Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options

Congrats again Malcs and everyone else who has set the bar so high with new PBs. This thread has been great reading and excellent motivation. Like Minni says, sub 3:15 hould definitely be the next target, but not until you've enjoyed soaking up what you have just achieved!

• Options
    Great going malcs, sadly I didn't crack 3.30 I finished in 3.37 a 21 min pb but not what I wanted. I learnt a valuable lesson yesterday be optimistic not pessimistic when picking your finish time. I put 3.45 and was in that pen, they wouldn't let me change. I spent the entire race battling traffic and just couldn't get a constant pace going, it was stop start all the way. I overtook over 6k people from the 5k timer to the end which shows the constant battle I faced. Next time I will get it!
  • Options

Meant Angela not Andrea in ealier post - sorry can't edit - well done again image

• Options

Haha! James, well done you!  Amazing time, congratulations image

• Options

So pleased for you Malcs. I know you more than anyone have inspired many on this forum. 

Good luck in the future And here's to many more Pb's! 

• Options

Malcs Absolutely brilliant, awesome, so so chuffed for you. As littlemissactive said, you have inspired many on this forum and twitter. Without calf issues and less heat who knows what you can achieve. I look forward to following your next challenge too.

Angela Well done you, that is tremendous!!!!

And to anyone else out there who set PB this weekend awesome well done.

My attempt ended in glorious failure at mile 15 (2hrs and on track) my calf decided to play up and I knew that it would not hold me up for 11 miles at 8 min mile pace so I stopped and stretched for a min or three per mile for the rest of the run...4.15. Not great given what Id put in to 4 months training but I will be back.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Very best of luck for Sunday to Nayan, Angela and SupermanRuns!

Thanks for sharing the journey. You've all been brilliant.

Go kick some tarmac butt! image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

38 mins, Angela  imageimageimage   crikey, that's some PB by a long margin!! Huge well dones and very much deservied. Surely that's a BQ? Or are you telling me you are 24image?

Superman: rest up and be ready to rock 'n roll around the Boston hills image

Malcs: can't wait for the report. It will be epicimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

congratulations Malcs an awesome achievement

Angela, top work too totally smashing your PB

• Options

Chickadee, alas, I am 27, so I need sub 3:35 for a BQ... close enough now that I can taste it though!  My goal was to get the BQ whilst in this age category, rather than to get it merely by aging!image

Thanks for all the congrats from everyone...There's no way I would have had the belief to even attempt this kind of time without the support, advice and encouragement of y'all on these forums.

I have just blogged and it turns out I can remember barely anything of the race - usually I could write novels for each of my races, but not yesterday.. anyhoo, post is here, and it has my splits in as well, which I am super amazed by (blowing own trumpet)  My aim was sub 3:45

http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/greater-manchester-marathon.html 

Superman runs  so sorry to hear about your calf image  but you did the right thing- think forward to the next race, rather than putting it all on this one and injuring yourself further.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Please ignore the above post from me! I'm sure you probably spotted it was accidentally posted from a page refresh by my browser grrr! image

Unfortunately I can't delete it. 

Anyway, not long back to rainy GB. Thanks for all the wonderful messages. I will reply properly  very soon!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just quickly though - can I add my congrats to Angela on an outstanding performance yesterday. That's just incredible. image

Also, SupermanRuns, as I said on Twitter - just so sorry to see you run into trouble like that. Most people would have thrown in the towel but I know you battled on for your charity. Damn gutsy performance mon ami!

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Well done Malcs, you did it!!! You had me worried on Twittwr as saw a feed from RW with a pic of Roger finishing and they didn't post one of you. We all know you are capable of much faster of course, but you did so well to get your target given your calf problem. As Minni says, go get that sorted now!

• Options

Malcs 5k splits

24:51

24:59

24:47

24:39

24:28

24:40

24:45

24:20

i joined him at exactly 8 miles at departed at 26 miles my average km pace for that section was 4:53 but probably detoured quite a bit as overtook over 6000 runners from 15k to 40k

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Angela I wrote (see)

Chickadee, alas, I am 27, so I need sub 3:35 for a BQ... close enough now that I can taste it though!  My goal was to get the BQ whilst in this age category, rather than to get it merely by aging!image 

unlike me thenimage  BUT I beat that BQ time for my age group by over 30 mins image

• Options

Haha!  I wasn't poking at you Chickimage  but when I set goals I like to put time frames on them, otherwise, I could have been waiting until my 60s to run boston (at what my times were when I first thought of going for it)...  I have in my blog to get on the start line for 2016, but actually have until I am 35 (I think) before the age category changes...

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    You women get stronger with age! It's so unfair!

SupermanRuns - that's not failure mate. That's sticking at it for the greater good! I really admire that! You've been very unlucky but it makes us stronger. Be proud my friend!

Steve - I realise we all take for granted what you do but what you did yesterday for Malcs was an incredible selfless act. From what Malcs tells me, that's just how you are. If any athlete this year has personified what the competition is about it's been Malcs so I think I speak for everyone on here when I say if Malcs hadn't hit that Sub 3:30 we would have all been hugely disappointed for him. We know that what you did gave him the focus he needed when he was in danger of it all falling apart.

Well done on being a top human being!
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wise words, DS, wise words image
  • Options

Congrations Malcs! Impressive 5k splits. 

• Options

Or even "congratulations" ! image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Well said DS!

So what are your plans for Sunday Angela? 3:30? 

I'm still up for a meet by the church and walk to the start if anyone else is? 

• Options

Oh dear!! Plans for London, hmm, would be cool to get my second sub 4hr marathon I guess, but am feeling pretty good- reckon I could take the responsibility of pacing someone going for 4-4:15... Which start are u on Mr P?

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Which church Mr P?
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

The one on Blackheath, on your right as you start the walk up to the start area.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah! I know it.
  • Options

Well done Malcs that was a cracking bit of running I'm sure your delightedimage

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Here it is...theres a handy bench outside, and you can get to red or blue start easily.

http://www.100marathonclub.org.uk/new/miscellaneous/stories/images/st_london_12_002.jpg

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Great picture Mr P. I'll probably meet there!