Options

RUNNING A MARATHON 1 MONTH TRAINING

Comments

• Options

His last comment has pretty much cemented the fact that he is taking the piss on this thread.

Dare I ask Alex, a doctor in what? 

• Options

quack quack....  

boom boom... image

• Options
    Pudge wrote (see)

His last comment has pretty much cemented the fact that he is taking the piss on this thread.

Dare I ask Alex, a doctor in what? 

Stupidology?

• Options

we have all been here before remember   .....

and I have been told I should not put cheese out as bait because thats like giving potatoes to Ducks ....not very nice... even if you are just doing it for fun...

• Options

"So why don't you know anything about hyponatremia or jaundice?" .... I do...

"BTW - doing idiotic things does actually make you an idiot." There are two widely accepted definitions of an idiot... The first was the original use of the word in IQ tests whereby an idiot sat between a mooron and a cretin.

The second definition is where a person repeats the same action whilst expecting a different result. 

• Options

"Dare I ask Alex, a doctor in what?" I plan (eventually) to be a orthopaedic surgeon. Currently in my penultimate year studying.

• Options

Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

"So why don't you know anything about hyponatremia or jaundice?" .... I do...

"BTW - doing idiotic things does actually make you an idiot." There are two widely accepted definitions of an idiot... The first was the original use of the word in IQ tests whereby an idiot sat between a mooron and a cretin.

The second definition is where a person repeats the same action whilst expecting a different result. 

The third is when someone expects to do a marathon in a month and then pisses a week of his already scant training up the wall.

And if you do know about hyponatremia and jaundice why are you actually trying to kill yourself?

• Options

hey whatever happened to whatshisname?

and on that note i have to go and do a bit of office cleaning with my wife so i'll be out for a couple of hours..  

if you want to carry on without me that's fair enough but please please please

don't go breaking my heart  Help..Twist and shout...said opps upside yout head..

in other words ... ....imageimage

• Options
    Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

"Dare I ask Alex, a doctor in what?" I plan (eventually) to be a orthopaedic surgeon. Currently in my penultimate year studying.

Heaven help your future patients.

• Options

C'mon then ... what is the treatment for jaundice image

Healthy kidneys can process 15 litres a day providing it's spaced and enough electrolytes are consumed. 

I say pints but I mean a 0.5 litre glass, so it's 10 litres. Before you come and say I'm being stupid do your research. Problems come when water is consumed in massive quantities over a short time period. I never heard of someone dying/having health complications drinking 500ml every 50 minutes.... 

• Options

OK, I'll accept that (although it sounds suspiciously like a quotation straight from the internet) but do you still think it's a good idea to be running a marathon a week or so after showing symptoms of jaundice?

I don't.

• Options

It's very mild and I'm not sure it would even be officially recognised as jaundice. 

It's happened to me a few times in the past, nothing major to worry aboutimage 

• Options

It's happened "a few times" and in youre early 20s?

That's by no means normal.

• Options

Getting back to the running, ran 10 k at 5.30 minutes/km flat, felt good apart from lungs, felt a bit strained, sure it will be better next time. Not tired, legs fine etc, heart rate was relatively low.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

so a student went on a long piss up hardly shocking news....sure its not going to be ideal for running a marathon but neither was not training for one properly in the first place.

plenty of time for a good marathon another day, but you have to enjoy your student yrsimage

• Options

That kind of race preparation sounds pretty standard going on the behaviour of the medics I knew at uni ... I would say that the sensible doctor bit kicks in later but 5 years on and it hasn't happened yet! 

Shame you don't have access to a drip - I've heard they are excellent for hangover prevention 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Do you think Alex will come back to tell us about his race if he does DF3?

• Options

Alex - I am sure you are a WUM however being a little bit yellow after drinking a lot may just be a sign that you have Gilbert's syndrome which means you get raised bilirubin levels in your liver if you don't look after yourself/get ill and sometimes even if you do look after yourself. Its a benign condition but sometimes leaves you feeling a bit more lethargic than someone else would be (bit like a typical student!!) - loads of people have it undiagnosed.

But I'm sure you know all of this being a nearly qualified doctor!image

• Options

I will give a post event write up. 

Any prediction on my time? I'm personally guessing 4.48.

• Options

Alex, what is your actual race strategy?  Run / walk from the start, or are you planning to run until you can't and then walk?  That would affect my guess image.

• Options

5:57 (2:20,3:37 splits) - you'd have a lot more fun spending the day in the pub!image

• Options

ps. I'm sserously thinking about not running anymore before the marathon. My right calf is slightly tight so I don't want to aggrovate it, I was planning on just cycling in the gym/rowing. 

Any thoughts?

• Options

"Alex, what is your actual race strategy? " Give me your estimates for both.... aha well I imained run 21 then run/walk.

• Options

Since you have never run further than 13 miles nor, if I recall, ever actually put your run-walk plan into action your finishing time is anybody's guess. To be honest I have my doubts you'll even finish because you are still too keen to run too far too fast. That, my friend, is the way to meet every runner's worst enemy -the wall.

Run till 21 then run/walk - yeah that's going to happen image

After all the advice you have been given on here you're still making it up as you go along.

As for not running before the marathon - your training has been completely inadequate  so it won't make a blind bit of difference.

• Options

I seem to remember a chap like you, df3 is his name,  he spoke a bit like you as well,

asked people to predict how he'd get on , didn't train , etc,  ..

I don't think I can be bothered with it all this time .

Not unless it gets really silly.

• Options
    The original waccyracer wrote (see)

I seem to remember a chap like you, df3 is his name,  he spoke a bit like you as well,

asked people to predict how he'd get on , didn't train , etc,  ..

I don't think I can be bothered with it all this time .

Not unless it gets really silly.

You don't think it's really silly already? Seriously this bloke could end up in the back of an ambulance...image

• Options

Ok, 5+ hours either way, the difference between 'run run run walk walk walk' and 'run walk run walk' is probably just how sore you are toward the end and afterwards.  Good luck anyway.

• Options

"end up in the back of an ambulance...image" .... probably giving instruction to the student volunteers with a week training course in cpr....

I think that's only likely if it's a hot day image.

"asked people to predict how he'd get on , didn't train , etc,  " I mean this more from a kind of joke so after I've done it we can see who got closest, not asking for reassurance now etc.

You've heard certain parts about how my training went, I just thought it would be interesting to see if people could give a close estimate. Obviously there are a huge number of variables....

Don't do it if you don't want to. image

• Options

ok Screamy  you talked me into staying around a little while longer but if  he starts to call me names i'm on the first bus out of here. It's not that i'm a coward because i'm not, it's just that i don't like getting into arguements with student doctors who go on the piss and take cocaine for a week.  They can get quite  aggressive.

Not that i think  The Doctor is one of those argy bargy types, he's most probably small and timid for all i know but one can't take chances these days.