Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Thanks NSGNR for the description.  I think it has put my mind at rest that the course is reasonably flat (apart from the end). Did 18 miles today with 14 at 'nearly' marathon pace.  Wanted to try marathon pace but the hills and wind around here put a stop to that.

You never know Stimpy, take it steady and you never know.

Happy training (35 days to go!)

• Options

Great desciption NSGNR - really helpful. Slightly dreading that last hill but rest of it doesn't sound too dire.

Stimpy, hope your calf settles and that you get to the start line. Are you able to do any cross training or does all exercise flare it up?

Managed 20 miles today and thankfully much nicer than last ones despite the wind - thankfully rain held off until after I'd finished. I spit it up a bit today - couple of miles easy then 4x1K at faster than marathon pace with 1 min recoveries, 8 miles easy, another 4x1K fast then final 4 miles easy. Somehow didn't feel as daunting split up into sections. Even managed a final sprint at the end so feeling a bit more positive about it. Is it really oly 35 days to go?!

Hope everyone had a good run/race today

• Options

Back from the South Cheshire 20 - what a brilliant race!  Weather wasn't too bad after all.  The rain mostly stayed away although the high winds made it quite tough.  Planned to do the first 6 miles slow and the last 14 at marathon pace.  Ended up doing the first 5 quite slow (9 minute miles) and the last 15 at quicker than marathon pace!! Oops.  Finished in 2:47, overjoyed with that as it is quite an undulating course.  Felt really strong at the end and was such a confidence booster to whizz past all the people that had started out too fast.

Sorry to hear about your car Susan image.  Hope you still managed to get out for your 20.

Thanks for the course info NSGNR, much appreciated.

• Options

Hello all, glad the SC 20 was a success though am still gutted I missed it. I had a good run in the end, 20 miles, 10 of which were at MP+ 30 seconds then 10 at MP or faster.   Weather was quite ropey but I prefer it to the sun and humidity, and I think the cool conditions and rain really helped me today. Deliberately sought out a nice undulating course and even a nice big hill at 19 milesimage Now going to pore over the course details as provided by our lovely thread members!

• Options

Stimpy will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Options

Hello all - really inspiring hearing about all these long runs, and really useful to get a report on the marathon route from NSGNR.

I managed 19 miles today, which is farther than I've ever run before, so v. pleased. Ran along the York-Selby bike path which is a good one for a windy day as it's reasonably sheltered. Race details coming this week I think - anyone got them yet?

• Options

Morning All.

I did the SC20 yesterday aswell. Brilliant race, a few undulations but other than one steepish hill at 9 miles it was too bad. I got a PB yesterday (my first for about 6 years), finished in 2h 38m 49s so really pleased. The only downside is that it made me realise that I don't think I can keep that pace going for another 6.2miles to the marathon finish as I felt really ill at the finish and still do today.

Glad to see that everybody is getting the big mileage in now.

Great course description NSGNR, very useful. Great minds think alike with our Homer Simpson tag, by the way.

If anyone has any further advice about parking that would be great. I though about parking at the Grimston Park and Ride, but not sure now. Will it be open at that time?

Gazza

• Options

I have a male slot for this I would sell if anyones interested.

• Options

Hope you are on the mend Stimpy.

Well done everyone on LSRs

Brilliant result in the SC20 Tiny and Northern Gazza.

Well,

I ran 4.4 miles with a friend today. I asked if we could try my marathon pace of 11.30 min miles but we ended up averaging 10.59 and chatted all the way! It was a huge confidence boost and maybe the training is paying offimage my next run will be 13 on Weds.

• Options

I wish we had a like button on here! I could like all these fantastic runs image

• Options

Meant to ask how you were feeling Gazza? I can feel unwell after LSRs. After running 20 miles you will manage another 6.2 miles. Perhaps you will need to slightly adjust your pace? I find rehydrating properly is often the crucial thing to do and avoiding alcohol the evening afterwards. I keep a jug of iced water with me and keep drinking for the rest of the day.

I am not a trained (trained but not in a club or anything) runner and these things I learn from experience and others so perhaps other forum members can help with tips for recovery after runs?image

• Options

Plenty to drink, something to eat (even if you don't feel like it - a bagel or something just to tide you over, though I find I crave something salty). I know lots of people use recovery shakes or chocolate milk, though I can't stomach either. Stretch and rest. A cold bath or shower is better than a warm one!

• Options

Ooh forgot the foam roller session after too. Anyone wear compression socks? For recovery purposes I mean.

• Options

Has everyone seen the exciting news?! image  Looks like we might be getting ourselves on 'telly

• Options

Like lily and Susan, I drink plenty of water, sometimes a mixture of fresh orange, water and a drop of salt, or more recently in thie hot weather, a proper electrolyte drink. After a race, hard training session or long run I use SIS Rego, which I really like. I love a long soak in the bath, but try to sit in cold water first and splash it over my legs - it does get easier each time you do it! My daughter used to have ice baths when she was at training camps, but I don't think I could do that! After these really long runs, I find laying on my back on the floor with my legs raised up against the wall helps to drain the lactic acid and eases the aches. Yes, foam roller too, especially on the sore bits. I also use one of those tumble drier balls to massage under my feet, and have been known to sit on a tennis ball to massage painful glutes! 

