Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Staring to get excited now, travelling latish tomorrow, and don't mind what the weather brings ( realise I was lucky last year for my first Snod, with near perfect conditions, but if it's bad weather, it will only add to the sense of achievement when I finish)

I don't like to disagree with PJL, as he has much more experience than I do, but would like to challenge him, on "never enter a marathon on a whim or a bet", I'd change that and say if you do enter on a whim or bet, make sure you follow through with it, and you never know where it might take you. 10 years ago I didn't run, I agreed  to enter a marathon on a whim over a glass of wine.... My view was, if I needed to it would be tough, but I could walk 26 miles the next day, so I already knew I could do a marathon, it was just a case of how well.... We gave ourselves a year, we found a suitable event and trained for it, the 4 of us who agreed to do it on a whim all complete it, and although it was just meant to be a one off event we all went on to do more.... And for me I became addicted, so I'm very pleased I entered on a whim..... I would encourage others to do so, but as PJL says, you then have to plan and train!

I was amazed to read in PJLs post that you can buy medals on eBay. I just don't get that. Although I wouldn't sell mine, maybe I can understand those who do,  you know what you've achieved regardless of wether you have a piece of metal or slate to prove it, and if it helps fund your next entry, then why not. But I don't think I'll ever understand those who by them!

I'm very much  looking forward to the run on Saturday and earning my second coaster image and hopefully saying hello to lots of the forumites!

• Options
    On route but delayed in Edinburgh (fly.maybe)
  • Options
    I entered our local half (Hoy) on a whim in 2011 having never run before. It was full but I got offered a place a month later (total entry numbers having been increased).My wife was the runner. Despite having lost a month I trained and completed it. Tomorrow I hope to complete my 11th marathon and 2nd SNOD. image
  • Options
    What time are people meeting at the Pantri?

Went for a run this morning. Bring it on!
  • Options

Is SS definfinitely opening late at The Pantri.

After putting out a feeler he hasn't issued any announcement (unless I missed it)

• Options

Looks like it's going to be a proper snowdonia marathon tomorrow heavy rain and wind up till 3 pm. Can't complain though the past few years have been pretty mild and the bad weather just makes it feel more worthwhile have a good run everybody.

• Options

cheers Sorequads & Brer Rabbit for tips. Stashing some lucozade in 2nd half of the course is a great idea, only difficulty is timing. I'm driving up at 3am from London so probably won't be there in enough time. Lots of food in the car to get energy levels up before though. I'll pack some dextrose in something waterproof for the run image

• Options
    What are the drinks stations like?
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

2:54

• #9  John Bach

3:14

• #985  *Jones*
    • running eye
    • #1666  Top Hat

3:19

• # 723  Sorequads

3:25

• #271  Greg C

3:29

• Chimney
    • #1585  Lazy Greyhound, The
    • #164  Ultra Disco Stu

3:35

• Lemmy

3:44  

• ChefRunner31
    • #1455  Run Jono

3:58

• #533  mr panad
    • #1327  T Rex
    • Wicksy

3:59

• #717  BritNick
    • #1013 Cae Ras  1st mara image
    • #871  Dennis Hussey
    • joe derrett
    • McHilly

4:20

• dave turner 
    • #805  MTri

4:27

• #100 Fenland Runner 100th mara  image presentation The Heights 1500-1600-ish
    • legend777

4:30

• Simon Lister 2

4:59

• #580  An Other Half
    • #163  BrickHill Runner

5:30+

• Peter John Lewis

Also running:

• Andrea B
    • #2605  brer rabbit
    • carrot top
    • #498  Gringo WBA
    • Harley Henshaw 2
    • Harshad_Patel
    • #1199  Hobie 1495
    • hoofy
    • ian ingham
    • jason d
    • KingKenny
    • koiboy
    • Mrs Lemmy
    • #2099  Naomi Cane
    • #2192  panad
    • # 1692  Pete Thomas 6
    • #1524  Reydon Rover
    • #771 runwithmysetter
    • seam fitzgerald 4
    • Sir John a Lot
    • #1662  Steve Taylor 1969
    • stilldreaming
    • Tattooed Runner 40-something
    • Torquay runner

• Buxton Sprocket
    • Chrissi
    • Dizzle65
    • hope to ...
    • InsideForward
    • LouP252
    • Wabo
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That was my last list.  I apologise for any errors or people I have missed.  Leaving shortly!  Bring it on!!

Don't forget it is the responsibility of someone on the image list to start the 2016 thread while we are away!

Run tall, everybody.  Especially FR image.

• Options
    Just leaving for sunny Wales. If I don't get a chance later I just wanted to wish everyone the best for tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy the SNOD experience. Especially CaeRas for your first marathon and FR for you 100th hope you both have a memorable day.
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    registered and have had my pre-race 2mile plod...now just to do the hard work tomorrow...

hopefully see some of you around

Have a good one all!
  • Options

Off soon to sunny Llanberisimage, good luck everyone

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Just popping in to wish everyone good luck for tomorrow enjoy yourselves image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    I seem to be in Llanberis! Taped up hamstrings and hopefully beat last year's performance- by getting beyond 8m point!

