Options

Comrades 2015

Comments

• Options

Great thanks Marty74 image

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip about the Hilton Danirr.  It was too good to pass up so I will be deserting the City Lodge this year.  I would still recommend that as a good option that is a lot cheaper than the Hilton, secure and very well located.  

The start was easily walkable from City Lodge/Hilton/other nearby hotels last year.

• Options

Didn't think I was going to able to make it but looks like I'm heading back next year for my back to back & another crack at silver!!

will be coming by myself this time & will look to fly out the wed, then possibly fly to Cape Town on the Tuesday after the race for a couple of days.

I travelled with Egyptair this year & thought they offered good value for money. but will go for anything that offers good value & from a northern airport! 

I loved the Bellaire suites UNTIL I got my medal stolen so may opt for Blue water which is just down the road & similar price wise.

im bouncing around with excitement now & still 11months to go!! 

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Just totted up my expenses from last year:

Entry 105

Bus/coach to/from lhr 35

Lhr jnb 494 (Lufthansa)

Jnbdue 96 (mango,kulula)

Hostel single room 5 d bnb 145

Cash for taxis, grub etc 100

Airport shuttle to and from dur 9

All in ... 984

HTH
  • Options

Popping in to say hi.  I'm seriously considering Comrades next year - assuming I can afford it!!

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Hi Kaz.  Hope you can make it, it's a great race.

• Options

Thanks SAFER, Really like the fact as a UK entrant we get to meet Bruce Fordyce.

Bit of a small world. Speaking to a family member who I have not spoken to for a while and she tells me her best mate is an elite runner and still runs with Bruce, and if I was ever after any advice to give her a shout.. 

The dream for me is still alive. I'm putting in an hour most days and do 2 longer runs mid week and on the weekend and seems about 80K each week.

Thankfully no more aches and pains. Only seem to get stiff hip flexors after I do some miles on the bike.

Changed running shoes to something very minimal as the Gel nimbus 15 I was using were just too much for my simple feet and bio-mechanics. After changing I  almost instantly I noticed I was faster and quieter on my feet. Not sure how long running shoes are meant to last but I can see needing a new pair every 2 months at this rate!

I spotted this Comrades video this morning and actually cried a little.. Not sure why..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2FtwTJ_eY

• Options

Really great video zuluboy, really brings back the day and the emotions awesome thing to be a part of. Best of luck for next years race and see you on the start line.

• Options

Why am even looking at this threadimage I feel I do have unfinished business with the up run but have other ideas for next year

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Is it wrong to be thinking so much about next year's Comrades that I'm under thinking the 3 marathons I have before it?  (Albuquerque, New York and Tokyo!)

• Options

Dannirr There are those with a LOT more experience than me but if it helps I set my marathon PB as part of my training for Comrades in 2013. Didn't even think about it until half way felt good so went for it. May have been a different story if stood on the start thinking about it.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure when those races are Danni but I found that an autumn marathon did not compromise my Comrades training but a fast spring marathon PB put me behind a little.  I recall that one of the training plans advised not racing a marathon any later than early February.  Mine was a little later than that.  There are others who have run fast marathons later than that and performed well at Comrades but I think it was not the best for me.  I do marathons as part of Comrades training but normally at a comfortable pace only.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Thanks all.  I plan on racing the October marathon (aiming for 3:40-3:45 if the altitude doesn't get me), then taking NY (2 weeks later)  very easy as a friend wants to break 5 hours and I have promised to ensure that happens, and the  Tokyo is in Feb and I plan on making that a fun tour.

But I feel I am shortchanging them as I think more about Comrades, when really each event should be it's own and not merely Comrades training.  

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Sounds fine Danni.  There are only so many races of 26 miles or more that you can do as a hard effort.  I don't think that you are short changing these other races as you should still have a good experience at them.  I didn't race London last year or Boston this year as hard as I could because of Comrades and I had a great time at both, enjoying the crowds and the sights.

