Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

5 x figure of eight hill session last night

6 x "round the cathedral" speed session at 6.30am this morning. Yee ha!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

AGF - a whole stone ... that's good going !! I suspect the booze may have played a part image

Fiona - good news from the fizz

Stewart - good news on the calf, nice mileage

OH - a fine long run

MG - sounds nice, welcome back

Keep up the good training all.

I'm building slowly and into the 6 the week of base ready for P&D. Running 5 days with 2 rest days Mon+Fri. Should hit 55M this week and over the last 4 weeks have averaged 50M, 12M mid-week and 17-18M Sunday with 1 x 20 in the bag. And the HR appears to be flattening out nicely.

• Options

SM, well done with the 10 mile run, bad news about the holidays, hope you can find an alternative marathon in the spring

MG, welcome back, shame you didn't get a run while you were away, nice run yesterday

Fiona, sensible that you abstained from doing intervals with the group, I actually enjoy the show last night all the dance groups did a good job

IJ, good session last night shame you missed out image

Mace, good work you will be in fine fettle for the start of the campaign image

----------------------------------------

A little over 4 miles last night in the wind and rain before going to watch the youngest dance, I had to quicken the pace so I could get back in time, the better half would have killed me if I made us late

• Options

Goodness gracious! I didn't run this evening! I did do today's part of the 30 day challenge, which was 80 squats, and a sneaky "plank-to-Stairway to Heaven". I managed 4:00 minutes tonight!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ sorry you didn't get the club place.  Good hill session last night, and 4 minutes is an impressive plank time.image

Stuart good 10 miler - hope you sort the holidays / marathon out.

MG good pace for the 10m

Fiona well done on the steady run

Mace nice base building - a twenty already!  Good news on the HR tooimage

Stewart Lol well done on the progressive 4m.  I do 3 club runs a week and they're nearly always off-road bogfests this time of year.

HM hope you got out...

---

Another little 3m run this morning, HR still elevated but not too bad...

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.  

I did manage to get out however it wasn't quite how I expected.  Chris has decided he wants to get fitter & is now up to 3 miles so came out with me, however I spent more time walking that running with how slowly he was going.  

• Options
    HM well at least you got out , I am sure he will pick up a bit more pace soon enough

Tek well done on the little run

Stewart good 4 in rubbish conditions

Mace impressive stuff, well done

Fiona nice work yesterday , must be a little frustrating watching the others but you will soon be up to speed I am sure

Easy 5 tonight, out with work tomorrow night so may have a rest til Friday then its off to Twickenham saturday
  • Options

mace that's a very impressive base mileage.

Stewart there's photos of you on the Harriers website (Lochaber) - second one to Sarah collecting her prize! image Well done getting to the show on time!

My HR is far too high Teknik but that's cos I'm unfit!! image Odd how the pace still feels ok.

IJ nice cross training.

Good that you got out HM4, better than the alternative!

MG1 enjoy the rest. image

5.1 miles for me tonight, really breezy. Was going to do weights but the room was full. That's me 0.6 miles off my highest mileage week in 6 weeks. 

F

• Options

IJ, well done with the cross training,

Tek, nice little 3 miler and I bet the bogfests are great fun image

MG, another good run, enjoy the rugby, I'll be watching it on the telly

Fiona, well done you will be back at full tilt in no time, not a bad photo image

----------------------------------------------

9 mile run in a little over 90 minutes last night, a bit windy on the canal and by the river but atleast it wasn't as wet as Tuesday,

• Options

couldn't get out of bed today...!

• Options

Stewart - Nice running last night. I think I'd take the rain over the wind though!

Fiona - Good to see you're slowly getting back into the swing of thingsimage

MG - Good running, enjoy the rugbyimage

HM - Well done. It's still better than nothing!

Tek - Nice wee run

IJ - Good cross training

Mace - Looks like the mileage is building up nicely

----------

2x~2.5 miles plus 30 minute gym session.

Couldn't get in the squat rack at the gym, and wasn't in the mood to wait about so that was slightly disappointing. The 2 runs were ok, although the run too the gym was into a bit of a breeze the whole way.

Had a look into what maras were available the weeks I had the Monday off work (April 13/20 and May 5) and nothing looks too appealing so likely I'll be doing Lochaber. Only alternative is Sunderland (possibly 4th of May) and that might not be run. Lochaber is the marathon I want to run, so I might just have to accept I'm going to have to use a holiday...

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM well done for getting out (and Chris!)image

MG nice easy 5 last night

Fiona well done on the 5.1m last night - that's 5 on the trotimage

Stewart nice 9 miler last night

IJ enjoy the day off!

Stuart well done on the run to and from the gym.  Decision made !

---

5.25m with the club this morning through the park and woods.  Finally got some antibiotics, so hopefully I can shake this lurgy soon.

• Options

day off? ha! fat chance of that! just a mad rush once I could get up to get to work in time!

• Options

Quick post , will catch up later

11 .25 easy miles yesterday and 10.25 easy miles today...I just love base training, yesterday was perfect chilly but bright with no wind....today how ever was  wet and windy today dont ya just love running this time of year ?image I do.

Whats the spring marathon list looking like ?

sorry to hear about the VLM club place IJ

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys.

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

Nice running last night Stewart, didn't see you tonight but I'm sure you must have been there!

Stuart know the feeling, our gym is getting really busy with the dark nights/cold.

Teknik take it easy whilst on the drugs!!

NN I do like this time of year but the dark takes more getting used to than the cold for me!

5 miles tonight. First proper run with the Harriers in about 6 weeks. image Ran with them for 3 miles then I headed back, being sensible!

