Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thanks Yvonne I found the conflicting advice in the different books confusing too.

Thank you Andrew that's really helpful. I don't really get the chance for a mid week long run at the moment as my PT has me working on Fartlek and HIIT in the week but I guess that helps too and I don't have him for much longer after which I will still keep one day for speed work then but swap the others for a tempo and a MWLR then. I don't have any commitments on my time other than my 9-5job job so should be able to fit them in ok. Thanks for the advice and explaining why they help.

Also thanks for the advice about my goal pace. I think you are right and am going to up it and shoot for a faster time. I may not make it but I have 11 months to work on maintaining it for a long run and if I don't make it then I can fall back to the original goal time or failing that the goal of just finishing. I can be determined when I have something to work towards and it will make me work harder in the coming months. If I stick with the pace I can comfortably do now it may be too easy in the wet cold winter days to be lazy if I have a harder target to reach I'm going to want to work 100% to get there so if I don't quite get there I can be happy knowing I couldn't have done more. Thanks again 

• Options

Tillstar, something I have started doing with some of my long runs is running the first half of my long runs at 1 min mile slower than MP, and then the second half at MP. That way you're not tiring yourself out so much but you're getting your body used to running at MP and by doing it in the second half of your long run, you're also getting used to running at MP on tired legs.

• Options

may a couple of rest days  as I've come down with a sort throat and a cold that left me feeling a little drained or may just do a set of gentle recover runs on the the treadmill this week instead

• Options

Toby just go steady and listen to your body .... don't forget rule of thumb if it's above your neck  run but take it easy and stop if your finding even a recovery run is hard ...in your chest and limbs rest up ...take care you've been doing lots of running of late it does not hurt to have a few days off ..

Till star I guess the thing is not all training plans and ways of going about your training and what you do ie hill runs ,tempo,intervals,long slow runs or long faster no runs etc are not going to suit everyone ,experimenting with how you recover from your training runs are key ...we do have a bit of time to get a training plan sorted with what we hope will get us round in our desired time and also fits in with life ...

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tillstar I would echo what Barbie has suggested. Once a month run your LSR at part MP and part LSR pace, so for example if your LSR is 14 miles run 3 miles at MP + 1 min/mile, then run 8 miles at MP and finish with another 3 miles at MP + 1 min per mile. This way you get used to running at the pace you want to complete the marathon in, but are not too shattered that you end up not being able to complete your other training runs in the week.

The other run that is really important to increase your overall speed is your tempo run or lactate threshold run depending on what plan you follow - so you run at a pace that you can just hold for 4-6 miles, it will feel tough but not all out vomit inducing as it will be below your lactate threshold image.

Vomit inducing runs which are generally VO2 max is generally interval training. Not necessary for marathon training (marathon is endurance, and speed endurance) but useful training for 5k and to a lesser extent 10k races.

Can you tell that I have read too many running books, articles magazines etc image

• Options

Toby I agree with Yvonne, listen to your body and take the rest if u need it, don't over do it.

Thanks for the  advice everyone, really appreciate it. This forum has helped me so many times. I owe my running improvements and my confidence to go for the dream of completing this marathon to you all.

Would the following sound like a good plan for when I finish with my PT? (Sorry for more questions) 2 threshold being 1 warm up 3 tempo 1 cool down, 1 mwlr 6_8 (possibly up to 10 if I have time), 1 long 2-3 hrs with some at mp as suggested. 1 rest day, a recovery run and the final day being strength, cross train, Fartlek or rest depending on what you think is best and how my body feels.

• Options

4 mile run with my daughter tonight ,she upped the pace slightly feel it in my legs now ....10.23 all uphill and wind in our face for first mile, second mile 9.45 on road ,third mile 9.59 on trail, last mile 9.48 back on the road....kept up with the jack rabbit ....she had stitch again bless her....she runs with her right hand constantly pressed into her right side just below her ribs ...she has upped her fluid intake and drinks a high 5 tab in a litre of water every day as well as plain water....still at a loss as to what is causing it on every run ...

• Options

Tillstar, I would agree with Lisa, the tempo is more important. I'm kinda in 10k mode at the moment hence the intetrial training.  Having said that, if you do fancy a go at some intervals for marathon training I'd look at time based ones. 4 sets of 4-6 mins quick with a two min recovery.  looking at your suggested training plan, bust be sure to vary things a little, if your planning on increasing your lsr pace during those runs, maybe drop one midweek threshold run in favour of a steady 5-7 miles. Maybe Mix in some timed intervals or hill repeats. Don't let yourself get too stuck doing he same thing week after week, it's good to keep the legs guessing a little and not let yourself get bored after week 10 of the same! Yvonne is spot on in saying its about experimenting and finding what works for you. I've spent years just running at the same pace in my runs and similar distances other than long runs, it's only recently I've started experimenting more to try and get some better results.

yvonne, I'm sure your daughter has tried this but when I get a stitcI on a run ill slow slightly and focus hard on breathing deeply in through my nose and our through my mouth. Takes a few mins but seems to work (I also push may hand into the ribs as she does)

Tempo run for me this eve, splits of 7.02, 6.42, 7.18, 7.22 second mile ws with the wind at my back, mile 3 was running back into the wind and I stopped running at pace at 3.5 hence the diffence in time. rest day tomorrow image

• Options

well never got out for a run yesterday over slept and then by the time i got back from my weight watchers meeting had a shower i just had enough time to eat dinner before i had to be in work for a training course so another 12.5 hour night for me last night

cold not getting any better so i have a feeling there will be no running this week just resting up but will see how i feel when i get up

• Options

After a 3 weeks running break I restarted my training yesterday with a 5k jog. Today I have a 9k jog scheduled. I used the my.asics website to have the plan created. The first target is the Swiss City Marathon Lucerne on October 27.

