Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

Well folks.... that's it.... the 3 week taper for IM France begins.

Seems to have taken forever to get here, and at the same time, happened in a flash!

Work has kindly conspired to throw in some warm weather acclimatisation, and i'll be flying into Nice from the UK via Singapore.... image

I guess i'll never be any readier... but I still don't feel ready!!!!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Today was superb. I'd sort of hoped for about 5hrs 30 (40 min swim, 2hr 50 bike and a couple of hours of running) with the transitiony bits in there somewhere. Ended up with 37 min swim, 2 hr 37 bike and 1hr 46 running so, with my customary time for tea and a slice of cake in transition, a total of 5hrs 8 mins and 43 seconds.Well pleased.

Swim started a bit crap. I don't really know why but then I thought "in 24 hours time I'll be at work". I don't much like work - so swimming in what was a very nice lake became a nice thing to be doing so I became quite happy. Sighting on a yellow canoe for a while instead of a yellow bouy wasn't ideal but I sorted it reasonably quickly.

The bike was great. First time I've used a TT bike in a race and it made a big difference. Average speed 21mph, fastest bike ride of that distance that I've ever done.

Run went good too. My shoes are on their way out, I knew that but didn't want to use new shoes. Normally I run in five finger socks but I didn't want to faff in transition putting them on (unusual for me as I faff for everything else in transition) so I used proper socks and and now have 3 or 4 blisters, one missing toenail and one that will soon be gone. No complaints though - I had a great run.

Weather was lovely all day. I like it warm and it was. Nice to see a couple of other pirates too.

7 weeks to Outlaw, I'm not ready for a full iron distance race at the moment - but I will be by then.

• Options

75 hilly miles done including 2 ascents of the highest road in Cornwall one at the start and one at the end including a rear wheel puncture at 40 mph on the descentimage don't know how i didn't crash all done at a pace well over IM then a hilly off road hours run.

Had a really great last big weekend taper time nowimage

• Options

cheggers ....great racing.....if you are not ready for ironman with your training then none of areimage

• Options

Great results Cheggers and MC. Those are times I could only dream of hitting. 

I did 75 flattish miles today at 15mph and I was chuffed with that. Sounds very pedestrian on here image.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    After last week's poor show a hilly 88 miles on the bike in 5h15 today, tiring into the wind the last 10 and was glad of a passing club run to latch on to the back of. Will aim for a century next week. Full race distance pool swim yesterday in about 90-95 minutes. Need to get some running done.
  • Options

hanster.I averaged under 12mph for my 30 mile ride on wednesdayimage

• Options
    Can't quote properly on this bloody iPhone.

However, in response to ChallengeCheggars.....

Bollocks you're not ready, I've seen the miles you're logging on Strava on a weekly basis. If you're not up to the task, then god help the rest of us!
  • Options

IronPudge - no arguments there, I could knock out 112 bike miles  - running 26 miles straight afterwards wouldn't be quite such a definite at the moment......that's what I'm on about. Problem is I like cycling, nowhere near as keen on running, so it's an effort to go and do it. 

• Options

This thread has been quiet for a few days - is everyone out enjoying the sun or have we given up on training? image

• Options

'training'

Nope, don't get it. Never heard that word.

OK, so just looked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary. It say don't do it. Training is not something that people who are prepared to use the OED for reference should ever consider, as you are almost certainly a librarian. It then goes on to say that one librarian who trains is more than enough, and we all know who that librarian is. Desist at once.

• Options

Not given up just yet, 75 miles on the bike this morning, scaling back massively over the next 2 days now before my Oly on Sunday

• Options

Not done anything since Sunday, as been busy with Brownies, gymnastics, football training, Cubs....and just life in general.

However, will be getting out for a run tonight, so hope to get back on track.

Was supposed to be doing an oly distance triathlon down at Pennington Flash this Sunday, but got inked a few days ago so can't go in the water (especially nowhere as minging as there) for at least another week, so have shelved it and will get a long bike ride done instead.  That said, I'm at a confirmation on Saturday, and we Catholics know how to refresh ourselves at these things image

• Options

Not been on for a while and it looks like everyone one is still bang at it, well done and keep it going. Not to long to wait till wales now.

