Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options
    I went back to work today, it's hard being a grown up sometimes!!

early tomorrow, day off Saturday and then two lates and two nights to get through 

next Friday I am off to the theatre to see a NT production of Jane Eyre, has excellent reviews so I hope my expectations are managed

http://http//www.atgtickets.com/shows/jane-eyre/aylesbury-waterside-theatre/#overview_tab

the ginger one is curled up by the radiator, it's a tad chilly here at the moment

DL did you mean to walk to Dartmoor or were the trains on strike again?
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    We exchanged today and complete on 28th April! *Gulp* *Wibble* We have been here for a long time, the idea of moving anywhere is scary - but we both believe that this is the right time for us.

Fortunately, the removal company can manage the date and they will pack us up on the morning of the move. I can't imagine doing it ourselves, especially at short notice. We still need to try and find a cattery for a few nights, which could be difficult as it is a bank hol weekend. However, if all else fails, we will throw ourselves on the mercy of MS's older sister.  So, it is 'All Systems Go' for us now.
  • Options

wooohoo Sluggy at last good news - don't panic don't panic!

that sounds good Melds - I love Jane Eyre

I still hate this forum!

• Options
    I went back to work today ...it's hard work being a grown up sometimes!!

early tomorrow, day off Saturday and then 2 lates and 2 nights

next Friday I am off to the theatre 
  • Options
    Oops pardon me  :)
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Wooo hoooo and yay for exchanging Sluggie. How exciting!!

Jane Eyre? Is it a musical?

Today I have been working from home. There are too many hormones in the house today! It appears I am the only sane one. 
    That's how scary it is!

Will our little thread ever make it back into the public domain?

Happy weekend. Hope it brings you a large glass of something refreshing. 
  • Options
    yay, slugs!! Great news. We had the removals guys do the packing last time we moved - excellent service :) so much easier
  • Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    Morning chums :)

Hugs to Podds, Yums, and everyone else who needs a waister cuddle.

Good luck with moving Sluggy!

Feel like I've been off work for months. had nearly a week at a conference, then my epic (kind of) cycling quest, then a week in a cottage with Mr Cheery in Northumbria, and now having a weekend at home pottering around potential new places to live :)

Just did my first run since the last half marathon in January. Experimenting with the Zombies Run app - most mad :D apparently this morning I collected several first aid kits and a packet of underwear this morning :D 

Just watching the start of the marathon with a cuppa :)
  • Options
    Well, I managed to find you all again! And busy times, I see. 

Daffs, loved the sound of your epic cycle! Only you.... And now you're house-hunting again? Are you still wanting to stay in Sheffield? 

DL, your weekend in Centre Parks sounds jolly. We did a few of those: you just have to go with the flow, and all is well. The strop must have been the proverbial return to reality....but really it's a sign that FC feels safe with you. Sounds perverse, but that's what parenting teenagers is like. 

(((((((Podds))))) Have just seen your post about your dad. Lots of supportive vibes are with you all. xxx

Westie, quit apologising! You are a true stalwart, and you know you will be back out on the hills again. Enjoy the enforced rest while it lasts ;-)

Sluggie, it must be hard never knowing how you will find SM, but as JFF says, she is safe and comfortable and you don't have to worry whether she is OK. And fab news that the move is finally going through and you can look forward to setting up your new house with lots of sun and good weather. Let the moving people do it for you: your job is to drink coffee (or something stronger if needed) and keep out of their way :-))) We want photos asap. 

(((Yums)) Sounds like a tough one at work. The new boss syndrome is SO predictable, and SUCH a waste of time nobody has to waste. Even worse when you know how to do the job better than the 'boss'. JFF is right, all you can do is take care of your own job and let the boss take responsibility for theirs. 

Melds, that's some bee-yew-tee-ful bling you've got there. Simple, strong and just lovely. You dad has good taste in daughters, clearly. Oh, and looking forward to hearing about Jane Eyre. One of my fave books, curious to know how it translates to stage. 

JFF, it's lovely that your mum is doing better. It can be such an emotional rollercoaster, but in the photos you've posted she does look happy and content. But maddening that the chronic overwork is still going on. And no end in sight I guess?

