Options

Brighton Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

hi Tessie  they usually have pacers at brighton

• Options

Toby sorry to hear your fate again... must be frustrating! I may come down and watch this year, my other half (who won a place on Womens Running Mag Big Marathon Challenge Team) has a couple of her team running Brighton and I've got a couple of mates running it too.  I loved running it and think it'll be a great day supporting others too.

• Options

Hey everyone! Skylarker, I'm v similar to you, been out injured for past 3 years.  My best time was 4h13 and hoped to squeak under 4 this time but my back issues permit me to run just twice a week.

so I'm doing a quick for me 8 miles or so on a Monday and my lsr On a Friday.  Up to 20 miles as of last week. if I can get round in 4h30 it'd be amazing but I've made decision to run without a watch, and run to how my body feels.  Any one done this?! How did you find it?  I'm worried about going off too quick but figure I could sit in behind a pacer group for a bit til I get into a routine.

• Options

Shhhh, don't tell anyone I'm here...

is anyone doing the half on Sunday as prep/training?

• Options

And while I'm here, how about a list of everyone's target times or paces?

M.ister W - 4:15

• Options

Hope everyone's training is going well so far, it's getting closer now!

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Hi All, Been a while for me since posting so just catching up. Sorry to hear that some are having to bail due to injury! Good luck with the recovery. Nice to see some are back for more after being off for a while (LindsayY and PingPongBoy) good luck with the come back!

Tessie: Yes there are pacers in Brighton. They can be found as they have a green / yellow balloon attached to them and they usually organise themselves in pace order, so fastest near the front. Just ask the first one you find and work it out from there. I ran with a 3:30 pacer last year and he was spot on with his timing!

M.ister W: Happy to provide a target time nearer the time as it depends on how training goes but for now put me down as 3:29 to 4:00

As for me, ticking along nicely with a 30km done last Sunday so we are getting the mileage up again. Just need to take it easy and not make my on-going injury any worse.

• Options

Hi, I have been gifted the place given to my local running club but as it's all been rather last minute I don't have any accommodation! I live in Oxfordshire so definitely need to stay over on the Saturday night. My dad is coming with me (bless him) as my husband is away with work for most of April. Does anyone have any ideas for where I could possibly find accommodation at this late stage? Thanks

• Options

According to Expedia the Grand Hotel has a room available for £331 image

You could stay somewhere along the train line and get the train in for the race.  The start is near Preston Park train station and the finish is a short walk from Brighton station.  I did spot a Travelodge room in Worthing, although to get to Preston Park on the train from there you'd have to go to Brighton and change.

• Options

Air BnB.. still some good deals to be had.

• Options

Anyone travelled from fareham to Brighton marathon before? Trying to work out the best route, planned on train but it looks like engineering works from Fareham have scuppered that. 

my wife and daughter( 5years) are hoping to watch so didnt want them to have to do miles and miles of walking. 

Any suggestions of parking appreciated.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

The website is still showing spaces available at the park n ride.  However, the buses only take you to the start and it's a bit of a walk from there to the seafront for your wife and daughter (although they could walk to Preston Park train station and get the train into town). Alternatively there are car parks in town.  Churchill Square is probably the best option as it's big and fairly central.

• Options

Thanks, I did check out the park and ride but wasn't convinced it perfect, do you know if churchill square would be effected by road closures. 

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

It will still be accessible as you can get to it from West Street. The problem might be driving from Preston Park into town.  This is a link to the road closures list - http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/sites/default/files/imce/BMW2015roadclosures.pdf

• Options

Thanks for your help and time, it's very much appreciated.

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to drive past the rail closure and get the train in from Arundel/Littlehampton/Worthing? Obviously depends where the closure is. If there's a way to avoid driving in Brighton on Marathon day I'd avoid it!

