Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Petition To prevent all hydraulic fracturing from taking place within the Peak District

I hope you do not mind me posting the following item in this thread. Our wide open spaces and national parks are places where many of us are fortunate to train hence the reason where I mention it here.

We recently heard about relatively new method for exploiting resources from our land, Fracking, the impact the required practices will have is of great concern to us all. BBC news reported on Fracking under national parks backed by MPs.
    MPs voted to allow fracking for shale gas 1,200m below national parks and other protected sites.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35107203
    There is a petition to prevent all hydraulic fracturing from taking place within the Peak District.
    “In the light of HM Government’s recent decision to allow hydraulic fracturing via horizontal drilling, we state this decision should be repealed with an immediate effect. Not only due to the UK’s recent agreement to tackle climate change in Paris, also preserve the Peak District for future generations.”
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/117267
    You can find a collection of links and references about hydraulic fracking at
    http://peakdistrictadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/destroy-peak-district-case-for-fracking.htm

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH hope your Dad's ok

Stewart nice 12m and well done on the week's total

Michael nice long run and great week's training

Stuart nice recovery week and well done on that grim wet MLR

Sub17 nice mix of training there

NP well done on the double today

HM I find it doesn't take too long for 75% to be faster than 5k+3 - once you get there you can aim to do an easier run once a week at 70%, if you're tired...

---

2m recovery jog for me then back on the treadie for 7 x 160m strides off 160m jogs.  Just missed the rain, which was lucky...image

• Options

MG7, A good long run and totals for the week, 

SM, Yeah I'm treating last weeks as my recovery, I took a leaf out of your book, I'm glad however to have got the MP run out of the way though image.

It sounded like it was tough conditions for your MLR last night, and they say it can be difficult to loose weight whilst training for a marathon, I guess it is because we need to make sure we take on board enough fuel to get us safely through our runs without causing a negative effect

S17, Nice to mix it up a little, good luck with pr at the weekend

NP, great totals for the week and well done with the long swim and 6 on the trails today

HM, I'm sure the improvements will come 

Tek, Great timing  missing the rain, image

----------------------

9 with 5 @ LT tonight, I ran the first mile too fast and compromised the session, I need to be more disciplined with my pacing or is it I've just lost the knack of digging deep when it gets tough!

Anyway I'll have another opportunity next week to do it again but better!  

• Options
    SM good recovery week, sure you will be baxk strong again this week.

Stewart nice 12 and a good weeks running, starting to build back the miles.

Sub good treadmill and weight work.

NP good double and excellent total for the week.

MG7 nice weeks running .

Tek well done on the easy run and a bitmof speed on the treadmill, hope you are still improving form the lurgie.

5 m yesterday to make 58 for the week, 12.3 tonight with just under 8 m with the club @7.06 .

Away with work for a few days now so hopefully get a couple of runs in, might have to be a easier week.
  • Options

Good training guys and mileage totals.

Today: 10km treadmill done in 39m40secs and 30 mins on RPM bike.

Tomorrow will be 20 to 30 mins alternating between 1 min @ MP and 1 min @ 10km pace on treadmill. 30 mins on RPM bike.

Thursday will be 10km on treadmill in sub 40 mins, 2km rowing machine and 30 mins RPM bike.

Friday is my rest day before my Park Run on Saturday. 

Sunday will be another rest day. I will alternate between an easy cycle and rest day until I need to utilise this day to run 8+ mile long runs  in lead up to my HM races in August.

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Morning all, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread anyone got any suggestions for a good sub 4 hour programme about, less than 15 weeks but I will be coming off the back of half iron man training

• Options

What is your current weekly mileage?

If you can get up to the relevant weekly mileage, then the P&D 12 week programmes are good- they have different programmes for "less than 55miles" per week peak mileage ( 4-5 days per week), or higher mileages at 6 days per week.

If you want to keep doing lots of cross training , and only run 3 times per week, it IS possible to run a sub-4 marathon using the "FIRST" programmes, but probably not the best way to run a good marathon (I've tried both plans, and I'd prefer P&D, as long as you aren't going to end up injured through too much of a sudden increase in weekly mileage.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.

Stewart,

Thanks.
  • Options
    Quick post as on phone, and its a pain to type out anything!

