Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub-5 Gareth

Comments

• Options

Cant agree more with Tricialitt, if you are not feeling well take the time off until you are better. there is still loads of time left to train.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Marathon plans are definitely a roller coaster! I agree with above comments, don't fret.

My foam roller was put to good use last eve as my calves n glutes were a bit sore, but I got out today for a swift 5 miles and all is good!

• Options

if he doesn't run 10 miles today at marathon pace then sack him and bring in the reserve..........

only joking image.take care and rest if you need to .its still early days.....

• Options

tricialitt: I know. I'm just annoyed. After the buzz of yesterday's parkrun I'm a bit frustrated.

born: Yeah - I did. But I will be running tomorrow.

jenf: Thanks. It's only week 2. I'll report back to Sam anyhow on the week.

seren nos: I wondered when someone would say that. I have rested today. Going to eat something now and hope it stays down.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Gareth - sorry, bit late coming on here. Just wanted to say it was great to see you again on Saturday. Very well done on the PB! More importantly, congratulations on not succumbing to the bacon sarnies like I did image

Can't believe you've been hit by the lurgy though - that is terribly bad luck. It will pass though so don't panic as everyone else has said. I hope you're feeling better soon. Take it easy and don't rush back into things.

• Options

I think the hardest part of running is knowing when you should rest and when you should battle through..this is with illness and with niggles...........

best to err and have an extra day oe some easy days  if not sure of recovery.....

• Options

b.t.g.s: Well believe it or not I had food and it stayed down. I feel a lot better this evening. Not quiet well enough to run 10 miles before the new week begins but maybe the start of a new week tomorrow will bring results.

Malcs: Ahhh the bacon sarnie - I'd held off saying anything on the forums until you did. It was a nice cup of tea though.

seren nos: Indeed it is. Frustrating.

• Options

Good evening Ruth,

Here is my weekend food as you requested:

Saturday:

• Breakfast (7:30am): Oat So Simple Porridge Pot (due to running a parkrun at 9)
    • Lunch: Two boiled eggs with two slices of toast and marge
    • Tea: two chicken skewers with chips and onion rings (My Dad's birthday meal). I did have one pint of Carling just to celebrate with my Dad.
    • Drinks: Tea and coffee (decaf) through the day. Also one Lucozade sport drink during the afternoon

Sunday (was sick overnight):

• Breakfast: Two slices of toast with jam (no marge)
    • Lunch: Bread roll with 4 oven chips
    • Tea (20:30): Turkey curry
    • Drinks: Loads of water, another Lucozade sport drink, decaf tea and coffee

Despite being sick on Saturday night I didn't feel like it was a 'lurgy'. My Son had the same symptoms on the 23rd December - sick twice and then it was gone. So I was confident that I would not be ill again.

Ruth - if you are reading this, I am doing an online Asda shop this very moment. image

• Options

Welshgje. Can you hear sirens in the street, the sound of boots running up to your front door.Loud  insistent knocking.

Fruit and Veg police !!!

• Options

b.g.w.s: Yeah I know I need to eat more fruit and veg. 

Latest Runner's World magazine arrived in the mail this morning. There we are in all our glory. First of the Asics stories. I've even quoted.

• Options

For those following, here is my 3rd week training plan:

WEEK THREE w/c 30 Dec (approx 23M)

• Mon 3M easy???
    • Tue 5.5M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1 mile at 10km pace with 3 min walk/jog then 1M jog???
    • Wed Rest???(New Year’s Day)
    • Thu Circuit training
    • Fri 3.5M inc 6 x 30 sec hill reps at threshold effort with jog recoveries???
    • Sat Rest
    • Sun 11M on flat route, aiming for 2nd half faster than first half (very easy easy)

Hopefully I'll have Ruth's diet advice this week as well. Got to find a nice hill now for the Friday hill reps. Let's hope I can keep healthy. 

• Options

Morning

Welshgje - pleased to hear you are feeling better, but don't overdo it today!

