Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

I'm going for a swim after work HIAHS, will see you on the other side!

Hmm, cheese...

• Options

Hold off the search party, I survived KS! image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Well done on not drowning. I'll need to resume swimming next month for the triathlon I've got this summer. I've not been swimming for years. It's going to be messy!

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Hooray! Well done for not drowning!

I do breast stroke. I think I might need to re-learn front crawl, it's a bit quicker...

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Just come back from a 5 mile slow run before my half on Sunday.  It was horrible.  Sluggish.

Why oh why is my running so random?  Some days feel great, some feel horrible and I want to give up.  There is no pattern to it.  I'm not feeling the love for running today.

• Options

Oh I only do front crawl for that very reason, I want to minimise the amount of time I'm in there! I got in, did 50 lengths and got out, took me 25 mins. The problem with this is that I feel a bit cheated, it took me longer to get dressed than it took me to do the flipping swim, and I had to pay £4 for the privilege (and buy a new pair of goggles!!).

My swimming costume is also the most hideous thing and I need a new one, but I'm loathed to get it because the last time I 'started swimming' I went 3 times and then didn't go back for 7 months!!

• Options
    My foodstuff of choice at the moment is marzipan, rolled into balls of 100 calories each. But I'm running very slowly at the moment, for a long time.
  • Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Sorry your run didn't go brilliantly, kenno. I know you know this, but I'll bet you your run is completely different on Sunday. Rest up, eat well and enjoy the race! Are you doing Hackney?

HIAHS, it takes me about40 minutes to do 45 lengths, I reckon that's my money's worth, just about. It costs me about £2.50 and I have a membership to the uni pool. As an alumni, I get it for £2 instead of a fiver a month. I found that out two months ago, after being a member for about 60% of the time since I graduated ten years ago. Thanks, UEA! 

Get yourself a new cossie, love. Mine was about £20 and is quite pretty yet functional, speedo special. 

• Options

Running Rodent - I believe you could give Paddy Ashdown some tips on eating marzipan then, I specifically remember seeing him on TV last night saying he'd eat his hat if the polls were right, I think he's rather hoping it'll be a marzipan hat now that the results are in!!  image

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Thanks KeyserSuze.  I'm running Bracknell.  I looked at Hackney but Bracknell is easier to get to for me (and much cheaper).

Looking at my training for previous halfs I'm running nearly the same kind of times as my PB (I've only run 1 per year in October for the last 3 years) so I know it will be a decent run (maybe PB, but will be tough I think). I just hate the crappy feeling of a sluggish run, gets me down.

HIAHS I have always found with swimming that I can't get anywhere near the same intensity workout as I can with cycling or running, plus it's pretty dull IHMO.  I've only done it to make sure I can swim the distance of a triathlon and not spent much time actually 'training'.  I know exactly what you mean though, it's just not the best use of time when you could run for an hour instead and get more out of it.

• Options

Breakfast/race fuelling - personally, if I don't eat something in the morning, I just faint.  Nearly happened this morning when I was nil-by-mouth for the surgery.  During the race - my stomach seems to cope with gels rather well.  I've been doing one every 30-45 mins during LSR's only (anything over 13 miles) but as I'm really slow, I end up having to start with a veritable utility belt of gels, to keep that up, so looking at reducing it.

Planning on completely revamping my training when I'm back on my feet.  Might need some help, if anyones willing.  It's going to be a bit longer than planned though, as they found a roughened kneecap and a tibia fracture as well as the meniscal tear.  To think I ran Paris with all that!  Runnign in 6 weeks....I hope.

HIAHS - seconding KS.  New cossie time.  I bought a lovely speedo one off wiggle for around £20, it's rather flattering, and has little shorts legs, so doesn't rise up and run the risk of cameltoe!!  Can send link if you like.  Love a bit of swimming for the joints. Do you water-run too?  I look like an idiot, but it's a lot of fun and seems to work muscles that don't often get work!

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Thanks for clarifying HIAHS, I'll be having porridge, beetroot juice, coffee for breakfast on Sunday for Leeds half marathon and taking a couple of gels and that's it.
  • Options

HIAHS - a marzipan hat you can eat as you go along? There might be a marketing opportunity in that. And you could hang little sausages off it, Australian-style, for when you feel like something savoury image.

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Not sure I should be posting on a page featuring ladies swimming cosies & cameltoes image, but ....

List fairy, would you put me down for The Liverpool Rock n' Roll Marathon on June 14th please ? image

Have a good weekend all, happy running

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I assume you know the male equivalent of cameltoe?

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Is it something to do with elephants ? (baby elephants !)
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Nope.  It's called Moose knuckles.  Hope I never see that!

