Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Deep breath...

booktrunk - many thanks! Your turn in MK image

Sean - I was pretty worried yes but I was more worried about finishing than missing sub 3:30. Steve made sure that I had the best chance of doing both image

Triggg - I'm still kicking myself that we didn't see you. There were so many people slowing down as the race progressed so I guess we were too focused on not colliding with anyone and staying together.

It was such a nice start sharing the first miles with yourself and Marcus. Really great to have met you. I hope you enjoyed the night and with luck our paths will cross again.

chickadeee - ha image Yes, I know. That was pretty much my reaction - holy calf, not again! So glad it stayed in one piece image

reikirabbit - many thanks! Yes, didn't think it would be possible to keep pace in the 2nd half but there you go image

A.W - cheers! If I could have stomached cake I would have. By the time my guts settled they'd cleared up image

marrows - ha ha image I was merely slipstreaming Steve!

ArrowsLou - hope you had a great weekend. How did your guys get on?

Nayan - how are you feeling today? I hope you're feeling suitably proud of an excellent first race. To run that sort of time on your first in those conditions is just immense. I fell flat on my face in my first marathon and it took a while to kill off the demons of that one. You have a great experience to take on to your next one.

simon62w - how's the achilles looking? No more relapses I hope?

Jen - thanks Jen, you're a star image

Runbikecat - ha image Ruth said we could have what we wanted on Sunday so yes, we did!

DS2 - above and beyond indeed! Whilst I was finding it hard on the legs, they were still moving and it was so great to be passing people in the late stages image

RunnyRunRun - many thanks Sarah. And thanks for all your hints and tips that you've been giving me behind the scenes, very much appreciated. I have total respect for that amazing performance you put in last year.

PC - so disappointed I didn't get to meet you. As you predicted, formalities made it difficult to meet up but I did see some of the other Paris thread guys at the end which was just brilliant.

You're no muppet my friend. Really appreciate all the help and support you've given me. Once day we will get to shake hands and share a beer - who knows, I may even buy itimage

nattynatster - thanks so much! Yes, loads of positives to take from that. Just a relief to make the target, even if it was only by half a minute image

Angela - as I said earlier, that is just a staggering performance from you. We all knew you had it in you but it's one thing everyone telling you what you're capable of and quite another thing actually achieving it. Amazing!

Fairyclogs - thanks for posting! That is a fanstastic result! First VW55 is astonishing. You must be thrilled. It's always inspiring to hear stories like this. Well done!

Mr Puffy - eek, was the leg bad or did you just struggle with fitness? Really hope you'll be good for the weekend because I'm coming to shout at you image

I'll be at the church too!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

knight rider - thanks, really appreciate that! I know what you all went through now!

Dotty1 - many thanks. Calf isn't as bad as after Spitfire so that's not so bad. Or maybe I'm just not as worried about it now the pressure is off, who knows image

Rob - cheers, hopefully I'll be able to gatecrash another session some time, will let you know!

Roundman - thanks! How did you get on? Great to see you made sub 3, absolutely brilliant result!

Freemers - cheers! Was pretty tired but a beer or two did manage to slip down and crucially, didm't come back up again image

Well done on your last run. Hope to see you flying past on Sunday!

James - thanks and wow, what a brilliant result for you, I'm so pleased! 

Clive - cheers. Certainly puts your Berlin effort into perspective, that was just heroic!

Minni - many thanks indeed! Is it wrong to be looking forward to York now? image lol - ah yes, TR24, forgot about that!

Ini Ekwo - ha image Yes, apparently I did! There's still a part of me that can't quite believe it image 

Very best of luck in MK. We'll be watching to see how you get on!

Ady - thanks matey, I feel honoured to now share a 'skin of your teeth' sub 3:30 with your good self image

Niall74 - oh no, that's such a shame. It is a nightmare trying to get through people. We were much further ahead and even we were battling to get past people at the end. I guess that's one downside of big city marathons. 

That said you should be massively proud of that result. You'll have learned loads I'm sure and will be all the better for it on the next one. Best of luck to you and very well done!

Littlemissactive - aw, thanks, you are too kind!

SupermanRuns - you're a gent sir and you deserve to have a belter in Boston!

StewartC - thanks for following, really appreciate it!

Slowkoala - you are too kind. Ha image Yes I got distracted at the end talking to people. Mrs Malcs was getting very worried image

Steve - thanks for those, they look pretty consistent. Very nice that the last 5K was the fastest.

