Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Isn't the idea of any training plan to train at current fitness level rather than target time ?

Which would mean, for somebody with a current fitness ( based on a recent race time ) of a 4hr Marathon, that a 55M plan could get them maybe 3:50, a 70M plan say 3:45 and an 85M plan say 3:40.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok, got the book. It's all on p17. Goes on about extra mileage better but only to a point...in that different individuals can handle different amounts depending on circumstances, biomechanics etc etc. Also there are diminishing returns...so the improvement you will get from increasing from 50 to 70 will be more than that from 70 to 90.

• Options

DT19 - I recently 3:08 off the 18/55 plan but like you I was targeting 3:05 - I followed the plan pretty religiously and although I'm quite happy with the result I'm not confident that more of the same will get me my GFA time - you might be able to run a strong 3:05 from it, having tried it I'm pretty sure I can't!

This training cycle has started brilliant for me, day 1 I chopped my leg open climbing through a barbed wire fence, day 2 I faceplanted on the towpath leaving me with a bloody knee and a pronounced limp. Who knows what tonight's run will bring?

6 April: Brighton
    mace - 3:05 18/70 with some fiddling about
    icklemichael - 3:05 - 18/70
    Nose Nowt - 3:40 - adapted 18/55
    Lisa 123 - sub 4 - 18/55

6 April: Lochaber
    StewartC - sub 4 - 18/70

6 April: Manchester
    Kease7 2:59 18/70
    Debutant 3:05 18/70
    NSGNR - sub 3.45 - mix of 18/55 and 18/70
    AgentGinger - sub4 - 18/55

6 April: Paris
    yer_maj - sub 4 or die - 18/55

6 April: Zurich
    cleanshoes - sub 4 - adapted Higdon novice 2 for now, then 12/55

13 April: VMLM
    Ryan Snell - sub 2:45 - adapted 12/85
    15West- sub 2:48 - 18/70/85 (mix of both)
    Andrews148 - sub 3 - 18/70
    Freddy 1 - Sub 3.00 - 18/85
    DT19- Sub 3.05 - 18/55
    Literatin - sub 3:05 - 18/70
    marrows - sub 3:10 18/70
    Ramjet - 3:25 - 18/70
    Dr.Dan - 3:25 - 18/55 (Haddapted)
    running220 - sub 3:30 - 18/70
    Shazmo – sub 3.30 – 18/55 (may reconsider goal as currently injured)
    Rachelcgen - sub 4:30 - 18/55

21 April: Boston
    Shazmo – sub 4 – 1 week recovery after VMLM

6 May: Milton Keynes
    Xyloid - sub 4:00 - 18/55

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks 15west, that makes sense now.

Icklemichael- what half time were you coming from to do that?? I imagine that at this rate, by sundays run you are likely to be killed in a freak accident of some sort!!

• Options

tell it to him straight, DT.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

15, that would make sense as although it's the same increase in absolute terms, the % increase is less.

• Options

Icklemichael, I'm sure the 18/70 will work for you - if you survive!

I ran it in Autumn 2012 targeting 3:10 and in training ran at the paces for that, but on the day went balls-out and ran 3:01. Not a pleasant run though!

• Options

Planned to run home last night to fit in my 9mi GA run, but got a call from Mrs Ginger half an hour before i was due to leave saying there was water pouring through the living room ceiling and the power had cut out. Cue expensive plumber call-out, and an evening spent cleaning up :-

So that I don't fall too far behind I'm going to sneak in the 9miles this lunchtime instead (hurray for absent bosses), then get my 12-13mi run done on Saturday morning before we get the train up to manchester to see friends for the weekend.

It's one thing to map out your training plan, and talk about optimal recovery days, nutrition, fuelling on runs, but when it comes to it, much of this amateur running lark is just fitting it all in around your life.

I like Mike Tyson's response, when reporters were asking him, before a fight how we was going to deal with his opponents style, that his opponent was going to do this, and do that.

"Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth"

• Options

DT - I ran a pretty comfortable 1:26 during the training, which I'd interpreted to mean I was on track. My best half previous to that was in another 18/55 block and that was a not raced 1:32 - however much I emphasise not raced doubling my half time for a marathon target looks a bit suspicious...

andrews - that's reassuring but you must have been gutted to miss 3 by a minute! I am going to try and run 3:05 and only 3:05 this spring, next year I'm only allowed to run marathon and I don't want to mess it up.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Life eh!! I have prepared all my cycles from the book but taking account of things i know I have on over the spring. I am now on week 2 and whilst so far I will have got everything in, neither week have seen me execute the training exactly as per my pre prepared schedule set out! And next week is shaping up to be no different.

