Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

8km Easy done, all good AAAAANNNNDDDD i am in my new trainers now, these will be my marathon ones i think, i will be breaking them in over the next few weeks.Exactly the same ones as i have been using this last 18 months.

• Options

A missed run tonight i am afraid. It has been one hell of a week at work and the weather is just aweful with snow, slush and ice and it is freezing. I just could not muster anything to get out there. I just need sleep. Sorry.

• Options
    That was a tough run today I didn't drink and it was warm so I dehydrated and my legs suffered, I was really struggling at the end. But I did the distance then collapsed on the settee lol.

Next week I am taking money with me to buy water en route.
  • Options

So 5 weeks out now, not sure of the mid week runs but i guess you will post these as we go, but for the LSR, i guess it is the following looking at last years plan?

13/3 - 32km

20/3 - 35km (scared)

27/3 - 20km

3/4 - ?

10/4 - Marathon

The 32 and 35 will be tough going.

• Options

JJ, sorry I don't have everything with me (in Manchester) but it looks roughly right.

This week - Easy 8, Tempo (1.5k warm up, 5k at 6:15, 1.5k cool off), Hills, and 32k LSR.

Definitely water on a run this length, and perhaps a couple of jelly babies... 

• Options
    Cheers LG. yup definitely water, a hard lesson yesterday learnt.
  • Options

8km tempo done all good.

• Options

I did the 8km easy tonight and it was certainly not easy, in fact i struggled, not alot of power in my legs and i wasnt feeling brilliant even before i went. But the run is done and put to bed.

A slight issue with my left knee ligaments, they are strained at the moment, so was going to go swimming tomorrow and now i may avoid it.

• Options

Hills done, all good, felt alot better tonight, mainly because i didnt feel sick, which has been lingering around the last week or so. Seems i am over that now. Too many sick bugs around. The time was good as well, faster than i have done it before and i wasnt really looking or thinking of the time.

Ready for Sundays long one ...............heeeeeellllllpppppp mmmmmmeeeeee

• Options

31km done, not 32km. I just couldnt manage that last km, i was dead on my feet. Stamina and breathing were fine, but there was just nothing left in my legs, they would not turn.

I took some walking breaks as can be seen by the erratic times. Time on my feet was good though.

I would say i started to feel pressured after about 26km and by 28/29 i was really hanging on, or should i say i fell off.

Hopefully this is all good though and a good work out for the legs, or was it worse than expected and i am behind on where i should be? So your feedback would be welcomed, Looking at my similar run last year i think it was about 12 seconds a km slower and 1km less, noting i think i am training harder this year so my legs will be more tired?

So what delights will i have served up for this week? It is like "i am a celebrity get me out of here" with bush tucker trials LMAO.

• Options

JJ, I think you did fine.  Lots of time on your feet and actually this was a tough week in total effort.  Relax image.  Also you were too fast for the first 4-5k today.  Stop trying to race your training runs.

This week -

Easy 5k

Long intervals / tempo - warm up 1k then 3k at 6:30, 1k easy, 3 at 6:30, 1k cool off

Hills (but do 2 fewer cycles) should be around 7k total

LSR 35.  Do with planned walk breaks! - try run 18mins walk 2 mins.

• Options

I am tapering image so my legs feel quite springy.

• Options
    Thanks LG.

So your in taper for your ultra? Two Oceans? that must be amazing to run, all credit to you to come back from injury to do it. When is the race?
  • Options

5km done,

Question - the tempo run at 6.30? Is that correct?

• Options
    Yes 6:30 for the 3k sections; 7:00+ for the warm up etc
  • Options

Imjury management, the back of my left knee is strained, it gets better then i run and hurts again, so i need to give it a little rest, will run on Friday and hope it improves. It has been sore for a few weeks, hasnt got worse but i want it right for the race (it was sore before the half), so as you can see nothing major but i need to manage it.

• Options

Ok JJ.  If sore Friday don't do long run this weekend!  Cut Friday short if sore.

• Options

Already feeling better today, but it needs to repair fully, so will see tomorrow what i run as you suggest. I really want to run Sundays long one, so that is my aim, if necessary even doing 30km but ideally i need that 32+.

I will be sensible though and play it by ear. Last night I was climbing the walls and at 10.00pm i nearly went out running. 

