Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

still can't run (chest wall) image

FionaC - thought at first you were just being inappropriately pessimistic when you said you'd be last. Odd indeed!

IJ don't overdo it!

• Options

lots of concern, cheers guys!

I don't feel like I'm overdoing it yet, though 11 weeks to race day and I'm running higher mileage than every before! no 20s yet though, and until I gte a few in I'll feel like I'm not ready! maybe this weekend...?!

• Options

Bit of a change of plan this week. Have ended up helping my brother move flat, so won't be hillwalking, and still haven't got out for a decent length run yet. Pumped out another 6 there, but still feeling a bit under the weather. HR very high for the speed I'm running.

Will try for 12 tomorrow then rest on Friday.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great MP run Teknik!

Stewart/Teknik the plan has 3 speed sessions a week, a long run, 2 easy runs then twice a week a short double. One day no run but active rest - swim or cycle. So really more Daniels than P & D style.

Jason - 20 * 400!! I thought 10 was tough with 90s recoveries! Good luck with that.

OH I really cannot do speed. Hope that this changes that a little! image

Hope you recover soon Stuart.

F

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((OH)))

Hope you feel better soon.

IJ,

Hope the feet are okay now.

Stuart,

Sounded like a tough run.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Woohoo!!!image Feel that I am making progress nowimage Track session done and dusted with each rep being either 84, 85 or 86 seconds (consistent!) and the 10k done and dusted in 38.28, feeling comfortable. Especially pleased after yesterday's 20 mins of hill repeats. Think my 10k PB may be adjusted in Swansea in October. Maybe my 5k on Sunday tooimageimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great session Jason - so fast for so many!! image

An easy 8 miles for me.

Eating for Britain today - very hungry. image

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps sorry not been on here for the past two days but after the cross country finishing so late and a very early start yesterday and very late finish last night, plus the fact where I was there was no siphoned signal it was impossible for me to post. So here goes on two race reports.

Got to the cross country early to watch three runners from the Fire Service run the 10k and they all came away with medals image which was fantastic especially pleased as Paula won a second gold and work with me in the past. I bad felt stiff after the steeplechase and from the warmup knew I was not at my best. The course was two laps around the grounds of Stormont which was a little undulating. At the start I positioned myself behind the guy who won the 5000m on the track and leg him ease away from me and another guy in my age group. At the end of the first lap I was in fourth place and knew that my race was over as my legs seemed to have nothing in them, knowing that I was racing the next day in an event that I thought I stood a good chance of doing well in I slowed the pace down and let another guy pass me. So I finished 5th in a time of 19.50  image After the race and whilst waiting to watch the medal presentations I managed to get a massage from a one of the stands, the girl said that my hamstrings where very tight and she worked on them a lot. Getting home late I ran a cold bath and jumped in image I was up early to get to the next venue, sitting on the bus which took all the athletes there it was nice to be with a great mixture from around the work, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Germany, USA, France, Belgum, Ireland, Russia. Funny how everyone can communicate with there hands. There where four heats and I went in heat four which was due to start at 2:30 after the first heat it was already running an hour late this was followed by another delay..... So I started my race at about 4:10. Each heat was in age groups which where mixeI there is a 5 second gap between each person starting unfortunately I was the second person away so only had one to chase down. the run was three laps of an out and back course, after the first and second lap you then shoot. Most of the run was on road exept for the last 250M which was along soft sand on the beach. I had walked the course and was shocked to see the beach......

The plan was to run it like an interval session hard on the road jog the beach, at the first turn round point I was at the front a with a good lead and my legs felt great (what a difference from the night before) on the range my shoot went well I managed to control my breathing by walking to the firing point. Out for the second lap and the legs just seemed to get better with each step my lead was increasing and going onto the beach I managed to go a little faster. At the turn round point for the second time running back along the beach I got a good look at the others who where running well. The second shoot went well and after throwing my ear plugs away and safety goggles on exiting the range I put the foot down getting onto the beach and reaching the turn round point with no one else on the beach apart from one who was running off on there second lap. so with someone to chase down and the legs feeling good I pushed hard. Crossing the line well in the lead. Now this is few here the fun starts as you gain and lose time on the shoot. After everyone had finished we went forward to check the targets, it's impossible to see everyone's but I could they'll by those around me that I had done well image. After a long wait and managing to get some much needed food into me the medals where given out. So in third place was a Police Officer from the USA, Secon

