Options

RUNNING A MARATHON 1 MONTH TRAINING

Comments

• Options

Alex, you don't even seem to have much of a handle on your own mile pace so how can you expect anyone else to make a guess?

• Options

So my prediction is 6 hour and 35 minutes depending on the weather.

What is it like in Wonderful Copenhagen at the moment?

• Options

"take cocaine for a week" .... For the last time it's an enery drink (with much more caffeine than a red bull). I am not small or especially big (6 ft, 75-78kg) and I have a very mild temprement. I will not be calling anyone names?!??

"most probably small and timid" no-one who has met me would call me timid not would they refer to me as argy bargy.....

I believe there is a time limit on the marathon of 6 hours....so under your prediction I will not finish image.

weather will probably be somewhere between 11 and 15.

• Options

There is every possibilty you won't finish - one of the "many variables" I think you'll find.

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

ps. I'm sserously thinking about not running anymore before the marathon. My right calf is slightly tight so I don't want to aggrovate it, I was planning on just cycling in the gym/rowing. 

Any thoughts?

I've kept off this thread for a long time - ever since you showed yourself as a probable WUM or rather rude. Failing to even acknowledge the good advice people were giving you.

But hey...   FWIW, if your calf is tight, don't run before Sunday.  It would do you no good, but could do you  harm.

Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

"end up in the back of an ambulance...image" .... probably giving instruction to the student volunteers with a week training course in cpr....

This attitude also has a ring of DF3 about it image

My prediction... in the unlikely event of you being for real, is that you will have a huge battle with meeting the 6hr cut off time.  Weather forecast is good, which means you have a chance.  I'll go for the 5:30 to 5:40 time-slot - but that might be optimistic.

Whatever you do achieve, it could have been much better.  Ignoring 95% of the good advice given on here (which is a reflection of the advice you'd get from any marathoning book) was ridiculous. 

Your runner "friend" from the South Korean military has totally ripped you.  I bet he's laughing his head off!   I cannot believe he could have done a 5 years scholarship - and doesn't realise that a training plan based on elite 1500m running, does not translate well to a novice with 36 days to train for a marathon.   He cannot be so stupid. He must be taking the pee.

Anyway... it's been mildly entertaining so far.  We'll see.  If you're for real, then good luck.

• Options

Run Wales - Alex himself claims to be a medical student but seemed totally baffled when I suggested he ice and elevate his injured ankle.

I don't think reality features much in the strange parallel universe these people seem to inhabit.

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I'd forgotten that bit.  I wish I'd continued to keep off the thread!

• Options

Hands up all of you out there who think  A Coward could be,

only slightly, mind you

just another attempt by DF118  to  mess about with people?

Cricky,  that's a huge show of hands, OK you can put them down now..

• Options

No...I think he's for real, even if his approach to marathon training has been anything but realistic.

Alex, if you really do go through with it at the weekend, do try and go for the run/walk strategy from the start, and remember it really isn't the end of the world if you end up dropping out. You haven't even remotely prepared to do the distance properly, so it really isn't worth doing yourself serious damage just in order just to try and prove a point.

• Options

Alex is real - I'm pretty sure there's one thing David wouldn't want to come over as and that's a bit dopey. And If he ever did it was purely accidental image

• Options

/members/images/17438/Gallery/6386_28559.jpg

This was the weather in Copenhagen in 2009

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

How did you get on Alex?

• Options

I believe....but don't quote me on this ..that alex did a 4:36 marathon...after a 2:04 half........

so it looks like he didn't go off way too quick.he keep it pretty constant until the last 10k which was then slower.which is what you would expect from someone who hadn't managed the training.....

as I predicted it is fairly easy for a young fitish bloke to get 4:30 if he doesn't go off to fast and it looks like alex did just the right thing.

Hope that all is well with you and well done for not gong off at 7/8 min miling to start

• Options

and the weather was horrible.....as it was raining heavily and so not that many support.

If i have got any of the above wrong then i apologise and will shut upimage

• Options

there are a couple of DNF alexanders - do we know which one is 'ours'?

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

If true, then thats a good effort to complete the marathon following his 'training plan' and by the sounds of it a fairly sensible pacing strategy.

Hope you haven't got many stairs to walk up or down over the next couple of days Alex

• Options

louise the DNF's are all older.....our alex is 21 and a student.i believe in sweden..this is the information i used for my detective workimage

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Just had a look at the results and the Alexander with the 4.36 finishing time is registered as being with a Swedish University  I think Alex said earlier in the thread that he was studying in Sweden?

• Options

aah - I couldn't recall his age.  Good work then, finishing sub-5 on basically no training at all.  I hate the young.

• Options
    Joseph Preston wrote (see)
    I was kinda hoping he would take 6 hours 24 minutes ......

Yeees...the late lamented DF3 should probably have incorporated more energy drinks into his 'training' schedule, and laughed off running entirely.

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

I think he is a real person.........I also think he is young and immature....I think that if he folows his friends plan there is a greta chance he will get injured before the race.hence him actually being sensible and not entering yet.,#

I think if he runs and takes it easy in the next few weeks he will have no problem in finishing probably closer to 4 than 5........

I just don't get why he comes on here and flounces and then comes back on and flounces.....

he obviously wanted us to say something  and we failed to understand what he wanted to hear.....some people do post because they want to hear an answer and unless you say what they want to hear they get all flouncy and aggressive

I think i was closest in predicting his finishing time image

• Options

Alex had the weather on his side. And what training he did do wasn't on a treadmill - it helps.

I still hope he never gets a job in a hospital near me though! image

• Options

Good detective work...I did 4.36, was great until 26k when I had cramp and really struggled. 

Probably could have done better, after the 2.05 half I felt pretty good and thought about going for a sub 4 time, went a bit too quick and had massive cramp the whole way after 26k. Really painful too finish. 

Full marathon is NOTHING like a half, a half is actually quite enjoyable, I'm sure with enough training a full could feel the same, but that was not the way it felt to me. 

• Options

"I was kinda hoping he would take 6 hours 24 minutes ......" 

COOL STORY BRO, TELL IT AGAIN.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Haha, well done Alex! In my opinion a full is more enjoyable than a half if you've trained properly for both, because you don't feel the need to go as fast.

• Options

So.....how long would it take to train for an iron man? (just to complete within the time limit)...

• Options

Good detective work...I did 4.36, was great until 26k when I had cramp and really struggled. 

Probably could have done better, after the 2.05 half I felt pretty good and thought about going for a sub 4 time, went a bit too quick and had massive cramp the whole way after 26k. Really painful too finish. 

Full marathon is NOTHING like a half, a half is actually quite enjoyable, I'm sure with enough training a full could feel the same, but that was not the way it felt to me. 

• Options

So.....how long would it take to train for an iron man? (just to complete within the time limit)...

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Alex - congrats.  On your limited training you ran the right race At the right pace.