8 with 5 @ 6:44 done. Felt harder than I'd like but maybe just down to squats yesterday and Xmas weight gain. Get to try again next week...
  • Options

Simo, As Tricia says a lot depends on your running history and what you can commit to, another option would be the Hal Higdon marathon plans they might have one that fits best

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide

MG, some more good running with the club, I hope you manage to get some running in whilst away with work, 

S17, a quick 10 there, good luck with the rest of the week

SM, a great run all the same, what is your HM pace target?

------------------

6 miles this evening with JS, I took the steady paced group tonight which usually runs around 9 - 9:30, we averaged 8:55 tonight, I was happy with that after last night LT run, the legs must be getting stronger

• Options

NP good weekly totals (for the now FT athleteimage ) suspect your "easy" might be my flat out!

Nice come back Tek and thanks, Dad is holding up at home with 24/7 help but really quite frail.

Hope you get the runs in whilst away MG1

Good indoor sessions sub17 ( weather bad?)

Welcome Simo429

Pacy hard session Stuart

Nice JS session Stewart and good 9 miles the day before (beginning to pack the miles in again image )

8.25 including 3 X 1 mile reps followed by badminton for me tonight

• Options

Quick post will try and catch up later 

A good week so far 13.5 done in 1.56 @8.37 pace on monday 

Last night was meant to be a track session but life / socalising took over and I had to grt a run done in the afternoon , I decided to try and blast a 10k , tough in tne terrible cold wind but chuffed to run 47.23 .. average 7.37 on tired legs so all easy now till 10k race on Sunday , hoping for sub 45.30 , did 45.47 ( PB) last year on that course into a bad head wind , weather lookimg to calm down a bit by the weekend 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Come back delayed again---now I have Shinglesimage

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Bad news Tek! image

Hello All ... I will join inimage. 2015 was my worst running year to date but back at it now and aiming for the Nottingham marathon in September. Before then the plan is to put in a solid performance at Leeds HM in May and to do my first Olympic distance Tri in Leeds in June. By then I'll be 50 and ready to start marathon training. Meanwhile I'll try to let you guys inspire me! image

So far January has been a case of building back some basic fitness and consistency ... 13 runs in 13 days so far but nothing fast and nothing longer than 5.4 miles. Also 74 miles of bike commuting in the bag. I'm focussing on losing some weight too, so intensity is low (run and bike) as I'm on low carbs. Hopefully I can kick off properly in February.

• Options

Tek - Bloody hell you don't seem to have much luck on the illness front, hope you're well soonimage

NN - That's a couple of cracking efforts, if you can do that 10k time on your own I'm sure you'll PB on Sunday. Good luckimage

OH - Well done on the mile repsimage

Stewart - A good 6 miles the day after a tough effort.image 
    Target HM pace for Alloa is 6:42 (1:28) so just about their last night but effort was too high. I think I'll try to do 9k tempo next week, then do 10k for the 6 mile one in a few weeks. Not doing the 7, but I think my 15k race is that week so that's close enough! I still plan another few HMP runs on top of the planned ones too.

Simo - P&D 12/55 mentioned above would be a good shout, but depends on what sort of mileage you are currently working at.

S17 - some good training thereimage

MG - Nice weekly total and a good club effort on Mondayimage

-------------

4-6 miles planned for tonight

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.

-----------

Tek,

Hope you get better soon.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 7/8 lbs to go here it will start to drop once the long runs kick inimage That was a nice 8 miles done yesterday, hope your run tonight went okimage

Teknik sorry to hear you have shingles mateimage Hope your feeling well soon.

SC well done on the last two days running mate, look at your times and try and do the intervals all at the same pace the effect will be better next time out.image

MG1 some more great running banked enjoy a few warm weather sessions on your travelsimage

SUB 17 some nice sessions going inimage

Simon Welcome having done a half Iron man your endurance should stand you well. There are a number of different plans about, I would say that 5 xn long runs should add up to 100 that way you know you will have the endurance in your legsimage

OH nice running sirimage and badminton image

NN great training as always will be interesting on how you go on Sunday " Eyeballs out"image

Welcome back Dr D Sorry to hear 2015 was not the best, your only a young man image age is just a number.image consistency is the key.

