Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Ah Eggyh73, the open road or train and a rucksack, SOUNDS GREAT. I know there's a pretty good train from Amsterdam to Berlin, at least there was in '92 when I went inter-railing around Europe. Then from Berlin to Prague, a bottle of Budvar was 8p! 8 pence!

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

8 pence! I've heard that pints of beer from Stockholm in the early 2000s were tipping the scales at an eye watering £4, so I don't think we'll be enjoying cheap pints in Sweden...Hopefully the Dam will be a bit cheaper!

I had a storming run yesterday, did just over 7 miles in an average pace of 9:11, but felt so strong all the way round, my lovely running buddy was apologising for trailing behind. Looking forward to the 19M on Sunday on my own, I'll see what I can do...

Speaking of trails, I just treated myself to some innov8 trail shoes for the Dorset Invader. V naughty, They are super pretty though. I mean. Technically brilliant. 

list fairy, I ma have already asked, sorry if I'm repeating myself but please can you add me and Mr KS to the London 10k on July 12th, and me to Dorset Invader marathon on July 18th? Thanks!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

orapidrun - I think it may be slightly more than 8p a pint these days. Although if that's your holiday criteria I thoroughly recommend Vietnam!

I'll decide what I'm doing after Stockholm. I could easily do a cheap trip in Europe if I do Amsterdam. I'd just be travelling by myself, so I can slum it in hostels or cheap airbnb places with my backpack.

• Options

I'm just looking at the video again - it's fantastic.  Sniff Sniff....

Just back from a stonking wet 15k Canal Race, Course du Muguet (Lily of the Valley - it's Bank Holiday here) and ran it in 1.15, 7 mins off last year, and FIRST OLD BAT home (V2F)  so am so made up.

It's been hacking down all day, so was pretty cold and wet, but that was good for me. 

Hope everyone has a nice long weekend planned.  Good running if you are, and have a good rest if not.

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Jimbob - cheers!  I'm destined for Berlin this year, so I'll be missing the fun in Amsterdam.  Might as well go PB hunting on the fastest course in the world, after all.  I think we'll both be at GNR, so I'll have the privilege of sharing the same tarmac as you there!

Onetit - brilliant stuff, no wonder you're buzzing!  That's a great time, and a massive improvement.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I'm swaying more towards Amsterdam than Dublin now.My wife doesn't really fancy Dublin.There does seem to be more for the kids to do and see in The Dam,tho the flight prices are double that of Dublin,currently sitting at ??100 per person,decisions decisions.

Only problem with Amsterdam is that the Glasgow half would fall in the taper period,two weeks before the marathon.Would I be able to give it my all in the half and still recover in time to be in top condition for Amsterdam?,bearing in mind Im not made of the stuff some on here are,I'm struggling to knock out 5 mile runs since my marathon 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭
    I suspect not, Jokey, but I think you already know that! Could you run it at MP and be content enough? I'm planning this for GNR, two weeks before Berlin.

I've been to Dublin loads and while it's nice enough, Amsterdam's clearly the place to be this year!
  • Options
    Joanna3Joanna3 ✭✭

Yeah Amsterdam is hot right now Jokey, although I'm obviously biased for Dublin! Largely because the dates just work well for me this year, but also because it's just a very friendly marathon. I'd love to get to Amsterdam this year but I've too much work-travel lined up and that leaves me wrecked, but I haven't yet signed up for Dublin so it's all to play for....definitely going to enter VLM ballot on Monday though. 

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Jokey, what meadower said re half 2 weeks before. If you go flat out it would be unlikely that you execute your best marathon as you would still have fatigue in your legs. Two weeks out I'd do no more than 10 of the 13.1 at marathon pace (probably less). With the first 3 easing gradually up to the desired pace. I'd find it hard not to "race" the half but if you have discipline you could make the session progressive. Do 4 miles easy, 4 miles steady and the final 5 at marathon pace. That'd be a sensible and beneficial workout 2 weeks out. My personal opinion is you need a half 4 or 5 weeks out to have a real crack at both.
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Meadower:I don't really fancy the idea of just 'running' a half marathon,would racing the 10k still take too long to recover.

Joanna:I quite fancy Dublin,as you can tell by my username I follow the green side of Glasgow.Ive met a few Irish over the years and I've always had a blast.For that reason I think Dublin would be great.I like my kids to be with me and from a quick google search there doesn't seem to be a lot to keep them amused.A trip to Dublin without the kids would probably be the best idea,I've heard they like a good swally over there.
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Jimbob:Cheers,I'm with you,I would struggle to hold back and probably Wouldnt enjoy it as much.
  • Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Racing the 10k 2 weeks out would probably be ok .... although I'd still err on the side of caution. With Boston I had the belief that my tune up races were done and out of my legs. I did a Parkrun 2 weeks before the marathon, that was not my finest performance but it doubled up as a nice short threshold run.
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I'll just give the Glasgow event a miss if I do sign up for Amsterdam,my marathon goals are more important than my half or 10k.

The Dublin marathon is 3 weeks after the Glasgow half so that would give me an extra week recovery.It would mean my last 20 mile run would be 5 weeks before the marathon as I would like an easy week before the half,would running the final 20 miler so far out have any effect on my fitness come marathon day,just trying to work out my option here,thanks
  • Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    I like to go 20+ 3 weeks out
  • Options

Busy sulking here!!! The video, which sounds amazing, simply will not open in Australia!!! Does anybody know a cunning trick to get round this problem?

( suggestions which involve long flights do not count!!) thanks!!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Charlie4 - you can download it form here

It's about 500Mb so may take a while to download

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jokeybhoy - I know what you mean about not being able to race a half. I couldn't turn up at a half and not go for it. I have a 10 mile race next weekend, three out from Stockholm, so I'm doing my 20 mile LSR on Thursday night.

A windy 18 miles for me this morning. Might treat myself to the new Avengers film tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• Options

Thank you!! Will do it over night!

• Options

Jokeybhoy - I ran Brussels Half Marathon in 1h30 a week before I did my first

• Options

.... [this could be boring] ....my first

• Options

Nope. RW website is having a tantrum.image

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Eggy/Tricky dicky:Im not made of the same stuff as you two tho,the fact eggy is running 18 miles so soon after PB at Paris says it all,I'm struggled to knock out 4 runs of 3-5 miles this week.If I opt for Dublin over Amsterdam I may just do final 20 mile run at 4 weeks out,have an easy week and race the half at 3 weeks out,then start a slightly easier than usual taper.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Orbutt - that video is brilliant! 

• Options

Try again -

• Options

• Options

OK, it's not a browser specific bit of cr4pness about the forum then. Jokeybhoy - don't worry about HM and Mara close together as long as you don't push too hard. Did a crushingly hard bike ride yesterday - 138kms inc. hills of 27% gradient. Ugh. Had to cycle down a section of road that had been closed to a rally car race - super scary.

• Options

PC - now that we've had Orbutt's wonderful video, would it be a good time for you to launch the 2016 thread, with just the text you suggested?

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    There's loads of us signed up ......
  • Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

and more to come image

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

List Fairy - When you've recovered from your own endeavours this weekend *well done!!* please can you stick me down for the Kenilworth Half Marathon on the 6th September? Thank you.