Options

Valencia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thats a good convertion PC .... you have obviously been "Made" for the Marathon.... with only 2:45 slower than your PB through halfway you would think you can probably lower your HM time....  

• Options

10 days to go, how are we all feeling? Had my last long run tonight (13.1). What's everyone got in store for the weekend? Trying to squeeze in a few more miles for the legs, or resting up? I've got a flat 9 planned at mara pace.

• Options

Getting excited - should be out for my last long one today 8-10 miles with 3 or 4 at Mara ... but been too busy... will prob delay till tom morning.... going to do a 5km flat out on Sat and then a couple of 5 milers with 2 or 3 at mara to get the speed honed in... and pace dialled image   ....possibly get another sports massage on monday.... make sure that if you do get a sports massage its not too close to the race!

• Options

Im following the plan that no sensible marathon runner coach ever produced. My one annual 11 a -side University reunion football game!. It normally takes me about a week to recover from it image. HEavy grass pitch and studded boots. What could possibly go wrong……….

• Options
    Aargh! It was too much to expect that my marathon training would go to plan even just for one week! Did a couple of marathon pace runs Mon (7 miles) and yesterday (8 miles) just really trying to test things out and finalise my plan for the big day. Both seemed to go really well but then last night I developed pain at the top of my right foot (previous injury was in the other foot). The bit right where it meets my leg is painful to pressure and also on flex (ie when walking).

Feeling really downhearted - hopefully if I rest up it will at least be a lot better if not gone by Valencia - but am going to miss yet another week of training which I badly needed to get me back in the mental game for the big day. So very different to VLM (my only marathon so far!) where I didn't miss a mile of training - and the thought of that really kept me going when things got tough! Really need to believe I can do this :/
  • Options

All about the final week of taper now ... all about keeping things short and sharpness high. Did 7 miles today with 3 at MP... felt good ... but was more of a swim than a run! Absolutely bucketing it down here in Shef.

Nicole - is the pain from pressure from your shoes due to a high instep (arch)? If so I've had that issue and it was eradicated with a change in shoe.

Going to give parkrun a 95% blast tomorrow to guage overall fitness..... (it'll be a big confidence booster if a PB is achieved)

Eat and Hydrate well this week - am cutting out all sugary drinks / caffeine and alcohol (apart from the odd glass of wine image) ..... 

• Options

18:02 parkrun PB this morning .... think I pushed a bit too hard though - going to be sore tomorrow image  ....  so the speed is there - i guess will have to wait to see on Sunday as to whether the endurance is up to much

• Options
    Stone me if I have not had an actual email from the good folk of the Valencia marathon. They actually know I am doing this thing. Mixture of relief and disappointment that I have lost my best excuse for not toeing the start line. I hope everyone's feeling good and ready to give it s blast this time next week B-)
  • Options

So ready to go! Nerves and excitement already kicking in. Desperate not to put any weight on due to tapering as currently 3-4kg lighter than Madrid in April. Latest forecasts for Sunday look encouraging. 

• Options
    Great stuff - just eat telly healthy and don't over do carbo load
  • Options

I haven't received any such emails willrunforfood! Eep.

In time honoured tradition it's my taper and I've come down with a head cold. A little bit of coughing as well this morning but nothing too chesty - lots of rest, green tea and orange juice this week and hopefully I'll shift it.

• Options
    No email for me either - I've only ever had the one months ago checking about the T shirt size.

Better news today - my foot felt a lot better over the weekend and I decided to chance a short (5 mile) MP run this morning. Went ok, the foot felt a bit niggly during the run but (so far) feels fine afterwards. Will ice a few times just in case! Felt quite rusty so I'm glad I managed it. If all is well may do the same in a couple of days.

Banksy - not sure if it was my shoe, would be weird if it was as I've had these for quite a while? However they weren't my shoes I'm planning to wear in Valencia. Who knows image

Tmbrntt - hope the cold soon improves - plenty of time anyway image
  • Options

Great park run Banksy. As you say keep it sharp and short this week. Better to be at the start well rested rather than still recovering from a tough session. Not long now folks.

• Options

good grief, I also received my email from the organisers. astonishing.

• Options
    Didn't receive original mail (thanks for forwarding Bob!) but just received different one with my race number on ????
  • Options
    Me too, months of radio silence and then two e-mails in two days. Vamos!
  • Options
    If you follow the Valencia Marathon on Facebook you get about 3 updates a day. Not all of which have English translations but you get the gist. Remember race starts at 9:00am folks.

What do you reckon drinks and social at 4pm or is earlier better. It normally takes me a couple of hours to even think about eating or drinking after a marathon?
  • Options

Hope everyone is tapering well! 

ill be wearing my comrades Union Jack vest on the day so should be easy to spot! 

just away to do do 7 mile now with middle 3 at mara pace....

• Options
    Race no 1305 - woo - can't remember if we had to designate time on sign up I assume so. Have heard that Valencia can be a little crowded at first as streets quite narrow in places?

Just going to do a couple of 4 milers this week and moving houseimage .... Looking forward to the free beer.

Haven't decided yet but will prob be donning the Sheffield Triathlon Club vest
  • Options

Hi folks, late to the party, really excited for my first marathon now, just want to get there and get going. Loving all the social media stuff from the organisers, really feeling good. Will try to make it to Finnegans afterwards, but you'll probably all be done and dusted by the time I get there! Going to try to find the 4:15:00 marker man and follow him round the course. Running for Cancer Research so will have a purple vest on if you see a very pale (or red faced) blonde clearly English woman staggering about it is probably me! Buenos suerte a todos!

• Options

Hello Lucky and welcome. I certainly won't be finishing before 4:15 don't you worry! image 

• Options

4pm is good for me (although I may well stroll down earlier if the thirst is too insaitible) - I'll be wearing a hilariously non-descript blue tee during the race.

• Options

I will be wearing a Down's Syndrome Association vest or my club South London Harriers vest. image

• Options
    I'll have a bright pink T with NICOLE !Vamos! printed on in black image

Welcome Lucky- I'm hoping to sneak in just under the 4 hour mark IF everything goes to plan!
  • Options

Weather looks tolerable too. Even for a hairy mammal such as myself.

• Options

Thanks Tiddy! Glad I shan't be alone.

Do you guys have supporters with you? Trying to figure out where best to get my husband to go for optimum cheering! Would be nice if he had some other English people to talk to. 

Weather looks quite good, might pack the factor 50 just in case!

Beers at 4 in Finnegans sounds like an excellent plan.

• Options

Slightly concerned at the weather for Sunday, 11-14mph winds is not ideal! 

• Options

19mph+ headwinds in New York 10 days ago for the whole way, head down, plodded on and thanked goodness it didn't rain! In case I don't jump on here again before the weekend, safe journeys everyone, have a great run/race and I hope you get the times you deserve. x

• Options
    Hola de valencia, nice day today, sunny, some cloud, even a bit of rain. Expo is pretty straight forward (although a long way from the metro), the t shirt is a good one, now we just have to earn it! I hope everybody on here has a great race. Best of luck