Options

Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options
    Zoe Windsor wrote (see)

I went round the roads which were signed because of the tide, I see some people have moaned on the review section because of the water, surely they could also have gone the road route? 

My garmin said 26:64 miles

Zoe, my Garmin result of 26:59 is similar to yours having followed a detour.

As others have said the little yellow signs were easy to miss so wasn't sure whether I was on track or not. I just followed those in front of me! We rejoined the esplanade at the 25 mile marker, which halved the headwind along the front, but we had our share of wind along the shop fronts.

Glad to have missed wading through the first (last) beach on the return, as I lost my shoe to the mud going through there the first time. Surprisingly that little set-back allowed me to forget trying to keep my feet dry and get on with the business of covering the miles.

PB set at 4:26, which given the little extra distance means I was bang on my goal pace of 10min/miles. 

Seems I should be looking for a sub 4 next May in Edinburgh.

• Options

@Little Miss - no I did not join RW to sound off - I have been a member for about 6 months or so - I post reviews on events but rarely on the forum.

No I doubt it was deliberate, but on the other hand picking up  a knee ligament injury is, I am sure you will agree, a very frustrating thing when it could so easily have been avoided. So yes I will recover and yes I will get over it but on the other hand it's a lousy end to this year's running, especially on an event that meant a lot to me.

• Options

I do understand your frustration Robert, I'm very bad when not able to run myself, hope the rehab doesn't take as long as you think it will.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

I'm eyeing up the Steyning Stinger in March, and have dreamsabout the round the Isle of Wight 2 day ultra in the summer). Would be my first and quite possibly my last ultra..... But I don't dare sign up yet.

Have a great XMas everybody - hope you can pull yourself away to get a couple of runs in.....

• Options

Can I ask if anyone else felt sick after? I did not each much Sunday, yesterday had, egg, bread, mine pie, bagel and just finished a night shift where I had a handful of nuts and 4 chewy sweets! Just had a toasted bagel for breakfast, 

anyone else gone off food? 

• Options

I was quite annoyed that they start the race just over 1 minute before 9am. As a result of this I missed the start which made it a nightmare to catch up with the front runners when I did get in to the lead I went the wrong way and needed to do up my shoelace.I feel the race route was not clear enough had to keep stopping to work out which way to go and went the wrong way 3 times. Not very happy for the amount of runners I feel it should have been a little better organised, you need signs or marshalls at every turning point or every option where a path leads in to 2. Course was also a little bit dangerous due to the rain I just managed to avoid falling a dozen times. Otherwise was quite a nice course.

• Options

Thats a real shame Richard, and you must be really dissapointed coming in 5th with 3 of you within seconds!!! Top 3 would have been nice for you.

What is your PB for marathon distance (interested to see how much slower this marathon is compared to a fast flat one)

• Options

I lost my appetite on Sunday Zoe, went out for a curry and ended up having about 2 spoonfuls of it. Still in the box in the fridge! That has never happened before. Made up for it yesterday, but seemed to be only wanting sweet stuff. Good luck with your 2014 races, I suspect our paths will cross many times looking at your list of races!

• Options

Dutch Francis, be warned, when you sigh up and complete and an ultra you WILL be hookedimage

And the isle of wight may be on my hit list for next year. At least the weather SHOULD be better in June!!

• Options

Hi Wenty

That is my pb for marathon distance I have not done a fast flat one yet. I did get the competition standard for the london marathon recently running 74.33 for half marathon. However would be hard to judge my time as I feel I had such a bad run.

I find the best way to compare is normally to look at severall athletes who finished close to you that run for clubs then look at there power of 10 records and have a look at there recent performances. http://www.thepowerof10.info/ 

hope that helps

• Options

Well, I managed 4:14:40 which is 21 minutes slower than my road marathon PB (although that one wasn't entirely flat!) so I don't think that was too shabby even though I was a little bit disappointed on the day.

I was annoyed about the start too.  It was chaotic and while I was queuing for the baggage I was surprised the race was off early and while there were so many runners still inside.  The communication could have been improved I felt.  I did get caught behind slower runners on the narrow sections so I decided to enjoy it as a day out rather than get stressed about racing for a time.  I did have a comedy moment with a 6 foot bloke skipping in front of me to avoid a puddle which I ran through.  He didn't seem happy I splashed him.  I wonder if he got round with dry trainers? image

I think I must have been one of the last few through the high tide, which was interesting!  Quite funny really, although having trainers full of grit for the last two miles wasn't much fun, but it did take my mind off the wind to some extent.

