Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Yvonne -  don't think wine on a run is a good idea for me - I wouldn't finish the course !

Lisa - That Barnse Green looks interesting and is a reasonable distance for me. Do you know if it is reasonably flat ? I will probably do Tonbridge but want to keep my options open until nearer the time when I can guage how my training is going, having ahd two previous disastrous attempts at the half due to poor preparation

• Options

Thank you Lisa123 hopefully you are right.  Its starting to really annoy me that I cant run like I used to and I miss the buzz I used to get after a good run, sounds weird but I don't feel like me at the moment without the running.

I guess I was seeing the hockey as just another game when in reality we played more than a season so hopefully it wont be too long before my body is ready to run properly again

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Skippy Barnes Green is classed as undulating so not completely flat or hilly - probably quite similar to Tonbridge. Good idea to decide nearer the time depending on how the training is going.

• Options

chicken out of the 10 miles i was thinking of doing today and  opted for 8 in the instead  got around in 1:11:27 avg pace was 8:40 but the best thing was all the splits were in the 8's so looking good for pacing Yvonne around Bristol in September

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Not run since last Tuesday's 5k race. When to Brighton on Thursday and came home today as hubby did London 2 Brighton Bike Ride.

Going to do a 12 mile run tomorrow morning as am Beachy training.

• Options

Tracey G have you done beachy head marathon before? Ive heard its hard and hilly but lots of fun and good camaraderie among runners ....Im a bit of a chicken with races and prefer mine flatish but wouldnt mind giving this one a go ....

Toby thought you said nothing faster that 8:58 would be good for a sub 2 hour half ?? You want me to get a proper sub 2 hour dont you ? not just a 1:59 job ha ha

I know i can do a sub 2 as brighton was 1:56 at the 13.1 mile mark until i had to run the extra that the cone was out of place by!!!! gggrrr

• Options

Yvonne is PB worth getting it's worth getting wellimage

• Options

just 5 miles for me today then may well ring the changes Wednesday and do  a gym session

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Yvonne - Beachy No8 for me this year. It's a very friendly race. Yes it's very hilly, but if slow old me can do it anyone can.

• Options

Hi yvonne 2

For a rather flat half I always try to run at least 5:30/km which should be around 8:45/mi and gives me 1:53 - 1:54 for the training session.

all the best

• Options

Well I admit defeat! Have finally accepted that at over 3 weeks I have had too long off running and need to forget what I could do before and trying to carry on where I left off. Going to start again  as a new runner and build back up gradually Rather than trying for a long run failing and sulking for a few days I just going to aim for short runs at first and just keep increasing the distance each week. Personal training session was hard tonight and just hurt thinking of giving him up. 

• Options

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your running Tillstar.  You could always try a run/walk method until you are back up to speed.  I think PTs enjoy making you hurt, as I always have an ache somewhere the day after a PT session.

Went out for a 4.5 mile run tonight with my new toy - a Garmin Forerunner 10 - it was nice to be able to keep tabs on distance and pace, though only managed 3 out of 4 miles at pace I was aiming for, though one of them was 10.48min mile pace which is good for me.  Very slow last mile though up hill as ended up walking.

• Options

Franz  thank you for words of encouragement ......I know it's gonna hurt sticking to the pace needed for a good sub 2 half

but I'd rather my legs hurt from trying and achieving it than my ears and ego get hurt from toby giving me agro cos I gave up ....believe me I was on the end of an ego bashing and I felt very sorry for myself cos I knew everything I was told was correct I was the only one who let myself down and I had a defeatist attitude.....believe me those words sunk in ..... but sometimes you need to be told cos we can all say oh well perhaps I should of done this or that when really we don't admit maybe just maybe we could of squeezed out a little more juice ....

• Options

Morning all

Well just 5 miles for me yesterday it was very overcast when i looked out but boy it was hotter out than it looked not the fastest I’ve coved that particular course getting around in 43:42 but the splits were ok with three in the 8:20 and 2 in the 8:50

Tillstar sounds like a good plan to build the mileage back up slowly

Yvonne sorry if i bashed your ego but it the same when i run with Poohbear i get i little frustrated for you as i know what your both capable of

• Options

Thank you Toby and poohbear image for good advice as always image

• Options

Toby dont apologise for my ego bashing it was well deserved that day and everything that was said was true i had it in my mind that jenny was getting her puppy anyway and i didnt try my best .......i was 43 seconds over the 2 hours if i had dug deep and kept up with your pacing i would have done it but i gave in!!!!!

