Options

Comrades 2015

Comments

• Options

Flights booked! 

A good deal came up so went For it....

£538 Manchester heathrow joberg Durban. Fly the wed come back the following Thursday.   Looking like about £310 for 7 nights in the bellaire so will book that over the coming weeks..... ????

• Options

don't know why a load of ?? Came up in my last sentence!! 

• Options

Hi Mc Hilly,

You have a slightly better marathon time than I did for my first Comrades in 2013 (10:56 finish).  For that I qualified in Autumn 2012 with 4:15, then during training ran a PB at Paris in Spring 2013 (4:08, although wasn't 'racing' it for a PB at the time).  

I bought the Don Oliver book 'Make Sure of Your Comrades Medal' (which I've just seen now has a kindle edition on Amazon), and is also on the Alsoran website (http://www.alsoranrunners.info/).  I followed that quite religiously in terms of number of runs per week, weekly/monthly mileage and number and distance of longest runs.  I didn't particularly follow any pace/speed advice in training plans - it was my first ultra, and with an OK qualifying marathon time i.e. not just inside 5hrs, my main aim was becoming more comfortable running further and for longer rather than faster (and learning to walk from within the first 30mins).  For the long runs, at roughly the timings in Don Oliver's schedule, I did x1 trail marathon, x1 trail 50K, x1 road marathon, x1 road/trail 50K not as part of an event but with a friend, and x1 44K trail event.

This year, I did pretty much the same thing, although I did rather focus on training for and 'racing' the London marathon (my first London), which meant I got a great PB there but then a bit injured and the last month (which was meant to be the main, big bit of training) was rather tough (but these 42-50K events definitely then helped me mentally).  

I don't know what others advice would be, but from my experience I would say you can afford to race Chester this Autumn for as good a time as you think/would like to achieve, and then focus on steady long running from January 2015.  I wouldn't suggest training for and racing a Spring marathon for a time though (I knew and read this wasn't a good idea, but couldn't help myself - probably a bit of over confidence the 2nd time around training for Comrades, as the first time I was very diligent that nothing would negatively affect the main goal that was Comrades).  

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Emily, many thanks for the advice it's excellent as you seem to have started from a similar place, and your finishing time of under 11h is something I'd love to achieve. I'll certainly get the book you mention and see if it's something that will work for me.

I was really interested to see you comments about learnng to adopt a run walk strategy from early on. This is something that I hadn't really considered / come to terms with. I had been thinking I didn't want to run/walk and I'd run as far as I could and then see what happened, and only use a run walk approach when. Could no longer run! I guess this shows my lack of experience over longer distances, and I probably need to rethink slightly and be more realistic... I shall be downloading the book tomorrow !
  • Options

Hello....  anyone have any good trail marathon suggestions for the coming months?  Did the Giants Head a little while back and I've not run more than 15 miles since - been enjoying not having a race on the schedule but that period has well and truly worn off.  

I recall some great suggestions on this forum pre-Comrades...any suggestions would be gratefully received!

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Dunstable Downs on 14sep is excellent. http://www.dunstableroadrunners.org/pages/page_26579/Dunstable-Challenge-Event.aspx I've done the 20mile option in the past, and am doing it again this year. I see there is also a marathon option. 

I also like the CTS events, I did several halves in the last series and planning todo some marathons and eventually ultras over the next few months. They are a bit expensive, but well organised and in stunning locations. Courses tend to be tough, I needed to treat several as a cross between run and brisk hike, but always felt like good training. http://www.endurancelife.com/event-new.asp?series=85 

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

I ran the portsmouth marathon in december last year that was sort of traily, certainly not all on road. I found another good one in the new forest for february time called the heatbreak marathon. Rather hilly with laps so a good test and of course the good old Compton 40 around Easter time. Will definately be at Portsmouth and probably the others as well.

Keep up the training, not long before you can snaffle one of the 23000 entries!!

Can also recommend Don Olivers book - an excellent read...

• Options

Anyone from the South West running Comrades 2015? I ran the downhill a few years ago with some friends and now want to do the uphill. No one I know wants to do the 2015 so I'm looking for some local moral support!  Please message me if you're going!

• Options
    Stephen Weston 3 wrote (see)

Flights booked! 

A good deal came up so went For it....

£538 Manchester heathrow joberg Durban. Fly the wed come back the following Thursday.   Looking like about £310 for 7 nights in the bellaire so will book that over the coming weeks..... ????

Ha, same here. Virgin Atlantic? They were £510 the week before but never managed to get all the cash sorted for the 4 of us in time.. Still an amazing price. 

We're there for 3 weeks. 1 week at my folks. 1 week in zim, back for comrades at my folks in Umhlanga Rocks..

• Options

Can pick someone's brains? i'm just about to enter the Chester marathon and there are two options UK Affiliated / Non UK Affiliated - 

I know Its no biggie for the chester marathon but will it make a difference to my comrades entry if I go for Non UK affiliated?

• Options

Won't make any difference zuluboy, I'm doing Chester too so will look out for you! 

