Options

The 2014 Marathon Thread.

Comments

• Options

NP, sorry, you misunderstood me! It wasn't 4th place, it was my 4th fastest 10k....! blimey, 4th place would have been about 36 mins!

Good luck Nigel - keep in touch here and we'll nag / support / cheer you on as required!

• Options

Welcome NM TM SGW and Laudiimage

Which marathon are you targeting NM?

Scotland not quite woken up after yesterday and I'm actually off today.image

you'll still be back to Llanberis way before me, Jason!image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Welcome  Nigel, Tim, Stuart.

Tim good luck with the sub 4image you will get loads of support on here.

Nigel most on here use Fetcheveryone to record our training, it's free and a great way to see how you are progressingimage

Treadmill running Stuart something I used to do quite a lot of, thankfully only now and again nowimage

Jason the decorating is all down to the practice I had for real in the house before we moved inimage thats some racing for next year mate, nice running yesterdayimage

IJ sorry mate but you can always dreamimage.

OH thought you might have done a New Years Day swim, I stopped off before yesterdays race in Carnlough and was asked if I was doing the swim, I know i'm mad but not that madimage

First run of the day done 5 miles easy out again later for another 5image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Blimey, welcome to all the Newbies image

3rd rubbish run of the week for me today- 5M recovery turned into a 2M hobble. Left calf wasn't playing ball at all and i ended up aborting as things started to get more uncomfortable. I suspect 11M of headwind and being pulled around all over the place yesterday could have nobbled me and just hoping plenty of stretching today will cure it.

And my traditional January bout of illness is on schedule. I think maybe that's another reason i've struggled this week with it lurking below the surface ... i did wonder why the mojo wasn't there and i've been so shit after a XMAS break

• Options

[quietly dreaming away for a 36 min 10k..... ahhhhhhhh!]

• Options

No NYD swim as on on call + full of a cold (although 3 of our regular group were out)
    Almost shaken off cold now so heading out for run, hopefully with more umph than Monday

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Jumping on board for this thread.....Hello all image *waves*  

Hoping to actually get to the start line this year for Brighton, and would love a sub 4, fingers crossed my body plays ball.

10miles for me this morning in the Sun, can't actually remember the last time it wasn't pishing down so it was nice to stock up on some vit D - roll on Spring please.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF plenty of time to get some quality long runs in

Mathschick sensible strategy - slow and easy build up

Paul well done on the easy 6m

Fiona well done on the hill work.

mace that sounds like a really tough 11m yesterday.  Sorry about today's run - hope you clear the calf and lurgy quickly.  Are you still using a HRM?

OH good luck in shaking the cold.  Mine's getting better now too...

Stuart nice gym and swim again

Stewart super 14m MLR - great way to start the yearimage

IJ well done on the hungover 10kimage

MG good run yesterday - nice tempo pace

NP great running at ROTG - I saw the course profile on Fetch !!  Nice easy 5m this morning

Laudi and Nigel welcomeimage

Tim welcome and well done on the 10k.  Good luck with the sub4 - plenty of good advice on here

Jason wow that's some race calendar

Stu good news and well done on the treddie 5

Lisa welcome imageand nice 10m

---

OK no specific marathon plans yet as my A Race is my local half in March, where I'm aiming to beat 1h30 (current pb 1h34).  If I recover well I'll enter a late April marathon (maybe Dusseldorf), aiming for 3h2X (current pb 3h34).  Then Budapest in October.

9m easy on road this morning, 71%max HR, 9:20mm.  HR and breathing getting back to normal at last.image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Welcome more new folks. image

mace sounds like a rest will do the lurgy and calf a lot of good. Take care.

I hope your run went well OH.

NP I recall all those treadmill runs of yours. image

Very impressive list of races jason but not as impressive as your track training marathon the other day in not much over 3 hours! 

One of my run group asked if I fancied a cycle this morning, about 30 miles. I turn up dressed like a prat (run gear adapted for the bike, head torch round my arm etc) Others with all the gear. image My first cycle since the Highland Cross in June so very wobbly and terrified. Cycled out the Loch Ness marathon route then round and back to Inverness which appeared to have been misplaced. 45.71 miles and I have reps to do later.