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Secondsecond was a Police Officer from Belguim and first place was....... Meimage winning my second gold medal of the games, I'm over the moon and on cloud 9. Northern Ireland has won 21 gold medals so far and I have two of them so father first four weeks of my retirement from the Fire Service has been very eventfull image The next games are in two years time in Fairfax USA so I've now got to look at defending my titlesimage 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Loved the report NP and congratulations, another gold!! imageimageimageimage You did so well and sounds like you were flying yesterday! Being 5th in the XC alone is a great achievement! It sounds like a fantastic event you must have enjoyed every minute of it. You'll have to have another target now or you'll be feeling really flat after that. image

F

• Options

Hi NP,  I agree with Fiona, Thats two great reports. I love the fact that you have branched out to the XC and Bithalon and won two golds in what are not you standard disciplines. I sounds like you have had plenty of fun doing them two..... Congratulations on the second Gold image

Thanks for the best wishes folks. I am still not right as yet - but today was the first day that I have awoke not coughing up mucus, so I am hopefully on the mend and will be running next week after 2 weeks out... so looking forward to a nice "jog".... image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Well done.  That's awesome.

Jason,

That's quick.

AGF,

That's encouraging for you.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Np- great report and excellent result- well doneimageimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Jason excellent track session last night image

OH wish you well soonimage

IJ well done on the increased miles

Stuart well done on the 6, hope you shake that lurgy soon

Fiona 3 speed sessions per week ! Eek ! Nice easy 8m

HM hi

NP another gold !! Woo-hoo !!imageimage  Great haul for Team NI too image  What a week !imageimage

AGF sounds good, hope you're up and running soon

---

Lovely weather here for running - sunny but not too warm.  I ran to the club, chased through the woods and then ran home - 14.29m in total.image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, good to see the progress with the MP runs,

SM, well done getting the run done, hopefully you'll be right as rain in no time

Fiona, looks like the coach wants you to work on your speed, can't wait to hear how it is all going to pan out

NP congratulations on winning your second gold medal of the games, great report too image

AGF, hopefully it won't be long, good news it sounds like your chest is clearing

-------------------------------

12 mile run last night with 10 @ MP, couldn't get the legs going, my left leg down the outside stiffens up after around 6 miles which made it all the harder

MP stats: 10.02mi, 1:32:00, 9:11mm, 154(82%)

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

A stone of muscle would be nice but alas i think not image

Fiona - 3 speed sessions ? image

OH - hope you can run soon

AGF - likewise, i'll check the P&D advice ( sorry, i forgot ) unless you have the book ?

Stewart - maybe ITB related and some ITB stretches may be in order ?

NP - you are the thread hero , that's fantastic and has made me smile image No doubt you're feeling a bit happier than post VLM

Aiming for another 50+ week and found my threshold session quite tough this morning ( probably due to the increased miles and cutting back the carbs to sort my monumental weight gain image) 5 x 1m @ 6:50av off 60 sec jog ... the plan was 6 reps but was feeling it after the 5th so happy with around 35mins threshold work. I can't fathom how i managed 10k @ 6:39 pace a few weeks back though, strange game this running !!??

• Options

NP - Great going and great reports imageimageimage

Managed a 3 mile slow jog today - kind of progress ...?image

• Options

OH - Well done on at least managing a short run.

Mace - Good session even if you didn't get as many reps as you'd like. 5 x1 miles @10k pace +11 secs sounds bloody tough, especially if you're dong it alone.

Stewart - Nice MP effort last night, that'll build some confidence for next monthimage

Tek - Nice distance for the day!

AGF - Hope you're on the mend

NP - Great stuffimage Well done on another gold and even 5th in the XC is good going knowing the legs didn't have it in them!

Fiona - Nice 8 miler. 3 speed sessions a week sounds mental!

Jason - Nice speedwork. Good luck for the 5k

------------

10.5 miles @ 9:22av for me this afternoon.

Quite enjoyed this, well, until the rain came out and soaked me for the last mile and a bit. That's my excuse for only running 10.5, not 12. Well that and google maps overestimated the length of the loop I was runningimage

HR still far too high, and I've also noticed that my trainers are through 1000km so think I better look to replace them soonimage

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

OH, good to hear

Stuart,I haven't run in rain for ages and am missing it

AGF, P&D guidance on lost training is :

Less than 10 days lost = resume schedule

10-20 days 8+ weeks out = resume schedule

10-20 days less than 8 weeks out = revise goal

20+ days = revise goal

• Options

Thanks mace, I will be revising goal to "get round comfortably". Will dump the garmin and run to feel. ( will wear it but ignore it)

Thanks for best wishes guys. Will be more proactive on here from next week. One more full days if rest tomorrow before saturday parkrun with Lulu and Claire image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

AGF make sure you are properly recovered before starting running!! Us runners are the worst for starting back too soon (Stuart!? image)

OH I hope your chest is better.

