Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options

Angela image Totally understand. So I may end up pacing you?  ;-)

• Options

Indeedio Rachel image 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Cheeky girl Angela!

I should be there for 8. I need to sort out getting from home to Blackheath at some point! Is anyone else on the GFA start outside the park gates? I assume a good number are starting just inside?

It's so long since I did London that I can't remember much plus the last three times I started with the masses because I had a charity place. I suppose I need to read the magazine. It might stop me stressing! Malcs - I think this is the point where taper madness is kicking in.

I need to run but worried about my Achilles. Gonna go to gym later and jog a mile to see how it feels. If it goes ok I'll speed up a little before a jog warm down! God, I hate the last few days!
  • Options

Angela  & malcs - made me have a wee giggle. Thank you!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Right - bit the bullet and read the mag! The bench by the church will be perfect for me! Mrs DS2 will drop me off along the road just before!

See you there, one and all.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Naughty step please Angela, off you go! 

DS2 - I think most of the people here are on Green or Blue which are outside the park. You'e on Green correct?

If you're at the gym then no harm in a little jog on the tread but any sign of trouble and stop. Don't panic though! Could be the body messing with mind, or is it the other way round? I dunno but it's deep breaths time.

As you know, nothing you do now will have much of a positive impact so relax and resist that voice saying that you *need* to be running. All will be fine on the day.

• Options
    I'll pass by the church also, hope it's obvious.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Evening everyone!

I'm off to the expo tomorrow so looking forward to reading Malcs's race report on the way.  I'm picking up the boss's number too, hope it doesn't fly out of the window on the way home image.  

I'm having a bit of a wibble, I did fifve miles tonight at 7:48s and just felt like I was done at the end. Leg hurt a bit but a bit of achilles as well, proper taper madness!. Usually our club five miler falls the Wednesday before London and I get a good idea of where I am, but it is next week so I feel like I've missed a vital pointer too.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Cross post RR...

you come out of the station, turn left, walk uphill slightly, as you go onto Blackheath, look right and ere is a sort of triangle and there is the bench.  We may not be the only bunch meeting up there I think it is a popular rendezvous. I think you can street view it. Its def on Google earth/satellite.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Right - thanks Malcs! I'm not going to run. I've walked miles today and I don't know what I hope to achieve by running.

I will hopefully do 3 or 4 miles easy tomorrow.
  • Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

...got my last piece of granola bar saved for the epic read!!

• Options

Has it grown Malcs? image

• Options

Congratulations Malcs, amazing result especially considering the calf problems!

What an amazing journey from back at bootcamp to now, has been a pleasure being involved and following everyones progress image.

Im on Blue start for Sunday, cant wait to experience what is to come! Will keep an eye out for familiar faces by the church, best of luck to everyone racing this weekend image

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Can't believe it....got up especially early so I have time to read Malcs' report before work and he hasn't written it! Come on Malcs, what's keeping you? It can over ever get so big you know image
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Probably giving it a last minute tweak.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I think he needs to be careful that we don't lose interest in his performance....
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - ok, I'm going to post it all in a minute just to end all the innuendo! image

It's going to take me a good 20 mins or so to get it all on so please bear with me. 

EastEndJogger - sorry, forgot to say many thanks for your post yesterday! Very well done to you too. That's an awesome result for you. Manchester seemed to be where the records were being smashed on Sunday!

Feral Bob - cheers dude! (that was my attempt to sound young and hip) 

Yes, yes, come to the church - it would be brilliant to see you! 

Right, no posting please until I sound the claxxon. It'll take me a page or two to get this lot on here. Deep breath...

• Options

Angela - Congratulations! Well done! PB by 38 mins - that is great! - amazing really. I just read your blog post and it is a good read. Sounds like it all went according to plan. Good luck on Sunday.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ini Ekwo - phewph, that was a close one, you nearly interrupted the first section of my marathon post lol image

That would have been a yellow card offence at least image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

PARIS DAY 1 - Friday

For the past few days I'd been busily making lists and nervously gathering together all the things I needed for the trip. But that was all done now and today I could finally zip up the bags and get the last part of this amazing journey underway.

