Options

HADD Training Method

Comments

• Options
    *bump*

Annoying when those youngsters beat you on little to no training image

Bremen marathon for me tomorrow. Wish me luck. I need itimage

Plan is to take a week off after the race and then start HADDing again for a spring campaign.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Good luck Chick !!!!  image

Well done on the Tri DD - see how he gets on with an Ironman?image

• Options

Chick the very best of luck!!!!image

Yes I am the same race tomorrow then HADDing  till my goal race in March

Dan: pesky young ones!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hola, here's my short race report image

Very apprehensive as this was my first marathon since being diagnosed with a minor heart problem... I managed a decent base until May but then a nasty virus threw me back to where I was at the.beginning of the year. Only in the last couple of training weeks my pace got back to where I'd seen it in May. So a PB was never on the cards. A sub 3:30 would have.been sweet but nigh on impossible given the patchy training. Perfect weather. Slightly overcast. Gentle breeze. 12 degrees at the start; 14 at the finish.

Tagged on to the 3:30 pacer at the start but he went off into the distance and I switched to running by heart rate. 80% of max was my limit for the first half.

Went thru half in about 1:43 but as I got to 25k my HR got to 84% and I had to bottle it. Bit of a shame but it's what the cardiologist told me and I think I'd better listen. So a slower second half as I had expected but now I feel quite fresh image

The beauty of not going flat out I guess.

I'm so happy I can still run marathons at a reasonable pace without having to worry I might keel over.

Official time on the website is 3:33:02 (which included a brief stop to hug Mr. Chick and pick up a water bottle from him). 3rd in age cat (W45) and 17th woman overall.

Had a burger, chips and a couple of beers. Not a bad day in the office image

Back in HADD land now.
  • Options

DD, nice work on the tri! Don't let that sobering reminder of youth vs aged get you down.image You did well and I bet you're excited to get back to the running. Hope the dreaded PF stays away.

Chick, congrats on a great comeback marathon! You did terrific and placed high. Excluding nasty viruses you should be primed to do well next spring/fall. You are in a good place again!

I just finished the first of my 3 wks of taper. I'm doing the same marathon again and like last year did the same 10K again this past weekend. Last year I finished in 40:35, but was happy with 39:45 this year. Some tough hills in this one but interestingly in the final (flat to downhillish) mile had lots of energy but no extra gear. Guess that's the product of running no faster than I do in 10 mile subLTs all year. Anyway, have dealt with a strain of my lower abdominals that has been tricky but managed to keep my volume and quality in (just barely). It's healing though with the reduced mileage already so hopefully will get around without any major mishaps. Also just removed my toe nail on my big toe (image) and survived a 2 wk cold from hell. It's never easy to make it to the start line of these marathons!

Anyway, happy HADDing folks and I'll drop back to report after the race.

• Options

Hey HADDers, it's been a while.

Chick,
    Well done on the marathon!

VT, hope the race went well.

Just a quick visit to say I got back to the 5k + 3 min pace thing after the 10ks and it eventually worked. Finally down to 75% HR for easy runs. Only took me 12 months.

So I'm now shooting for a half marathon in the new year.

• Options

Started HADDing this week with 3 easy runs at 72% of max!! Didn't know about the 5k pace + 3min/mile though as that is a lot faster than my 72% speed at the moment!!

Thinking I'll stick with 72% for about 3 weeks to see if pace improves, if not I'll go with 5k+3 min/mile.

• Options

Hi peeps

just started the HADD training. I'm running around 35-45 miles a week. The speed I'm using is the 5k + 3 minutes but my question is, can I also do a faster run at say 10k speed twice a week or does it have to be all the same pace. Also can I still do weight training or HIIT training.

I'm still trying to lose weight and am carrying 2 stone too much.... I've lost over 120lbs so far (no not a typo. Over 120lbs...I ate all the pies) so my speed isn't that great hence using the 5k + 3 minutes speed until my HR catches up with me....

I've a half marathon beginning February, a half marathon mid March (these are just to see how my training is going) and my first full marathon in May (Milton Keynes)

Thanks in advance

Gary

• Options

Hi Gary, I'm no expert but HADD suggests all easy running initially in the HADD document, and then incorporating sub-LT runs once the HR comes down. Anyway the point of it is to run at an easy pace so you can do a relatively high mileage to build up your aerobic base.