The problem with my.asics is that it gives you max 4 runs/wek. Therefore, later in the training cycle I intend to add some days with long intervalls.

• Options

Thanks for the helpful post Andew that's great, really appreciate it.

Gym personal training session for me tonight and I'm looking forward to it. Now I have a goal of working towards a pace I can't yet do easily I'm looking forward to working hard to see improvements and feel I am achieving something

• Options

Tillstar i lovely your great positive attitude it's going to be a pleasure to keep you company as we journey towards coming year

• Options

Thank you Toby, thats really nice.  If it wasnt for you, Poohbear and Snowmaiden I would probably have never had the guts to sign up in the first place.

• Options

Great session with the PT tonight huge improvement from last week (even he said so)

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Im supposed to do a 10k race at the weekend but im not going to go as I feel I need to work on my endurance more and would rather do a long run.

• Options

Hey guys, the Travelodge next to Preston Park is now taking online bookings from 4th April.  From midnight tonight (Wednesday) it will be from 5th April.  The prices are still REALLY good so get in quick if you want a stress free start to your marathon day.  I've just booked a double room for friday, saturday and sunday nights for a total of £79.

The other Travelodge at the seafront will also be taking bookings now and the prices will be similar.  For now!

• Options

Afternoon all

pops head in to say hello well no running for me this week this cold has hit me for six i think my bodies finally said enough, enough i need a rest so cop this if you won't rest i make you

• Options

Toby hope you feel better soon, definitely take the rest and let yourself recover you have earnt it about 6 times over!! image

• Options

Toby, listen to your body and give it the rest it wants, you will come back much stronger for the rest hopefully. 

Tilstar, well done on your session. I would do what ever you feel suits you best this weekend, the beauty of 10k season is that there are so many of them that if you miss one there is always another in a week or two that you can enter! You could always run the 10k and then go for a second run, or ive known people add a few miles to get to the start line or once the race is over when they want to run further than a race distance to suit thier training needs but still want to take part in a particular race.

i did my second week of intervals today, 8 x 400m with 200m recovery.  400m times were 1.26, 1.33, 1.34, 1.28, 1.31, 1.31, 1.33, 1.31

• Options

3 miles done today, nice fast (for me) run down a long hill and then very slow jog back up it.  First time I have been able to jog all the way back up this particular hill, so must be getting fitter. 

Tillstar, I find the 10k runs give me a chance to see how much I have improved since this time last year, my ultimate goal is to get a sub 1 hour 10k this year, hopefully in Boscombe in November, but any minutes I knock off is a move towards this goal however long it takes me.

• Options

Well done poohbear its great that you can see all your hard work paying off I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal!

Thank you Andrew and poohbear for advice re the 10k. Will see how feel at the weekend as to what I do. I have another booked next month so may wait to do that one instead but shall see may do both.

fartlek on the treadmill for me tonight. increased the speed on last week so intervals of sets of 3 mins at 10.30 pace then 3 mins at 8.30 pace managed 6 reps (4 miles) which is an improvement on last time but pretty annoyed with myself as would have liked to make 9 reps but when i started sliding towards the end of the treadmill I admitted defeat. Next week I will win the battle with it!

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are shower facilities available after the marathon?

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Hey guys, the Travelodge next to Preston Park is now taking online bookings from 4th April.  From midnight tonight (Wednesday) it will be from 5th April.  The prices are still REALLY good so get in quick if you want a stress free start to your marathon day.  I've just booked a double room for friday, saturday and sunday nights for a total of £79.

The other Travelodge at the seafront will also be taking bookings now and the prices will be similar.  For now!

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Green Fairy. I just waited for midnight, because I want to start my stay on the Saturday.

I chose the seafront one, to make it easier for the family at the finish. 

I'd have forgotten all about booking it if you hadn't posted. So cheers. 25 quid a night... can't go wrong!

Edit.... forget my previous post about showers.  I've got a room close by now!

• Options

Run Wales not as far as I'm aware

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Morning all

Hope you feel better soon Toby.

Poobear - you wi get that sub 60 10k.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Doing a very slow 7 miles with a friend at running club this evening to help with her long runs. Then on Sunday I'm coding Great Baddow 10image

• Options

Sorry I have another question for you; I'm thinking of getting a camelbak as sports drinks and gels dont agree with me but high 5 does and a camelbak would allow me to take enough fluid with me on long runs. The problem is I don't know what size to go for? The larger I get the heavier its going to be but they are expensive so this would be an investment to use in the marathon too So does anyone have any recommendations on what size to go for? 

• Options

Hmm just agreed to play hockey for 40 consecutive hours over the bank holiday weekend next week - guess thats good endurance training!

• Options

Tillstar my camelbak holds about 1.5 liter of water which i find more than enough it's worth paying the money as i bought a cheap one the first time and the bladder split and i'd only used it twice

• Options

Thanks toby I made the mistake of buying a cheap one a few years ago and it promptly leaked all over me before I had even left the house so never even got to use it as anything other than an unwanted portable shower!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

I've got 2 ltr camelbak band drank all of it at Brighton this year. I would recommend getting a spare bladder for water only runs or bike rides. My one has two pockets which is handy for my mobile.