See some of you later, I hope.
  • Options
    I do hope Mr Basford can cope with the current pressure he finds himself under, being temporary custodian (on paper at least) of my property.

Those of you who have already been to llanberis to register their interest in taking part in tomorrows BIG event, will realise my number has been loaned by mistake to another runner, a Mr Lee Basford.

The last time that happened, was in 1998, and disappeared to North Yorkshire, but was retrieved just in time, so i could pin on my vest.

He does not realise the honour bestowed upon his shoulders, and i hope there will be no bitter resentment in having his number changed at the last moment.

All is not lost, the weather looked perfect, heavy drizzle in Llanberis, and decent rain at Pen Y Pass with a strengthening wind, i do hope its not blowing through before 10am tomorrow..

The precious number (HUGE RELIEF) has been secured once again for the 21st year in succession and even though i feel weak and full of WILL I GET AROUND IN MY CURRENT STATE, i left llanberis full of excitement, its game on for tomorrow.

Its strange what a visit to Llanberis on a rainy late October day, can do to ones moral, i am looking forward to the torment and suffering to come, its part of the passage of taking part in this great event.

I wish every competitor new and old, a really great race tomorrow, and those first timers to BRITAINS BEST MARATHON.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN.
  • Options
    Waiting for #85/86 bus to Llanberis...
  • Options
    Had a little drive round the course earlier when I arrived in Llanberis, the final climb looks like hell! Can't wait now though it's really got me buzzing for the morning. Good luck to you all hope everything goes well.
  • Options

Good luck for tomorrow everyone image sitting in my B&B refuelling and pondering how the Tee shirt has gone from one of the best to just another ill fitting tec top ???? The small is like a tent on me, the women's is even worse. In previous years the women have had a women specific fitted Tee shirt, this year they've got the same as the men so the small is like a marquee on my wife.

• Options

Don't think I can stuff any more in after a late lunch due to travelling delays followed by a visit to the Pantri this evening ( and my L tshirt fits just fine!image )

• Options
    Wow! How good was that?! Absolutely brutal and definitely bit off more than I could chew in the first half sending me back through the field like a lead balloon after Beddgelert.....but I can't wait to have another bash next year! Finished in 3:15:26 so not quite the sub 3:15 I had aimed for but was just happy to finish after trudging my way up Bwlch y Groes then rattling down the other side cramping up in every single muscle in the legs! Looking forward to next year now I've got a better idea of how to pace it. Well done to the rest of you who ran you're all champions!
  • Options
    Another amazing year of the Snowdonia Marathon. It never ceases to amaze me just how awesome the route, the marshals, the spectators and the runners all are!! Loved it.

3 minutes outside my time on the List. 3:33. Really pleased with that considering the complete absence of any training. It just kept it honest and didn't let myself slow down post 13 miles. So rewarded. And what about that final decent!! :-0

Hope everyone else had a great day too
  • Options
    Sorry.... Amazing running Top Hat!!! You should change your name to Top Draw!!!
  • Options
    Cheer Stu, fair play to you cracking run with a lack of training! Yer that descent was something else, a big bold Estonian lad hit the deck a few metres in front of me and just laid there laughing , don't think he fancied getting back up after that! And I don't blame him either
  • Options

Wow I love this race image didn't feel great early on but started feeling better from half way, new marathon pb 3:13:36 so very very happy image well done Top Hat we must have crossed paths at some point in the race image

• Options

Certainly slippery on final descent, a few folk around me went down but managed to stay upright myself. 

Well done Stu and Top Hat, cracking times.

5h01 for me, 19 minutes faster than 2013. image

Got to Waun Fawr for 4h but last 4 miles were brutal and slow.

• Options
    Awesome run Jones!! Yer you would've certainly gone past me in the last few miles then - I was the one in a blue vest walking up Bwlch y Groes mumbling profanities!

An Other Half I feel your pain in the 4 miles definitely! Well done on going 19 minutes faster though that's quality!
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    what a fabulous day out! It was never going to be pretty time-wise for me this year and I came in at course worst of 4.45, but my sole aim was to enjoy myself and despite the pain I did just that By the time I got to the top at bwlch y groes I was just having fun spashing in all the puddles, managed to go arse-over-tit a few times on the way down the other side and got covered in mud. Then once I was back on to the tarmac it was time to make a few places up on the final dash down into the village.

No more for me until I get my training back into some kind of order - hoping the fun of today is the start and I may be back next year...

Mr panad got his 3.58 and is very pleased at getting the sub-4 on his 4th attempt image
  • Options

Congrats on the PB Jones

Took it easier than last year and just ensured I enjoyed it, which I did (confirmed by the pictures I've seen - what a difference compared to those of last year!). Great organisation as always and serious respects to the marshals and supporters given the weather!

• Options

Well went under my 3 45 estimate and hit 3 43 really pleased with that considering I thought 6 months ago my running days were coming to an end . A few days rest now and will pick up training again middle of next week well done to everyone who finished today and a big thanks to the organisers , marshalls and the fantastic support out there .