Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Davvy1 - as this will be your first marathon, I would suggest that you have loads of time up until April, and possibly do your training plan from january with the building up of miles, to 3 weeks before race day and then taper. after the half which will be about mid december from what you have said, I would take a week off, wnd just do some shorter runs through the week, then for the weekends stick to 10 to 13 milers until January, and enjoy running, then the training starts. this is only my opinion you are the person that knows you best go with how you feel, good luck.

Week 2 of my training started today, with a gentle 7 miler, heart rate up abit, but the fitness will take a couple of weeks to kick back in, got my new Hoka's last week and so far really impressed.

take care everyone

• Options

Davey, I agree with C&I Dad - keep a good base going but dont overdo it with long runs too early (unless you have been running these distances for years).

You need to go into marathon training 100% fit as it does take the body quite a bit of time to repair itself, and too many long runs too early may find you peaking too soon or just plain getting injured.

Having said that congratulations on having such a good base so early.

• Options

40 minutes today along Dyke Road/Avenue (Brighton)... in plimsolls! image

The running toy claimed I was a tad faster and VO2 max up by 3 which is all good (& probably just co-incidence) but the toy mysteriously no longer showed a ground contact time chart and after the run I had one achy lower calf and metatarsal heads ached too so will be back to the usual shoes. Shame as the plimsolls were only £4, if you have good forefoot form you may be able to go olde-school image

I do love the quiet footfall of the plimsolls & the flexibility is amaizin' but as my form is not perfect I think I'd need the front half of my usual shoe with the back half of the plimsols to be able to make use of them! Don't worry I won't get the scissors out, you'll not have to run away from Frankenshoe at the Brighton marathon!

• Options

Piggyback - imagine what it would be like in plimies after 26 miles!!!! quiet footfall and screams of pain?

• Options

Intervals for me this morning although my legs were aching quite a bit from the shock of having actually done a proper run yesterday that it was more 8 laps of the track than the intervals it was supposed to me. Going to have a change around of the plan next week so the intervals aren't the morning after an afternoon long run. 630am at the end of November and im still running in shorts image Love it

• Options

Afternoon all

well just back from Boscombe had a lovely weekend eat too much so will need to work hard to get the weight back down and guess what yes Poohbear did it again another PB coming home in 1:06:25 taking of another 5 minutes of her 10k time and a staggering 18 minutes off the time she ran it in last year

although the chip time said 1:07:00 they seem to have rounded it up as my Garmin said 1:06:24 and Poohbear’s Garmin said 1:06:26

• Options
    Wenty wrote (see)

Piggyback - imagine what it would be like in plimies after 26 miles!!!! quiet footfall and screams of pain?

I don't think I'd be the first to complete a marathon in them as I think it would have been quite normal pre 1970-ish (or whenever it was "trainers" arrived). But I can see your point, in fact, I may be able to feel it as I've a few new aches now image.

• Options

Official chip time now adjusted for Boscombe 10k - 1.06.22.  Well pleased with that as getting closer to sub 1hr 10k now. 

• Options

Piggyback - you may have stumbled across something there as not many people were running marathons pre 70's - Now i know why!

Well done Poohbear!

• Options

Contratulations Poobear image

• Options

Morning all

8 miles for me yesterday will do 5 or 6 today but not shore what I’ll run Friday scary thing is my training plan for Brighton starts next week doesn’t seem 5 minutes ago we had just finished the race

• Options

Well my foolhardy plimsoll experiment lead to 2 days rest. I wouldn't say that it was all bad. I think if I'd started my training in them then I'd have built up slowly & they may have been fine. I think if you could get ones with a better top rather than canvas (which would be grim in the rain/wet) then I'd be tempted to use them. They were much quieter than my "normal" shoes. The problem seemed to come from it being easier to run at a silly pace (which I'm not use to).

Anyway, back on planet normal, I picked up with the plan today which said 30 minutes jog. Being a tad nervous after a couple a days off I took it extra easy with 3.1 miles in 33'50". My lowest running HR since I got my new toy with heart rate on it. Good Piggy, no limping required. Yet.

• Options

Piggy - someone ran Brighton on flip flops one year.

Got 9 miles planned for today. Not looking forward to it thou????

