Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I forgot about your 3.16. Awesone time for an old bird!

SB

• Options

Thank you all!

Sporty badger - I loved your idea of picking up the pace towards the end of a run. And wow you must be so talented to run these times on low mileage! I 'need' high mileage for the following reasons:

*I like it! I start to really enjoy a run after the first 10km are gone! It's when I hit the 1.30-2 hours that it 'does it' for me!

* I have a tendency to 'emotional eat' and to get a bit lardy! High mileage helps me to stay lean (like all runners I wish I were leaner but it's a toss between pizza and being skinny and pizza will always win. sigh.).

* I have gone through a lot of stress in the past year, I nearly divorced (do not commiserate me, I was the b*tch at fault) and honestly if it was not for the calming and zen-like effect of the long runs I would have thrown myself under the Eurostar. Or packed my bag and jumped on it!

Freemers - OMG you are a SUPERSTAR! From 3.47 to 3.16 - that's brilliant! I know boys half your (our) age who would happily sacrifice their gonads for a time like that! What you say makes a lot of sense and I was noticing today when I was running that while my respiratory system is already recovered and strong after the marathon but my legs still hurt and I think it is because my muscles are not used to pound faster.

Now, I have club runs on wednesday night that are a bit of a race in disguise and I don't really like them too much (mostly because they are inthe evening and I like running in the early am) but after all your feedback i am going to force myself to get there every week and run those 6 miles fastish.

Lastly, loved your idea of the km reps although I must confess I still have to see how a 4.30 min/km looks like!

So thank you all and I will keep you posted,

I HEREBY PLEDGE TO GO TO CLUB RUN NEXT WEEK.

• Options

Ah f.c.k. I forgot I am away at a conference next week!!

I change my pledge:

I HEREBY PLEDGE TO GO TO CLUB RUN WEEK AFTER NEXT

(quitter already!)

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Talking of quitting. I'm currently stuffing my face whenI should be out on a run. left my Garmin at home, my colleague who I'd planned to run with can't make it and I really can't be bothered, especially as my back injury is niggling a bit.

So, it's into the gym on the way home for intervals on the treadmill. 10 x 400m with 60 sec recoveries awaits followed by a mega core strength session.

Lazy Bar Steward

SB

• Options

You lazy bar stewardimage

I went for a 12.6km slow run (=shuffle) this morning ...

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Woooaaahhh!! You wait 5 months for a Top Of The Page and then two come along at once!!

The thread is rocking again. Get in there!! image

SB

• Options

Well I'm just in from what was meant to be a 10 minute visit to the new woman in my life........The old magic must be returning to The Stoker!!
    Because my head has been turned, coupled with being a lazy bugger, I havent run in 9 days. I'm getting plenty cardiovascular work, but the running is zero. She goes to the gym 4 times a week, and has a Jessica Ennis physique, so if Im gonna keep her, I may have to pull the shorts on regularly again.
    Glad to see the old thread has a pulse again.
    Well done Babs. You are the defibrillator!!

Nice to see you again too Freemers.

Stoker.

ps She commented tonight on what great legs I have.
         What took her so long to notice???????

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Were you wearing your shorter 'going out' kilt?

Glad to hear you're being put through your paces, however it seems you'll need to keep the runniig going to build stamina. Lucky sod!

Did a really good treadmill session last night. 10 x 400m efforts with a minute jog inbetween. The 10 efforts were done at 17kmh which I think puts the pace as 5.40-ish. The whole workout was 4.1 miles at 7.19 average pace I thumped that machine good and hard for just under 30 mins and almost drew a crowd. I don't think the other members had seen a treadmill abused in such a way before. Felt good.

Followed on with the core strength session and then home for an unhealthy tea, a couple of beers and spitting vitriol at the idiots on Question Time.

Now the small matter of being nervous all day about England ballsing it up against the football powerhouse that is Montenegro tonight.

