Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone ????

Starting to plan my Brighton marathon training now that I've done Beachy. Managed 3 miles on Thursday and 4 miles yesterday ????

• Options

Morning all

did 16 miles on Friday and have to say struggled over the last 3 of them  the 16 mile mark came up on my Garmin about  a quarter of a mile from where i stop normally and at this point i was really feeling it but did i give up and walk you bet i did

So at least i know i need to run a few more of that sort of length before i get ambitious and try any thing longer

• Options

Well done Toby image

• Options

Afternoon all

well 10 miles done today looking back at previous runs over that route it was about average at 1:28:47 thought I’d look at some of my previous 16 miles runs not so good on that score i was 10 minutes slow than when  i ran it when training for the Brighton this year  and 15 minutes slower than when i ran it when i was training for the Bristol H/M in September oh well just show how much work i have to do

• Options

Hadn't heard about the fatality in Dublin.  Wow.   27yrs old. image

• Options

Toby - how's Snowmaiden?

• Options

Hi Tracey she fine we signed her up for weight watchers and so far she's lost 2.5st in weight so she should be a lean mean running machine by the time Brighton comes around next year I've decided to run with her next year and were looking for a sub 5hr

• Options

I hate people who post on forums, in the middle of the night, with nothing to say - just so they can get the 1000th post on a thread.

It really is pathetic.

• Options

Toby, that's fantastic weight loss. I will not recognise Snowmaiden at Brighton. I'm going to get my sub 5hrs at Brighton as should have done it last year.

• Options

Training has not been going to plan at ALL! Been sporadic and then i did too much too soon and injured myself. Now i've got man flu. 

Dec 2nd is 18 weeks to the big day - so, I will do some base miles until then ocne the cold is gone and then gently start a more formal training plan image 

How are you all doing? 

• Options

I must admit, my brain won't be switched to 2nd December.  I'm not mentally ready to commit yet.   It's 30 days since Chester and looking at my training log, I've been out a satisfactory(ish) 10 times - but all are between 2 and 6 miles. To be fair though, I've been trying to work on speed a bit more in the last couple of weeks.

2 or 3 cross countries before Christmas...  I'll probably bumble along until then, then  knuckle down to a plan.  You never know though... I might suddenly get back into the swing of things.

Don't wait for me!

• Options

NN - you are starting in a MUCH better place than me lol. I can't wait to shake this cold! The rain has stopped. The sun is out. And I'm stuck in doors with a man flu image

• Options

Marathon training started today, my first one, decided to use the asics tool for plan, nice easy 3 mile run tonight.

Khanivore - hope man flu soon disappears, reminds me to get flu jab.

• Options

Got my plan sorted and all runs are booked into my diary apparently your more likely to do it then image,I'm starting on the 30 th November which is a Saturday,my long run day ,up till then I've ran 4 half marathons last one was 2 weeks ago I have a 10 km race on the 17th November and then a spa weekend on the 22nd23rd24th,November,to recharge then it's marathon training for brighton and London woop woop 

Hope everyone is soon raring able and willing to get training ..

• Options

Morning all

Had every intention of do 5 miles yesterday but to my shame never got around to them as i couldn’t get my ass of the settee so will make up for it today and do another 10 miles  then on Friday i will have another go at a 16 mile run  

The idea being to get a good base to start for when Marathon training kicks in hopefully it won’t take me long to get use to doing the big mileage runs again as i was doing 15 to 20 miles runs though out most of the summer

• Options

I'm only up to 5 miles after Beachy and Toby's talking about 16 miles ????

• Options

Tracey, thats cos Toby is super human!!!

Ive seen him run up a hill like its flat!!!

• Options

Still going good here.....The bad weather's not put me off yet. I've been out three times a week, for the last three weeks. Mostly 6 milers with a 9 and a 10 for good measure.

This time last year I'd only been running three months and was really struggling with ITB....seems like a lifetime ago.

I really don't know how I'm gonna cope next week though........I'm in to hospital on Monday for a Hernia repair image I've got no idea how that's gonna affect my running, and for how long.