Did my 1st olympic distance on sunday in a time of 2hr 40 min ( 23 min swimm, 1hr 15 bike and 58min run which i was dissapointed with as I have been running a good 10 min faster than that in traing but all in all i think it went ok. was really slow in trasition but it was just a practice race.

Also swam the full swim this morning in a time of 1hr 8 min so at least i know i can do it all even if its not gunna be quick.

• Options
    trotter 2 wrote (see)

Also swam the full swim this morning in a time of 1hr 8 min so at least i know i can do it all even if its not gunna be quick.

I'd be delighted with 1hr 8min - well done mate!

• Options
    IronPudge wrote (see)

Not done anything since Sunday, as been busy with Brownies,

Aren't you a bit old for Brownies?

IronPudge wrote (see)

but got inked a few days ago so can't go in the water

M dot? or Lanza symbol? we need pictures

• Options
    trotter 2 wrote (see)

Hah.... 1hr 8mins is a pipedream for me! I'll be happy in France with 1hr 30mins

• Options

no way MC you will be fine mate, you have to belive and cheers Pudge I must admitt i felt happy with that. shame the swim is only a small part of it lol

• Options
    trotter 2 wrote (see)

Hah.... 1hr 8mins is a pipedream for me! I'll be happy in France with 1hr 30mins

1hr 8mins I would be happy with 2hr 8mins
  • Options
    Today I'd planned to cycle 50 miles.

I seem to have ended up cycling 81 miles!

Lovely day for it though.
  • Options

crooky.all these people worried about swimming.......within cutoffs is the ultimate aim....noone wants taken out of a race in the swim.......

but sub 2 makes a bit more of a saftey blanket image

having an easy week.Ironman Wales bike route tomorrow image

• Options

your are right there seren i will ned the extra swimm time for the bike leg thats why i am happy with the swim. but like you say as long as you get there in time then your well away

• Options
    trotter 2 wrote (see)

your are right there seren i will ned the extra swimm time for the bike leg thats why i am happy with the swim. but like you say as long as you get there in time then your well away

I'm with you there - I reckon I'll be around 1hr 40 for my swim but any extra minutes will be well used on the bike. image

Has anyone else seen (or used) this:

http://www.220triathlon.com/training/long-distance/how-long-will-it-take-to-complete-your-first-ironman/8763.html

I worked out my time for Vichy should be around 14hrs 11mins....we'll see, I was aiming for somewhere between 14 and 15hrs (mainly so I see the fireworks that go off at the 15hr mark....)

• Options

I'm quite happy with where my swim is at but I did spend all winter working on it as I couldn't swim before that. If I can squeeze any more time out of the times I have been producing in OW it'd be great, but I want to focus on the bike now until my taper.

Crooky - have you swam the 3.8k before? You'll be fine!

IGIT - I can't do that calculator as I've never done a mara but I can't see how it can work without factoring in rain, wind, heat, hills, currents, stopping for a breather and a cuppa etc etc

• Options

Yeah,I suspect it's definitely supposed to be just a guideline - probably based on a fairly flat/smooth course in normal conditions. image

• Options

I have to admit that until recently I have never done the full 3.8k in training.only ever in racesimage

2k was as far as my boredom levels would allow most times..

• Options
    IGIT I did Imuk last year and managed the swim

In 1hr 41 which I couldn't believe when I got

Out, hopefully looking to do the same again

But anything under 2hrs and I will be happy
  • Options
    I'm feeling it a bit this week after Bala. Did a couple of hours on Tuesday and Wednesday but ditching today's plans as an extra rest. Couldn't get out of bed to run this morning so binning off my swim tonight and enjoying the football with a beer. My body is telling me to rest after all! Long run tomorrow then swim in the flash and bike Saturday.
  • Options

For no particular reason I try to swim 3.8k at least once a month. Usually it ends up being in the pool (where the waterproof iPod proves its worth) but occasionally - as last month - in OW.

Regardless of where I am it seems to always take about 1hr 20 mins. I know I can swim faster but it isn't dramatically faster and it knackers me out - and since I'm, in theory, training for an event with a bike ride and a run afterwards I don't view the swim wearing me out as being something to aim for. My technique is probably rubbish though but it does the job.

• Options

4.4k OW swim this evening.... was just too nice out there to stop!