Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

How is everybody doing? Seems like most people are into double figures on the long run. I know it's early days but I've not done a run over 8 miles yet, so think I need to up the mileage this weekend.

All the best. Gazza.

• Options

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 3:29:29 but not entirely convinced as I've never run further than about 15 miles in my life!  Stuck on a plateau of around 30 miles a week at the moment over 3/4 runs and longest run of 12 miles.  All my runs are pretty steady around 9 min/mile pace so not sure if I should introduce some tempo runs or just aim to increase the mileage.

• Options

skd14 - sounds like a brilliant holiday, bet you can't wait?!  You won't lose much fitness in a fortnight, just go for the occasional run if you can. 

NG - don't worry about what others are doing.  Do you have a training schedule?  If you do, then stick to it.  It will see you through.  Still well over 3 months to go until race day.

hills - same question, do you have a training plan?  A good plan will already have you running different types of sessions throughout the week.  You need to run your long runs sloooowwwww.  But you also need to get a tempo session in once a week too.  Plus maybe some medium runs with marathon paced miles in there.  Recovery runs are good too.  In short: get a plan! (and stick to it) image

• Options

Lily of the Valley 4.59

AP66                 3.59

TR85                 3.59

SKD14.             3.49

Swoody.             3.49

Born Again Runner 4.15

Northern Gazza   3.29.

WATH 3.29

think thats everyone.....Some very positive sub 3.30 runners !!!

• Options

Hi everyone - been absent a bit due to lots of school events with the boys, but still squeezing in the runs. I did 12 miles last Sunday but found it hard, humid and a bit hilly. I'm also training for the Thunder Run in July, so two days this week I've run morning and evening. I'm hoping there's some form of marathon training in there!

Target time for York? Hmm Hmmm dunno. PB 4.57 but I'm not feeling the love right now! I'd be happy to achieve that again.

Swoody I was at Halstead supporting a friend who ran 3.57! I was at Pebmarsh with a very large tub of sweeties. Had a great day spectating for a change!

• Options
    JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Lily of the Valley   4.59

AP66                   3.59

TR85                    3.59

SKD14.               3.49

Swoody.               3.49

Born Again Runner 4.15

Northern Gazza     3.29

WATH                   3.29

Johnnybike           3:29

• Options
    JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Looking for 3:30 at York - current long runs are 15M at MP (yes, I know too fast but I just run at a comfortable pace) .  No drink, no nutrition. I am thinking that as I increase distance I am going to have to start taking something with me as I am quite dehydrated after 2 hours of running.

Does anybody know what will be provided on race-day in terms of drinks or anything else as I might as well get used to having the same thing on long runs.

• Options

How did you get on at the Humber Half today swoody?  I thought it was pretty tough - hills, undulating bits, headwind, but fortunately not too hot. I was way slower than I'd hoped, but kept telling myself it was just a training run! 

• Options

Thought I'd say hello as my training plan starts next week for this race.

• Options

Welcome Jonah. Now the training plans are kicking in, it all seems very real, and not long away! What have I let myself in for? 

• Options

BAR .sounds like you finished , well done. Ignore the time

jonah 8, welcome think all our plans start tomorrow. Good luck

• Options

Yep, I finished, with a smile on my face too. You're right about ignoring the time - it isn't a PB type of course. Garmin said 293 m of climb! Good training run! Eccup 10 mile race next Sunday - anyone know what that's like?

• Options
    JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Eccup is undulating at most. I ran 77 at Otley 10 and hope to be 72-74 at Eccup

• Options
    Chr1sChr1s ✭✭

I was well pleased to get a half marathon pb at the Humber today, especially in the conditions! The hills weren't as bad as I was expecting, Otley 10... they were proper hills;)

Eccup is another tough course next up!

• Options

I'm race-stalking you Bornagainrunner, I'm doing Eccup 10 too. 

It was definitely tougher than it should have been for a race in the flatlands of Hull. Funny one for me as I was pacing my husband round his first ever race, he wanted to do it in under 2 hours and we crossed the line in 1.59.04. You may have seen him - he was wearing a pink tutu...