I don't think HADD says anything about weights or cross training, I would just include them if you see fit. I like to incorporate weights personally as my feeling is it complements higher mileage.

Nice one on the weight loss, very impressive!

• Options

Long time since I've posted here!

I have strayed off Haad a little over the last couple of months while trying to improve my 5k times but apart from one interval session a week all my other runs have been done to HR. When I started using HR I struggled to run 10:30m/m pace and now my easy running pace is coming out at 9:50m/m(approx 72% maxHR). I am very happy with that so thank you to you guys for helping me out at the start!image

I have a couple of 10k's coming up then I'll be doing more easy running and trying to get down to an easy running pace of 9:30m/m.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Hi, im looking for some help. I have been failing lately on races by chucking it even before the going gets tough. I would like to now try another approach by using a hr. for base training over the coming months, below are my times etc. During half marathon training I did LT at 7.15m/m and avg about 30mls a week.

10km 43.16 2015  43.45 during marathon training 2016

10mile 73.02 2016

1/2 marathon 1.38.58 2015

I have recently came back from injury during training for marathon in May16. I would appreciate any advice on starting on hr. Usual weekly runs Mon easy miles approx. 6, Wed  between 6-10mls, Thurs club run & Sat LSR 10-13mls

I did a park run to get my MHR 184 and my resting is 60bpm

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Hi kevin70 ...This thread has died ... yours is the first post of the year.... but as a start,  take a look at the links in the first post.image

• Options

It might have died Dr.Dan but I have just started back ( last week ) on HADD training.

By the way Kevin your 10 mile and half mara times are the same as mine.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Mokshaeight, would it be possible to tell me what you are doing in training as I am just about to start easy runs from the beginning. I did 6mls last night 10.00 m/m hr 144 bit of a slog.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

kevin - if you want to start Hadd then you need to be running around 70% MHR, which for you would be running at 129 bpm.   If you didn't nearly throw up when you did your MHR recording then you could add another 5bpm, so say 188 MHR.   Your initial training would then be done at 132 bpm.  You might find it hard to slow to that initially but it will certainly be worth it.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kevin - sorry to slightly disagree with Shades but the Hadd doc starts you off at "75%maxHR or lower". 

I agree your real max is probably 5 higher than your parkrun sprint finish. 189 x 75% = 142.  In the early weeks this will be incredibly slow and you will lose form, and in one of the other links posted at the start of this thread, Hadd said don't go slower than your 5k pace + 3mm.  So say your 5k pace is 6:45, don't bother going any slower than 9:45mm.

You need to get out as often as possible and just jog slowly - once you've had a few weeks of 40 - 50 mpw you'll find your HR drops like a stone.  Then start focusing on running sub75% maxHR...and after that throw in some recovery jogs at sub70% max.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Thanks all for your comments really appreciated, I will set out over the coming weeks at 9.45mm and see what the hr reads. Wee bit unsure how this will go but will give it a go. Will hopefully be back in a month for more advice..image

• Options

Hi, if this thread is being revived then can I join in please?  Been Hadding since April after several injuries and siezing the opportunity to taking time to build up carefully and seeing good results so far.  My 70% pace has dropped from around 11.30 pace and now at 10.22, last 2 weeks starting to add 80% runs which are 9.33.  Not seen much improvement in pace at 85% and 90% on last 2400 test though but this time around was so much more comfortable at that intensity (8.47 and 8.23)  Be good if others are still following this.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I've been mixing my training up for quite a while now, so haven't been Hadding ... hence the absence from here.

• Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Is everyone still around? It's been deathly quiet on this thread... Pity really, as I've been Hadding since about August, when I came across this thread. But it's taken me until now to read through it all!

A quick history then, if anyone's interested. Started Hadding, as I said, in August at ~40mpw, but with no HRM yet, started with 5k+3 minutes, which was very slow. Bought a wrist-based HRM (Garmin 235) in October, did a max test - subsequently discovered new maxes, so I'm taking it as 192. Which told me that 5k+3 was at 65%.

