Options

HADD Training Method

Comments

• Options

Jumps in and says helloimage

Without realising it I have been following Hadd principles for around 3-4 months so hoping I can learn more.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Hi Wp! Do you run with that sword!imageimage

Well I did manage a couple of runs at the weekend after all ... so 25 miles this week. Also bagged yet another bike commute PB this morning, averaging (19.5 mph, including traffic light stops etc).

• Options

Hi all, just drop in to let you know am still about ,no HADDing since marathon at the end of May, plan to start back Hadding Christmas time

• Options

Dr Dan, Nope I leave it at home...do you run with the guitar?image

30 miles last week as ill at weekend but 6 todayimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageOf course I do ... less convenient than an iPOD but much more fun.image

Sounds like you've recovered.

7.5M straight after my 5.7 mi bike commute this morning ... longest run since 3rd Feb (when I did my foot inimage).

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Spen good luck on the procedure Thursday

Chick I presume Bremen is flat and fast?

DD well done on the biking and good to hear you can get some runs in now

acp that is good news ! image

VT hope you got some runs in while visiting the family

WP welcomeimage

Moks hope you're ok

---

Well last week was a bit of a meh week - only 38m with no subLT and no long run - too hot here.  I did plan to get the LR done yesterday, but one look at the deluge before me quickly convinced me to do a 3m recovery jog insteadimage

15.5m done this morning with some annoying drift, unexpected as it was relatively cool and a flat course...image

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

DD, a PB is a PB! Nice ones on the wheels. And relieved to hear the PF is in the rearview. Onward and upward for you.

WH, welcome!

Spen, good luck on the procedure. Good thoughts headed your way.

Tek, you'll be supercharged for this week now.

Hello Roy and ACP.

Back from my trip. Managed 75 miles last week, including 2 subLT (a 10M and a 12M) and a P&D style fast finish 21M LR. Had fall weather during my whole trip (was soooo nice). BTW DD, I do live in Vermont, so not far away.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tek - just call it an official cut-back week.image

VT - well done on getting in the miles (and quality!) despite the trip. My geography of the US has slightly improved.

I've been quite tired this week since Monday's hard cycling but things have been ticking along okay (just slow). I had a moment of madness yesterday and pressed the button on an Olympic distance triathlon in June 2016 when  the world's elites descend on Leeds for one of the world series events (usually in London's Hyde Park but moved next year while they build a big cycle path through Hyde Park). There's a parallel amateurs event running in the morning and, as I turn 50 that week, I thought it would make a good memory. The 1500m open water swim is already giving me bad nervesimage. It probably means I'll ditch plans for a spring marathon though ... but we'll see.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

DD, nice one! I like the sounds of that event just fine. Plus you'll be doing a whole new mix of training. I think it will be great for you to continue swimming/biking. Should be a great way to prep for an autumn marathon...

• Options

Dan: That sounds like an amazing way to see your half centuary No taking the guitar into the swim with you.imageI admire those who can do Triathlon's I only run nothing else .

VT:Excellent week's training and whilst away as well!!

first run since Monday as had a bug slow and steady 6 miles

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Dan - well done on entering the Olympic distance triathlon. I aim to progress to a sprint distance next year as I think a 1500m open water swim would still be a bit beyond me. I have this crazy idea of trying to qualify for the GB age group team in 2021 when I will be in the 50 yr age group!! I think I have enough time to prepare...!image 

I took a nasty fall on a training run on Monday which may stop me from racing the 10k this weekend. Badly grazed hand, bruised ribs, knee and hip and a smashed Garmin screen!image It hurts to breathe deeply which doesn't bode well for racing....!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

acp ouch!!image ... hope you heal in time.

• Options

ACP

That sounds awful......Hope you are are to feel a little better?

Garmin....can fix problems 

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

21:40 at todays 5K parkrun ... 36 s improvement over 2 weeks ago and happy to duck under 7 min/mile, given this month's mileage has only been 20 mpw and last month's even less.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

VT fantastic last week - 2 subLTs, a 21 miler and 75m in total !  Well doneimage

WP nice run, hope the bug is goneimage

acp eek ! ouch!  Hope you're not so sore nowimage

DD nice Parkrunningimage

---

Still struggling a little here mojo-wise, but with only 8 weeks to go until Frankfurt I need to sort myself out. 