Busy here with Chuglets popping in and out like a French farce. C1 and I had a girly weekend in Bruges 2 weeks ago, fab time. She also looked hard at my gait and said I was putting each foot on a single line right in front. I'm working with that thought: I just know it's something wrong in the movement pattern and I am NOT prepared to hobble for the rest of my life! Watch this space. C2 very happy with gf of nearly a year, think she may move in with him over the summer :-) C3 has very important interview on Tuesday, if he gets the place it would be a good professional route forward for him for at least 3 years so vibes much appreciated. Mr C and I go to France next Sunday for 4 weeks, usual panic starting here to get everything ready. My Easter resolution is to get in here normally again even when I can't run, cos I miss you all when I don't! Happy Sundays, all ! xxx
  • Options
    And if anyone has a good system for reliable going straight to this page, other than leaving it permanently open in the laptop, could you please share it? ?

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    I tried to bookmark it and inadvertently signed up for email alerts so just use those now... :D 

Never stopped looking really chuggles, and yes, within an hour or so of Sheffield (up in Holmfirth today havig a nosy round :) ) I might eat my hat if we do ever move, it feels so bloody unlikely after all this time!
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Daffs, I know what you mean! When we first saw 'our' flat, we could picture ourselves living there. However, after so long it felt as if it was never going to happen. And now we have just a few days before we leave our home of 29 years.

Our other news is that SB has handed in his notice at work, he is going free-lance. He has been wanting to do this for a while so, I hope, it has been well thought out.

We have not even switched the TV on to watch the VLM coverage today. It seems like another life to us now.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    chugs - good luck to c3

I tried to bookmark the thread, turned off the email notifications, but the notifications come up at the top of the page, so I just come onto the forums, look on the notifications and come here

slugs, good luck to SB on his freelancing

longhorn half marathon today, it didn't start till 11, so it was really warm by half way through. Lovely run and 15 mins faster than last year on the same course :)
  • Options
    Oooh, well done you, MC! Fifteen minutes is a lot of time to gain, especially as it was pretty hot for the time of year. Three cheers!

Sluggie, it must seem a long time since you did London, but that achievement will be with you for life. (And by the end of the week, you may feel it was easier to run the marathon than move house! ;-) although actually, if you have good movers a lot of it can be surprisingly easy, so let them take the strain. 

Wanted to take Monty for a walk, but it's due to start raining any second so I'll leave it for a hour when it is supposed to have cleared up...
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning all

((((Podds)))) haven't heard anything for a while - hoping you're OK

Watched bits of the marathon from the sofa. Makes me a bit nostalgic until I think a bout the training required!

Yay on shaving off 15 minutes MC - very impressive

~~~~~~C3~~~~~~~ sending interview vibes and erudite thinking!

Sluggie - we used a packing service - it was fab, even if they did move absolutely everything, including stuff we didn't want! Remember to keep the kettle, tea and a loo roll to one side!

Haven't managed to run for a week - must try harder! Couple of days working from home - what a treat!

Happy new week. Hope it brings you something rather lovely.
  • Options

morning all ((((((Podds)))))

~~~~~~ C3 ~~~~~~~~~~

ooh well done MC :)

nice to see you chugs, I just use the search facility at the top of the page - it works but I feel a bit cross about it :)

I've had a busy weekend, been to see the boys band twice - once in Birmingham, once local - that's probably my duty done for the year - they are fab though :)

got a meeting in Harlow tomorrow - boo! its quite a long way

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

Harlow? - hello!

I too am now off on a jolly. Two days at home? Nah. Ofsted called. 