SB

• Options

Well I went to the gym last night n did the hilly level 2 14 miler at 7.53 pace.
    It maybe aint super specific training, but it gets into my head that I can do the miles. The weeks have flown by, and so its only 2 weeks on Saturday that the Glen Campbell half is. Badger, I remember you saying that one day before you pop yer clogs, you'll experience the stovie eating, mug collecting, fresh November weather on an undulating n unforgiving course that is the Glen Clova weekend. If you want to, there is a ceilidh afterwards if you book into the hotel or the lodges with hot tubs alongside. My mate hasnt done much running recently so revealed today that he's hoping for a 1.41. My runs have been about 1.43 pace, so with a good week next week, I might be on his shoulder for the last mile or two??

Hope all are well.
    The new love of my life n me will be going our seperate ways, as I'm up in Brechin every weekend seeing the kids, and she knows she cant handle every weekend on her own. We get on better than great, but theres no answer. We're gonna keep seeing each other for a while, to 'keep each other company', but the end is nigh. Ah well, at least I put a smile on her face!

Stonker.

• Options

So, prior to the above post, I'd nipped out for 5 pints of Guinness n umpteen games of dominoes with my old man n his mates. £1 a game. Didnt win any!? Went to bed early as I was up early today, so asleep by 9.10. Woke up needing a pee, but feeling like Id had a good sleep. Reckoned it might be 4.30-5am. It was 11.15? Dozed til 12.20, but Id taken the edge off my sleepiness, n also had a big deal at work whizzing round my head. Watched telly til 2am, then decided to use the time n go forra run. So at 3.20am I headed out into the deserted streets of Dundee n did 8 miles at 7.58 pace. Just out the bath, all shaved n fresh. I'll be in the office for 6.45, then its a busy day up Aberdeen. See my lady friend this evening, then up to Brechin for diy and watch my boy play football Sunday.

Midnight Stoker

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Did a 10 miler on Sunday, longest run since May. Run it pretty much at LSR pace but put in a business mile at the end to test myself further, to see how fatigued my legs are. Averaged 7.48 pace which was comfy so the shorter quality sessions I've been doing must be working.

Found a cinder running track just 1 mile from the office last week. Ran there on Thursday, did 10 x 400m efforts with 200m recoveries and then ran back to work. Cracking session, will certainly do it again.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Back to back tough sessions this week with 6 hilly miles at 7.19 pace on Tuesday followed by a pyramid session at the local track on Wednesday. Part of the speed session was a series of 200m sprints. pace for on of them was 4.45 which i was happy with until you realise that the elites do that for a full marathon! I was breathing through my jaxy after just 200m.

10 miles tomorrow at easy pace.

SB

• Options

Well I went out last night n did a 8.7 mile run with a huge hill in the middle. Last month I did it the first time was at 8.18 pace. Second time was 7.53 pace. Last night felt like the old days, n I was actually running properly n finished well at 7.34 pace. Although my undulating 14 milers were on a treadmill, its obviously strengthened the legs. A confidence booster for Glen Campbell which is a week tomorrow. Last year was 1.41. If I hadnt been distracted by my sex hungry supermodel at the start of the month, when I did nothing for 2 weeks, I might have been confident of sub 1.40. Ive always been one for the miles, so never had the focus to do the structured work you do Badge. I know theyd have a great effect on my times. Theyd also get me used to levels of discomfort way above what a half delivers. I'd love to be within touching distance of my fastest mate come the last mile or two n have a mental battle.

Stonker.

• Options

Up at 5am. Out the door for 5.30 into a black icy morning. Brand new lime green New Balance trainers. Still a skinflint, only paying £35. Cant believe anyone can justify £140 on trainers.The country roads up in the hills above Dundee werent the best with a few pockets where you couldnt let go down a hill, or where every stride was slipping slightly under your feet.
    Did 13.44 miles and felt strong, at 7.57 pace. Looked back at last years training for Clova, and its almost identical times, but I've maybe done a smidgin more on the hills this year, so we'll see.
    I'll go get a paper soon, put on a £5 fixed odds coupon with my old man, then up the road to Brechin to see my kids.

Stokey

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sounds like you're hitting a good groove again Stokesy boy.

