Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SC auto lap is no good in London as the signal will be lost in the under passes its a mistake I made the first time I did it image

Up at this dark o'clock as just spent the last half hour in a bit of a panic, I took a massive cramp in my left calf, I'm sure I woke people up with the scream. Anyway spent the next 25 min massaging it with oil, a little better now got an ice pack on it. Took a swig of vinegar. Will do a short 4 mile easy run later with a few strides and hopefully it will be ok. No calling that one that's for sure..... But it's feeling a lot better.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Well the self massage and ice pack has done the trick image niggles niggles niggles as if training through another hard winter was not bad enoughimage
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Stewart - Time ave lap is bomb proof so long as you remember to turn autolap off image

NP - scary stuff image, glad it's ok

My wife and one of my kids both have swollen glands and a rasping throat .... if this was last week i'd now be booked into quarantine image  

• Options
    No Pain wrote (see)
    Well the self massage and ice pack has done the trick image niggles niggles niggles as if training through another hard winter was not bad enoughimage

Dont remind me !! all those times I wore 2 pairs of tights hat gloves buff and 3 tops and did a 14-15 MLR between night shifts, and now I got this f*cking dodgy ankle..imageimage

So what screens to show on garmin? this is all confusing me now image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - is it the ave lap / autolap thing that you're finding confusing ?  

After yesterdays 2 x 1.25M recovery walks to and from work in 40mins ( 32:00 pace image ) i improved to record a weekly best of 30mins ( 24:00 pace) for the walk in this morning.

This evening will be a sub-LT jobby i think, target 20:xx pace image

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

sorry to butt in. been lurking on the thread as running VLM this weekend too. Great race report Mace and a really well ran race. you should be proud.

The best way to use your Garmin is explained on the link below, about half way down the page (posted by me in the Berlin thread last year). I can't take the credit though - it was originally posted on Fetch. Well worth a read as it's a bullet proof forumla

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/berlin-marathon-2012/189781-56.html

• Options

Mace ..yes !! and hope you enjoy the recovery...jogs, no matter how slow, it doesnt matter after Sundays great performance

Jonas thanks..

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, good point about auto lap, the cramp sounded nasty glad you got it sorted and the recovery run has done the trick

Mace, it's all about recovery now image

NN, hope the niggle is improving

Johnas, good luck on Sunday

After yesterday walk along the canal, the legs were starting to feel human again, so I decided to go out for a short recovery run this morning, got to say I enjoyed it, even with the cough, the heart rate was elevated but I ran at a pace that I felt was easy, glad to be back at it image

Stats for the run : 4.1m 45:25 @11:05mm avgHR149(78%)

• Options

Stewart, could barely walk for a week after my first marathon (honestly) let alone even think about running..impressed that you got out there and its only Wednesday !!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - Johnas' excellent link is the answer and explains it perfectly. That's where i originally picked up on it.

Johnas - thanks image And good luck on Sunday, i've been watching your training on the SG thread. What's your VLM number ?

Stewart - blimey, fair play mate. I could just about manage a normalish stair descent this morning but at least it wasn't backwards. Gotta say i'm itching to get out though image 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Thank goodness the calf is ok NP!

Johnas thanks for the link. I'll go for that again but must remember to press lap the same number of times as markers I've passed! image

Good to see folks getting out there again. I normally walk lots on Monday/Tuesday but no running until later in the week.

Will try a treadmill run tonight.

F

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Glad it is of use to the thread and thanks all for the best wishes for Sunday.

and thanks Mace. I think my number is either 31651 or 31615 - I can't quite remember but definitely one of them!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Mace: There's a guy near me who is the official 3:15 pacer for Manchester.  His mara PB is 2:43, so running more than a minute per mile more slowly means it's easy to pace - he's aiming to get in around 30 seconds under time, to allow the whole train to get through under 3:15.  Well done for getting out there...

NP ouch.  I've had a few night cramps - Doc prescribed Quinine for me.  Glad you've shaken it off.image

Johnas great link, thanks

Stewart well done for starting the recovery. Your HR is going to be high for weeks, don't worry - it's just another muscle you've tornimage

NN hope the ankle's another bit better

Fiona enjoy the treddie later

Jason are you ok?

====

Another moan. 1m warm-up and 9m MP test.  Came out at 8:04 flat-lining at 82%maxHR.  Every time I knock it under 8mm the breathing isn't comfortable.  Only a couple more of those runs to go now...image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Mace nice walkingimage

Fiona at 4 am I was worried that was it.... But the massage, ice and an easy 4 miles with 5 sets of strides in has done the trick. It feels good but tender to touch will ice it when I get home later, have a meeting at 7:30 and hope its over come 9:30 so will be home for 10:15 and on leave image

Looking forward to tea and cake in the Park.

Teknik nice running still think your in for a massive PB.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Mace, I know what you mean about coming down the stairs today was the first day I could get down normally, the legs felt better after the run too

NN, I suspect it has got a lot to do with the Hadding and P&D, they have toughen up the legs.

Fiona, good luck with the treadie run

Tek, are you fully recovered, still a good pace and the hr is stable

I'm happy to be back at it I've been checking the calendar and it will be a five week recovery period then straight into P&D 18 week program for Baxters, still undecided which plan to follow, Im concerned that the up to 70 mile might be a bit advance for my current fitness
  • Options

Tek - That's still an impressive run, even if it's not quite what you'd like!

