Options

Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Options

Ah Cheers Roger - dont forget 26 miles is quite a long way!

Looks like i will see you there then - thanks for the encouragment (foolish or not)!

• Options

Just been reading your posts. This is a great run and I've done the last 3. Am having to give it a swerve this year for reasons I won't bore you with. I am however, hoping to go along to cheer as know quite a few folk doing it.

Been interested with the chat about hydration packs. You won't need them for water that's for sure, clearly if you are using them for clothing changes etc etc and if you are not bothered by the carrying of them, then fine.

There was rum on offer at a station last year....very VERY clear to see due to it's colour and the marshalls told you what it was....so....any quaffing of it in error is not likely to happen and anyone who does, well, clearly the running brain jiggles have got to them.

Road shoes for sure. Part of the track can be muddy with puddles, but easy enough to skirt around. One part of the path alongside Langstone Harbour is very narrow and will be squidgy this Sunday. There is a sea wall next to it which I and lots of others, ran along in previous years. Just watch your balance obviously.

The Billy Line can also be very puddly and muddy but the puddles are shallow, so, if you don't want to risk a groin strain skirting along the side of them, then I'd say just go straight through.

The beach part had some vile smelling mud oozing along it last year so watch out for stuff like that. The beach is also made up of very squidgy mud as well, so again, watch your footing.

As you head down past a sailing club, you run abit over wooden planking and over a wooden bridge - if it is icy, watch out there, but there were marshalls there last year to alert you.

There was a bag drop.

There is loads of parking nearby and one car park right next to it. I didn't have enough cash the first year I was there and put in what I had - I was about an hour short. Stuck a note in my car to any jobsworth wardens just to say what I was doing and no ticket.

There are loos at the centre but just along the prom abit - heading East, is a public loo block. I never had to queue too long at the centre though. If you are really caught short, as you get to the end of the prom on the out and again on the back, there is a very clearly marked public loo block - lots of runners dart in there. You also run past a big old pub on the side of the harbour where there is a water station (Mile 4 I think) - you can dart in there to use the facilities. There was also a portaloo at the swtch around. Also as you go over the road bruidge to Hayling Island, there is an Esso garage on the left hand side which has loos. I sound like the Loo Queen now !!

There are a couple of squeeze points as you get down onto first beach bit so if you are Mr/Ms Speedy, just be aware that you could get caught up.

It is a great event and as it is by the sea, you can pretty much guarantee you'll get wind blowing at one way or the other.....usually as you are slogging your guts out on the long trek back along the prom....but hey, at that point you are nearly home.   Good luck everyone and ENJOY !! image

• Options

Wenty, I was doing the race with two lady club runners, and when my calf pulled, they ran on ahead. I started off again and caught them up. However, after passing the mile marker, I couldn't keep up with them, as I had resorted to limping, jogging. When I got to 5 miles, I made up my mind that I would ignore the pain and try to catch them. I didn't see them again until I reached 9 miles, and saw them in the distance. I gritted my teeth and upped my pace still further. I overtook one about 200 metres from the finish, and ended up two strides behind the other. A few more metres and I would have overtaken her. I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did, as it could have done serious damage.

Ph, thanks for your very detailed description of the route, and things to look out for.

I have received an e mail from Rob in response to my query about baggage storage, and he confirmed there was a bag drop in the glass house in the registration area, and to ensure my name was on my bag.

• Options

Possom hopper

Thank you for the very thoughtful write-up, hope you'll be fit for next year.

• Options

So she beat you Terence!!!! image

• Options

I'm afraid so. Luckily she was driving as I could hardly walk after the race. I had an ice spray with me, as my calf had pulled several weeks earlier, and I was afraid it might go again. I'm afraid it did no good, and we had to walk down some stairs from the changing area. I had to walk down sideways, holding tightly to the rail. Thankfully, the calf amazingly recovered very quickly, and I was running again within a week. Fingers crossed, it has caused me no problems this year, so just hoping that it doesn't let me down on Sunday.

