Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    actually its NickL image
  • Options

Hi everyone

It's a beautiful day here, clear and sunny. It almost makes me wish I did do shifts as I know by the time I get home tonight and out for a run it will be cold and dark.  However, the times I have done shift work in the past I hated it, plus I seemed to get more injuries.  I thought it was something to do we heading out for a run at odd times of the day.

I'll have to admit to being on a diet as well. I tend to follow Clairster in writing down everything I eat so I can keep a track on exactly how many calories I eat.  Portion control is my main problem, I eat all the right stuff just to much of it.

Plan is to head out tonight for a steady 4-5 miles.  I had a good few aches and pains from Monday's run especially one abductor which was really sore yesterday.  They all seem to have gone after a day's rest but no going to push things by doing to much tonight.

Ozy

• Options

My week in numbers:
    Miles run = 0
    x-training = 0.5 (a few pressups/situps/dumbell exercises)
    Walls climbed = 0 (might bring back the virus)
    Gallons of image from nose/mouth= 3

This is a weird cold, bad taste in throat monday before last, achiness from tuesday afternoon, tiredness headaches till friday when gunking up started. Saturday I felt good enough for a short run. Sunday I wasn't quite strong enough for XC. Monday = tired calves (morseo than usual after a race as never usually bothers me unlike quads). Tuesday = return of the gunk! Natures way of telling me I need a week off I think. Damn annoying too as I have loads of "ideas" for training but I can't do it yet, I think Sunday 10k would be unwise, at best I'll be disappointed with result after last 10k. Think I'll concentrate on beer saturday night and beer and Football on Sunday - anyone on here a Man City fan? image "gonna get mauled by the tigers!!"

JBSS - Rombald Stride details  and entry form. See you at Leeds on 22nd also probably at Thirsk. That will probably be my last RR of the year, I was in good enough form for a PB till a week ago, hopefully will refind. 70mins would be nice, do you have a similar target? we finished quite close last year. less rain would be nice! How the adductors after Xtraining? I can never remember if they're innner or outer leg? I think off-road keeps mine in check.

SB - Like yourself I've given in on target. Follow the advice of your medical entourage and you'll be fine (if poor image). As I keep reminding myself, running is a whole body effort, not just legs but core and also shoulders, arms, etc... esepcially for the longer stuff.

Nick - I agree, with shifts you have some potential for daytime running which is good motivation. Especially if your shift patterns are steady? See you 22nd.

Clairster - I salute your healthy efforts. Based on your sacrifices I have given up chocolate for the week. Not for weight, but with cold and wanting to keep strength I figure I should keep to the starchy carbs, good protein and loadsa veg and fruit (about half my shopping budget last night went on it!). Even knowing your at PB weight will give you a boost. As DFD often demonstrates with his mental approach (and Beders was working on his ore-marathon) its a good practise. Its still half luck but when I'm confident and running strong I often surprise myself.

NN - I like the sound of structure of P&D. So many schedules say run X miles or for X long, but don't help on pace or a session target. I may look into P&D for next years FLM.

Cheers,
    Euph

• Options
    Ozy - Nice day here too. So glad I'm....... working till way beyond after dark??!! image Think I might retrain as a night nurse image I got a lovely 8 minutes of sun walking to cafe Nero and back. Not even enough to recharge solar powered watch!
  • Options

SB - can't see your hotpants picture as the internet police at work have classed it as "provocative"...have to wait till I get home!

• Options

Re. diet. I'll tell you what works for me and keeps me steady. Sorry to say its calories!! I don't count them daily but during the week but I roughly know whats in what I eat, etc....
    3 weetabixs + milk + fruit + honey and orange juice = 500cals - porridge works out similar.
    2 "homemade" sandwiches (4sl wholegrain bread / 4sl meat / spread  (e.g. mustard/small amount mayo) = 500cals.
    banana ~ 100cals.  baby toms or small satsumas/clementines > 50cals.
    I drink a few cups of tea a day so maybe 100cals in milk.  
    Then I don't tend to worry about dinner, will eat more on days I train (5m ~ 50cals).
    I have a field day if I run long. The day I did the 38m was a great day!! I couldn't eat enough (inc Dominoes XL pizza to myself) so I ate loads the few days after too.
    Sounds dull but knowing I'm eating well helps and fewer treats mine I enjoy them more.

I'll get my anorak!