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

zuluboy, SW3, I've also entered Chester, so will look out for both of you!

• Options

Awesome cheers, All entered so I guess I'll see you guys there. I've never run a marathon before and don't really have any idea on how to run one. I'm guessing using my "race predictor" times from my forerunner might be a bit optimistic.. 

http://doobz.co.uk/IMG_20140823.jpg

• Options
    Zuluboy, all that means is, are you a member of a UK running club affiliated to (eg for England) England Athletics - you will have a card with your number on if so, and get to pay ??2 less per race entry.

Changing the topic - I think people worry too much about walk breaks etc. What *is* important is working out what you, personally, need to keep going for 55+ miles. As part of that you learn how to eat and drink in long events and how to manage the inevitable leg stiffness and discomfort and how to use your effort as efficiently as possible.

Now, sorting all this out *may* well mean that you walk e.g. while drinking and eating (remember aid stations are every 2-3 miles!!!) or do some walking on the uphills in order to not tire yourself out too early. The difference is that the question is "how can I be most efficient and comfortable?", not "What should my walk breaks schedule be?". Things like developing the right gait and foot turnover for uphills and downhills at your likely Comrades pace, working out that eating X makes you feel queasy, and cultivating an attitude of dealing with issues early on while staying positive, are more important.

Ultimately your first Comrades is a big learning experience like your first marathon - because we're all different we can't necessarily be 100% prepared, but the experience pays dividends the year(s) after image
  • Options
    PS zuluboy - try first 18-20 miles at your best long run pace, then put your foot down a bit for the last 8-6 miles. For Mara #1 . Then improving on the time is a matter of inching back the point at which you start the long push for home, and improving that "best long run pace". Or as Haile G said,

"Run marathons from the end backwards!"

It is a great feeling to spend those last hard miles overtaking people, and that creates a virtuous circle because you naturally can run a bit faster if you've got someone to chase and take down.

Of course you are a lot faster than me but I think the principles still hold true regardless of paceimage
  • Options

Some really helpful advice there Fido.. Huge thanks. Hopefully over the next few months I can pick up more little insights, like the ones about running the race backwards etc. 

• Options

Hello,  D Day for making my decision  to enter Comrades is approaching fast.  Am I right in thinking  that I qualify with a marathon time  any time between now and April will London 2015 count? How does the entry work for UK runners?  I noticed some people have already booked their flights even though  the race doesn't open until 01/09.   Do you automatically get  a place when you enter? How soon would I need to book my accommodation?

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Hi Patricia.  You enter and then update your entry with your qualifying time when you get it.  London would be fine as the qualifying window seems to be up to 4 May.   It is not hard to get in to the race - it does not fill up right away and there is no ballot.  There is a decent range of accommodation in the area that is most convenient for Comrades.  I don't think that it is essential to book right away but if you are sure that you are going to do the race it is worth seizing a bargain if you see one.

I'm back for the third year.  I have everything but the race entry and qualifying time - I am hoping to get that out of the way at Leicester.  I just got my flights - Emirates again from Gatwick. The price was about what I have paid in previous years.  I noticed that there are some offers from Virgin and I think BA for flights to Johannesburg but Emirates is cheaper.  Two long flights instead of one really long one and a short one.

• Options

Hi, has anyone had an e-mail from the organisers giving a password and username and a link to entry?  I'm thinking scam as entry hasn't opened yet.

Btw, my hat is in the ring for 2015 even though I haven't run for 4 months. image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I have not.  I will use the same logon credentials as last year.

• Options

Yep, got the e-mail. I think it's genuine as the password is definitely one that I set up... even though I found it in my junk mail folder...

Will be good to see you again JB!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Who sent the email?  I need to go look for it!

• Options

Came from the Comrades Marathon - actually, the username is the same as it was for last year - so I guess it's just a reminder e-mail... if you use your username and password from last year it looks like it should be fine...

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

I got it too, and will be back next year!  Ironman in a month so lots of different training for me at the moment which has been fun (but tiring)

• Options

Email here too - I think it's genuine.

Anyone used Thames Meander as a qualifier in the past? It's not exactly a big international race, but's it's UKA certified so I'm hoping it will count.

• Options
    I've never heard of anyone *not* being able to use any marathon as a qualifier TBH.
  • Options

Well that's all good then not a scam.  I have been given the OK from the physio to do 2 mins on the treadmill (sprained ankle in May....my qualifier was going to be Abingdon ) I'm back!  But won't be at Abingdon obviously.

It will be good to see you too SD and all the old hands. image

• Options
    Question Up Run old hands: where do the buses back from PMB drop folk in Durban? I stayed in PMB in 2011 so don't know. (It was so hellish getting to the minibus to get to the PMB hotel I can't see it would be much worse going back to Durbs, FLW.

Have also been looking at dry-robe type things as changing facilities at the finish are limited.

Just in case.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Fido2Dogs, it was great to bump into you after Abingdon Parkrun this morning, as I will be a Comrades first timer, it's great to be able to chat with someone who's done it before image