Not So Great North Runner - they are not too shabby really, very pleased with those image

Martin Brady 5 - many thanks. Very pleased indeed. Is it GWM next week?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - thanks so much! Carb loading seemed to work perfectly. However, I'm not sure whether I got the in-race right. My stomach was a bit ropey - felt like anything I put in was repeating on me. 

I wonder if I could get away with putting less in? Hard to say. However, even from half way anything I put in (gels, JB's or fluids) seemed to upset the system a bit.

Anyway, it got me to the end and I didn't feel low on fuel at any point so I guess we can call that a success. What do you reckon?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Paris report is coming but as you might imagine it's a bit bigger than the others so far image

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

I'm the same Malcs - a bit too tired to post a full report. I have started writing it but am falling asleep in front of the laptop.

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Having been with Malcolm and the others over the past few days can I say that as others have said - he is a truly inspirational man. His words of wisdom to me before and after the marathon will stick with me forever.

He is a true gentleman.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Lol....meet you at the church Sunday!!  Xx

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Thanks Malcs. Looking forward to your next report. Feeling shattered but getting back in control of my legs now! Still descending stairs backward when i have to though! 

My biggest exertion for now will be foam rolling and stretching image

• Options

very well done malcs for achieveing your aim. for those of you doing London I'm helping with bags on the lorries in the morning. Will probably wear my pink hat so if you see me, give me a holla!

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Malcs - do you know where you'll be watching on Sunday so I can look out for you? I'll be wearing the kit in my avatar - the t-shirt says ANNE on the front. And green running shoes with yellow laces, of course image
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

What will you have on your back, think that's all I'll be seeing!

• Options

Looking forward to the report malcs.

I'm still volunteering to be your running partner for London Angelaimage  A nice steady 10m/m should be a breeze!

MrPuffy - do you mean 8:30 at that sign? I'd like to meet, I'm at blue start too

• Options
    Well done Angela! I couldn't fnd your time before, can't believe you're doing London as well.

Anybody on green?

Looking forward to your report Malcs - clubmates reckon the first half was tough with a draining uphill, conditions hot & humid, some pulled out halfway etc???all the more awesome by you.
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I'm on green, so is Minni. We should be somewhere near the celebs tent - just to hang out with the stars of courseimage

Mr P - I'll think of a suitable slogan for my backimage
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I think 8:30 might  be a bit late Rachel? Or Am I being over cauitious? I'm thinking introductions, group hug, a few photos etc, then walk to the start, queue for toilets, soak it up etc.   There's a bench opposite the chur ch that's a good spot, the sign might not be there for some reason. 

• Options

Mr Puffy - but your previous post said 3:30? (or am I going mad) image So that would be too early. or late. what time do you mean?

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I was suggesting Angela go for 3:30 I think Rachel I think 8 is better but perhaps im worrying too much?

• Options

Hmm a London GFA and a BQ in the space of 8 days, that would give me bragging rights for life I reckon!! But I'd much rather pace someone to their marathon!!!  Rachel, what sort of pace have u settled on as MP?? image

• Options

Mr Puffy, 8am is fine with me, but I'm walking from just down the road! So easy to get there

Angela - 10m/m is target to get me 4:22 image 

• Options

Deal!!! Although I'm useless running at 10, usually settle on 9:51image you will have to control me image

• Options

I've decided to wear my ultra vest so can carry lots of extra jelly babies image

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

8.00 meet! I thought I was getting a lie in image ...off to regoogle trains! I'll be eating my porridge on the underground lol

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

jen it is not set in stone, open to suggestions image

• Options

Where is Malcs report? Eh? 

• Options

Angela - woot!!!  So the first few miles are going to be 'slow down' the middle section are going to be 'that's fine' and the last few are going to be 'speed up'! image  

Also happy to meet a little later, as my bed in Blackheath has evaporated! image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - got two day's of work to catch up on but it's two thirds of the way there. You'll regret asking when you see the size of it! image

Hmm, don't quote that last bit out of context please!

Re. the London meet, as both Green and Blue starts are very near the church I would have thought meeting between 8:15 and 8:30 will give you plenty of time. Race start is 10 am correct? So even if you disperse at 8:45 you'd easily get to the start areas with over an hour to spare.

I'm coming up to see you all at the church then I'll be cheering you on later (I'll let you know where as soon as I've worked my plan out). 

• Options

Beware Rachel, I have no idea what my body will do when I try to convince it to run a marathon again on Sunday, so be mentally prepared that u may have to leave me behind!!

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

it's two thirds of the way there. You'll regret asking when you see the size of it! image

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Tehehehe Angela!!