I did enjoy the race and the atmosphere was very friendly so I might be back next year.  My legs are still complaining but I did manage a gentle 4 miles today which has helped loosen me up a bit.  Yesterday I was wincing a lot!!

Zoe, I always lose my appetite after running a marathon and don't normally eat much after or the next day.  Today the munchies hit, just in time for Christmas image

I have a trail 18 mile race in January to look forward to, then the Grizzly and then another marathon.  Happy Christmas everyone image

• Options

Hi Paul,

I was a couple of minutes behind you, and too felt I'd taken a wrong turn having followed the detour instructions. I ended up blindly following those in front of me and hoping we'd find the prom eventually

Not sure I'll be signing up for this again, but that's because of the timing and location rather than the course or organisation..

• Options

Thank you all including runners, organizers, staff, and people along the course image

It was my 9th marathon and my toughest one (more than hilly Athens Classic.)
    The first half was relatively fine as the wind was not against.
    But in the latter half, the path got muddier and slipperier after many runners ran. I slipped several times when I tried to speed up. Maybe I had to adjust my running form. And I fell over twice. Plus strong wind in the last 2 miles, I was knackered.
    I'd like to say thank a runner who passed me and kicked my butt in the last mile. I spurted and improved my time a bit.
    Finished at 3:13, 14-min worse than my PB in Berlin this year. My training level didn't change so much. Hope this will be a reference.

I wish there had been a marshal or a clear direction at the diversion at the seaside back to the street around 24 mile point.
    (I was lucky enough to follow some runners to take a right path to the prom.)

Anyway I enjoyed a precious experience in the tough but scenic course. Next I'll run Rome, and maybe a few 10K and HM before Rome.
    Merry Christmas and happy new year! image

• Options

Hiroto-o, do you have a Garmin or gps track you could share? If so, what was your final mileage?

I'd like to understand where I went wrong with the detour, and whether all detourees covered an additional 0.4 miles!

• Options

Hi Twisted Sole, sure here is the link
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/418664786
    To my surprise, my gps distance was almost exact (26.21 mi). Hope it help you.

• Options

TS - I didn't run a detour and my Garmin made it 26.32.

• Options

Interesting to hear comparisons between this marathon and others. I've signed up for the Heartbreaker on 23rd Feb in New Forest - looks like a different type of test and reviews are good. Anyone else doing the same? Then it will hopefully be White Peak in May, Abingdon in October, and Portsmouth again in December. Hooked on marathons at the moment - Hope to post a time somewhere along the way!

• Options

White Peak is net downhill but you really need to practise your downhill running as some of the inclines in the last six miles are brutal. Abingdon can usually be relied upon to be fast but not the most supported or scenic.

• Options

The course even in those conditions wouldn't be much more than 5 mins slower than a flat road marathon. I am rubbish off rd but fully expected to break 3 there if it wasn't for the injury. Did 3.01 there a couple years ago and I was about 2.55-56 fit at that time. 

Richard, with a sub 75 half, if your in that shape and the marathon is for you I'd say u could go sub 2.40 maybe closer to 2.35 on a good day image

• Options

Yes Muzza most rac calcs put Richards marathon time at 2:37-2:38 - Thats serious stuff!!!!! image

I think the marathon is for him with coming in 5th, after missing the start and going trhe wrong way and  having to do his shoe lace up! image

Perhaps this is where i go wrong as i dont do any of these things!  image

• Options

Signed up for a new one in February now, http://www.longmanultra.com/falmer/ found out about it recently and felt it fitted quite well with my training plans for the SDW 50 in April so should be a nice 29 miles in the middle of winter :/

Also I am looking at the Steyning stinger as I have only heard good things about it. Unfortunately things like Christmas mean my sign up date for this will be in the new year with new year paychecks.

• Options

Been for a 4 mile run, felt ok. 

Anyone done the southdowns marathon relay?

• Options

Just popped on here to say well done all of you....better late than never ! I have done all previous 3 Portsmouths but couldn't take part this year...I did however put on my Mrs Claus costume and come to cheer at some pals at mile 8 and anyone else who looked like they needed a "Well done!".......was very worthwhile as I got lots of smiles from lots of you.  image

• Options

Zoe - I've done the Southdowns marathon relay. Usually do the marathon but last year (2013) did it as a team. Brilliant event and so much fun...either the full or as a team. image

• Options

Anyone doing this this year? I've just signed up image

• Options

Yup, looks like an earlier start this year. Let's hope the wind isn't up!

• Options
    A few of us. There is a 2014 thread on here though possibly a few pages back now...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/portsmouth-coastal-2014/278490.html