• Options

Tracy you'll soon get into your 9 miles and then feel smug and righteous when it's done, knowing I've still got my 8 miles to do in the morning imageyea that's the start of my marathon training plan today,I've only got a leg warming 30 mins steady,decided yet again to do the Sam Murphy plan she hasn't failed me yet ...

• Options

Evening all

did something foolish today and 20 miles knew i would struggle so did as a run walk from the start running 1mile walk for a 10th of a mile then run to the next the whole thing took me 3:26:03 looking back which is what i did the first 20 miler in last year  Oh well can only get faster

• Options

Yvonne - did my 9 miles in 1:38:25 image

Toby - that how I done long runs in the passed if I've been ill and needed to get back on track 

• Options

Tracy and toby well done on your runs,I started my brighton/ London marathon training with a 45 min fartleck session on Friday to warm the legs up for yesterday's 8 miles in what was beautiful weather,blue sky and sunshine and nice and cool,I did treat myself to a headband yesterday when I went into town ,as a suffer if my ears get cold ,but I can't wear a hat as I get to hot ....anyway day 3 today sees just a 30 min steady run 

Training has begun and it feels goooooood.......

• Options

Hiya everyone, sorry it’s been so long.

I have a lot to report since I was last here. Have lost three stone now on the Weight Watchers plan, was 13stone 8lbs when I ran Brighton, now only 10stone 3.5lbs J That means I’ve achieved the weight goal that I set myself after the last Brighton Marathon.

The second half of that goal, the two hours off of my 7hours 10mins, seems more doable now, especially after my first long run of the training plan (which started today) was a 10 miler that I managed in 2hours 5mins. A huge improvement over the time it took me to do the same distance this time last year.

Running is so much easier now I’m not carrying that much extra weight and I feel so much healthier for it. And the beauty is I haven’t cut anything out of my diet either, just using the diet or healthier options.

Anyway, well done to everyone for all their new PB’s and it’s good to be back.

• Options

Snowmaiden one word WOW ......amazing achievement well done ......keep on running 

• Options

Well done Snowmaiden! I remember your posts on last years Brighton marathon...I am sure your 5 hour marathon awaits you next year!

• Options

hi Snowmaiden looking forward to seeing you on Saturday and going out for a couple of runs with you

• Options

Hi guys, hope you dont mind me posting here, im running my first ever marathon at brighton. done a couple of half's, no particular goal time in mind just hoping to finish!

Donna 

• Options

Banksy81 welcome to the thread the more the merrier

• Options

Thanks Toby. about to kick off my 16 week training plan this evening with 4.5 miles.

• Options

Morning all

Well 10 miles for me yesterday to kick of my training plan i have two 5 and another 10 this week i have decided to try and enjoy the training this year and try not to get to hung up over the time or pace i do the training runs in well that’s the plan but I’m not holding my breath at some point i start comparing the times to last year  

• Options

Morning all, 

5 miles in 1hour 4mins this morning before work. Not too shabby if I say so myself.

Yvonne, Wenty: Thanks image Determined to do it this year. Keep bribing myself with advent chocolate to get out of bed and moving at the moment with the cold weather. It's working so far.

Banksy: Welcome. *waves* This thread is really supportive, you'll find lots of advice and help here when you need it and some friendly faces when you don't. I know I did.

Toby: Dad, we are never going to beat your time from last year so just relax and enjoy the running. image

• Options

Snowmaiden - WOW WOW WOW!! Congrats on all you have achieved so far I am sure you will go on to beat your target for the marathon this year.

Start of the real training plan has been delayed until Monday for me as life got a little crazy these last two weeks and we haven't had time to do anything but I cant wait to get onto the proper plan from Monday and to start the diet I need to lose a couple of stone. This week I am just grabbing runs where I can. 5 miles in just under an hour yesterday. Snowmaiden how did you lose your weight?

Found out last week that my best friend has cancer so this Marathon is for her and I have now taken a charity place.

• Options

Snowmaiden - congratulation on your weight loss. Don't forget your bra for the race mine will not fit you now image

Just back from a 4 mile run in 38:42

• Options
    Hi guys! I need a new garmin. Don't have much money so as cheap as poss but need it to accurately show the miles done and connect to the satelites quickly as morning runs are short on time. What do you suggest?