57m this week, one LSR (16m), one subLT (stopped after 7.5m as drift had crept in, pace at 83% was 7:39 average) then a MLR today with 5 lots of (2m MP, 1m easy) - I didn't look at the HRM for the "MP" bits, just tried to hit something around 7:4x .  Worked out fineimage

• Options

Update on procedure.   Spent four hours in the theatre  (or lab as they call it)   seems it i had extra pathways on both left and right.    He is convinced about that the left side is sorted but he is unsure about the right side as the source kept moving.    At the moment i get some flutters in the morning which are either the heart getting back into rythm or the right side needs finishing.

Only timewill tell....

• Options

Thinking of you spen  wish you all the best

• Options
    (((Spen))) hope you make a speedy recovery from the ablation thingie.

As far as I know countdown is only available in German... But it's not really that far off HADD'S principles.

acp: ouch!!! An excuse to get a new Garmin though image

Hi poppy image

Nice comeback parkrunning Dr. D and good mileage VT abd Tek.

Tek: Bremen is ok. Not as fast as Hamburg as you run up and down the river banks a couple of times and bits of the course are on cobbles but all in all a good course.

Today is my last day of a lovely action packed holiday in the Alps with lots of hiking, some climbing and a bit of mountain biking. We had a wonderful time and I even managed a run almost every day. Also ran a local half marathon on the 29th when it was 34 degrees!! The race starts at 3:30pm and I had toyed with the idea of binning it but then thought wtf, just get on with it. I ran as slowly as possible, 9 minute miling my way to 12th lady out of 139. Walked the hills and the aid stations. Well organised event with plenty of drinks stations, a beautiful if challenging hilly offroad course and friendly marshals.

And a towel for every participant image

Now packing up and ready to go home just as the weather is taking a turn for the worse with rain setting in and temperatures dropping. Hope that my pre holiday marathon fitness hasn't disappeared... Will find out on my planned 22 miler on Sunday. It will be strange to run a) on tarmac and b) on the flat again image
  • Options

Hello all 

I have previously been interested in using this method for my training.

With the birth of my son last November my running took a back seat but with things settling down more and more, I am more confident to get back into training.

so i am now committee to using this method for the next few weeks.

This week, I had my first 30mi week and I'm already seeing improvements towards my previous base. Although the pace can be sometimes slow, it's readable fast given my time out. I'll try and pop back and share progress. As I don't have any races booked, the aim is to build a strong base so that I can work on speed next year. 

My ultimate goal would be to run a sub 20 5k consistently. 

• Options

Spen...Hope you are okay?

Hi Chickimage

Well last week managed 24 miles after the week off with a virus so should be back over 30 this week I have 2 races .

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Somehow RW decided to remove this thread from my Favourites...image

Spen I hope the docs get to the bottom of it all quickly...

Chick I bet you flew round that 22m long run after all those hills!

thesasgeek welcome

WP good comeback mileage

---

Another meh week - only 51m, no proper subLT but I did do another longish run with 5 x (2m "MP", 1m easy) which went well again.  7 weeks to go, and I really need to up my game...beats per mile dropping nicely, however, to end on a positive noteimage

• Options

Thanks everyone.   Heart is ok.   Feels amazing not have hours of tachycardia. 

Next stop is getting  my toe sorted...

• Options

Time for me to de-lurk...having read through this and the old Hadd thread over the last couple of months...it's great to see the progress people have made on here...

Well, this is my second time back to Hadd. I first read the Hadd doc back in 2003/4 (when I had plenty of time on my hands at uni and wanted to get back in shape)...plenty of time but very little patience resulted in me being unable to run so slowly and that was the end of my first Hadd experience. However, something about the principles and the analogies "clicked"', so here I am again...11 years and 2.5 stone later!

Coming from a base of little to no running over the last few years (but a history of being a competitive junior athlete...sub-4:30 1500m, sub-5 min mile, sub-17 5k etc...a number of years ago with the intervening years being far too lazy), I've started to build my mileage fairly steadily over the last couple of months and averaging in the region of 25-40km per week of (mostly) Hadd-esque easy running. I have the Birmingham half marathon coming up in about 5 weeks (conservative target of 2:10, hopeful of a sub 2 hour), after which my focus is on building a solid base (and losing some more weight) over winter then turning my attention to shorter races (5k/10k).

Used a Parkrun to see where my fitness is at last week and managed 23:53. Hit 181bpm in the 5k but have also seen 185bpm earlier in the year, so I've been using 190 max as a guide...I figure it won't get me a million miles from the effort needed, and having been working at some 11-12 min (and more) miles and having to walk at the sight of an incline when I first started, I can now stay under 75% at around my 5k+3 pace (10:40ish). Plan is to stick to sub-75% for the next 3 weeks, then 2 week taper for HM, 1 week reverse taper, then building to a consistent volume of around 50km per week across 5 runs and once pace/HR is solid at sub 75% then add some 80-83%  work sessions.

