Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options
    that's how easily 6 months training can go out the window image
  • Options

oh no that is terrible news, after so much hard work and paying to get out there, that must be heartbreaking for you.

Not quite sure what to say really, you must be pretty upset by it. 

I hope the lip heals quickly and doesn't leave a scar,

• Options

Thanks JJ.  At least I have a few days off now I Cape Town image.

• Options

So this week -

Easy 5k

Short intervals - warm up 1.5, 300m @ 5:15pace, 60 sec recovery x5, 4min recovery, then another set of 5 x 300m, cool down 1.5k

Easy 5k with pickups

LSR is 16k

• Options

I almost feel guilty posting today really.

Managed the 24km all ok with no walking breaks. Incidentally my Friday hills run (6 reps) has not downloaded from the watch. It may appear at a later date, all strange.

Pulled my back at 23.35km today so walked the last bit, played it carefully today and took some tablets, it will be ok in a few days, better now than in 2 weeks. Knee was perfect though. Looked back to the same run last year, it looks like i am much stronger this time around.

Enjoy Cape Town, that must be nice to see.

• Options

Nursing my back now, but on the positive side my knee is good. My back will be better in a couple of days, i have a massage tomorrow on my legs and will see if she can do anything with my back or whether she feels best to leave it, she is experienced, very experienced so i have no issues on taking her advice. She has worked for Manchester United's top players a few years back.

I expect it will be run Thursday and Friday so i will miss a 5km run, not ideal but not a disaster. 

Starting to work on hydration and food watching (a little eating it as well). So getting prepped now.

• Options

How are you feeling now? I hope the lip is ok?

• Options

Hi - cuts are healing, bruised ribs still a bit sore.  Nothing too serious, more of an irritation now.  Just enjoying a few days' break anyway.  Entered a marathon end of May to cheer myself up image

• Options

A marathon sounds a good way of getting over it. Good luck with that, take a few days then get back out there.

Had a massage tonight, or more of a sort my back, as it was a mess and all too tight, and then stretched the legs our by pulling them and stretching them etc rather than an actual massage.

Next Friday will be a more relaxing massage, opening up the air waves and apparently getting energy into my body, all sounds a little too much hocus pocus to me, but lets give it a go, she seems to know what she is doing.

• Options
    Not ran since Sunday's long run, Tuesday due to work and Wednesday due to massage. Was going to last night but my back was bruised to hell from the massage, it was in a mess before she worked on it. I can breath easier now though as she was freeing my back and opening up my chest.

I will be going out tonight, still at little tender but ok to run on. Will do the harder run, so intervals and the long run on Sunday.

On the plus side I feel ready for this race, excited and want to get on with it.
  • Options

Well that was fun tonight, legs good, but i was tired at the end of the repeats, not bloody surprising when i looked at the times, i was like 4mins 30secs per repeat, and i thought i was going slow.

• Options

JJ, please don't overdo your sessions now!  No racing until race day.

This week - Tuesday easy 5k.  That's EASY.

No later than Wednesday - 1.5k warm up, 3k at your planned mara pace, 1.5k cool off. 

Saturday - 3k very easy, with pickups

Sunday, you know what to do image

• Options
    Cheers LG, I did my LSR today which u will load up later, watch ran out at about 12km but was averaging long 7.18 when it switched off.

Ran in race gear today with gel belt so all good.

I am as ready as I can be I think.
  • Options

Why am i aching after yesterdays run?

Weird and not comfortable, taper madness?

• Options

5km easy done, it didnt feel comfortable again. Probably over thinking my runs at the moment and the madness is creeping in.

• Options
    No more running until Saturday's leg stretch
  • Options
  • Options

Feeling bouncy now, legs coming together.

Groin strain still there, it is tighness not a pull, and eases when running so i am not concerned about.

Carb loading with 4 tea cakes in the day rice at lunch time, chippy tea tonight and pasta tomorrow. Water with tablets going down regularly.

I am ready to go.

• Options

JJ, that's great but don't overeat.  It's not that many calories!

Loosening run tomorrow then all systems go.

• Options

What a mixed day that was yesterday, so my review.

Got ready to get in to my car at 7,15 and my ipod was nowhere to be seen (found it later in the pocket of my dressing gown lol), however this did not hinder my run at all.

Then got to my car and it was iced up and it was thick ice, so had to scrape my windows lol.

Parking was hell i had to queue for 30 minutes to get to the car park, but still had time to walk around and chill so again no really issues, just three bits of stress i didn't really need.

Got to the start line all ready in perfect time and found the pacer. Off we went. This was the pacers 17th Marathon and first at pacing. The first few km were a little uneven with slowing down and speeding up as gaps developed in the field, that really couldnt be helped and the pacer had to adapt. He did a pretty good job i have to say.

At 9 miles all was good, i was comfortable and only needed one quick dive in to the bushes as opposed to 5 last year. At this point i started to see friends and family along the route and was still running well at half distance but started to feel the heat a little. It was perfect blue sky and no wind at all. Perfect running conditions if you were running for 2 or 3 hours.