F

• Options

Hi all, I don't post very often but have decided to run Edinburgh Marathon this year to give myself something to aim for. 2013 was a poor running year for me, lots of injuries and total loss of mojo, so hopefully this year can only be better.

This will be my first marathon so will be a challenge.

Happy New Year to you all.

Wishing you all a great injury free running year.

• Options

London for me again. Somehow I've forgotten the pain of training for a sub 3hr!!

• Options

IJ, shame about not getting a PB, well done with the 4th place

MG, 7 @ 7's nice image and you deserved a beer after that

NP, well done with the race, glad it went well

Laudi, Nigel, KevinW, KevinC welcome image

Tek, nice run good that the HR is normalising

Jason, good to have you back, you're going to be busy image

Mace, not been a good week so far, hopefully the lurgy will be out of the system in no time

OH, get well soon, and I hope the run later goes well

Lisa nice 10m run, enjoy the sunshine while it is here

Fiona, Great cycle this morning, hope the legs survive the reps later

---------------------------------------

4 miles easy this morning got myself a new pair of trainers so had to give them a outing image

• Options

Stewart - Good running again today. Always nice to have some new trainers.

Nigel, Tim, Kevin W & Kevin C - Welcomeimage

Fiona - Nice bike ride earlier, hope the run goes as planned!

Tek - Nice to see the HR sorting itself out. Your first half of the year seems very similar to mine.

Lisa - Hi, and well done on the 10 miles today.

Mace - Hope the illness clears up

Jason - That's a crazy race listimage

NP - Some more good running there!

OH - Hope the run went a bit better than Mondays!

------------

7.3 @ (a bit quicker than planned) 8:41

Felt ok, all things considered. I think I may start on the P&D 12/70 schedule from Monday. Even though it's 13 weeks to go, that gives me the chance to have an easier week round the Inverness half. I don't plan to run as much as 70 miles either. So it's not really the P&D schedule, more some lazy knock off version...

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Hi both Kevins image

A plan is a plan Stuart image 

Stewart what sort of trainers? 

Six 400m reps done. Grass very slippy and dark by the time I managed to move off the sofa. So a very short session, only 3.5 miles, and slower than they should be - now that's properly lazy Stuart!! 

F

• Options

Hi KevinC and KevinW

10 D&D in bright but cool weather - felt much better than Monday image

• Options

Wow! This is an active forum. Think I might struggle keeping up with this one, who is who and who is doing what! Should be a good one for the next 15 or so weeks leading up to London.

Thanks for all the kind words of welcome and the individual comments.

Going out for a steady 4 miles soon then rest day tomorrow. Easy 3 on Saturday before the Cliveden XC on Sunday. If they don't cancel it. Anyone else doing it?

D&D = ?

P&D = ?

MLR = medium long run?

etc image

• Options

4 slow miles done, and 7 bike miles too. Fiona - sounds like you had a nice ride

Paul - yes to MLR. P&D = Pfizinger and Douglas (not sure about the spelling) - wrote the book Advanced marathoning - good book with good plans in

D&D - I think is Done and Dusted

• Options

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Off out shortly for an easy 4 or 5miles depending on how it goes. My fingers are crossed for some improvement on my last couple of runs.

• Options

Hi everyone,

Doing Brighton again this year as unfinished business (bonked at mile 17 and walked after that) from last year but used it as a training  run for an ironman later in the year. Now with a single focus let's hope I can stick to a training schedule!!! Long run tomorrow planned,

Kev

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi to the new folks & well done on everyone's training.

I've got my plans sorted out for the year.  I'm starting off with a beginners 5k plan and going from there as my first race is likely to be in May.

• Options
    Greetings Kevin G , Kevin W, Kevin C (this could get confusing ) , Lisa, Tim, Nigel, Stuart,

NP hope tonights run has gone well.

Mace the windy conditions certainly dont help things, hope the mojo returns soon, am sure it will.

Lisa well done on your 10, the weather forecast in pretty grim for the next few days.

