Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

morning all

well weight wise am now staying perrty much constant going between 10st 6.5lbs and 10st 08lbs most weeks training for the Bristol H/M started this week and i must say it feel odd as the longest run i have is an 11 mile one after all the high mileage i was doing

lots of lovly 3's and 4's

• Options
    Nix10Nix10 ✭✭

Brighton half now entered image

Toby3  What training programme are you following?  I use the garmin ready ones from this site, but interested in trying out some different ones.

• Options

Nix 10 i follow a plan given tome by Shades who has their own thread going I've used it to train for every Brighton Marathon though i have tweaked it over the years to included a lot more high mileage runs

• Options

Wow what a difference eating the correct amount of calories makes! Same session as Tuesday tonight (8 HIIT reps and cross training) and even though I upped the speed 2 degrees it still felt too easy. still feels weird making myself eat more than normal and more than I feel I need even if it is all healthy. I'm so glad to be back to training at full intensity and knowing I can push myself again image

• Options

Those of you looking at diet, basically you shouldn't get too fixated on calories either for loosing or gaining weight. People can get too obsesed by it IMHO.  im sure you are all aware that for men you should be consuming 2500 a day and women 2000 to maintain body weight not taking into account any additional exercise you do. The key is very much to eat a balanced diet. I've found home cooked meals like cottage pie, chilli etc are very good for offering a range of foods and a sensible calorie count. The other thing to bare in mind ESP for those of you who are not eating enough is that ideally (this is only the theory I don't do this myself) you should be aiming for six meals a day. 3 main meals and 3 sensible snacks in between. This maintains your energy levels throughout the day whilst ensuring you are full enough not to overeat at main meal times. Finally your bodies will all have a natural weight that it will stabilise at. Basically if you loose weight in a healthy fashion (eating sensibly not dieting and exercising) then your body will drop to a healthy weight which it will maintain. If you are eating too little for your lifestyle then you will continue to loose weight. I suspect I've just written an essay all about stuff everyone here already knows but never mind image good luck all whatever your goals are!

on a different note, after my intervals on wed, did a 5.5 mile tempo last night at just over 7min per mile. Then this afternoon went for a more steady 4.5 miles. Feels very weird only being out for 30-40mins on my runs after months of marathon training!

• Options

Thanks Andrew that's good to hear.

• Options

So my friend talked me into a 12km charity walk for tomorrow. It's not a run but it's still a long old way. Nowhere near as long as Brighton of course. image

Been a bit lax on the running this week to be honest, did a mile back from work most nights, but haven't really gotten any milage bar that. So looking forward to tomorrow.

• Options

Good luck snowmaiden, if its a walk you can just relax an enjoy urself so don't worry about the distance

• Options

Snowmaiden have a nice time and enjoy it image

• Options

Good luck snowmaiden - enjoy it! 4 mile recovery run this morning for me - went out at 6am the sun was out and only a few sheep were about to keep me company. Could have gone for much longer but decided to follow the plan properly. Felt so good to be back out running and finding it easy again (as a recovery run should be) days like today make me happy I run

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tillstar glad to hear that you are back on form image and no wonder you felt wrecked eating so few calories!

Nix10 I too am running Brighton HM as a precurser to the big one.

Snowmaiden good luck with your walk today.

I have a recovery run planned for today - was going to do my local Parkrun but did a tempo run on Thursday and don't want to push my speedwork too much. I have an 11 mile LSR for tomorrow. 

Happy running all.

• Options

All being well im having a catch up with toby and poohbear today ...we are also off out for a 5 mile run image havnt seen them since last october when we ran the swindon half marathon and i am looking forward to lots of training talk and tales of running feats ...im gonna see if their determination in both their weight loss and how speedy they have become will rub off on me ..... im hoping the weather stays nice though so they dont have to cancel..

Tillstar thats what my eldest daughter always drums into me about eating a little bit more for training purposes although i dont think i should be getting extra calories through a toblerone (which is what i had yesterday ) image i did have spag bol too though ..

