Options

My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Comments

• Options

No I'm sure holidays aren't in the Asics contract and  I think even christmas should be banned (other than to do more running)

CC2 - not sure you really should be doing your two longest runs back to back?

I had a xc today at Wimbledon and thought it was going to be horrendously wet and though ground very wet in places, the rain wasn't too bad during race and only poured afterwards. Have done a 17 and 18 on two previous Sunday's but may do less tomorrow.

• Options

Good to see the training schedule up.image

• Options

steve,  I thought that last year they actually specified no holidays on the original entry form as well as having to make all bootcamps..........I seem to remember that the year before a thread had problems with one candidate going on holiday mid training and had trouble training and posting....

I presume that they changed their minds for this year.......

I can see the point though as we are on day  7 of the training and have no idea of any paces or breakdowns of any of the runs so far..........apart from yours.......

I usually enjoy following the fast threads as it still amazes me  of the sessions they do and I love the discussions about the different interval sessions and speed...

• Options

We'll be expecting a mighty long and detailed post when Roger gets back then! 

Steve, probably not, but needs must. It's the County Champs in 2 weeks time. Actually it was fine, and parkrun came out rather faster than intended as well. I didn't have any idea what pace I was running at since I only had distance showing on my watch. I ran 21.45 on a very windy and approx 40m overdistance course (they had to reroute due to groundworks). That was miles 6-9 ish, so slap bang in the middle. Rest day today and marathon training starts tomorrow. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Maybe doppyashton could step in while Roger is away.... image

• Options

Minni, I vote we keep her on our thread! 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good thinking!  

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

I think he is way on holday but I think he said he thought he might be able to stay in contact

Wow, just wow. Unbelievable.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Its holiday season, he might be at family, doesnt mean he wont be training.

• Options

I'm sure he was still intending to train but maybe he couldn't get the internet connection.

I managed a 16 this morning at a steady pace but felt yesterday's cross-country in both first 2 and last 2 miles.

• Options

Could be worse, remember a few years ago when we had a runner but no coach on the thread, and when Bud did finally make an appearance he'd clearly not actually read any of what had gone on while he was AWOL. I wonder what became of poor Upsy Daisy...

We'll just have to entertain ourselves until he's back in the land of technology. 

• Options

bridget was also on her own without Bud for a while ...image

But it looks like Isabel must have gone on holidays with Roger.......but then she goes away on business a lot from a previous post where she doesn't have internet access. so she could just be working.

At least we have Steve's runs to keep us going and the other 3 are supplying us with details of their trainingimage

• Options

Ugh, just seen the forecast for tomorrow (aka my first marathon training session). 27mph wind with 44mph gusts and hail showers. Can anyone lend me a crash helmet and ski goggles?! Run 1 is supposed to be running up the muddy hills on the Town Moor.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy I'm a bit further north at a bit higher up.  I'm expecting my first marathon session to be in blizzards. Damn.

• Options

good luck CC2 - don't worry about the pace -  for me just easy jog tomorrow though day 1 of 16 week schedule.

I was supposed to be taking nephews/nieces to Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park which won't be practical in the heavy rain

• Options

Steve - just seen on news that winter wonderland is shut today, so maybe you'll have to take them Christmas shopping instead. image

Managed 18 yesterday at 7:45s, although last 3 under 7:30 and resisted urge to go faster. 

Looking forward to following Roger's plan and progress, although decided rest day will be Monday not Friday if not racing.

• Options

Thanks Rob - good run - - wasn't going because of rain but still going out,

• Options

Still no Roger? 

I went out early and avoided the worst of the weather I think. I hate those hills on Newcastle Town Moor, yet I've made myself run up the ruddy things many times now. Sometimes I do doubt my sanity. I wonder how Minni got on even further North...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I went out before light speedy to avoid the wind and rain but got caught out by the black ice instead. Ended up off road so a very slow run! 

I feel for you on the TM.  I had a horrific run in a storm on Saturday. Progressive 13 miler starting easy and ending faster than HMP.  The last 4 miles were epic and finally I had to give up and end it off road because I was struggling to see cars, which meant they probably couldn't see me. 

But, that's one of the things I strangely like about winter training. We don't let the weather beat us and when we line up in Greenwich, on a warm spring morning in 16 weeks time, we'll be stronger for it.  

That's what I tell myself! 

• Options

Winter miles make marathon smiles, or something equally twee.

• Options

CC2 - I had a similar ParkRun experience to you this weekend, and not too far from your neck of the woods either; I did the Chester-le-Street Riverside ParkRun, also re-routed because of flooding. The diversion took us through some pretty boggy fields, making it more like a cross country race! I ran 19:46, which is probably at least a minute slower than I might've expected to run in better conditions.

As with many of the others, today was day one of my 16-week programme for VLM. A rather wet and windswept 10 miles, at just under 7:20 pace. As has been said before, feels good to have overcome the temptation to stay indoors; hope we all reap the rewards in the spring!

• Options
    Hope everything is ok with Roger, although it seemed a bit abrupt just going off and not saying he'd be away? Anyway, interested to know how he is getting on, especially over the Christmas break

I think I will probably miss a couple of runs on xmas eve and xmas day, but hopefully it won't be too bad. Did a 15 mile XC run on Sunday which was tough on the legs, but strangely enjoyable.

Looks like your training is gping well Steve.
  • Options

feel guilty as didn't run today - did a few miles on bike but it wasn't the weather that stopped me, which was horrendous here, but family committments and hopefully can now make up for it with hard session tomorrow.

• Options

Ah, I was considering Riverside for a tempo effort next Saturday. Maybe not then!

Just count it as your rest day Steve!

• Options
    Know the feeling Steve. I think marathon training is always a balance of commitments. 16 weeks out of anyones life is always a challenge to hit all the training especially at Christmas! But I do believe you can find windows of opportunity and find the right balance. I have a wife and 2 kids so it's always difficult to find the right time. But the beauty of running is you can put your running shoes on anywhere and anytime and just go out.
  • Options

Hi, sorry about the radio silence, I am on a well earned holiday, not from the running you will be glad to hear, training plan is going well, I switched my long run into last Thursday as I knew I would not get it in on Sunday I did do a 5 miler on Sunday and Monday I have to find a 200 m section of road to do the 16 by 200's today, hopefully the roads are not too slippery. Have a great Christmas everyone, happy training

• Options

Don't mind us Roger, we're entertaining ourselves. Do drop in and give us some detail at some point though, won't you? We might get bored otherwise!

7 supposedly easy miles for me this morning, but it was blowing a gale and I nearly got taken out by gusts on a number of occasions. Still, could be worse, it's snowing horizontally now.

• Options

Good to hear Roger has been training ok and hopefully more detail to follow.

Did hill session this morning (as Crystal Palace track shut this pm) and well over 20 from club in group and I probably benefitted from day off as felt much sharper and fresher than when doing similar hill session on Thursday

• Options

You see! I told you it was a rest day.

Why was the track closed? Was it flooded or do they think people don't use leisure facilities in their leisure time?

• Options

track closes early both today and new year's eve so it's hill sessions for this and next week