Have you not actually raced a HM during training?

• Options

That 1:32 was 2 weeks before Rome - there was no way I was going to race an HM that close to my target marathon!

I try to do every run in a given week but almost never manage to do them in the right order, this week I did my 15 miles on Monday, I'll do Tuesday's scheduled run Saturday morning and the others have all been variously shuffled around - I mostly manage to avoid two hard runs back to back but I seem to recall on my last 18/55 there were a couple of weeks where circumstances made it unavoidable (although nothing as serious as AGs plumbing thank god!).

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Weather here a bit crazy at moment. Might have to delay my lunchtime run.

• Options

Icklemichael, sub3 would have been great, and I was on the pace until mile 23, but I had only set out to get a London GFA, which I thought was 3:10, but turned out to be 3:05, so I'm glad I went balls-out on the day!

More than happy with 3:01, having trained 3:10.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I don't think the order matters, as long as you don't do too many tough sessions back to back and give yourself chance to recover.

I have a 10mi race on sunday...and am supposed to run 10mi today...not sure whether to cut it down to a 6mi recovery. Plus, looks horrible out there.

• Options

What's that saying 'there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing' - having said that I'm not sure what clothing would be appropriate for this - maybe a sail?

• Options

Full armour, given some of the things flying about. Scotrail have reported everything from hay bales to trampolines on the lines. Guess flying Christmas ornaments are a major hazzard at this time of year as well!

• Options

I woke up to the sound of things crashing around in the wind and lay in bed smugly thinking how pleased I was that it's my rest day. image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The issue of rest days causes me some problem! They always seem to be scheduled to fall on days when life has thrown up no complication whatsoever and i have 7 hours spare!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Agree DT ... I will be doing my Saturday recovery sessions on Fridays and then taking Saturdays off.

• Options

I am flying back from Belfast today so hoping it is at least a tail wind!

• Options

It will be interesting to know where you land.   I hope you have your passport with you image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

I did my 5M recovery at 6am so don't have to worry about the shit weather image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I find that what ends up happening is that I change the session when i suddenly have a lot of time ie tonight I have 8m with strides, however I am going to get off work an hour early and there is nothing going on at home so already thinking it would be a waste not to do 11/12 miles!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

flippin'ec. The weather started calming down...but now has gone full on mental.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

right. feck it. I'm heading out. Been nice knowing you.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

it supposed to clear here around 5pm, which is jkust about when i can get out thankfully!

• Options

Just got back from my lunch run (10mi GA) There's weelie bins and branches everywhere! The second half was alright with the wind behind me though image

• Options

6 April: Brighton
    mace - 3:05 18/70 with some fiddling about
    Nose Nowt - 3:40 - adapted 18/55
    Lisa 123 - sub 4 - 18/55

6 April: Lochaber
    StewartC - sub 4 - 18/70

6 April: Manchester

Kease7 2:59 18/70
    Debutant 3:05 18/70
    NSGNR - sub 3.45 - mix of 18/55 and 18/70
    AgentGinger - sub4 - 18/55

6 April: Paris 
    yer_maj - sub 4 or die - 18/55

13 April: VMLM 
    Ryan Snell - sub 2:45 - adapted 12/85
    15West- sub 2:48 - 18/70/85 (mix of both) 
    Andrews148 - sub 3 - 18/70
    Freddy 1 - Sub 3.00 - 18/85
    DT19- Sub 3.05 - 18/55 
    Literatin - sub 3:05 - 18/70
    marrows - sub 3:10 18/70
    Ramjet - 3:25 - 18/70
    Dr.Dan - 3:25 - 18/55 (Haddapted)
    running220 - sub 3:30 - 18/70 
    Shazmo – sub 3.30 – 18/55 (may reconsider goal as currently injured)
    PJH92 - sub 3.45 - 18/55
    Rachelcgen - sub 4:30 - 18/55

21 April: Boston
    Shazmo – sub 4 – 1 week recovery after VMLM

6 May: Milton Keynes 
    Xyloid - sub 4:00 - 18/55

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I survived! Phew, bet you're all relieved.

• Options

Did my 9mi at lunch along the regents canal. a bit blustery in places, but more gusty than windy. Pace was pretty metronomic, average 9:46, and every mile was 9:40-something. So on track with what VDOT and mcmillan calculators call my "easy" pace. Felt relaxed. Calves feel a bit stiff now, but otherwise fine.