Snowmaiden enjoy your day today ...

Andrew we always welcome any type of information on this thread ...sometimes someone may feel to embarassed to ask about something as they may think that they should know what this running lark is all about but we are all still trying to run and train harder and faster to improve, as its what we enjoy to do, so you may have just answered someones question

Green fairy i see a future filled with lots of running for you with that race list .....

• Options

I'm also running Brighton half (and great south too) seems like there will be quite a few of us on here doing the Brighton half, maybe we could even meet up? Happy running all!! I'm off to volunteer for the charity I'm running for today. Looking forward to my 10 mile long run tomorrow.

• Options

that what i like about running there's always some thing new you can learn or someone will come up with some thing you havn't though of trying 

• Options

Just finished my walk. Started at 10:30 and finished about 14:10. The friends that talked me into the run are both limping. I found it was great fun. Got very soggy though

• Options

Snowmaiden well done on your walk.....sorry you got soggy though

Had a lovely catch up with toby and poohbear and wow they look like lean mean running machines... ...and its really a case of grit and determination and goals to aim for in increasing my speed...toby said he first decided to run everymile with a 9. ? in front of it then when he mastered that he started to run with a 8 or low 9 min pace until he could run mostly 8.? min miles .....so its determination and belief in yourself that you will do it and that you CAN DO IT.....oh that and adding on extra miles to a run eh poohbear image

I did do a tiny bit of toby speed when we had finished our 5 miles around the park.....he did say after we should of done the whole lap at that pace ...yikes....see i cant say yikes now i have to say i can do it i will give it a good try ....

Im starting my healthy eating monday (well cutting out large slices of cake and a whole chocolate bar etc) to lose a few pounds i only need to lose 7 to 10 pounds i would say im starting now but toby and poohbear left a lush gift ...mind you it is slightly easier when you have someone to answer too ....i should treat you all as my weight watcher meeting group and you can boo and hiss or give me a dissappointed eye rolling smiley if i dont lose the weight...

Need to get my heart rate monitor sorted ie it needs a new battery and then start doing some serious threshold running have been reading up on it and the way to get your rhr and mhr etc and im still sorting through plans as they differ so much ...for now just continuing my base layer of running but from now will do a run to try and keep a 9 in front for as many miles as i can then increase from there...see look how positive i am now...at least i can say i give it my best shot and i didnt play at it ...

• Options

evening all

well back from Yvonne's had a great run she took us to one of the local parks have to say it made a nice change from pounding the streets

Yvonne thanks again for haveing us up to you

• Options

Toby and Poohbear its always a pleasure and it was good to catch up ....image

• Options

Thanks Yvonne for a lovely afternoon - it was great being able to jog around the park under the trees with all the bluebells for a change. 

Even managed 11 and a half minute pace for complete 5 miles, so proved I can do it.  Just need to work on sustaining this for longer at a time.  3 aims this year - 1. jog for longer at a time, 2. increase pace of jogging, 3. cut out the damn loo breaks!

Well done on your walk Snowmaiden.

Glad to hear you have sorted out your lack of energy Tillstar and are enjoying running again.

Look forward to seeing you again in Brighton next year Green Fairy.

• Options

Guys. I know accomadation has been discussed but has anyone recommend any hotels in Brighton that have large family rooms. May be coming down with hubby and 3 young boys in tow!! 

Thanks

• Options

had an enjoyable 5 mile run yesterday with toby and poohbear ...in a min im off out for a 6 miler with my daughter she wants to see how fast she is over that distance as im entering us in a 10km in june so i may come back very red in the face but i will keep up with her .....

• Options

Thanks Poohbear its good to be back! I hope I can apply some of your determination to my training in the coming year. 

Yvonne hope the 6 miles goes well and you aren't too red faced at the end.