Stewart - I'm impressed you've made it out already! Took me 2 weeks before I could run again after Loch Ness. 

Mace - Nice recovery walks! Great race report too, well doneimage

NP - Hope the cramp is sorted out

----------

Legs feel reasonably lively today. Might even try to run tomorrow if it's not too windy

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik a 9m MP run is not easy in training, you've done a lot of good work, on the day it will feel easy! image

NP great to be on leave, time to get the cases packed image looking forward to coffee, cakes and a catch up too! Think I'm mostly packed, Beanie just has to go back to her holiday home tomorrow night.

Stewart you can always see how you feel after 5 weeks. You can always adapt the plan to suit by cutting out a recovery run or two.

Hope you get an easy run Stuart, I think it's meant to calm down later in the week.

4 miles done with two a bit faster and just a small niggle from the hamstring.  imageimageimage

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stewart- plenty of time to decide on a plan- well done on the race and starting your recoveryimage

Mace- Excellent report and excellent running- think the report must have taken longer to write!image

Tek- yep, i'm ok- just been busy! I'm with Fiona- 9m at MP is far from easy on a training run!

Johnas- welcome and good luckimage

Fiona- well done on the run- that niggle will disappear at the weekendimage

NN- I will have time, current lap pace and overall lap pace. NP was right about losing signal, but my Garmin was only marginally out last year- but more so the year before?? Pressing the lap button at the mile markers is the best bet- I always forget-or press the stop button!image I will use autolap- it's only ever a rough guide anyway due to the inaccuracies of GPS watches at measuring distances....

NP- well done on the run- sure the cramp will loosen off totallyimage

I have just had the WINDIEST run ever!!! The plan was to run 5 easy miles on the road, onto the track for 2 at MP and 1 easy. I actually stopped at one point on the track to laugh at the effort to keep moving forward! It was quite an adventure- i was running in the outside lane and had to fight round the bend into the home straight to saty on the track! A small bird took off from the track as I approached and was immediately blown into the fence- just managed to tilt his wings to take him over the top! Needless to say, I settled for marathon effort, rather than pace!! Turned out to be around 10-15 secs slower. Legs felt a bit stiff from Monday's massage at first, but soon loosened and running felt smooth and easy (allowing for the conditions!)image 8m in 1.00.01 (sorry, Fiona- if I'd only realised) splits: 8:15 8:22 8:06 7:45 7:44 6:24 6:23 7:03 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mace,

Great report.  I do have number/calculation problems when running also.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    No Pain wrote (see)
    Added to list:

NN 7183
    No Pain 30752

jason d 32025image

Will be wearing blue and white TROTS vest and at the red GFA startimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

jason 1:00:01! image Sounds like a tough run!

Looks like I'm the only one at green start......well the only one from this thread! image

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Fiona- lol! It was silly rather than tough! image Green is the best start IMHO. They keep the celebs separate by a piece of tape at the start until just before the off. This was when I and others moved forward to start right on the line. My chip time and Garmin time are the same image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Ooh, just watch out for the speed bumps early on- same for red start. Watch out for bollards then too.....
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Didn't get home and off duty last night until gone eleven so didn't get a chance to get on here. No cramp last night and calf is ok this morning image just don't want a repeat of it on Saturday night. Well will start putting carbs in today but still not going OTT as I think my normal eating will be enough.

Fiona just a few last minute things to pack OH off today as well, our two cats stay at home and we have a friend who will come round twice a day to feed them.

Jason sounds like a fun run I must show you the video of my hill run in the snow and wind it's one I will never forget.

Looking at the weather it looks perfect so fingers crossed that there is no change 12c overcast no wind image
  • Options

Hi Guys

I thought this would be the best place to ask. I am running on Sunday in London. I am trying to get everything in order and I am having trouble finding the info I need.

I have only received my running number through the post, and a ltter stating I have to attend the Excel on Saturday. Is this correct? Will they issue me with a timing tag there? I also don't know where the start is, other than somewhere in Greenwhich? Does any body know of what time I should be there and where exactly to go?

Help much appreciated

Thanks, Sophie

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Sophie you need to take the letter with your number on and sign it at the excel centre they will give you your number and let you know what start to go to. There will be lots of info available at the excel about how to get to your start point. The underground is free to all runners who show there numbers on Sunday, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there. Relax and enjoy your run, what sort of time are you going for?
  • Options

Okey doke, thanks for that. I will get my timing tag there too? It's just I have moved and I had to pick my last pack up from my previous address so I don't want to arrive in London without it if it has een sent there?

As for timing, well... was 3.45, but a poorly leg, and the final 3 weeks of my training being bumped, I am going sub 4, any thing quicker will be a bonus, And I will do it no matter what haha.

Excited now.

Thanks for the info

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    All the best for Sunday we are always here why not join in the fun after London?
  • Options

I will do definatley. But I will need a week to chill, but I will be back image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Photos/video from Sunday .... there's some grim buggers especially hanging on at the end. I seem to have morphed into somebody i don't recognise by that stage image

http://www7.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2013/Brighton%20Marathon&photo=SEBO0841&bib=8669