We were due to meet at St Pancras at 8:30 am. Unfortunately Mrs Malcs and I were a bit delayed so most people were there by the time we arrived.

There was a bit of giggling at the shocking pink suitcase that I arrived with. I had a perfectly reasonable explanation: it was of course Mrs Malcs' bag and I was merely being chivalrous by carrying it for her. The fact that it had my name on it and contained all my belongings raised further questions but as I explained, Mrs Malcs was merely carrying her stuff in my bag and I was carrying mine in hers image

With the important matter of bag ownership resolved we headed off to check in for the Eurostar. We made the age old mistake of picking the queue at passport control with the slightly freaky people in it. Immediately we were going nowhere and had to make that difficult decision whether to stay put or jump queues. We manned up and jumped queues and had the pleasure of smugly drifting through with ease, trying not to make eye contact with the suspicious looking ones as we passed.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/11885_1483695288525940_415267166_n.jpg

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

The journey was great. It took several hours to get to Paris but as I was now in day 1 of my cargo load I needed this time to get through the mountain of food that Ruth had prescribed for me.

The taxi ride to the hotel was an experience. Our driver clearly fancied himself as a bit of a ladies man (he was French after all). He had slicked back hair, shades (naturally) and a few too many buttons undone. He seemed to be very jolly but I think he was just high on the fumes from his aftershave. We could hardly breathe when we got inside. I reckon he'd rubbed it into the upholstery because everything stank of it. Either that or he had made a considerable amount of skin contact with the seating - not a thought I wanted to dwell on!

Thankfully it didn't take long to get there so we all checked in and then met back downstairs where we were introduced to Cathy from Asics who had very kindly flown out to be with us all. Sadly she couldn't stay for the race itself because Asics UK had their flagship UK marathon event in Manchester on Sunday but it was very nice of her to come over to be with us.

When we were all ready it was time for the next event on the agenda - the expo!

For those who don't know, race numbers need to be collected in person from the marathon expo. You also need to have a signed medical certificate, a convocation slip proving your entry and some photo ID.

In the Expo group we had all the runners plus Andrea and Katie from RW, Cathy from Asics, Dan the videographer and Coach Sam Murphy.

It was a fair trip to the Expo which is near enough at the other end of the metro from the hotel in Montmatre. It's a bit different from London in that you go to a desk based on the colour of your pace pen. I've never been so high up in the pens, just one away from the front so this was particularly exciting. When I got my race number and little green goody bag it sent a little shiver through me thinking that this was the final thing we needed before the race!

/members/images/448713/Gallery/race_number.jpg

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

After a short wander round the expo with James and Roger I needed to sit down so we plonked down near the exits to do some hardcore passive smoking. This is no joke - honestly, I can't believe how many more people smoke in Paris compared with London. They do it outside but there's so much smoke it just blows back in.

Thankfully the others were back quite soon after and we headed back to the hotel. There was enough time for a quick freshen up before heading out for dinner.

As we were all carbo loading RW had booked a very nice Italian restaurant so we could all fill ourselves with pasta. I thought I'd made a mistake with the penne arrabiata as it almost blew my face off. James had the same and looked like he had just stepped out of a sauna. I think we were both thinking the same thing: I hope I'm not going to pay the price later! image

We left the restaurant quite late so that was it for day 1. Back to the hotel for a quadruple weetabix and banana nightcap then bed image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

PARIS DAY 2 - Saturday

The sun was shining when we woke up on Saturday morning. I immediately dived into cargo loading using with the porridge I'd brought over. I was using the method RRR had recommended of pouring on boiling water and then leaving it to stand with an occasional stir.

I even had milk that I'd bought from the Huit a Huit round the corner (French equivalent of seven-eleven except it opens later, closes earlier and shuts for a 2 hour lunch).

I'd manage to squeeze the milk into the mini bar so it stayed fresh. It was a tricky manoeuvre as I was being ultra careful not to dislodge any of the items inside - I'm always paranoid about being charged if it looks like you've moved anything. I had raisins and syrup from home too. All worked a treat!