Knocked out a casual 10 miler at 7.42 pace yesterday. First 5 miles were around 8m/m but found myself gradually getting quicker and treated myself to a 7.18 final mile, I was hungry and wanted breakfast. Same as last weel's 10.

Still carrying a back injury which is pinching my sciatic nerve and causing strange leg feelings in the right leg. Doing my physio exercises but not sure if I'll complete the training campaign for the Brighton marathon...we'll see.

SB

• Options
    I've been having a quick glance over these spring marathon threads for a couple of days, but not really sure where to start as some of them are years old, and I've been a bit unsure what my target time should be. I've read over the first and last few pages of this one and think this might be the place for me!

I'm training for VMLM 2014, which will be my first, after I started running regularly about a year ago. My first race was the Great South Run (10m) a couple of weeks ago - 1:19:54. I'm doing the Gosport Half in a fortnight, Reading half on March 2nd before the big one in April. I've based my training plan on Hal Higden Advanced 1, modified slightly to fit in the Reading half, and that all starts just over a week after Gosport, so all fits in quite well. The Higden site advises against trying an advanced program for a first timer, but I'm already not far off the week 1 mileage and I think I'm up to it. I don't just want to to do the minimum and finish it, I'm too competitive within myself for that.

I ran an easy 13.1 miler yesterday in under 2 hours, I guess when I get an official time from a HM race in a couple of weeks I'll have a better idea, but I reckon 3:30-3:45 is a good starting point. Lots of miles and improvement to come before April.
  • Options

Hullo Jack n welcome to the thread. Like an old boozer, the place used to be jumping, but now me n Badger n maybe Freemers occasionally defibrillate it.
    It dragged me kicking n screaming to my 3.43 at London in 2008. If you alter the page number in the address bar thingy at the top, then if you go back to say Winter 2007/2008 or 2008/2009, then reading through all the posts will help. If you stick a question on here, me n Badge will have a pop at helping you. My marathon training was just 3 runs a week. Wednesday and Friday I did 10 milers at about 7.30 pace. Sunday I did my long run, and me n Badge advocate doing at least 7 runs of 20 miles or over before the big day to boost your confidence. I seemed to do these no problem at about 8.20 pace, and so holding 8.30 pace on the day wasnt such a big leap.
    Great that your first race ended up under 8 min mile pace. Those 6 seconds I think are huge mentally.
    Tonight I ran my very hilly 8.69 mile route again, but felt I didnt run it as hard as last time, so was amazed to see it was 22 seconds quicker, so was 7.31 pace. My improving fitness has meant the four times Ive run it, the pace has been 8.18, 7.53, 7.34, 7.31, with plenty more to come. You'll see your graph of improvement change just the same as your training increases.

Good luck anyway Chopper.

Stoker.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Jack "Chopper" Harris. This place may liven up a bit as we get closer to the spring marathon campaign trail. Meanwhile you'll just see me and Stoker as the old boys playing dominoes in the corner of the old boozer.

I went from 3.47 in London 2006 to 3.23 this year in Paris with the help of this thread, so stick around for some good advice.

My base training in prep for training proper in December continues. Yesterday I did my first tempo run on the road for quite some time. Managed 5 miles at 6.46 pace which was rather pleasing as it was a breezy day and I haven't run that hard for a while.

I'm trying a different approach for the Brighton marathon in an attempt to stay injury free. I'll be doing just 3 x 20+ milers but there will be plenty of 14-18 milers to keep the endurance developing. They will all be run at around 8.30 pace too. my target for Brighton is sub-3.20.

SB

• Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'll sift through those old pages and I'm sure this place will get busier as marathon training plans start. Mine is 19 weeks from early December, but it's really just continuation and stepping up from Great South and Gosport half training, as well as educating myself! Great South training was very primitive, just running 2-3 times a week pretty much around 10% under race pace, building distance over a few months. That worked ok but having done some reading I'm starting to realise the benefits of different types of training.