• Options

Hahaha I've never heard that term Dannirr but I most certainly know what you mean! image

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    I feel a little queasy
  • Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Ha! Moose knuckle and camel toe, brilliant!

managed 45 ish lengths in about 40minutes yesterday, I can't keep track of the number of laps I do, ever! Think I'd lie to re learn front crawl, I'm not slow at a breast stroke compared to everyone else, but as soon as they switch to front crawl I'm left trailing. Not that it's a competition, of course.

i go karted this morning.  I'm not sure I enjoyed it, was quite scared for the first half. I was 16th. Out of 17. And 17 had to finish early as he was car sick.

good luck all racing and running this weekend! 

• Options
    KS - if your back down on the south coast any time soon and fancy work on the front crawl, gimme a shout. Used to be a swim instructor.
  • Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Brilliant, thanks Bettza! I think I need to work on my all round technique, my back was hurting yesterday and today my neck really hurts, a bit like I've slept funny!

I'll be back down your way for the Dorset Invader, woo!

• Options
    Hmm I'm at a wedding that weekend...would you go back on the Sunday via the m3? If so maybe we could rendezvous at the River Park in Winchester.....

No pain no gain though!
  • Options

Interesting discussion on food and gels. I have to admit only having gels for marathons or longer, but the vanilla ones offered on today's marathon were revolting, so I might have to get a belt or something to carry my own if I do that one again.

Agree on sleep, but I think that in the few days/night before, it's resting that counts.  I've done one challenge where (due to nerves) I didn't sleep at all the night before and still did OK.

How much stretching do people do after a marathon? I did a bit straight after, but am wondering whether I should (or can be bothered to) do some now, several hours later, which would involve moving from the sofa.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Hi RunClaire - re stretching, I reckon once you've cooled down a bit a good old stretch can't be a bad thing...... after a marathon just be kind to yourself though, nothing to yoga like!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

On stretching I don't do any more than I do for any other run after a marathon. One thing I've found that really helps me is to keep moving. I often go for a decent walk after I've showered and changed. The times I've felt totally fine the next day are the times I've walked plenty after the race.

I've had a fantastic day with Scott, Helterskelter and ATM. We where over on the isle of Cumbrae for the Millport 10 Miler. The weather was tropical. The company was fabulous. We had cake, ice cream, fizzy wine, coffee and chips like real athletes after the race! And to top that off I ran a 10 mile PB of 1:14:46. On the downside I am totally surnburnt, which shouldn't be possible on a small island off the coast of Ayrshire!

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

KS - I've always fancied go karting; I'm envious despite you not enjoying it too much!  I can't drive so I'll probably be awful, and I'm competitive so I'll be moody in that event, but I still want to give it a go!  As for swimming, I did 7 lengths of the 50m Commonwealth pool the other week and was shattered.  Really not a strong point of mine.

I'm getting better on the running front, though.  10k PB in Penicuik today, taking 2 minutes off the old one on a pretty challenging course.  Was relieved to see the finish line!

RunClaire - I'd go with the running belt idea...I know what I like and wouldn't want to trust the race organisers will have what I want when I want it!  I do a bit of fairly basic stretching straight after finishing races, but then becomes more about staying on my feet for a bit to stop me seizing up.  Sofa also sounds good, though image

Good luck in Liverpool, Nodster.  A mate of mine's heading down to it too, two weeks after he does Edinburgh.  I imagine he'll be in a spot of pain (these are marathons #1 and 2 for him!).

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Good to hear of your day Eggy, well done on the PB too. I do like 10 milers, got a couple of good ones down this way... must try your post race refuelling strategy !

Thanks Meadower, like many on here hardcore doing two so close. I ran the Wings for life World Run last week and got a fair distance, was planning on doing the half in Liverpool but thought what the hell, it's a long way to go for a half. First time in Liverpool for me :-S
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Nodster Liverpool is my home town and I ran it last year and got a PB. On saying that, it's got a couple of evil hills. 

The support running through the city centre is stunning but a bit quiet elsewhere. 

I was down to run it but I've been injured most of this year so I've stepped down to the half - which I'll hopefully be ok to do. Another weeks rest and then I'll see if I can run. 

• Options

So, I've got a sore foot, need some opinions please. 

I tightened my laces in a last minute nerves moment at the start of VMLM and think I rather over did the tightening. At the end of the race my foot was sore/ painful. Left foot, inside edge, just where the last couple of lace holes are on my shoe and further down the side. Quite localised. 

Two weeks later and it's still sore, despite no running and very limited walking. Cant manage any shoes that press on it eg trainers. Sometimes sore at rest. Worsens with standing and activity. 

Physio initially thought a muscle causing referred pain, but symptoms don't quite fit and it worsened after massage / acupuncture session. X-ray showed nothing. 

How much pain does a stress fracture give? I'm far from screaming. Still managing day to day life   Does it need an MRI or should I just continue with Physio? 

Thanks folks! Tim Tams if you got this far!