• Options

Wenty, I would be very dubious of running a marathon with a torn muscle. I ran a marathon with a sore hamstring which I later discovered was a tear. I ended up with a chronic and acute injury which kept me out for a year and I still get some niggles 3 years later ! Best to get a proper diagnosis.

• Options
    Well I was running this with a friend but she broke her ankle yesterday while we were running over the heath, and I heard it snap! Urggh, so now the poor dear is in plaster and I will be having to gee myself along! image
  • Options

Ouch - your poor friend MM. I'm sure you'll get lots of support - the benefit of an out and back course.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Thanks LMH, I can try for a few high fives from those coming back the other way!, image
  • Options

Nick - I know you are right, but we all try to kid ourselves dont we...image

My chances of running this marathon now are slim (10% maybe) short of a miricle recovery. The only good point is that i entered the Portsmouth marathon to keep my base level up for Barcelona London and Brighton marathons next spring. So at least i have a good base going into next year.

Terrance - sounds like you were lucky (or superman).

Maxs Mum - that makes me feel better - it could have been worse i guess!

If i come along and support can I still have the rum and mince pies?

• Options
    You can have my mince pies, as I doubt I will be able to eat them during!,
  • Options

He can have one of my jelly babies I will have in my pocket - and that's all!

• Options

and mine as I doubt they'll be gf image

• Options

Wenty, I was just lucky, I'm certainly no superman. I have been running and racing for over 30 years now, so I suppose I have built up a certain toughness. Don't feel too bad about it if you don't run, as you have others to concentrate on.

Doing my final speed session this evening, which is pyramids on grass. 

• Options

Thanks for comments on clothing...has anyone got the race on google maps or similar? Thanks!

• Options

have marked it out as a course on Garmin if that helps

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5149903

• Options

It's pretty straightforward from what I can see - start at the big pyramid on Southsea sea front, keep the sea to your right until you reach the end of the Billy Trail, 180C turn and keep the sea to your left on the way back image

• Options

One wrong turning then and we could be auditioning for Tom Daly's new series.

• Options
    please be careful of that gate we have to go through.its really one at a time.last year on the way back i went through and someone behind me pulled the gate back so he could get in but i wasnt all the way through and the metal gate hit my leg cutting it and put me on the floor in the mud.didnt need that at that late stage in the race.

theres a photo of the gate on the website.videos of the route section.

i did the english thing of getting up smiling and saying "that ok no problem"lol
  • Options

Hi Folks,

it's getting there! I haven't run for a week but the niggle is basically gone. I'm a bit worried now about having a little go to see it deteriorate. Might just rest it until the day and then just go for it. 

I'd say road shoes all the way, whatever the weather. There are plenty of asphalt bits and the mud and puddles will never be knee deep.

Stay healthy people!

• Options

I did 5 yesterday and that's it! Saving myself for Sunday, 4 more sleeps! 

• Options

Looking like it could be a windy one!

• Options

Has anyone seen the video clip from the 2013 Portsmouth Coastal Half Marathon on you tube? I think it's tagged swamp pit. Runners are seen losing their shoes in mud on the edge of the beach. It looks like bloody quicksand. Please tell me this is not part of the same route we are doing.

• Options
    Think it might be Roger!
  • Options

From viewing the online route videos posted on fitprorob.biz website, the 'swamp pit' is at about the 2 and quarter mile mark.

It's about 25 minutes in on the second video.

Hopefully it'll be firmer on Sunday!

• Options

Saturday is looking wet, but Sunday is looking OK so far! not too cold either.
    might be windy though.

• Options

Looking forward to a headwind as we return along the esplanade!

Deep joy image

• Options

Well it is the wind that is worrying me more than anything. Seems it should be dry. Any ideas as yet as to the head wind and how strong it is? Fingers crossed.

• Options

It is blustery on the South coast today....

Oh dear..... I was staring to fancy myself for a fast-ish time but not so sure now....