It's all very sunny but quite chilly. Hope it's a happy one.
  • Options
    morning all,
    Nice to see you found the forum again chuggy I miss the updates you do when I pop back in here. I find I don't visit the forum as much as I used to but do try to see how you are all doing on FB and here.
    I'm afraid I really am putting on the pounds as my physical activity is nearly zero. To be honest though I have been waiting to see if they can sort my eyesight out as the longer nothing is done the less chance of some sort of recovery. I did see the latest consultant last week and he says they would operate in the near future ( what ever that means ) I do know it will not be before end of May which in some ways suits our family plans. We are heading off to Spain towards end of may for a short break but if they operated I would not be able to fly. It has something to do with a gas bubble they put behind the eye driving is out for 4 to 6 weeks as well and that's if it all goes ok. A pity as it was only last year they sorted my cataracts out just before my Camino walk so that was fine but now things are not so good. Oops this is turning into a bit of a "poor me " post so sorry for that anyway I am in a far better place than a lot of people  :)
    See Dragon lady has turned 21 today  B)
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Morning/afternoon all (depending on how long I take to get this posted),

And Happy Birthday to our resident Dragon lady.

Westie, I'm sorry that your vision is so poor and have everything crossed that you will not have to wait long for a successful outcome.

DL, sorry that you didn't get the quiet days you were expecting! 

Well done Mc, 15 minutes off a half is pretty impressive.

I hope the northern WAISTers have not been badly affected by the cold snap. I know there has been snow in Northumberland. Fortunately, we are too far south to get hit badly.

It seems strange to be sitting here quietly, so near to the house move, with our belongings all around us rather than desperately trying to get everything boxed up. I am making the most of it as I know there will be more than enough to do at the other end! 

We have never yet tried to get Sky in her basket (the RSPCA peeps did it and brought her to us) so I suspect that is going to be 'fun'. It will help that the bed will have been removed by then, so she can't hide under it (we are taking the mattress, which is in good condition, but not the base). I'm getting her booster vaccs done, a few weeks early, on the way to the cattery so that I don't have to try and catch her again in the foreseeable future. 'Pet Remedy' plug-ins and Zylkene sorted, so I hope Alfie and Sky will settle into their new surroundings as smoothly as possible.

Whether I will settle so quickly is another matter entirely! I wonder how many times I will turn the wrong way when I am driving home??  :D

(((Podds))), you are in our thoughts (does anyone have any recent news?).

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    ((((Podds))) Thinking of you. 

Sluggie, the movers are unbelievably quick, much faster than we would be. But the problem is usually at the other end when you have to decide where to put everything in the new house. We still have several unopened boxes in the cellar from our last move; no idea what's in them, but I'm guessing it can't be anything we desperately need for daily life as we've been in here for nearly 20 years ;-)

As for Sky and the basket, we have found the best is for C3 to distract Heneken while I get the basket and turn it end-up with the open door on top; then when I come in the room he quickly lowers her in backwards, aided by the force of gravity! Worth a try, anyway ;-)

DL, that's truly cruel fate to have OFSTED ring just as you were settling into a couple of nice days at home. Hope they put you up in a 5 star hotel to compensate (yeah, I know, but if the world was fair, they WOULD!). 

JFF, you must be so proud when you see the band on stage. You done good! (So why is fate sending you to Harlow?? There is no justice in the world!)

Westie, you don't sound self-pitying at all. Eyes are important. At least it sounds like the think the operation may sort you out. Good that you can time it so as not to disrupt the family trip to Spain. (Are you going to Compostela to commemorate your walk with Scott?) Please be sure to keep us posted. BTW I know what you mean about FB encroaching on the forum, but I suddenly find I'm getting bored with FB. I've been spending too much time on there, doing nothing much of any value, so I'm backing off there a bit and hoping to be in here more!

C3 had his interview, but so far he hasn't said anything about it.... so I'll wait to hear! Hope it went well, it really should have as he got a fab report at the end of his internship. There's another interview to come in about 2 weeks, so would be appreciated if you could keep the vibe machine idling in the corner....

Thursday is King's Day here, when we all dress up in orange and eat and drink and make merry all day. Think both boys will be around at some point, so it will be quite jolly. (C1 has arrived in Kathmandu, so she is on track too!) 

Hope you are all staying warm in this very chilly spring!!! xx

• Options
    If anyone would like to come and practice getting the GPO in to a box then feel free .. anything after that will be a breeze I can assure you 
  • Options

Been a tad busy again so I have left a note on my own desk

Chuggy, I will give the man in RW another nudge I think but I type our full title in to the search bar and its about the 2nd or 3rd option down, that seems the easiest way for me either that or save this page as a favourite on your computer and it should pop up each time

It was flippin freezing yesterday, not helped by the fact that it is nearly May for goodness sake and I should be in shorts and t.shirts by now

Last night shift for me and then back in on BH Monday for another set of 7 ..