Having got the porridge down I then accompanied Mrs Malcs to the restaurant where I had the pleasure of watching her work through the cooked breakfast and pastries while I sipped on orange juice image

Still, it gave me time to let my porridge go down before the first engagement of the day - a short 2 mile jogette as a leg loosener.

I've never run the day before any of my marathons. I always thought it was better to rest. However, both Steve and Sam were adamant that a light jog with a few strides were a really good idea for priming the legs prior to the big one.

I have to say they were right. I felt like I was ready for action afterwards and it was a nice reminder that everything still worked after the taper.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Next on the agenda was the photo shoot. We all returned to our rooms to freshen up and change into race gear.

The hotel has an amazing roof terrace where you can look out over the city with the Eiffel Tower in the background. It was a perfect spot for the pre-race photos. Tom (the photographer) did his stuff brilliantly as always and we were soon done.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/564750_1484111278484341_957721472_n.jpg

Then came the moment I was dreading, the video interviews! The campaign videos up to now had featured the Asics Pro Team and so we'd been spared the pressure of any interviews. However, that was all about to end and to make matters worse I was first up!

To be fair it wasn't that bad. Katie (RW) and Dan (the videographer) were very good at putting me at ease. I still babbled a bit, I accidentally swore once and there was a great moment when a bee just hovered in front of my face but apart from that it wasn't the ordeal I was expecting.

After we were done with the interviews we had a few more personal and group photos and we were all done. We now had the rest of the afternoon to ourselves.

Mrs Malcs and I went and grabbed some lunch and then headed off on the metro to the Latin Quarter. Mrs Malcs was very understanding and knew I didn't want to be on my feet much so after a quick walk past some of the shops and Notre Dame we ducked into a cafe and stayed there in the shade.

Mrs Malcs went off for another wander and I stayed and wrote up some if day 1 while I waited. We then headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

For convenience (and not least because of the pasta heavy menu) we revisited the scene of last nights carbo fest. This time I went for the less aggressively spiced option of spaghetti and tomato sauce. Whilst the effects on my system had been negligible the night before I was taking no risks on the eve of the race!

With our bellies full of pasta we returned in good time so that everyone had time to get ready for Sunday. I was quite nervous now as I packed my bag and laid out my kit. Tomorrow was the big one, the day of reckoning. After all the training and build up it had all finally come to this and I couldn't wait!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

PARIS DAY 3 - Sunday (Race Day)

The alarm went off at 6am but I was already awake to turn it off. Taxis were booked for 7am so I had plenty of time to get myself organised and out the door. I'd already gone through everything in my head many times so I knew the drill. For the moment I was fairly calm but I knew that this was it - crunch time.

I had my race day breakfast: a medley of cereals consisting of a single weetabix set in a bed of rice crispies on an all bran foundation with a muesli dressing. Yeah, I like to keep things simple.

I had 500ml of fruit juice to sip on until an hour before gun time so I made a start on that too before gathering my things and heading out the door (I remembered to dress as well - apart from the embarrassment of appearing naked where would I pin my race number?)

There were some excited faces waiting for me in reception. The taxis arrived and we headed off.

It was only just getting light in Paris at that time. The streets were very quiet apart from the odd runner here and there. We got as close as we could to the Start line before continuing to the Asics VIP area on foot.

We had to go through the finish funnel to get to there. It's quite surreal seeing it all empty, apart from the people setting up of course. When we got there I was gobsmacked. RRR had told me a bit about it but seeing it all in the flesh was amazing.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/finish_line_approach.jpg

The VIP area was like some kind of Transformer. A massive truck that converted into a two storey viewing platform complete with bar, changing area, tables, chairs and best of all a ring side seat at the finish line. Absolutely amazing.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/outside_VIP.jpg

/members/images/448713/Gallery/looking_over_finish.jpg

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

(still with me? Feel free to take a break and grab a coffee!)

By this time it was getting close to 8am. I needed to start getting ready. I had hoped to meet the Paris thread guys for a photo at 8 but that was gone now. Gel belt on, and final prep time. I had a minor panic when I realised one of my gels was leaking. This had left a dubious looking crusty white stain on my trackies which was more than a little embarrassing!

But I didn't have time to dwell on the gel. Quicker than a formula one pit team I had the spare in place and I was ready for action.