It is strange feeling guilty not running but head has to win this one, not the heart.

Just for info, i could run now, i know i can, but the aim is to remove the niggle now not later.

• Options

Ran out tonight to test the leg, went slowly to start with and all was good so upped the pace for a couple of km without going silly then backed off again, did the normal 8km route.

When i stopped to walk the last bit home i could feel the back of my knee but nothing major. It has tightened a little but will be ok to run on come Sunday. I will try to stretch it out a little and that may also help, roller time - OUCH lol.

Sunday i will be running, it really is a slight issue but one i want to manage now not in 3 weeks time.

• Options
    Well I managed 34km, I could have done more, I ran all the way with scheduled walk breaks, was fine st the end no breathing problems indeed it would appear on the face of it I had not run. Legs on the hand were aching as would be expected but not as bad as last week. I hydrated better so that will have helped. The downside was the time taken, but I am not too fussed about that, it was full marathon timed run. I just need to do 8km more in the same time. Sat comfortably at home now. Taper time.

I will have a busy week this week and I know you run is at the weekend. So in case I forget or don't get time I wish you all the best. Hope you enjoy it and get the time your hoping for. Looking forward to reading your race report if you do one.
  • Options

Excellent, sounds as though we have timed it perfectly image

Taper time indeed.

This week -

Easy 5k

Tempo - 1.5k warm up, 3k at expected mara pace, 1.5k cool off

Hills session

LSR a nice short 24k image

• Options

I would say the plan has been spot on. I felt a little blip around Christmas where i struggled to keep going but the pacing, distance and times have been perfect i feel, enough to push me and improve me, without the risk of injury and getting too tired. I think i have only missed 2 runs in total due to injury/falling asleep and one cut down run, with one of those missed runs and the cut down run being this week due to my knee. Good work LG, your getting good at your little project image hehehe.

A long run today which was slow, but I had loads left in the tank if my legs would have gone longer, which they couldn't. So theoretically i hope to be able to run a similar time faster and use up the energy in the tank with breathing. 

Plus taper, plus the crowd, plus the right food and drink the week before I think i have made my mind up to run with the 4.30 pacer. If problems occur later on i have 27 minutes in the tank to still get a PB.

My other option was to run with the 4.45 pacer and try to put some speed on later, but i think i am likely to settle into a rhythm and find it hard to go quicker later on.

A nice taper session, hills? Am i doing the 6 repeats or 8? (8 is normal, but you suggested 6 this week possibly due to the long LSR).

• Options

5KM easy done, legs didnt find it easy shaking off Sundays run but all ok, knee is a little tender but it will start to settle again now.

• Options

So my knee, it is not pulled, it is weird, i think it is just tight at the back, hence why it doesnt hinder my running.

• Options

Right, i have staked my claim for a 4.29.59 marathon. So my pace will be 6:24 per km.

That will be tough, but if i do struggle after half way i will have time in the bank to drop back and still do a 4:44:59.

Achievable or am I pushing it too much?

• Options
    Achievable I reckon, but go for even pacing not a fast start, and build in some walks
  • Options

Yup, not sure how i will do the walks following a pacer but i will think about how to do it.

Well I guess until next week this is it. You are off on your travels. You must be excited by it. I hope everything goes to plan for you. Looking forward to hearing about it. 

I know you will be tired next week so i have an idea of a plan for next week in my head going off last years training and this weeks plan. 

GOOD LUCK LG - HAVE FUN.

• Options

This weeks runs done, the tempo seemed to be 4 @ mp rather than 2, as i ran too quick, but not by design.

Tonights hills was good.

Massage booked for the 30th March (proper hard massage) and then the 8th April for a gentle pre race loosening massage ready for the 10th. The person doing it is very experienced, she has worked on alot of Man United players so knows what she is doing and is a neighbour of my sisters, so i know her a little as well. She wont hurt me on the 8th, she is well aware i have the race 2 days later.

• Options
    very bad run - was doing fine but at about 34k took a massive fall and landed on my chin. which is now black and blue. tried to keep going but too sore. 3 hours in A&E. Doc couldn't stitch my lip because not enough skin to stitch - looks quite gory and I should have a fetching scar. legs feel fine!