At 16 miles, i started to feel the heat, water was being poured over my head as well as being drunk, i was drinking to thirst and was comfortable with that. 

Then the problem started, i went through a bad patch and I thought about my training, and that everyone has bad patches in races, i ran through it and settled down again. I was still getting hot though and people were starting to walk more and more with bodies at the sides of the roads and people stretching legs.

I got to the difficult part of the course, out in the countryside and i was still nicely on the paces shoulder, and then i felt sick, really sick and new i would be ill if i didnt stop/walk. Stopping was not an option, so i walked some distance and the pacer got away from me. I was a little upset with myself as i really wanted that 4:30, but i knew it had gone.

Not to worry, the 4.45 pacer will be along soon, but lets try to keep ahead of him, thinking that i was going to be happy with 4:40 anyway. I ran/walked but now as i walked my legs started to seize a little and it was getting tough, 6 miles to go and a long way from home, My mum and dad were 2 miles down the road, lets get to them i thought and then if all else fails i can drop out, get a lift home and everyone will know i am safe.

Got to my mum and dad at 23 miles in the end and 3 miles from home, a quick 5km easy run in my head, the medal, the T-shirt, sod this i am getting to the end even if i walk.

At 25 miles the 4:45 pacer slowly passed me, hang on to him i thought, impossible, but it gave me something to aim for. my legs were hurting but i didnt feel sick now and i was making the end.

The home straight, it took forever, i could see the finish line but it didnt get any larger, then i reached the crowds lining the road, i was getting passed by everyone but i was running (ok jogging slowly) but everyone was cheering me on, shouting my name (as it was on my vest - the reason i put it there) and i could see the clock and the gun time of 4:57, i knew i started about 8 or 9 minutes after the gun, i couldnt believe it, i knew i was on for a PB despite my problems, i was in pain, i wanted to cry, i was getting emotional to be honest with everyone cheering me on and i came in at 4:48:56. A NEW PB.

I gave it everything i had, everything i could, the weather i believe got the better of me, my face and shoulders are burnt, really burnt (lesson learnt about sun screen), I know i trained hard, i ran with the pacer to give a real go at the time i was aiming for, i didnt wimp out and i know i ran to my capacity. I cant ask any more of myself than that.

• Options

Hi JJ

Hope you are feeling recovered now.  Great effort, I have a feeling you may feel like trying another marathon some day....image

I am back out and about, nice sunny day for a reasonable run today.

• Options

Well i said i would never do another one, but after recovering, i am now itching to do it again. The issue is the training and will my wife allow me another go at it as it takes a lot of time. I am in negotiation on this point.

My next run is the Manchester 10km, followed by the Salford 10km and a week later the GNR. The a month after that i aiming to do the first ever Manchester Half Marathon.

Salford 10km and Manchester Half are my PB attempts. I know now that every race will probably not be a PB for me, i need to work hard a reducing times now, they wont just come from jogging around the streets. The Manchester Marathon training felt perfect for me, i was on the brink of injury a couple of times, and i know in the last month, i had to stop the gym (due to my back), but the running was spot on and challenging.

As for training now, i have a had a nice week off, I was going to go for a 10km run this afternoon but decided to leave it and go mid week and start fresh for the Manchester 10km. 

I am glad you are out and about now and i hope you don't have any running scars from your fall. You said you are doing a marathon? Which one? I so feel your pain about Two Oceans, it must have been a terrible feeling, but if i am right you have work or friends over there, so assume you linked the two together.

Again, i will give you a get out clause if you so desire regarding spending your time helping me train. but if you do have any spare time on your hands i would really welcome continuing this road. As i have said before, our two threads have simply transformed my life, how i feel about myself and how i look and feel. If you did feel you didnt have time, I fully understand but i would love to stay in touch. If you have time though lets go again.

• Options

Don't think  you are getting off that easily.  Back to training!  for 10k and half mara PBs we'll be concentrating on intervals image

• Options

Good stuff image thanks.

• Options

So how many runs a week are you planning to do, and how much time swimming / gym?...and from which day are you 'back' in training?

• Options

1) I am ready to get back in training now.

2) Three runs a week is better for me now, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, at least for the time being. We can go back to four runs if an when I decide to........doh NOOOO.

3) Gym once a week.

4) Swimming or bike (once it warms up) once a week.

• Options
    Did an 8km easy tonight but no watch data as it was not charged.
  • Options

Fridays run was better for me and another 8km done, 

Going to do a 16km run tomorrow i think.

• Options
    OMG that didn't last long.

Agreed to run London next year for my third and final marathon.

I NEED YOU !!!!

Did a nice 16km today.
  • Options

I see the start of the race is near you. I will be coming down with a couple of family friends, one who is also running. Are you able to suggest any hotels that are nearby etc but perhaps which dont cost a fortune. Or is it best to start out of London and tube it in?