idea of pacing - ie go 'easy' to start then build into the ride rather than killing the first hour then crash and burn on the last 3.......
    take / practice race day nutrition as far as possible

Run - See how it feels.  Jelly or shattered legs are fine - run very easy for the first 10 minutes then go to your expected IM run pace.... (or whatever you can manage).
    Back off / stop immediatley if you pull anything - you should not be treating the run as a speed session.

Bike - you will probably go too hard but thats the idea of the session - to discover a sustainable pace
    Run - you will discover your IM pace is probably lower than your training run pace.... but thats fine - just keep going image

hope that helps

Seren - you planning anything similar?

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

almost there EP, you have done a fantastic job with all the training.

16th is fathers day and I have the pleasure of a whole day in the gallery watching my daughter swim in a gala.

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

OC thats the plan, i KNOW i will be chasing cut offs all day, but I am fine with that.

Plan on the day is to see if I can the swim cut off, get on the bike do my best as far as I can and then see what happens next?

Reason for bringing new bike purchase forward is that on the one 105 mile ride I have done noticed a massive drop off after all the climbing, so got massive cassette on new bike so that I can spin and save energy as a big lad. That's the theory anyway, will see tomorrow, going to try the local tri loop that I did 3 times last week, once pushing just under hr, one pushing in big gear and one just cruising. Times ranged down from 16mph, 14mph and 12 for 16mile loop.

• Options

Long run done - well12.5 miles. After 8 legs said enough. Obviously not totally recovered from sunday but I guess mental power will stand me in good stead in 4 weeks so pushed on. Actually I had no choice. No-one at home to come and rescue meimage

I'm planning 1 more longer run next week and 2 more long bike rides and 3 week taper. Will swim twice a week throughout at the lake.

• Options

EP surely calf guards are coverings below the knee and therefor not permittedimage

Sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's only for non-wetsuit swims. Calf guards under your wetsuit are absolutely fine.

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Like EP I had a lovely OW swim thiS week...the sun was out, warmer water etc.

Only did 2k, but had already done 1.75miles in the pool that morning and a longish run.

I'll be doing next to nothing for the next week...I'm working all weekend (-as in on duty from sat 8:30 until about 6:30pm Monday, with the bulk of that actually on the shop floor working...) theN recovering from that and packing/ dismantling bike to go to the alps for a week on Friday.

We won't be doing huge mileage but it'll be at altitude and obviously a little hilly, so that will take me up until 2 weeks to go.

Then I'll do as little as I can manage to do ( I really struggle not to do stuff...it's pretty compulsive!!)

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

All this talk of race pace.

I have absolutely no idea what my race pace will be.

I only hope to goodness it's faster than my training pace...

I am clearly a numpty when it comes to training. I generally just do stuff. My only strategy has been to try to do 3 runs and 3 bikes each week with a long one of each if injury/ work/ weather allows

Too late now....

• Options

k9

your swim pace is your nice steady long swim pace that you go at on your long sessions

your bike race pace is at the effort level you do your long bikes at... just go a little easier for the first hour... get the HR down after the swim / excitement of T1.  then build through the ride.  If you feel good go a little quicker in the last third, otherwise just hold the effort level.

your run pace is whatever you feel you can hold...... it will degrade but thats IM - just keep going image

see you at the finish line with a grin your face image

• Options

K9 - OC is spot on - to me race pace is whatever I've got on the day that I think I can sustain for the distance. You can have the best prep in the world and a bad day and vice versa, I always think that with IM you never know what you're going to get until the day.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Has anyone run a negative split in an IM marathon?

• Options

image Not sure I will unless I walk the first half entirely, hehehe

• Options

Using the term 'run' loosely (it took over five hours) I ran a negative split in IMWA.

• Options

i'd go for the bike ride

• Options

100m ride in 5h 20m. Bang on race pace so happy with that (Except running out of High5 drink for the last 20m). pCan someone book a repeat of today's weather for July 7th. Glorious. On that note, anyone recommend good sun cream that does not run?

• Options

Stanners - P20 (and I think they do higher factors of it now too).

EP - one today and the other tomorrow!

• Options

They do, they've got a P20 that's a factor 50, used it in Lanza, still burnt, lol.

Just back from a fab 50+ mile cycle, really wanted to do longer but have a tri tomorrow.

Stanners, that's an amazing time for 100m!

I have put in a request for todays weather on the 7th of July.

• Options

New wheels (2nd hand) delivered today For outlaw.  Mavic cosmic ultimates.  Will need all the help I can get!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

That's an incredible time for 100m Stanners...

OC - what I meant about race pace is that all my training is comletely distance based.....and the pace is just whatever it ends up being - invariably slow. There is no science behind it at all, and no official training schedule. It just fits around the weather, my work, and my niggles...

Judging by my training rides I'm currently on track for an 8 hour bike leg, which allows little spare capacity for anything to go wrong.

I can only hope that the taper and adrenaline on the day give me some surprise speed. My race pace on the day is always faster than I think I can actually do, so fingers crossed.

Who knows what the 'run' will bring though - that's just survival in my books.

I have a lot of niggly injuries right now, so need to really be careful now - right foot pain, left knee, right hamstrings and sciatica...

EP - do as long a bike as you can fit in tomorrow then do a short run immediately after.

• Options

Guys n Girls your pace and energy will be a lot higher you will be tapered and rested, its race day your adrenaline will be flowing just dont let yourself get carried away to soon in the race image

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

1.2 mile swim and 70 mile bike finSlow but but done definitely feeling the effects of last weekend. 

• Options

Off to the east Cornwall coast for a long run and sea swim with Wilson the Mighty Iron Dog, the weather looks great have a great days training everyoneimage not long to go don't do anything daft and get injured nowimage

• Options

Gettting ready to go do an 18 miler, urggggh. Not looking forward to it i have to say. Was psyched for it then barely slept last night, so waiting for brekkie to go down then i'm out of here. Meant to leave at 5am, but reset alarm cos too tired, lol.  Happy training everyone!