Tek nice easy run earlier, you may want to consider Rotterdam in April as well, enjoyed it last year and nice and flat so good PB chance.

Fiona nice bike ride and rep work image

Stewart C nice 4, hope the shoes felt good, what did you purchase?

SM well done on your 7, glad the pace was okay

OH good 10 D&D ?

Mathschick nice easy 4 and bike ride

6 m steady tonight @ 8.46

Entered Stockholm end of May aiming for 3.20-3.25, current PB 3.29 and then Jersey early October and maybe Birmingham half shortly after if the legs can take it.
  • Options

D&D = done and dusted 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Welcome Lisa well done on your 10 milesimage

Welcome Kevin's all three of you

Teknik nice running and nice steady HR mateimage

SC LOL at the rip off plan

SM6 Nice pace.

Fiona thats a long way for your first bike ride in ages, well done on the session.image

MG1 nice running and sub 3;20 nice targetimage

OH nice running sirimage

Mathschick spot on with the P&D and D&Dimage

Paul a few on here doing Londonimage

Second 5 mile run of the day done, also did 1 hour in the gym stretching, rest day tomorrow so swim and easy 3 or 4 milesimage

• Options

SM, good pace for the 7 earlier, enjoy the LT run first up image

Fiona, you were only slower because it was wet and slippy, not to mention the long bike ride earlier, sauchony progrid ride 6, 

mathschick nice run and cycle earlier

OH, glad the run went well

MG, nicely paced run today, GFA target for the autumn?

NP,  nice double today enjoy the rest day tomorrow

• Options

Hello

Last year I ran the Brighton Marathon, the plan I used was on this website which I downloaded on to my Garmin Forerunner 2013, keen on using this plan again as its 16 weeks again and I want to beat my 2013 time of 3.31!

Can't seem to see it on this website anymore, any ideas where I can receive this again?
    Thanks

Will

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

That reminds me NP that I ought to go stretch...well done on the 2 runs today.

Stewart, thanks. image

Great that you are feeling better OH. 

Mathschick it was a really good cycle and stunning scenery down Loch Ness. I'm rubbish on the downhill (brake all the way) but seem to manage the uphills ok! 

Hi Kev G, sounds like your training will be more focussed this year. image

MG1 nice steady 6.

It is busy here! image Back to work tomorrow and running in the dark. image

F

• Options
    NP anything sub 3.25 will be satisfying for the spring campaign, after that it will be a bonus, just want to keep things realistic, will be only number Mara number 3 so plenty to learn image

Stewart first autumn target is I guess getting there fit and healthy will think about targets in June or July but not one for making big plans this far out.

Wil cant help on the plan front, but am sure with a bit of luck and some good training you can get a new PBimage
  • Options

MG - Nothing wrong with big plans! I've already got Loch Ness 2015 planned as sub 3, as I'd like to run 2.xx.xx while in my 20s. Only need to find 78 minutesimage

Fiona - Nice speed on the few reps that you actually doneimage Better than just staying on the sofa!

Will - Good luck, but isn't Brighton less than 16 weeks now?

Stewart - The 12/70 plan doesn't have the LT run til week 2. 15(i'll prob do 17) w/8@MP is the tempo in week 1.

NP - Nice 2nd run, and you have a similar plan to me for tomorrow.

HM - You got many races lined up this year?

mathschick - Nice training double.

OH - Good work on the 10

• Options

Fiona, like you I've really enjoyed running through the day, but will be back running in the dark next week too  image and you're right it is very busy in here

SM, first run of the 18/70 plan has a 9 miler with 4 @ LT, you're well ahead on the long run front are you going to add a few miles in the first couple of weeks?

MG, as Stuart has said nothing wrong with a long term target, hell my 5 year goal is getting a GFA place for London

• Options

Stewart - The 12/70 plan only has 1x20&1x21. I'd quite like at least 6x20+ in total (so 4 more) so I'll add a few miles to some of the non-MP long runs, while dropping one of the 'recovery' runs each week. I'm not doing doubles either. If I follow all the other runs my mileage will peak around 62ish, I think this is achievable.