LS - I agree with the sub 8 min GSR time, was so happy to crack that. It had been my target for a while, but I was afraid I wouldn't get near it as it was ambitious in the first place, and I was ill the week leading up to the race, then there was the weather. The last 2 miles running into 40mph gusts was like running with someone on your back, and I'd only left myself 17 mins to cover that last 2 miles. I think it's a good thing mentally though, I now know that feeling when your whole body is screaming at you to ease off, and the pain and feeling sick but I kept picking people off then found that little bit extra to speed up through the last 400m to just get in ahead of my target. Doing it at the end of a marathon is obviously another thing altogether, but I think it's good practice.

My training plan I'm going to go with has only got 3 x 20 milers, a 19 mile, and lots of 14-17 milers as well as Reading Half 6 weeks before which I guess will be a good bit of race practice. I may increase some of those Sunday long runs by a mile or 2, will see how I'm going in the new year.

Thanks again for the replies, it's always good to talk to talk to people about their experiences and I'm sure it'll keep me focused. I'm a newbie but really got the bug!
  • Options
    That's good pace as well guys, definitely the sort of times I'll be aiming at over the next few weeks
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good work at the GSR Jack. I know a few that did it and the reports confirmed that there was just the hint of a breath of wind. image (Xmas emoticons!!! It's November FFS!!).

You'll see from previous posts that I'm a big advocate of mixed sessions. I'm building a 3 runs per week program that have 2 week cycles:

Week 1 - LSR, Intervals, regular run with lots of hills
    Week 2 - LSR tempo - regular run with lots of hills

The hills build strength, so find a bumpy route if you can.
    Intervals will build speed and develop lactic threshold
    Tempo sessions will push the lactic threshold and teach your body to run further at a higher pace.

If you want details on how to structure each session, let me know.

SB

• Options
    Glen Clova Half Marathon today at 12pm.

A pefect blue sky no wind frosty day.

A perfectly timed run.

1 hour 36 minutes.

1 min 58 secs off my 5 yo pb.

Only my second ever sub 1.40!

My mate did 1.36.31.

Other mate did 1.40.52.

His 7th pb in 7 half marathons.

My son is having 5 pals for a sleepover.

My daughter is having 2 sleepover.

Im sat here by the fire happy as a pig in shit!

Stonker!!!!
  • Options

Wow! Well done Stoker. Do you think it's all the sex?

• Options
    Im sure I had sex 5 years ago too!!!!!
  • Options

No, I've read back, no mention of sex at all. Lots of bathing, and shitting in the woods, but no sex.

Seriously, it's a cracking time you must be over the moon. I have got a club place for London so I will be following a bit more closely too.

• Options
    Cheers Puffo.

You're probably right actually...

Chuffed to buggery, whatever that means or implies!?!

After 2 hilly miles I looked at my watch..14.38. Maybe fast, but I feel comfy, so I wont slow down. Kept waiting on the big wallop that never came. Just as well with my mate only 31 seconds behind me.He brought his pb down from 1.39ish. A really perfect Autumn Angus day. Frosty, but pefect for me. No oppressive heat. No dehydration. No wind. Britains most beautiful county and scenery and people. Worked hard to the finish line. I wasnt a zombie, so maybe there was room for a smidgin more, but as I never glanced at my watch at all after the 2 mile mark, I had no idea of my time til 2 yards out I lifted my head n saw it clickfrom 1.35.59 up. Peachy. Half bang on 1.36. Full bang on 3.43. I did wonder whether the old half record was as good as it would ever get.

A Happy Stoker.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well done Stoker, that's a fine run indeed. You deserve it for many reasons, not least the mental attitude shown when doing stupid length runs on the treadmill.

Treat yourself to Sunday beer too. You've earned it.

Did my longest run since Paris yesterday. 12.6 miles at LSR pace on one of my old routes, nice to hit those roads again. I kept it proper slow but treated myself to a quick finish and averaged 7.55 pace. Then realised that if I did the extra half mile I'd have done a HM in under 1.45 which I remembering busting a gut for years ago and here I am trotting it out in a keep it slow stylee. A nice feeling that.

Reckon I might have a beer tonight and raise a glass to that Stoker, whose magnificent milky McThighs delivered his PB and put some manners on his pals.

SB