F

• Options

SM, a good run and gym session yesterday, shame you couldn't get the squats done,

Tek, hope the antibiotics do the job, nice 5 with the club too

NN, some good MLR's over the last few days,

HM, good run earlier this week hope you can manage to get out again soon

Fiona, I was there, went out for a couple of miles before JS to make up the miles, well done on the run with the guys last night image

------------------------------------

2 miles before JS and 4 with the group, an enjoyable run with a little work on godmans and merlwood to get the heart pumping image

• Options

Evening

Fiona nice to see you running and being sensible ...I am the same re the dark, I do most of my running late afternoon after sleeping off a night shift so cant run my favourite country lane routes its too dark by 4

Stewart C what you on about ? godmans and merlwood a new training method ? or some local hills ?

more easy miles in the bag 8.85 @ 73% 

• Options

NN - Nice running, really getting the miles inimage 

Stewart - Good running yesterday.

Fiona - Well done on being sensible!image

Tek - Hope you feeling 100% soon.

----------

10.20 miles @ 9:32 this morning.

Might not had got in the squat rack yesterday morning, but leg presses and lunges still can mash your legs. So was struggling with extremely heavy legs for the duration.

HR wasn't too bad, 151 ave. Had a look, and I ran an identical loop to this the week after I set my 5k pb, and for the same HR my average pace was 16 seconds quicker, although I imagine it was less windy, so I'm getting back to where I was.

Well on course for my highest monthly total ever, might even hit 200 miles...

• Options
    Tek hope the drugs work and it kicks the lurgy

SM6 nice combo work

NN well done on the three runs , as you say nice base buildingimage

Fiona well done , bet that felt good to be back out with your club

Easy 12 m @ 8.47 this adternoon, lovely still autumn conditions , cold is a alot better but not gone .
  • Options

SM6 nice running ...on mashed legs I know that feeling well ,my wednesday runs are always done with very sore ...bum cheeks image thanks to my Tuesday body blast sessions

MG1 more miles , nice running , take care you dont want it to tuen into man flu image

• Options

Stewart well done, those are tough hills (NN image) I could not even cycle down Godsmans and walking was not so good either the day after weights!

NN and Stuart nice easy miles.

MG1 good that the cold is going, that sounds like a nice run.

Body balance for me later but no run today.

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN nice couple of medium runs, and well done on today's 9m tooimage

Fiona nice run with the Harriers, have fun at the BB tonight

Stewart nice hilly 6 miles

HM thanks

Stuart well done on the 10.2m, good to see the pace coming back - super month !image

MG good 12m today, glad you're shaking the cold...

---

Busy day here, had too much to carry so I couldn't do the backpack run, and had to resort to the treddie this evening.  3m easy for me.

• Options

great hilly mileages, nice one folks!

no run today (or it'd become a 12 day streak!) but 100 squats and a five minute plank (this time using Comfortably Numb as the backing track... I made it to the guitar solo before falling over!). Then a killer pilates class!

Good luck weekend runners!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

I'm working tomorrow so think it will be Sunday & I'll most probably have Chris with me.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

HM - Hope you and Chris get a run in tomorrow

IJ - Nice x-training. The plank is a bit boring, and it's usually my shoulders that give up before my core making it a pretty guff exercise for me.

Tek - Well done on getting the run in, even if it was on the treddy.image

Fiona - Hope you enjoyed body balance. Are you running today?

MG - Good running yesterday, good that your feeling better tooimage

-------------

7.7 miles inc/ 20:52 parkrun.

Was doubting myself half way round, then ended up with a beast of a sprint finish. Last wee bit was run at 5:05 pace, and that was into a headwind! Shame the finish isn't the other way, I'd have loved to see 4:xx flash up image

Gym in an hour or so for more lower body punishment. Surprised how quickly my legs loosened up this morning, as they were very heavy when I woke up.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ well done on the squats, plank and pilatesimage

HM hope you get out tomorrow

Stuart super sprint finish for the parkrun - good luck in the gymimage

---

5m through the woods with the club for me this morning.

• Options

Stuart, thats a good gym session and a speedy parkrun - especially the sprint - well done !!!

Tek, I see you have started another "streak".  I dont think I can do that as my body needs a rest every few days. 

IJ - thats a Strong core indeed to do a 5 minute plank - no wonder you have been smashing the PB's !!

Fiona - Good to see you starting to run again. 21 weeks to London for you image

Night Nurse - that 3 good runs on successive days for you !!! whats your next race?

Stewart - that was a good long run last weekend - good stuff !!

• Options

Today was my first run for 3-4 days as I have been on a course working long hours. I am shattered if I am honest. The course and the trip to India have tired me out. 12 hours kip last night. 

Has also been a bit stressfull as Lulu has had an op. A lump appeared next to her stomach and she had surgery. We were told it might be a cancerous tumour based on what they saw - but the results have that as negative. Its a relief - but we still do not know the cause. She is now fine in herself again - however it was a tough week and she has been in a lot of pain. At one point she has a very large ball of fluid appear....but that has now reduced......looking forward to take her for a small run/slow jog at the end of next week image

7 miles today was hard !!!....and only 20 weeks to Manchester - lots to do to get in sub 3:30 shape !!!

• Options

Teknik that must take a bit of planning with the backpack, sounds like another nice run this morning.

IJ great track - bet you were wishing you were by the end!!

Blimey, 5:05mm is rapid Stewart and into a headwind! image

AGF 20/21 weeks is not long - a bit of a wake up call! Great news about Lulu!! imageimage

7 miles for me but kept it really easy as I did go a bit mad on Thursday and just felt a bit of tightness in the calf especially on the uphill. Blowing a gale but great being out! image

F