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I think when you get there you will enjoy them just as much.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I think that's correct.  I also have a 200 mile relay in August which should be loads of fun  - it's basically a party all the way  (http://vimeo.com/38071775).  

• Options

Dannie, video looks awesome, best of luck and enjoy!

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Dannirr - that looks fabulous. Need to find 11 other party dudes!

I may bump into you at Tokyo if I'm successful in the ballot (about 10% chance...)

• Options
    Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

No longer a runner myself, but this thread caught my interest as I used to live in SA as a kid and remember turning out as a spectator ( various points along Pinetown and Hillcrest area) and it was a massive event!

Just  wanted to say what a huge respect I have to all of you who have competed this and or about to do so in 2015 - just got back from SA last  Thursday after not visiting for many years and those uphill elevations you'll be doing next year are not for the faint hearted! Had a couple of days on the bike around 1000 Hills area and that was tough - and nowhere near to the marathon distance!

Big kudos to you all!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Would be great to see you in Tokyo Slow Duck!  

• Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Fido, I still desperately want to do it in 2015, but it will all depend on getting funds together!! Which hotel did you stay in for that price?

• Options

Thanks running rodent for letting me know about this site.

Im wanting to do this and was thinking as it will be my first comrades I should do it all through a sports tour company. I know this might b more expensive however all is done for you. Or do u think it is easy enough to do by myself. I dont have a clue about which hotel (are there ones near expo/start) and what flights are needed. I need to do a lot of research. What is qualifying time and how do u show u have done it.

I look forward to reading all posts and catching up with you all.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Stephen,

You really don't need a tour company - there is more than enough help here to get you sorted.

You can get all the race, expo and qualifying info here: www.comrades.com

As it is an Up run (Durban to Pietermaritzburg), the hotel logistics are a bit easier.  Almost any hotel in the downtown or beach area is within walking distance of the start. The "official" race hotel is the Hilton, but others have stayed at City Lodge, Blue Waters etc.

At the expo you can buy a bus ticket that will get you back to Durban after the race if you dont have your own transport.

My number #1 piece of advice - make sure you get there early enough (2-4 days) before the race to ensure you get plenty of rest.

• Options

Hi everyone - just catching up on what has been going on. Every so often I stop getting notifications about the forum and miss posts. Welcome Stephen - I agree no sports company needed - you can find out everything you need to know on this forum! Had a busy time since Comrades trying to run my way into the 100 marathon club before I'm too old to enjoy it!  As much as I love the hot weather I wouldn't mind a few clouds and even some rain for this afternoon as I have my next event starting at 4 pm! Talking about events does anyone have an entry to the Bournemouth marathon that they won't be using? Transfer is permitted - probably a bit early yet for non-starters but would be grateful if you could keep this in mind. 

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I steyed in a hostel (Gibela) - single room, dorm would be cheaper. Nice quiet place.
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Stephan : see my link on p2 of this thread.
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
  • Options

Well I'm back after Zurich Ironman, and for those of you that asked, yes I think it was easier than Comrades. The different disciplines are short enough so that even if you struggle it is not for as long. The big difference is in training - Comrades training does not cover it, I needed to spend a lot more time on the bike. I had to work too hard and found that by the time I had to run my knees were shot image.

But I finished, and that was always the goal image.

• Options

Well done Douglas, awesome effort and interesting feedback from a Comrades perspective.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Does anyone have advice on where to find a commrades training plan?  I've not run more than a marathon so this is new territory for me. earlier this year I did Paris in 4'11 and Windermere in 4'25, and feel I've maintained this level and could do similar now. The official website has a "bronze" training schedule that targets completing a 4'30 marathon using a run walk strategy, or the bill Rowan plan aiming for a 3.30 Mara ( too  ambitious).. I'm looking for something between these, any suggestions? 

Currently my plan is to use Chester marathon in early October to qualify ( in about 4'15 maybe slightly less) then to do lots of long runs between now and then, doing several of the CTS events over the winter ( initially at marathon length then increasing to the ultra ) and the Compton 40 at Easter, but suspect I'd benefit from having a bit more structure to my training, so any suggestions welcome.