I have battled the wind and rain this morning, managed 4 miles, felt more like 40!

Have a good dayimage

• Options

MadWelshWoman: I was supposed to run 3M at an Easy pace of 10:30-11:30m/m this morning so I got out in the wind and rain and ran a 3.56Mile run with an average pace of 10:26m/m - a bit too quick but not that bad. I tried to keep it as close to 10:30 as possible, hoping to build on the buzz from Saturday's PB.

Even though I was ill over the weekend I did feel fresh and the weather was certainly fresh.

On other news, I weighed earlier (after reading James' thread) and discovered I was now 84.8Kg (remember at Asics I was 85.3Kg) - so some weight loss over Christmas.

Training done for today. Have a nice day everyone.

• Options

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

You definately seem to be at the faster end of Sams  pacing times she has given you. I suspect i may have to stay at the slower speeds.

One week to go for me, before i start your programme, so hopefully another 15 easy miles to log this week.

Glad it is you that has to be honest about what you have eaten on line and not me .Me i only eat salad, honest. image

Surely its only on a runners world forum that can you find people weighing less after  X-Mas.

Good luck with the 5.5 tomorrow

Mine would read  

• Options

Evening Gareth

Thanks for all the information. It would appear if you continue to eat as you are you may struggle to do the high mileage week, are you still losing weight on a weekly basis? Do you find yourself eating very large portions at night because you are hungry? I agree you do need to keep the weight down but this will probably decrease even if you eat more as you will be doing a lot of running. Could you give me more details on how you make your evening meals? 

In regards the herbalife . In my day to day job I have to be very aware of supplement use because our athletes are regularly drug tested but my thoughts on the product are this: 600ml of skimmed milk costs about 45p and has 210 kcal, 30g of carbs (same as a large banana) and 20.4g protein (2.5 eggs) the herbalife 24 rebuild strength has 190kcal, 18g carbs and 24g protein and costs a lot more so when you come in from running a pint of milk in my view is the better option but the herbalife does a similar job (minus the extra carbs, the extra protein will not make a difference to your recovery as there is enough in the milk). For both you would need to add a little extra carbs to increase this to nearer 50g of carbs after intense sessions and long runs but also you should aim to have 10-20g of protein (dairy is probably the best protein option believe it or not for recovery protein due to the whey in this). If you wanted to use the herbalife as a recovery drink after hard or prolonged run you could but milk would actually do a better job, cost less but only 20kcal more but you get more carbs!  I would use the milk.

Let me know your thoughts on the above and I will be in touch after the New Year, likely Thursday. Have a good one with the family! I also have a three year old boy so know exactly how it is with food and eating with the family!  

• Options

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for getting back to me. Some interesting points. I've not followed the Herbalife meal supplements since October when I hit 13st 6. Ive stayed around that weight due to the running and circuit training.

Large portions - I've checked here at home and I wouldn't say we have large portions of anything but I do love my food. I'm not quite sure what a portion is. I often eat supper around  9/10pm because I am peckish. I think it's because we have tea so early as a familt (5-5:30pm). If we have food later in the evening once Gwion has gone to bed then I am not hungry. If I run around 8ish then I do find myself hungry before bed. It doesn't help being a late settler - often in bed around 11:30/12.

I take your point regarding Herbalife. I think it did it's job when I needed it but am not sure whether I will ever go back. When you mention milk as a similar product would you recommend full fat (yuck), Semi Skimmed (ok), or Skimmed (my fav). We only drink skimmed milk at home. Are you saying that if I run a 12 mile on Sunday then 600ml of skimmed milk will be okay as a recovery drink?

Look forward to hearing from you on Thursday. One of the areas I've been looking forward to is dietary advice. If you need my personal email or mobile then do get in touch via direct message on this forum. Otherwise my twitter is @welshgje

• Options

Morning

Welshgje - sounds like your training is at a good pace, I am a lot slower then you!

The nutritional advice is very interesting, I will stick to the skimmed milk I think!