Gazza, congrats on your PB. I know what you mean about having to do another 6.2 miles, but the adrenaline and support from the crowd and fellow runners will drag you round. Hope you are feeling better today.    CosmicGaz, I use the cycle track too, try extending it from Riccall along King Rudding Lane into Skipwith Common, nice there!    It's a great feeling now we're at the peak of our training - it can only get easier from now on! Can't it? 
  • Options

Tiny - what news? Not sure if I want the world to see my suffering! 

• Options

Have a look at the yorkshire marathon website.  Plusnet will be filming a documentary on the day which will be screened on Channel 4 a couple of weeks after race day image

• Options

Like lily and Susan, I drink plenty of water, sometimes a mixture of fresh orange, water and a drop of salt, or more recently in thie hot weather, a proper electrolyte drink. After a race, hard training session or long run I use SIS Rego, which I really like. I love a long soak in the bath, but try to sit in cold water first and splash it over my legs - it does get easier each time you do it! My daughter used to have ice baths when she was at training camps, but I don't think I could do that! After these really long runs, I find laying on my back on the floor with my legs raised up against the wall helps to drain the lactic acid and eases the aches. Yes, foam roller too, especially on the sore bits. I also use one of those tumble drier balls to massage under my feet, and have been known to sit on a tennis ball to massage painful glutes! 

Gazza, congrats on your PB. I know what you mean about having to do another 6.2 miles, but the adrenaline and support from the crowd and fellow runners will drag you round. Hope you are feeling better today.    CosmicGaz, I use the cycle track too, try extending it from Riccall along King Rudding Lane into Skipwith Common, nice there!    It's a great feeling now we're at the peak of our training - it can only get easier from now on! Can't it? 
  • Options

Gremlins in the system! I didn't post that twice! 

• Options

Tiny - what news? Not sure if I want the world to see my suffering! 

• Options

13 miles in just under 2.5hrs.....really pushed myself and averaged about my MP, it was tough but enjoyed the run, particularly as I did my usual 13 mile route in reverse. Different views and the tough boring bits somehow were different coming the other way!

I would love to complete the marathon in 5hrs but don't know if that is achievable, maybe I have reached my optimum. Think I will just aim for a PB (hopefully less than 5.17 at Manchester).....getting excited and nervous!

How is everyone else?image

• Options

sounds like you've had a really good last couple of runs Lily so should definitely be able to go at your planned pace or quicker image Off for my run this evening - wednesday I try to do some speed stuff. 

Recovery, like others, plently to drink for rest of day and I too avoid alcohol. I struggle to eat soon after running and am not keen on recovery shakes but often make a smoothie with banana, yoghurt, honey, orange juice and a handful of porridge oats which I find much nicer. I tried the cold shower/bath - it was fine in summer but it's getting cold now I can't face it so go for warm one in this weather! Stretch and foam roll too.

Does anone know if there is a course profile map around that tells us the elevation etc? thanks

• Options

Well done Lily! Tackle the marathon with an open mind, set off steady but not too fast. If you're feeling good in the later stages you can always pick up speed then. I must admit, my aim has changed to just getting round. If I can beat my previous of 4:52 I'll be well chuffed, but I'm staying realistic. Old age and injury niggles are making themselves heard! 

I've just done 14 miles around the country section, it was nice. Previous comments about the cheeky little hill near Upper Helmsley were spot on, and the adverse road camber. I did enjoy it though, and am now feeling much more positive. 

• Options

Tishtosh, I've plotted the route onto Memory Map. There's only about 5 m height gain out to Stockton on the Forest, then just a further 20 m over the next 4 km, so nothing excessive. Possibly another 10 m gain after Stamford Bridge, but really nothing serious. It's just that last sharp pull up Green Dykes Lane to the finish that will hurt! 

• Options

Thank you bornagain. Just how bad is that last hill? Am getting excited/nervous in equal measures!

• Options

In the great scheme of things, it's nothing really. But at the end of 26 miles it WILL hurt. Probably only 400metres in length, about 20 m height gain. Sounds nowt really doesn't it? 

Anyone got their race packs yet? 

• Options

There's an elevation profile here (course measurer's map):

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/226837063

Bornagain - thanks for the route suggestion from Riccall, I might give it a try this weekend.

• Options

Thanks for the comments Lily and Bornagainrunner. Feel much better now. I got talking to a colleague at work, a far better runner than me, he wins races etc etc.

He thought dehydration was the reason for me feeling very ill.

My race pack hasn't arrived yet.

Hope everyone is well.

• Options

thank you Tishtosh and Bornagain for your kind and encouraging comments, it made all the difference to how I feelimage.

Glad you are feeling better Gazza.

When the race pack arrives it will all be very real and scary!

• Options

No race pack yet! 

Finally got my car back today, thank goodness I didn't try to drive to Crewe as it was a faulty wheelbearing. Not good at all - especially since the car is only six months old!

Have run Sunday to today each day, just realised I've done 34 miles in four days so I should rest tomorrow. Tricky two weeks coming up though with a husband overseas and my youngest having a routine op next weekend, so I've been binge running a bit!