• Options

i was going to do a gym session today but have only just got up i haven't slept this long in ages but the problem now is i will be having to think about  going  back to work soon so the gym session won't get done today so i may just walk to work for a change or even dig my bike out

• Options

Tillstar I'm in a similar position. I've had nearly 2 months off with my back issue. Now that I'm able to run again I'm really struggling. I'm only able to do between 2-4 miles before I just want to stop and go home. I'm just going to build up my mileage again slowly. My issue now is feeling frustrated at not being able to run at my normal pace for very long. Today wasn't good as I felt like I'd run a half but it was only 3 miles!! I blame the humidity! 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Yvonne - you have to not listen to the voice in your read to slow down or even walk in your next half. 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
  • Options

Tracey I've never stopped and walked in any race I've done including the old marathons but I do get to a certain mileage in a half usually around 9 miles when I feel like I'm slowing down and I usually am and in a 10km it's mile 5!!!!! I need to either do lots more speed work or more long runs or just constant running and somehow overcome these energy blips oh and I don't think gels work I don't seem to get anything out of them unless I'm taking them at the wrong times or the wrong brands ....but I do tend to let that voice in my head win sometimes he is very naughty  and tells me I'm tired or I can't do this but I do keep going and try to ignore him ....

• Options

Don't worry I knew what you meant image

• Options

Yvonne the the voice in your head will have a name this time around he's going to be called toby3

• Options

image Toby that made me smile, Yvonne you are going to have to listen to that voice this time image

Jellygirl Its nice to know I am not the only one in this position, I totally identify with how you feel Im exactly the same, my normal steady pace that I cant run any slower than is feeling more like a sprint.

Off to the gym tonight for a gentle 2 miles.  Feels ridiculos as I have never run less than 3 miles but I figured if I aim for 2 I have more chance of doing it and feeling like I was starting to achieve something again rather than trying for too many and failing.

Playing hockey again on Saturday so hopefully that wont put the running backwards again.  Its not a permanent return just helping out my friend who is short of players and then I can do a nice slow run on sunday.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Yvonne - I have to give myself a talking to in some race lol. 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Got running track session this evening with the club ????????????????

• Options

Tillstar and Jellygirlone good thing about your mojo going now and having to build back up slowly at least you have plenty of time to do it before the training for Brighton starts in earnest in December or January better to lose it now with 9 months to go than lose it with only 2

• Options

Thanks Toby that's a good point. I'm not quitting, I said I would run Brighton 2014 and I won't be stopped. My mojo has has a long enough holiday after the world record and now I am going to hunt it down!

well 2 miles done tonight. Id had enough after 2 mintues but kept going and it actually got easier. Probably could have done more but I didn't want to push it too hard im happy enough that I completed a training session but more than that I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next session, I am finally tracking down my mojo, normal service will be resumed soon image

• Options

no long run for me this weekend just to much to do around the house so will give it a miss this weekend and get back to it next week

• Options

Well after having only run a 2 miler last saturday on the treadmill and the 10km on the 12th june i thought i best get out today and run, although i did have a slight groin strain after the 10km and thought rest was better, plus some of the evenings last week when i thought i would run, life and its events got in the way ie school concerts etc...

Anyway i thought its about time i started my half marathon training and ran 7 miles and every mile was in the 9 min 30-35 mark ....so well happy with that if thats now my slow/steady pace my legs have learnt to go faster image ive also decided to give up dairy as i know this produces lots of mucas in your lungs hence why they say not to have dairy when you have a cold as it produces lots of the stuff and slightly blocks your nose to .....my official diagnoses on my lungs isnt asthma its the damage i caused my lungs through smoking when younger although ive been given up for 18 years now, and have been a non smoker longer than i was a smoker but the nurse seems to think there is just a slight blockage stopping me taking a full lung full of oxygen when running ,she has told me to try and relax and try and breathe deeper into my lungs if i can although i still sound like a train!!!

Back onto the dairy free ive noticed a big reduction in the amount of times i blow my nose a day .....having been to the hospital for allergy tests to see why the nose constantly drips i wasnt advised it could be diet!!! Have not had any cheese all week  (its just a convenient sandwich filling eh) i have olive spread anyway and i only have milk in my porridge and tea so have brought a variety of oat ,rice and almond milk to see how they taste in tea!!!! Not a big cream  or butter eater so thats not gonna be hard to stop eating .....now chocolate on the other hand may be harder but good old plain 80% stuff is ok in small doses ...i will after a month introduce goats milk and goats yoghurt to see if the runny nose returns ....but today on my run i blew my nose twice and thats cos of the wind normally i would be constant tissue in /out of my pocket so its looking good and its worth a try...

Toby hope you get your house jobs done this weekend

Tillstar hope your mojo is tracked down quickly too