Hope the 5.5 goes well todayimage

• Options

I like Ruths advice.........after my long runs I do like a milkshake made up of milk and a banana and a spoon of honey.......seems to hit the spot ....

pleased to hear you are feeling better.........your long run is nearly half your weekly mileage at the moment.......that seems high to me .is that going to be the same all the way through

• Options

Bot confused with today's training (being a bit thick perhaps). Here it is:

Tue 5.5M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1 mile at 10km pace with 3 min walk/jog then 1M jog??

So I get the 1M jog then the 3 x 1 mile at 10km pace - but do I then do a 1 min walk between each 1mile at 10km pace? That's how I read it but I might be wrong.

• Options

Hi Gareth - it will be 1 mile at 10k pace, then 3 min walk/jog - repeated 3 times!
    if it was in brackets it would be easier to decipher image
    e.g. 1 M jog, then 3 x (1 mile at 10k pace with 3 min walk/jog) then 1M jog.

gotta love intervals! image

• Options

Yeah - that's what I did in the end. Ran it off road as well on the trotting track. Went okay but I'm a bit tired today as my little one was up three times during the night. If he's up - then we're all up.

• Options

Second stupid question of the day - the 600ml of milk Ruth mentiones - all in one go after a run or throughout the day?

After my run just now I've taken on 600ml of skimmed milk. I don't mind - I love the stuff but is that right?

• Options

Hi Gareth, just back from a lovely, though slightly windswept Devon, in time for NYE celebrations! GREAT news on your parkrun PB - and on clocking your fastest ever speed, that's something to build on for sure...

A few people have observed that you are running at the higher end of my pace guidelines - so just to mention I'm happy with that - I don't see that as a reason to change them - YET! I want to allow for the fact that you are doing greater overall volume (bearing in mind that volume includes both amount (mileage/time) and intensity... don't want to make you run faster and further all at once).

Is the hamstring still holding up OK? Hope so - it bodes well that the faster running of the 5km didn't irritate it. I assume that you didn't manage to do the long run of 10M, what with the lurgy and all? If so, you might want to limit the long run this week to 10M rather than 11 - see how you feel after this week's training.

Seren Nos - hi, good observation that Gareth's long run makes up approximately half of his weekly mileage. Exactly right! That is deliberate. You'll often read that the long run should comprise maybe 25 or 30 % of your weekly mileage - but this simply isn't realistic for most non elite runners as it would either mean doing far too much mileage for current ability/experience/necessity or doing far too short 'long' runs. For example, even if you were doing a fairly reasonable weekly mileage of 30 MPW, you'd only get to do a long run of 7.5-to 10 miles. Fine at the moment perhaps, but by mid Jan, it would be a major problem if training for a spring marathon. You've hit on one of my bugbears with this!! That is, elite training advice (Pfitzinger and the like) being 'extrapolated' for recreational runners. It just doesn't work, IMHO... Another example: your long run should be 20% slower than your goal MP. Well fine, if your goal pace is 6 7 or even 8 minute miling - but once you get to 9.30, 10 or 11 minute miling, you'll find yourself walking or shuffling to achieve such a slow pace. Hope this makes sense - happy to discuss further image

• Options
    What? I'm not classed as an elite runner? image

**** Happy new year everyone ****
  • Options

Hi Welshgje, I would guesse that the milk can be drunk at the one sitting though I am sure Ruth will letl you know on Thursday. Her answer about the herbal life V,s milk was a real eyeopener and very well explained.

Happy New Year All

• Options
    Btgs: yes I agree with you about Ruth's answer.

Happy new year to you as well.
  • Options

Hi all, happy new year, and just to clarify, I am confident that Ruth did mean drink in one sitting and not throughout the day...

Back to the office tomorrow so taking advantage of a day of indulgent TV, lazy dog walk and rare easy run with my superfast OH image

• Options

thanks Sam ....image

• Options

Happy New Year everyoneimage Have an amazing 2014 and enjoy your running image