• Options
    Euph - when you say you don't worry about dinner do you mean you don't eat dinner or that you don't count calories?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I notice he didn't count beer either. A good plan. I drink so much beer that it's impossible to count it anyway, therefore, it doesn't count!  Huzzaarr!  image  image

SB

• Options
    Surely beer is just flavoured water and so doesn't count?
  • Options
    Its flavoured water -please pay attentionimage
  • Options

Phew - tough set of mile reps this morning. An indication of how much I need to get into shape! Warm up mile was around 9 m/m pace, my intention was to run 4 x 1 mile reps at around 7.30 m/m pace. Times were 7.31, 7.28, 7.28 and 7.27. Then a cool down job to take the total distance to 6.5 miles. I had a generous 2 mins rest between reps.

I found these hard - which is a bit worrying when you loook at the times, before the last London marathon, I was managing 6 at 7.15 pace! Oh well, I guess that's what training's all about!

I'm swimming tonight, then a gentle run in the morning.

• Options

With only 2 min reps that will be hard nick, specially if you've not been doing loads of speedwork. It will feel so much easier next week image

Um - Might try some of that beer stuff, nothing else will cure my virulent man-flu! Drink myself better, where is the weekend when you need it?

• Options

Hi all, hoping to read back later as I feel I have missed a lot over the last week! Just to say I had my bone scan today to hopefully rule out stress fracture as cause of my knee/tibia pain... should get results in a week so as long as it's all clear I am still hoping to join you for a couple of miles along the canal - have decided not to do Abbey Dash now, would be silly to try and race again.

November
    09/11 - Stowmarket Scenic 7: Freemers
    09/11 - Lancaster Half Marathon: JBSS, Nick
    09/11 - Tavy 7 : Night Nurse
    16/11 - St Neots Half: BlueWombat
    16/11 - Thorpe Park 10k: Euph
    16/11 - Flatts Lane XC: JBSS
    16/11 - Epsom 10: Chelsea Plodder
    22/11 - Liverpool Leeds multiterrain canal towpath 19.5m World Championship: Euph, Tutu Much
    30/11 - Thirsk 10m: Euph, Ozy, JBSS
    30/11 - City of Norwich Half Marathon: Freemers

December
    06/12 - Rudolph Romp 24: Euph
    07/12 - Acklam XC: JBSS
    07/12 - stockport 10 (yippppeeee): clairster
    07/12- Nene valley 10 martin
    28/12 - Jolly Holly Jog 10K: JBSS

Jan 2009
    01/01 - Wymondham 10k: Freemers
    03/01 - Hebden 22: Euph? clairster?
    15/01 Folkingham 15 Martin (Maybe)

Feb 2009
    07/02 - Rombalds Stride 22: Euph, clairster, Tutu Much
    15/02 - Liversedge Half Marathon: Tutu Much
    15/02- Samford 30k Martin
    15/02 - Bungay 20k: Freemers
    15/02 - Plymouth Hoe 10 mile : Night Nurse
    22/02 - Snake Lane 10: Euph

March 2009
    01/03 - Meon Valley Plod 20: Chelsea Plodder
    07/03 - Surrey Rumble Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder
    08/03 - Wymondham 20: Freemers
    29/03 - Orion 15: Chelsea Plodder
    29/03 - Reading Half Marathon: Night Nurse

April 2009
    26/04 - Flora London Marathon: Nursey, Beders, Clairster (TBC), Littlest Stoker, Euphster, Sporty Badger, Tutu Much, sIMonO, JBSS, NickM, Freemers, Yaddi

May 2009
    10/05 Halstead Marathon - Pammie
    10/05 - Fred Whitton Challenge: Chelsea Plodder
    31/05 - 20km de Bruxelles: Chelsea Plodder

June 2009
    21/06 - Dave Lloyd Mega Ride: Chelsea Plodder
    28/06 - Dartmoor Classic Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder

July 2009
    12/07 - Iron(wo)Man Switzerland: Tutu Much
    20/07 - L'Etape du Tour: Chelsea Plodder - Now your showing off!!

• Options
    Is something going on or have I simply missed the joke? The last 3 TOTPs have appeared on my computer at 3 from the bottom of the page.

I've just caught up with the great performances at the weekend. Congrats to LS, DfD and Clairster for beating the elements and recording really good times.
  • Options
    Damn, din't get in Snake Lane 10 either!! image anyone else in?
  • Options

Morning,

Euph - I didn't get in, but didn't enter. That's becoming a blummin difficult race to get an entry for isn't it? It's a pretty boring race, in my opinion.

He he, only just seen totps, yes it is NickL really!