• Options

Just enjoy Birmingham half, following the HADD takes time, a lot more than 5 weeks .

Do you really need 2 weeks taper for a half marathon ?

23.53 for a PR, 2 hours well feasible !  wish you all the best

• Options
    Hi all, just a Mad Hadder popping in to reply to mattobo.

Mattobo, 5k pace plus 3 is a great place to b working from. Loads of progress to be made for you and all without having to go mad on speed work.

I started out at about the same region as you and am now in the region of 5k plus 100 seconds at 75%. That is despite my 5k getting a fair bit faster too. In total I have shaved over 2 mins off my original 75% pace. It does work but you just need to keep all easy running EASY.

Good luck.
  • Options

Thanks Mokshaeight - completely understand this is a long-term approach. I have also been thinking about how long is needed for HM taper...I'd feel better for getting an extra full week in beforehand and maybe just reduce the length of the long run in that week, with a one week taper.

VDOT51 - thanks for the reply...it's great to see such progress can be made without speedwork. How long have you been applying Hadd to see those benefits?

I understand that the Hadd doc (when applying to Joe) looks at 50 miles per week as being the minimum before starting with the 80% tempos, but presumably these can be started once you've got a good background of consistent mileage? I won't be doing any marathons just yet as I want to work on my aerobic base and then 5k/10k speed, so realistically will be building to a consistent 30-35 miles per week (and trying to avoid injury), but presumably will be able to build in some 80% runs over winter.

Have run every day over the last 5 days whilst on holiday (mostly easy running), so thought I'd take a rest day today. Planning on 60 mins of 70-75% in the morning.

• Options

Spen good luck with the toe

Mattobo welcome, I agree with Moks and Vdot - I don't think you need much of a taper particularly if your runs are all easy

Fast running out of time to get myself in shape for Frankfurt - 59m last week, going well until Sunday where I had a spectacularly awful long run: Was meant to be 4m easy, 13.1m @ MP, 3m c/down.  Well, the warm-up went fine...then the HR blew up about 6m into the Half and by the end I was struggling to finish.  Not sure what went wrong image

• Options
    Mattobo, I started about 2 years ago with a walk run program due to coming back from injury. Took a year to get up to 30 mpw. I then started with some 80% runs.

Nowadays I do hadding for base work and add in a few strides after shorter runs.

When s race is imminent I tend to train using a plan but I also keep all easy runs below 75% and mist of them are actually around 70- 72% (136-140) as my 75% pace is faster than any paced calculator gives based on my 5k and 10k times.

Still 62s a mile improvement over a year is not bad going for me. The eArlier gains are easier to come by. Eventually the law of diminishing returns kicks in but I guess there is probably 5 good years before that factors in for most of us mortals.
  • Options

Thanks Teknik - appreciate the advice, will monitor how the body feels but would prefer one week to taper.

VDOT - that definitely sounds like some good improvement to me, and I like the idea of building to a consistent 30 miles before starting 80% runs.

I've now been running consistently 4-5 times per week since the start of July (which is the most consistent I've been in a number years), and the majority has been easy running. In the first few weeks I was jogging (barely) at between 8 and 9 min/km (before I learned of 5k+3 min mile pace) and having to walk portions to keep HR under 145bpm (76%).

This morning I did 10.5km at 7:04/km pace at 131bpm (69%) average (and not even hitting 145 on hills), so already seeing the benefits. However, I understand your point re: early gains, especially as it is hard to know if it is the Hadd approach, the consistency, or weight loss...I suspect all three, but I love the way I don't finish each run completely wiped out and sore for days with this approach so I'll be sticking with it.

• Options

eee up Hadders new and old.image

I lost my £10 bet with my son in the Sprint Triathlon ... but it would have been pretty close had I not got lost on the run and blown away an estimated 2:15 minutes (due to a right turn arrow being blown over by the wind ... I went back to run the extra later to see how much I'd lost!).

Swim (400m): Dad 8:25 - Son 7:30
    Bike (12.5 mi): Dad 18.33 mph - Son 18:03 mph
    Run (3.3-3.6 mi) Dad 7:09/m - Son 7:07/m ... only I ran an extra 0.3! image

I think he'd have pipped me anyway based on the swim and faster T2 ... but it would have been good to have got within 30-40 s of him. The really sobering part of the stats was that, although (run diversion aside) I could have maybe come within 30-40 s of him, since June I've been on 27 swims, 38 runs and 116 bike rides ... meanwhile he has not been swimming, done 4 runs and 1 bike ride. Old age eh! image

Now I need to become a runner again...