Six miles on the trails yesterday morning then a pyramid session with the club last night which was enjoyableimage Due to a family bereavement I ditched the swim this morning and ran just over 9 miles on the trails. Tomorrow will be two runs but out early for the first.image

• Options

Tek - that's a bummer!

short pool swim tonight before heading across to Stromness for a friend's book launch

• Options

Tek, that is unlucky, hopefully you will get over them quickly image

OH, very impressive managing to partake in a game of badminton after an interval session

NN, I'm sure you will get that PB at the weekend, good luck not that you will need it image

Dr Dan, welcome back, I'm sure you be back up to full fitness in no time

SM, your fairly close to target time now and you're only 5 weeks into the plan keep the faith, good luck with the easy run tonight

NP, Sorry to hear about the family bereavement, A good session with the club and well done with the trail run today, enjoy the double day tomorrow

----------------

A 10 mile GA run this evening, I kept it fairly easy tonight I was a little heavy legged, tomorrow I'll need to make a judgement call on the hill work with the club. 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Dr Dan welcome aboard, good luck with the plans for this yearimage

In further news, blood tests have revealed I still have a chest infection, so more anitbiotics...won't be running for a while.

• Options

Tek, take care and I hope this course of antibiotics clears the infection up

• Options

Indeed, I too was rather heavy legged the following day Stewartimage hence just a short "loosener" swim yesterday. Out with JS group later this evening ...

Hope that's illness/injury out of the way for 2016, once this episode is over for you Tek.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Mend soon Tek! image   Are you still "Hadding" (when not ill)?

NP - sounds like some serious doubling up there. image

StewartC ... nice 10 miler. I haven't run that far in a while. Assume you're on P&D?

AOH - I need to get in the pool. Not a great fan of swimming but know it does me good ... I need an upcoming triathlon to scare me into the water.

Run number 14/14 of 2016 done ... 3.4 mile run from home to the bike shop to collect my re-built "winter bike", and then cycled it to work. Felt like a new bike, which will make commuting easier and more enjoyable.

• Options

Tek - that's a bummer!

short pool swim tonight before heading across to Stromness for a friend's book launch

• Options
    OH nice rep work and a bit of badminton .

Stewart good 10 banked.

NP top training as normal, sorry to hear the news.

NN looking good with that speed work.

Tek that's a shocker image hope you can get it sorted soon.

Welcome DD,

Out in majorca for business so fitted in a Nice 7.5 along the Palma coast yesterday followed by another 10 m this morning , fantastic conditions out here, 15 - 21 0c , no wind and bright sunshine .

Now back to reality and the UK image
  • Options

Yesterday was 4 miles in 24 mins on treadmill. Today was 8 miles on treadmill  in 50 mins. Tomorrow will be a rest day before my Park Run on Saturday.

• Options

Sorry for yet another accidental repost above image

sounds, err, very nice MG1

don't really enjoy pool swimming either, Dan, but it keeps a different set of muscles going. Now, OW swimming: that is fun image

Another starry icy miles done this evening image

• Options

OH, I hope the JS run went well tonight and you enjoyed the book launch

MG, not at all jealous..... well maybe a littleimage

Dr Dan, yeah P & D plan for me, well done with the run and cycle,

---------------

Hill work in the snow with the Tri club tonight, 2 sets of hills 7 & 6 reps with a short jog between sets, It was less than 4 miles in total but hard work all the same, this has brought the streak of 9 days running to an end rest/xt day tomorrow. 

• Options

Stewart - Good work on the hill repsimage

OH - Well done on getting the icy miles doneimage

MG - Aye, rub it in why don't you! Good runningimage

S17 - Good luck with the parkrun on Saturdayimage

NP - Sorry to hear about the family bereavement. Nice training though!image

Dr Dan - Well done on the run and cycleimage

------

Just under 5 miles yesterday, and 8 tonight with 8x2 minutes trying not to go any faster than 5k pace (6:05ish?) which was largely stuck to.  

• Options

OH Your getting some good sessions in

NP Well done with the pyramids... sorry about family bereavement..

MG1 The reality is nice ... lovely cold icy runs..image great sessions keep it up when u get backimage

Tek Get this sorted and you'll be back for 2016

SM6 Sound like good quality runs.. well done

SC great hill reps espec. with snow

S17PR  Good treddy sessions

8.4mile treddy session tuesday (60mins), 3.4 miles wednesday, 5.3 miles reps with work (I was cream crackered so I did longer/slower reps surprisingly pace quite good). Went indoor climbing tonight which has loosened things up nicely