Gareth and Isabel were going to head over a bit later so Roger, James and I said our goodbyes and started off towards the pens. It was quite a bit further than we thought it would be and incredibly busy. We left James at the Green pen and Roger dropped me at Yellow. I had planned to meet MJKK and Triggg before getting to the pens but we had a contingency plan to meet there if I got delayed. Thankfully I was greeted by both of them as soon as I entered. It was incredibly nice to have company as I was pretty nervous at this stage.

I'd put an old tee shirt on and the obligatory marathon poncho but I didn't need them. It was quite warm already. The sun was shining and there wasn't much cloud in the sky. This worried me as I'd not fared well in the heat in the past.

Paris has a staggered start so there's a short delay between the release of each pen. I was lucky enough to be near the front and so there was only a 10 minute delay before we were off.

The first few miles went well. The plan was to stick at 7:50 pace and make halfway in 1:43. We were a little slower than this but we weren't too worried about it at this early stage.

By the time we reached the first water station I could really feel the heat. I was sweating quite alot already so I knew I'd have to be disciplined with the fluids. Luckily there was a bit of shade to be found from the buildings on the left so I tried to stay in the shadow where I could.

By mile 6 my calf had started to tighten. It was exactly the same issue I'd had at Spitfire so I knew what was coming and my heart sunk. By mile 7 I knew I would need to stretch it. MJKK was already starting to pull away so I told Triggg I'd need to stop and he wished me luck as we parted company.

I'd spotted a lamp post in the car park we were passing so I gave the calf a good stretch over on that. I also took the opportunity to do a quick bladder evac while I was at a standstill.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

When I rejoined the race I could still feel the calf. I could only hope it wouldn't get worse. I had the experience from Spitfire to draw on but at the back of my mind I knew that I was running slower and less distance that time.

It was then that I saw Andrea, Sam Murphy and Steve. I don't think Steve spotted me at first but when I glanced behind I could see he was running to catch me. I slowed a little so he could catch me easier. Before the race he'd said he would try and run a bit with me but I wasn't expecting what was to follow.

I told Steve about the calf and he said to ride it out but I may need to stop again if it deteriorated. Underneath I think we both knew that if that happened then sub 3:30 would be gone. I had some emergency paracetamol with me and so I took those. Not sure if it made much of a difference but maybe if I hadn't things would have been worse.

It was an absolute game changer having Steve with me. He was pushing the pace to keep me on track and without him there I know I would have slowed in the heat.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/steve_and_I.jpg

It was a mental issue more than anything. I was sore of course but I wasn't tired. I just couldn't see how I could keep this pace and not bonk out at 20 miles. I have done that so many times and it was the fear of facing that again that was tempting me to slow and save energy.

Although the calf was sore I don't think it really slowed me. It was more of a worry than a hindrance. It was constantly on my mind that it may pull at any moment and that would be it.

By far the biggest problem was the heat. Whilst it did cloud over more as the race progressed what we gained from the shade we lost with the humidity. I've never poured so much water over me to try and stay cool.

And because of the heat I was drinking more. This was starting to upset my innards. Every time I put something in (be it a gel, jelly baby or water) it repeated on me. I didn't feel nauseous but it felt like I was on the road towards it. I voiced my concerns to Steve and he said, "if you're sick then so be it, you'll probably feel better afterwards" image

By the time we got to mile 16 I was feeling a little bit better. We passed Mrs Malcs and Gareth and James' wives and got a great lift from that.

We then hit the infamous underpass. It was a lot longer than I thought it would be and very warm and stuffy in there. It was also incredibly dark - you really had to focus to make sure you didn't trip,on anything. Then came the most bizarre thing of all - they had a blummin' disco down there. No word of a lie! Flashing lights and frickin' laser beams. I decided to save my moves for another time and just focused on running. I'm sure I saw Steve break into a moonwalk at one point thoughimage

• Options
    Loving it so far Malcs, just the thing before I head for the VMLM expo en route to work.

I don't think my lungs would have liked Paris much.