I swam last night, so feel a bit tired this morning. But will get out for an easy run this morning. Just 6 miles at a plod. Looks like a lovely morning, with bits of pink in the sky. Once again, it's fab to be running in daylight, means I can do routes I wouldn't chance at night, cycly and river paths especially.

Tutu - are you injured? Sorry I didn't manage to post and even read for a few weeks. What's up? Good news on the lack of stress fracture!

Happy running! 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Had a cracking spinning session last night. We did a good long sprint session on the spinning bikes and I had a huge endorphin/adrenalin rush! It felt good to be working out really hard with zero pain, anywhere!  Got home and did a load of stretches from 4 pages I printed off from t'internet. I'm trying everything I can to beat this injury and I reckon a return to proper stretching while watching TV every night will help.

Defo going to keep these weekly sessions up all the way through the FLM09 campaign. As a result, my legs/hip/groin feel OK today so will attempt another easy 5 at lunchtime.

Good running there Nick. the old pace will soon be back, fear not.

Good luck with the bone scan Tutu...Fingers crossed...

SB

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

T O T P !!

Bingo-Bango it's all mine!!! image

Just in case anyone's interested, here's the link to the stretches I did last night and will continue to do. The Piriformis one is an interesting one!

What I should have been doing for some time now!

SB

• Options
    Do you do them naked or in trunks?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

In my Hotpants of course!

I hear LS and beders do them in their Borat mankinis...

SB

• Options

Did my 8 miler today, having done zero running since Saturday, and expected it to be a doddle.

It wasn't. Stopped for a breather at halfway, then plodded home, with the overall pace 8.17's !?!? I cruised the same run at 8.04's last week working nowhere near as hard ? Don't normally get big fluctuations in how I run, but today was a shocker for me.

1156 for the year.

LIttle Sluggish

• Options

NickM - Never got in Snake Lane, usually booked out before I even try. Not too bothered, more gutted about Brass Monkey really. Still plenty of races out there including all the XC and winter league races which are a bargain for this tight northerner - in latin, nil.

SB - What about Lunges!!! A must when your working out in the ol' mankini image Decent stretches on that link, I do most of those, not all though and with some variations.... in my speedo's wearing a fake tash image

I've just made myself very unpopular at work getting four large holes drilled through the wall of a call centre, about 45mins on/off drilling with a large bore drill! I can't help but smile a bit imageNot my fault boss wouldn't pay for an out of hours contract job.

Might try a run tonight, just a short slow one. Avoiding chocolate this week and being sensible while not running much seems to have worked. Actually lost weight! Sort that tomorrow with a few of what you earthlings call beers?

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Euph, I are mostly be the Mayor of Lunge City at the moment. Gotta keep the hips flexors nice and long! Even been doing them at mu desk; got some strange looks too.

Just back from a cheeky 5 miler. The first mile has a bit of uphill and I was pleased to see a 7.03 at the first marker. Feeling good and having a pelvis back where it should be, I bombed on for a tempo. Posed a 5 mile pace of 6.55. Really happy with that as the injury pain was much less in the hip/groin area and the 'twist' sensation I was having with the mis-aligned pelvis had gone. Why didn't I get this sorted a year ago!!!????  image

Probably quicker than I should have done but if there's pain tomorrow at least the fizz can focus on it.

LS: they can't all be good 'uns. We have to have some bad ones to make the good ones feel so good. How many other people do you know ran 8 miles today? Not many I'll wager.  Stop sulking and look forward to the next belt around Angis!

SB (on the mend....Hopefully!)

• Options

LS - you might be coming down with a cold or something?

Just done a 5 mile treadmill run with no pain in the achilles. Just need to see whether it stiffens up or not - let's hope not.

• Options

SB I quite often do my stretches and exercises in the office over lunchtime.  I just lock the door and put the light off, pretending I'm not it.  I did get caught doing my back exercises once which earned me some very funny looks.

LS as SB says everyone has a bad run from time to time.  Usually it's just one of those things.  Unless you've got manflu from running round with just your mankini on?

Ozy

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Ozy: Did you have your mankini on when you got caught doing your back stretches, alone, in a darkened office, humming Pour Some Sugar On Me...?

I don't feel well all of a sudden!  I've gone all giddy!  image

SB  image

• Options
    An office? A locked door? Goodness, some of you live in another world to a pauper like me!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Public stretching for you then Nick?  Thong, Birdkini, boiler suit or bloomers?

How do you do yours?

SB

• Options
    I'm thinking some baggy joggers and an old 'mucking out' jumper SB, all glamour me!