Since then, I've been slowly raising the mileage and am currently at 48mpw. Almost all at 70% (~9m/m), with recovery runs at 65%. 3 weeks ago I introduced the subLT runs, with a 2 mile WU, 4x15 minutes @80% (fading a bit in the final 15), 2m WD. The next week, I had a 3x20mins planned, but in the end, not feeling strong enough, I repeated the 4x15, which went much better, faster and no fading. Last week there was a bad cold which put paid to all plans, so ended up with a 27-mile week, with no tempo. I'll be attempting the 3x20mins this week. We'll see how it goes...

So, who's still out there?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I'm still here and still Hadding.image

After my races for 2016 finished at the end of October I started on Hadd training again.   After 6 weeks my mileage was up to 63 mpw and I was able to run 10 miles at my base training HR with no cardiac drift.

Have now started 2 work sessions a week at 77-80% MHR and I too am finding them quite tough.

I've only done one Hadd test, and I was very pleased with the results as I still had a record of previous Hadd tests from previous years to compare it too.   Next one is due in 3 weeks. 

Just hoping this icy spell is short-lived as it's limiting my mileage a bit, hate running in this weather.

• Options
    I started Hadding in August after reading the whole thread and have now had PB's in all of my last four races.

I did roughly 12 weeks under 75% average, mainly at 70% Hr before doing one 80% run a week.

I have also added some quicker stuff to this one day a week now which has also shown improvement. I'm still very slow in comparison to most people though.

The weather has played a huge part in this imo, but I've taken nearly 3 mins per mile off my average pace since August, although much of that would be down to this thread.

The cherry on top is that I am only doing 30-35 miles per week so wil hopefully find more improvement when I step up again.

Two and a half years running and this is by far the longest period that I have gone without injury (eights months and counting).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Martyn - that's great results from your Hadd training, 4 race PB's just shows how the training suits you and works for you.

I'm not a fast runner either but like you still want to try and improve and run well in races.

Not doing traditional type speedwork certainly does help to stay injury free, I find I can run every day when doing Hadd, no need for a rest day and I'm fortunate that I have the time to run every day.

• Options
    Exactly that Shades!

Do you have any races coming up, or are you just building the base? As I recall, you normally do a couple of races per month?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I'm not keen on racing in the winter months, my first race is 5th March, a 20 miler.   I had a really bad run at the same race last year so am hoping that my Hadd training will make a difference this time.

How about you, when is your next race?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Martyn - stunningly good improvements! Well done.image

• Options
    Sounds like you maybe in the same race as me then Shades, is it Milton Keynes by any chance?

Thanks Dr Dan, are you over your injuries and back Hadding yet?
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I have been injury-free for over a year now but have been taking a different training approach. I have been cycling to/from work for over a year and consequently running lower mileage (30-35 mpw). Lower mileage means I need more intensity. Going well - PBs at 1 mile and marathon in 2016, my softer PBs, although still some way off my 5K/10K/HM times from 2011/12 (although I have managed some WAVA PBs, so am improving relative to increasing age).

Strategy is to continue on a "LCHF" diet (so running on low glycogen) with bike commuting 4 days, and 4 days/5 runs per week ... "session" (Tues),  run commute out/back double (Thurs), parkrun (Sat),  and long run (Sun). So about 35 miles with another 44 on the bike. "Sessions" at the moment are intervals based on a 10K schedule as I'm aiming for a 10K in early Feb. But after that they'll be sub-LT sessions as I build up to VLM in April..

• Options

I'm still around too although like Dr. D. not HADDing at the mo. Followed an intense training plan earlier this year that lead to a stress fracture. No running for 4 months image

Now building back up slooowly. I mix my training up with gym work (core and strength plus spin classes) and regular swims. Current mileage is around 30 which I'm happy with for the time being.

I need to run a reasonably fast 10k as part of the Vienna marathon relay in April hence I do some treadmill intervals and the odd tempo run. What used to be my marathon pace is tempo pace these days but hey, I'm an old bird and likely not going to run any PBs anyway image.

Just happy I can run again.

Martyn, that is an amazing improvement. Totally impressed image