Sluggy hope all goes well for you on Friday if I don't get a chance to pop in in the meantime, I am sure the moggies will be fine once they realise all the furniture and smells came with them

Chugyy 'walking the tightrope' will also indicate a lack of strength in the hips, doing some proper squats will strengthen and put your alignment back, concentrate on walking properly !!

I have joined a 'bootcamp' effort locally, felt I was in need of something different and am quite enjoying it once I can walk properly .. fine once you can get over the 23 yr old who spend 2 years in the infantry and thinks he is a drill sergeant!   I find myself raising my eyebrows a lot but its good fun and its making me work

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Glad that you are enjoying 'Boot Camp' Meldy. Thanks for your good wishes.

There is a slight flaw in the Chuggy method for enbasketing cats - that is that we have never yet been able to actually hold Sky, never mind pick her up. Anything approaching a 'grab' and she is off. Mind you, she no longer has the bed to hide beneath, so that will help us!

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone - remember me? Just thought I'd find you all to let you know I finally made it to the start line of the London Marafun on Sunday, and bloody finished, in a terrible time of 6:42 (and 3 seconds). Absolute hell from about 14 miles and (despite promising the other half I wouldn't), I am desperate to do it again, and do it better. Madness, but what a phenomenal experience it was. The feeling running over Tower Bridge through a wall of noise will live with me forever.

Hope you're all ok and still "enjoying" your running as far as possible.
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Hi Kieran, Well done for getting to both the start and finish line of VLM, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience. Well, getting Sky in her basket was easier than I feared - I lured her in with Dreamies and shut the door on her when she was far enough in. Poor little girl was frantic :( I doubt it will be that easy next time - which is a shame as she has to go back for a dental soon. I doubt I will look in before we move and don't know when we will get our broadband connected, so will say Au Revoir. (((WIN))) WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Happy belated Dragon Lady

Hope the move is going/ went well Sluggie.

(((((Podds))))

Well done Kieran ( my computer tried to change you to Korean) ( maybe you are?) - sounds like you had a fantastic time

Came out of Ofsted better than expected. Got home yesterday evening then spent the night at A&E. Never phone 111 for advice! OH had symptoms which could have been meningitis but turned out to be a bad case of some strange virus with full body rash. Got to bed at 5 am. Feeling somewhat tired whilst having to be nice to OH - Being with Ofsted suddenly appears preferable!

Have a baby shower to go to this weekend. Not sure I'll fit in it!?

Happy bank holiday weekend. Hope it brings you a bit of something exciting!
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Funny that, I had an e-mail addressed to "Korean" today - maybe a new auto-correct dictionary has been published ?!
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Well we are in! Currently on-line at Tesco as our broadband won't be connected for a while.

We still have about 100 boxes unpacked and nowhere to put anything. We knew that our first priority would be to get some storage built but had under-estimated how much 'stuff' we have  :(

Cats still at cattery until tomorrow. Am now wishing that we had booked them in for a few more days but it is what it is.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're in Sluggie after all the ups and downs.
    I've not been in much recently - have lurked and had the occasional read. Mr P has had a minor op. but this then means he has to come off Warfarin then go back on it, getting blood levels sorted! Oh, and I'm designated driver again. He owes me!
    I dumped him at home and went away last weekend (he's okay - I wasn't that callous!) with my photgraphers to the Lake District. Amazing weather. There's a view from our bunkhouse - who knew???
    Went to the pictures with Pippette to see the RSC Julius Caesar online. Very good, but difficult to sit comforatbaly in the dark after a long day ...
    Nice long weekend ahead. Doing gentle things with Mr P from home (don't take that the wrong way!).
    Next weekend I'm off the Brussels with colleagues for a weekend. Mixed feelings.
    Any news from (((Podds)))?
  • Options
    evening

slugs - good to hear you have moved in, getting sorted and settled can take ages!

kieran - well done! 

had lunch with a friend today, always lovely to meet up and chat for a few hours :)