Thanks Mr P, I must have been frealing out more than I realized as I've spotted your photo again too. I'm coming from a B&B just down the road on the Lewisham side, so will be all turned around, but will try to say hello.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Exiting the tunnel was like surfacing for air - such a relief!

Shortly after we passed Isabel's sister who gave us a massive cheer which was great. Then we saw Sam RW and Dan on the equivalent of Boris bikes. Dan had his camera out and managed to film us for what seemed like quite a long time. I was aware of this because his bike had an incredibly annoying squeak that just grated on me. Well, we think it was the bike squeaking but it could have been Danimage

Approaching 20 miles and my energy levels didn't feel too bad. Steve announced that it was merely a 10K race from here. The watch showed that we were still on track but we'd had to push it a bit over the last few miles and I was hoping it hadn't taken too much out of me.

We'd been constantly overtaking for a lot of the second half and this was a real mental boost. People were dropping off pace all over the place. The water stations were now quite chaotic as people panicked to grab water. With so much going over people's heads the ground was wet and slippy. Bizarrely they have fruit at the feeding stations so people were dropping orange and banana skins onto the road. I saw one guy go flying on a wet orange skin - crazy!

Steve had very kindly grabbed water for me which meant I could just focus on staying on pace. Another selfless act as he really was at risk of colliding with dehydrated zombies or banana skin surfers.

In the final stretch through the bois de boulogne we really had to focus. We did a lot of weaving to get through people. Many were slowing to a walk at this stage and there was always the risk of some random person trying to cross the road in the middle of the race.

My quads were completely mashed by this point. I don't remember ever feeling it so bad in this part of my legs before. However, they were still moving and I thought to myself that if I just take the pain I can keep going at this speed. I had Minni's words in my head at this point: "just don't be s**t" image

When 24 miles came up I knew I was going to make it home but the time was still a concern. I knew I had time but I couldn't drop the pace. Unfortunately it had been a while since the last water station and I was gagging for a drink. Thankfully there was one more before the end and it was a life saver. I took a big gulp. I knew my stomach wouldn't be happy but it was essential I got it down.

At the end of mile 26 Steve bade me farewell telling me to see if I could pick up and do 3:28. I could hear the crowds cheering now and I kicked for home. It was a long 0.2 miles but eventually I could see the finish. Such a great feeling. I looked at my watch and I knew I'd done it. No, we'd done it, because this was most certainly a team effort.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/finish_line.jpg

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

As I crossed the line I saw MJKK coming towards me. He'd crossed just a minute earlier. It was so nice to see him and he was clearly over the moon. I'm just gutted that Triggg wasn't there too but we found out later he wasn't far behind us.

We walked up through the finish tunnel together and talked all the way. Then at the end we saw some of the Paris thread guys as well. It was a brilliant finish to the race.

When I eventually worked my way back to the Asics area they thought I'd got lost. Mrs Malcs gave me a big hug and then we made our way in to be greeted by all the others.

Steve was there and he certainly wasn't getting away with hug avoidance. I shook Rogers hand (he'd been back for hoursimage ). He'd totally nailed sub 3. I'd been away so long that James had managed to sneak in ahead of me - I was a bit gutted to miss him finish but it was wonderful to see him beaming having comfortably cleared 4 hours. It was such a great moment.

Once I'd had time to recover, questionably squeaky Dan grabbed me for a post race interview. No idea what I said but I know I did a lot of smiling image

Then it was back to the finish line to see Isabel come through and decimate her target time. She did absolutely brilliantly.

However the prize for sheer balls goes to Gareth. He'd had a lot of bad luck with his training and with the longest time target he was always going to be out there for the most time. In those conditions that's really tough and I think we all had a tear in our eyes when he came home.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/10155337_10153994235875557_6936718694001851819_n.jpg

/members/images/448713/Gallery/BknuoykIgAAkAx4.jpg-large.jpeg

After a few group shots that was it. We headed back to the hotel to change and then it was out for dinner. Three courses of the finest French food and yes, the odd beer or two. All this had previously been cleared with Ruth of course image

I'll leave my summary and countless thank yous for a separate post (yes there is more waffling to come). Needless to say it was an amazing weekend in Paris, one that I'll remember for a long time to come.