Churchill Square car parks are open, the queues to get out during the afternoon are horrendous though, so if you're in a hurry to leave afterwards I wouldn't go there. I guess it might take an hour to get the first mile? If you do go there don't leave town by the A23, try to go west/northwest, you'll bump into the A27 at some point.

If your wife drops you right next to Preston Park she'll be on the wrong side of the closed A23 to get to car parks, would be better to drop you west of the A23.

London road car park might be OK, accessible from the west (Old Shoreham Road) escape is faster afterwards, it's close to start but is a walk from finish, your family could walk along the marathon route from there into town.

Brighton Station or Trafalgar Street might also be OK, halfway between start and finish.

Getting the train from Preston Park station to town isn't really worth it, there's limited parking round there and Brighton Station is still half a mile from the seafront.

• Options

I'm running with a friend and although we plan to run together that could change. If we get separated are there obvious meeting points where we can meet up at the end? We weren't sure how easy it would be to agree a place in advance because the end isn't the same place as the start, is it? Any suggestions from people who have done it before would be most welcome.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

What's wrong with the reunion area at the end?

• Options

Nothing at all! I didn't know there was a 'reunion area'.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

The details are in the event programme that was emailed to you.

• Options

Ah, OK. I must admit I got a bit fed up plodding through all the ads and inspirational runners' stories. Never got to any useful information. I'll have another look. I've only done two marathons before. One was so tiny it was easy to find people. The other was London where you have to agree where in the reunion area you will hook up. I expect Brighton is much the same.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I agree about the ads and "inspirational" stories.

It's somewhere near the end of the programme (page 44).  It says there will be letter flags that you can agree to meet at.

Other potentially useful stuff I found in the programme...

- The "sports drink" contains no calories.  It's simply flavoured water with electrolytes, which is useful but you'll need gels, jelly babies or a jam sandwich.

- You can choose your starting pen when you pick up your race number at the expo. That's a smart idea because how many of us have had better/worse training than expected so have changed our predicted pace?

- The run back from the power station is a f**king long way so don't get carried away after the turn.

- There's an app that allows you to track runners, although it's not yet been updated from last year.

• Options

Thanks M,ister W. I admit I also have mostly ignored emails that have come from Brighton Marathon so it's useful to have the useful info pointed out!

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Good to stumble across this thread...

This will be my first full marathon, and frankly I am apprehensive seeing as the longest run I'll have done before the day (two 20 milers in training) is a good 10k short of the full distance. 

HM best was 1:48 last October, and I ran 1:52 in a hard 13.1 training run last month. The RW predictor tells me I should be comfortably under 4hr for 26.2 which is where I'd *like* to be, but it felt hard enough running 20 miles in 4 hrs, let alone going 6 miles further in the same time!

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    The predictors aren't very accurate. I just sneaked under 4 after a 1:37 half a few years ago. Just take it easy in the first half and see how you're feeling.
  • Options

does anyone know what time we will actually set off. ill be going for the 3:30-4hr coral, I know it says 9:15 but i assume thats when the fast guys go?

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Everyone starts at the same time. How quickly you get across the start line depends on how many people are ahead of you. It will be a few minutes.
  • Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

I know how you feel, yellow.  I'd completed two 20-milers in the lead up to my first (and the same again this time, with my second today).  Thing is, that's enough so long as the rest of your training has gone according to plan, and that plan in some way resembles those widely available all over the place.

M.ister W's right, take it easy to begin with - harder than it sounds - and you'll be fine. Don't get too hung up on a particular time; a Gold/Silver/Bronze approach suggested by guys over on the Paris thread is the one I like to go with, and gives you better odds of not feeling disappointed is Plan A doesn't work out image.

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    I'll check that out, a gold/silver/bronze approach sounds sensible, as I know I'm terrible for getting fixated on a single goal.
  • Options
    Anyone starting on the Fast Start-Withdean Park

I plan to start with the sub 3:15 group then if all is well push on at around 18m to try get closer to 3:10 any advice or anyone trying the same ?