Any running with you HM4?

Teknik that sounds a lovely run this morning. image

Stewart that is a tough run, well done. Definitely sounds like the ITB - look out the foam roller! imageimage

mace running is indeed strange - race numbers have odd powers! image With the increased miles and the weight will soon come off.

A treadmill run for me - 10 mins warm up then ten lots of 2 mins on/off. Worked out roughly 500m/400m. 7 miles in total. Feel better for it. An active rest day tomorrow!

F

• Options

further 4.6 with JS group, sore while running but no worse afterwards image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Hi.

Fiona,

No.  I had every intention of running yesterday however came back from the garage (car was in with handbrake problems) and had a migraine which really threw things out as had a run and more decorating planned & neither happened.

--------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

Last night's 10-12 steady became 12.2 at... steady! yay! 9:30 average pace, exactly, so I felt good with that.

Hurt like hell today, and tonight's club run felt very tirin and lethargic at the start. I jogged 2 miles from home, then still slowly for the first mile with clubmates. Got more into my stride down the hill and ran the next 4 or so miles with one of the older runners which kept me going at a steady 9 ish pace. 10 miles back to the club, so I caught a lift from another clubmate to save running another two miles!

5.3 or more tomorrow to make another 50 mile week, though there's an option of a 5 mile race on Saturday. I've never raced 5, so it's a guaranteed PB!

• Options

IJ - Some good running there. Good to rack up another 50 mile week too.

OH - Well done on the 2nd run yesterday

Fiona - Nice intervalsimage

-------

Non-running day today, thankfully as my legs felt pretty sore. Went swimming for the first time in ages, but forgot the schools are still on holidayimage 32 lengths was as long as I could deal with a pool full of kids. Might throw some kettlebells around later.

6-7 inc/ parkrun tomorrow and maybe some weights. Got myself a couple of new pairs of trainers, so might have a bash at a PB tomorrowimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on the MP run - hope the leg's ok

Mace nice intervals session - it's been a long time since I've done any speed work, but I always CBAd on the last rep. 35 mins is more than enough !

OH well done for getting out on the two runs

Stuart well done on a wet 10.5m. Good luck at the parkrun tomorrow!image

AGF enjoy the family parkrun tomorrow.

Fiona nice treddie session - good pace!

HM hope you got over the migraine quicklyimage

IJ well done on the steady 12.2m. Hope you got to 50 today and good luck on the race on Sundayimage

---

Recovery 4m for me this morning, then 90 mins hot yoga.  I was hoping to get some press-ups in but the sofa is now calling...

I'll be at a Parkrun tomorrow too, and, assuming I don't drink too much tonight, it will be a PB attemptimage

• Options

5.4 completed, though it did include a 10 minute stop at the bank! also included 2 miles XC round the common and some hillwork.

Should make the 5 mile race on Saturday, then it's 18-20 on Sunday.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.  I usually recover quickly providing I don't do anything and this has been the case.  Well done.

IJ,

Well done.

Stuart,

Well done.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hi everyoneimage will catch up tomorrow. 

Recovery run this morning and my left glute still dodgy as it was yesterday- nothing major, but tight enough to make me pull up and squeal yesterday. Thankfully loosned up with stretching, but I was still cauious enough to run this evening's planned 8ishm/ 1 hour run on the track in case of trouble and having to pull up. Glad to report that it seemed ok, and may still be up for the 5k Welsh Champs on Sunday, but not going to risk it unless it is fine...

In other news, the low carb diet works for me!!! Apart from the great 10k track session, I am now 10lbs lighter than at VLM, and my newly acquired 28" shorts (16 shops to buy 2 pairs!) have become positively loose. A trawl online suggests that the only High Street retailer of 26" men's shorts is River Isalnd- a belt will do for a while! But hiw ridiculous is this? There is no end of super size kids' school uniforms on sale.....In case anyone thinks I am disappearing, I still weigh in at 164lbs, but have changed body shape  for the better. Think I am releasing the inner Kenyan

imageimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, a tough session with a short recovery, still a very good pace

OH, good too see you back running, how's the chest,

Fiona, cracking pace on the tread

SM, another well done with the 10 and the swim good luck with parkrun

AGF, sounds like a plan, bet you will still run a good time

IJ, a busy weekend good luck with the 5 mile race

HM, hope you're feeling better today

jason, bloody hell 26" waist lol @ the inner Kenyan

-------------------------

4 miles very easy with JS on Thursday I haven't ran so slowly in ages, 6 last night on a loop up to Craig dunain very happy with the outcome over a minute quicker and at a lower HR, nice to see some small improvement 

going to run a 10 mile race today a mix between road and trail should be fun image