What times did you do BAR and Chr1s?

Welcome Jonah, what time are you aiming for at Yorkshire? 

• Options

Yes swoody, I saw him! Couldn't miss him In that outfit! I was a tad disappointed with my time - 2:04, my PB is 1:56, but I know I haven't been doing enough speed work this year, so can't complain. Eccup sounds tough, eek! It's a club run, so there should be a lot of our club there. Will need to up my pace a bit I think! 

Well done on your PB Chr1s - some achievement on that course. 

Reckon we should all wear pink carnations on Sunday - sounds like quite a few of us are going, we could all say hi to each other! 

• Options

Most important run of the year today...Its the dads race at school !!!

• Options

Thanks for the welcomesimage

Swoody-  Looking at 2.50ish

Been doing loads of long slow runs up in the hills before I start my schedule, Edale to Buxton last Saturday, fantastic views.

• Options

Ha ha, brilliant. I was the embarrassed woman in a purple top next to him image

Well done on your PB Chris.

Long runs up beautiful hills sounds like fab base training, no wonder you're looking at 2.50 with that in your legs Jonah. 

• Options

Hello Folks. My training starts this week for the race. Im aiming for my first ever sub 4 hour marathon and thats about it for me. I run the Leeds half in 1.46 this year, so my goal is looking good.

Im also in the Eccup 10 this weekend. Apart from the hill at the back of the reserveior its a largly undulating course, so im aiming for a good time.

Im also a club runner so the Tuesday night speed sessions are a great help.

The only barrier I have is the slight beer belly ive grown so far this summer, so im off the pop for a few weeks to get down to my 'fighting' weight.

• Options

Welcome Sean and Jonah ...

2.50 !!!!!!!!!!! Wow

amd Sean , no alcohol, I think that's a bit drastic !

• Options

Sean

I'm in the same boat as you since my spring marathons I had most of May off, so I'm carrying a few extra pounds.

nice easy 8 miles tonight in the hills.

• Options

Ap66, no comment about Dad's race? I hope you didn't disgrace yourself! 

Welcome Sean, don't forget the pink carnation at Eccup!

• Options

Gutted lost in a photo finish to a new parent.... Won it last 4 years... Need some speed training not marathon training

• Options

great to see thread taking off image welcome to all the new people, glad training going well.

I have just been out for slow 7 miles...maybe should have listened to my body and not gone...tired and generally not feeling great after long drives to visit family and being busy, seem to have constant headache. Lacking time, energy and motivation at mo. Hope to get things back on track soonimage

• Options

Welcome to the newcomers.

Lily - might I suggest a week off?  I am taking this week of marathon training as I've got a 10k race on SUnday that I'd really like to do well in.  I'm still training and keeping the intensity high but I'm cutting right down on the volume.  It's only Tuesday morning and my legs feel so fresh and I am raring to race!  So perhaps a few days out might do you some good?

Apologies, can't remember who it was that was asking about race day nutrition but I'm also really interested in the answer as I'd like to start practising with whatever they're planning on issuing on the day.  Might send the organisers an email.....

• Options

Good point about the drinks etc, I don't do well with sports drinks, though I did chance a Lucozade at 23 miles in the VLM - kill or cure by that stage.

Lily I feel your pain, day 1 of marathon training yesterday and I feel tired and lethargic. I think I'm coming down with a cold though. Will take a couple of days off and reassess.

• Options

Lily, I know just how you feel. The thought of the long runs fills me with dread, but I'm just trying to stay focused on the end result, and that fantastic feeling of satisfaction when we cross the finish line! You'll be fine! 

• Options

thanks Tiny, Susan and BARunner for your kind words and encouragement and advice. I love this thread!

My experience of gels at runs is that they run out, they either don't have enough or faster runners take more than one! So I always take my own that I will need or family pass me more as I go past! Hope that helps. There always seem to be loads of drinks though. I use a belt now for water, gels etc

• Options
    Chr1sChr1s ✭✭

Thanks, I did 1:53, my pb was 1.55 at Leeds this year so am well pleased, think I'll do it again next year!