Options

Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I'm a little concerned after the tweet they just sent that they might try forcing beetroot drink on to us! 

https://twitter.com/BaxtersBeetroot/status/514384129061056514 

• Options
    I know it's some way off still, but the weather forecasts look promising. Overcast, some light showers around and a fresh SW tail wind! Doesn't look like it will be too hot which is good.

http://weather.uk.msn.com/tenday.aspx?wealocations=wc:ukxx0250
  • Options

If you guys are driving up it will be worth going on the East side of LN (B862) as you'll drive the route and see for yourself how easy the hill out of Dores is image The start is just after the 30 or so portaloos stuck in the middle of nowhere!

Andy, I can do that! (the drinking bit not the sitting bit of course). Oh, once made myself some beetroot juice - neat it tastes like soil (don't ask how I know) but is nice juiced with other stuff.

Munter, a little rain and a following wind sounds good to me!

Jo, when he is a bit older (read trained) I might take him along some of our forest roads image Is yours a rough?

• Options

I don't think I want to know how bad the hill at Dores is beforehand!

• Options

I'm imagining all the hills as vertical. I will be abseiling the start and climbing Dores in true cliffhanger style. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. 

• Options
    Moi non plus! Won't be arriving until Saturday pm so the delights of Dores Hill can wait until I am lumbering up there on Sunday. Have mentally ( metally?) prepared myself for the fact I'll be doing some walking there. More time to enjoy the scenery, that's what I say. Mmm..really looking forward to that beetroot juice at the finishimage Doesn't it make you wee a funny colour??

Enjoying the dog related posts but sadly we only have a hamster and while she can fairly shift across the floor we've never got around to training her to heel...
  • Options

I'm not drinking that beetroot shit for anybody. But hog roast in a bun sounds good

• Options

Spicy beetroot soup, with lots of chilli sauce is tasty, but cold .... No thanks. 

I ran 2 miles today, I might be thinking 5:30 is a challenge if I feel the way I did tonight image might be joining the slow train image 

• Options

I work for the main sponsor and can tell you that the beetroot juice is verylovely indeed...

• Options

woohoo, MacP will have loads of free stuff for us then image

BT, 5:30? you doing those mind games with me again?

• Options

I will duck briefly into the forum to mind those who'll be around Saturday morning that Inverness parkrun is conveniently located by the marathon finish, and is run on nice soft grass to save those marathon legs. We start at 9.30am in Scotland, and I'll be the man in hi-viz shouting at you for the new runner's briefing and at the start.

I'm sure it has also been mentioned here that the A9 is no place to be right now around Gleneagles. Good luck on your journey if it's by car!

• Options

Ecce - she's a tricoloured short haired with potentially a bit of kelpie in her (australian working dog rather than scottish mythical beast). She's a rescue so not 100% sure, but she can run! Doesn't do well in the heat, but otherwise rarely has the decency to even look tired after an LSR! Her recall is pretty good anyway, but I find when I run with her she stays close by, I think there's a 'pack' element that comes out (she must think I'm a rubbish shepherd/hunter!) and she doesn't let me take shortcuts!

As for beetroot juice, you supposed to drink it before rather than after, something about nitrates improving stamina, not sure if it works, but even if its a placebo effect I think it makes a bit of a difference for long distance stuff. I also have alot of it in the garden!

I'm fine with the element of surprise for the Dores hill!

• Options

T-5

I have an admission. I actually like beetroot juice and will be drinking it in the days running up to the event.

Just did 4.5 miles at marathon pace and it felt good. Just need to maintain that speed/effort for another 22 miles.

So is the flag idea a go go?

Watch out for those pot holes and kerbs everyone. Don't wanna turned ankle now.

• Options

Yes I believe the Pirate flag is a go! Benign, will it be ready early enough for you to post a pic!?

• Options

Indeed it will, but not tonight. I shall post on Thursday image

• Options

imagewhat's happening? are we all meeting up for coffee before hand? or do you guys all know each other from other races? 

• Options
    8km of hill sprints tonight while being very careful not to turn an ankle, or impact too hard on the way down! Just one nice gentle 5km on Friday morning and that's me ready for the start line. Only a slight niggle is a achy achillies but it seems to ease off while running so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Off with work for a couple of days now so got my Loch Ness bag packed tonight. Very exciting. Just need to sort out my play list and I think that will be me ready.

Btw would be fun to meet some of you. Is the pirate flag at the start or before we get the coaches?

Safe journey for those travelling north over the next few days. If you can do avoid gleneagles early morning, late afternoon.
  • Options

Ric26 and Munter - The pirate flag will be at the start, probably somewhere near the coffee stand. I get on the bus at Drumnadroiget (or something like that) so hopefully I won't arrive later then the rest of you. It will be a yellow flag with the sign of the pirate

• Options

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!  Sore throat, stuffy nose and headache. My plan to do one more tiny trot before Sunday is now binned. My only movement will be between kettle and sofa. Rest, rest, rest

• Options

Ho no Nurse! Hope you get better in time. I've been popping immune defence vitamins and squirting first defence up my nostrils, since Monday when I felt a cold coming on. Some stupid man basically sneezed in my face in John Lewis on Sunday, I expect better from John Lewis customers!!    

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the colds and niggles. I'm sure with a few days rest you'll be fighting fit for sunday. I was thinking I'd try and avoid my kids (major disease carriers) for a couple of weeks, but I don't they'd be too happy about that!!
  • Options

this might be a stupid question, but do I need money at the start for a coffee? or anything else?

• Options

no shops at start! 
    Maybe need money for after finish line ...

• Options

I always put a tenner in my back pocket at races in case I need to get the bus to the finish! image

• Options
    +1 always worth having a tenner and a phone in a cheap ziplock bag
  • Options

Ok, so I'm taking a water bottle, cliff energy chews, phone, little camera, £10, ipod, mini jar vaseline.  Is there anything else I need.  Other than better training?

• Options

Sounds like you need a rucksack as well Pete.

I'll be taking a bit of cash the Dores pub will be open when I get that far, might stop off. I'm tempted to run with my phone but it's a beast of a thing and I'll only need/ want it if something goes wrong, seems a bit defeatist to carry it.

• Options
    A rucksack to carry them all image

I'm wearing a gel belt , that has a pocket which holds phone n money image
  • Options

lol...I always run with one of those lightweight small rucksacks.  This isn't really a race for me, its all about finishing, trying to keep smiling and taking lots of photos so that I can become a marathon bore on facebook and back in the office...

workmate: "what did you do at the weekend?"

me:"I ran a marathon, and here are 453 photos..this is me at the start and this is me..."

• Options

Everyone is a marathon bore in the immediate days after the race (unless you're doing them all the time I suppose), I literally wanted to stop people in the street to tell them about my marathon! I didn't have pics to back it up though, I would've been absolutely unstoppable if I had!!

Pete - Will you be wearing a tracksuit that you can discard, or will you take a foil blanket etc? Visor/cap (weather is supposed to be 18 degrees!)? Toilet roll!