• Options

Good luck Mervin,

Hernia ops aren't necessarily long term lay offs, as you probably know.  Footballers are often back to the twisting and turning and rigours of their sport within a month or less.  Indeed, I just found this text from  a few years ago...

"Although each hernia problem is different depending on the size and extent of the tear in the abdominal muscle wall, if the damage is not too serious then it is not unusual for players to be back after just a couple of weeks of rehabilitation.

Alan Shearer managed to be back in full training just seven days after having similar surgery during his playing days, and Liverpool will hope that Torres can enjoy such a speedy recovery."

• Options

Cheers NN...yeh, I'm kinda anticipating having two weeks off then tippy toeing a couple of miles.

• Options

Morning all

Well never had time for the 10 miles yesterday so did 8 instead although it was drizzling out yesterday it didn’t look to bad so donned the wet weather running gear and set of boy was i wet by the time i got home feet were squelching in my running shoes

Swervin Mervin hope the hernia op goes Ok

• Options

I'm seriously slacking! Keep meaning to just get out there but it's so easy (psychologically) to skip a run when it's only 3 miles or so .. They don't half add up though! image

Glad everyone else's training seems to be going better than mine! image

• Options

Hi All

I've just signed up for Brighton.  I ran the Dublin Marathon last monday which was my 4th marathon,  i ran a 4hr 28m PB.  Dublin is an amazing event and despite fading in the last 6 miles ( i ran a 70 minute 10k ! ) and having my garmin pack in at mile 3 i'm very keen to run it again.  

After drinking my bodyweight in Guinness i've done two 3 milers this week and have now decided i should give Brighton a go as i know a few people who've ran it before who say it is a very good race.  

I will be training to go below 4 hours & hope to try a 6 miler at the weekend now the aches have gone away.  

Good luck all.  

• Options

Hi all

Dont know if anyone else has seen this latest news re Brighton 2014 course - link follows below

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/brighton-unveils-faster-course

It looks like they are taking out part of the hill at Rottingdean so should be faster course again next year.

Hope everyones training is going well.

• Options

morning all

rest day yesterday out to have another go at the 16 miles although i may just run till i get fed up and of course it depends on the weather after Wednesday

drat there changing the course and I'm running with my daughter this year oh well will just have to come back in 2015 to see if i can get a faster time

• Options

Still flirting with ITB, have been stretching and using foam roller, as well as strengthening exercises. Gentle 3 miler night, for first time pain free, did a 5 miler on Wednesday and would say pain was about 2/10. I am wondering whether or not to take a two week break so that it settles down or to keep going. I have a 5 miler on sunday, think I will see how that goes, but any advice would be appreciated.

• Options

6 miles tonight, 7 miles on Wednesday....trying to keep at it before my enforced rest.

Sully2...I know how you feel. This time last year I was really suffering with my ITB (I was always pain free until about 40 mins running then it became so sore I had to walk). What part of your body are you using the roller on? The internet suggested the side of my thigh but after I'd seen a physio he advised me to roll my buttock which made a MASSIVE difference and my ITB issues were gone in no time.

Stick at it.

• Options

Swervin Mervin ...... yep using on side of thigh and also tried on front of hip (per asics tutorial) but that seemed to cause problems. I will try on buttocks as well thanks for tip. Feel pretty good still after last nights run so I am hopeful tomorrow will be totally pain free. For me this is a balancing act of trying to workout if best to keep gently pushing and hopefully it will get better, or total rest so that I have no problems as the mileage starts to increase. I guess what I am most concerned about is making it worst and then prolonging the recovery.

• Options

Hi Mervin, I think it depends what kind of hernia you have. I had an open inguinal repair done in July and was out for 5 weeks. Is this what you have, if not I won't bore you with it! Hope it goes well either way. 

• Options

Evening all

well was going to have another go at the 16 miles on Friday but took one look out the window and said sod it no such luck today though the Poohbear want to get 6 miles  of road running in before the Swindon 10k next weekend so out in the rain we went although by the time we started our second loop the rain had stopped