Good 10 miles for me this morning.  Best long run I have had for ages felt strong all the way through and it didnt make me ill this time! It took 1 hr 40 which was my initial target for the Great South Run in October so Im now going to aim for a faster target.  I havent decided what but if I can do 1hr 40 now then im hoping with all the work I plan to put in between now and the end of October I might be able to get nearer 1hr 35 or 1hr 30 but Im not pressuring myself with targets too much the main aim is just to finish knowing I did my best.

Had a good day volunteering for my charity yesterday, now off to walk the dog before relaxing.  Happy Running Everyone image

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Yvonne hope you had a good run, and face is now no longer red image

Tillstar is great that you are now feeling so much better when you are running. I would suggest that you will easily beat your 1hr 40 min goal in October if you are already able to run that now in a training run. Just see how your training comes on over the next few months before deciding on a goal time as you may surprise yourself!

14.28 miles for me today, slightly longer then planned but it was lovely out there. As I am aiming for 8.50 - 9.00 min/mile goal for Chester Marathon in October I decided to really focus on my pacing today as I always run my LSR too fast, and I managed to run consistently and slowly for the entire time with my pacing of 9.45 min/mile, so very happy for now image

• Options

Run done in lovely weather this morning ...its not looking to great out there now.... face wasnt too red, although, my face goes red on every run, it always has done, looks like ive ran in the heat of 50 degrees i must just get super heated that the old blood has to get to the surface of my skin asap to cool down!!

6 Miles in 1 hour 5 mins now she has a bench mark and she will try to improve that time each time we go out for a run..

• Options

had an enjoyable 5 mile run yesterday with toby and poohbear ...in a min im off out for a 6 miler with my daughter she wants to see how fast she is over that distance as im entering us in a 10km in june so i may come back very red in the face but i will keep up with her .....

• Options

not sure why the above has double posted ???????

• Options

Oooh that is weird Yvonne it obviously liked what you said so much it decided we needed to hear it again image

Lisa thanks for the encouragement, that sounds like a good plan, cheers.

Question for you and anyone else, in order to get faster should I run my long runs aiming to do them at a faster pace if I can e.g. today averaged 10 min miles should I try and average under 10 min miles next week or do the long run slower? I had gone out aiming for 10'20 pace today but not one mile managed that ranging 9'45 to 10'15.  I apologise for asking a question I should already know the answer to but I'm after advice on the best way to progress and get faster and most if not all of u are more experienced than me so your advice would be appreciated image  confused whether it is better to try and up the pace or do the long runs slower rule

• Options

tillstar i have been reading different marathon training books and each one gives different advice ..... some advocate 3 runs a week a long run threshold and lap training all at a fast pace as to run fast you have to train fast its about quality not quantity .... others say long slow runs .... to be honest its left me confused ..... i think a plan has to fit in with your life then your most likely to be able to give it your all ....i will say though that i will devote a run a week to do what toby said he did to increase his pace and that is to run with every mile starting with a 9 so whether thats 9:46 or 9:59 until every mile is comfortable and your running  further then go down to 8 something pace and run further at that pace each time ...i hope ive explained it right toby if not correct me ... 

• Options

Tillstar, as has been pointed out to me on several occasions, that's the whole point of these forums, to be able to ask anything and get a variety of opinions all aimed at supporting each other in our aims to enjoy and improve our running.

basically, your long run is not always the best place to improve your speed, tally should really be taking place in your midweek runs. You ideally would aim to do one or two speed sessions in a week, if two you would look to do a tempo run (anything from 2-5miles at a pace you can maintain consistently but is faster than your normal running speed, at the end of this you should not feel able to go on any further) the other can either be track or time intervals or hill sprints. The aim of these speed sessions is to get your legs used to moving faster and running while they are tired. This way when you start to increase your longer run pace you have already trained your legs to cope with it.  For most of us with work, kids an everything else in ur lives, two speed sessions a week is challenging but as Yvonne says it's all about finding what works for you.

having said all this, if you are finding your long run pace easy then an increase in pace will be easier. Based on your long run today it sounds as though you are aiming to run too slow for your ability. Increasing your pace should be a steady thing so your body has time to adapt to the changes you are putting in place.

hope that helps a little?