Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Fiona - Well done on the sessions. Feels good to get something done so early though, even if its not great at the timeimage

Stewart - Nice MP run, how does that compare with the pace you are hoping to run?

MG - Good couple of midweek effort theirimage

Tek - Well done on the 13, don't push too much though!image

----------

Felt fine after a short sleep yesterday evening, I think it was just doing cooped up in a warm room all day at the work that done me. Could have went out around 10 or 11 for a MLR but just decided to continue with the cut back week.

8 this afternoon @ 8:30s

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 don't think a few changes will make a massive difference, rest is a big part of training, keep well hydrated and well done on todays 8 milesimage

HappyNew Year Teknik sorry to hear your chest infection was so bad, nice to see you out doing a MLR keep safe mate. Nice race list image

Welcome Book Trunk.image

MG1 Nice 8 miles yesterdayimage

SC well done thats a nice 12 in the bank and hope the clams and side leg raises are helpingimage

Fiona thats a great block of training, well done on the dark'oclock stuffimage

Well did just over 8 miles up the forest yesterday afternoon and kept dry until the six mile point when the heavens opened....... Today was the second double day of the week with just over 7 miles on the trails this morning and just over 6 miles on the road and flat before tea time. Easy swim and 4 easy tomorrow

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM good luck and keep me postedimage

Booktrunk welcomeimage

MG ok they'll be in the next update.  Mileage building nicely...image

Stewart nice MP block doneimage

Fiona nice training and especially well done on the early startimage

Stuart well done on the 8 mlerimage

NP well done on the forest 8 and nice double day todayimage

---

Just a short 2m w/up and then a mile of strides on the treadie for me - didn't fancy the pouring rainimage

• Options

Tek, nice little session on the treadie, best to keep dry and warm it will help with the recovery

Booktrunk, welcome to the thread are you following P&D?

NP, you are getting in some great sessions, well done with the almost dry 8 miles and double day today

SM, I am aiming for sub 3:45 which I think is achievable, although after Manchester I was hoping for a sub 3:30 this time out but after the summer I have had a sub 3:45 is probably a sensible goal.

Well done with the 8 today and I think you are wise to treat this as your recovery week.

Fiona, some tough sessions on the turbo, enjoy the rest day tomorrow

---------------

Tri club session tonight I didn't have time for a proper warm up so just did the dynamic warm with some strides, tonight was 2 sets of 6 hill with a jog between sets, tough but fun!

• Options
    Stewart looking for 15 of the 20 at goal pace, the race is 4 x 5 m loops so first one to warm up then the next 3 to test the fitness. Good work on the mp run image

Fiona well done on the training, yes great to get it done early.

SM nice 8 done, building nicely.

NP great double day, will need those soon to build the mielage up to the next level.

Tek nice little session, hope you feeling a better and stronger.

Another 8 tonight at a good steady pace, rest day tomrrow then LR on saturday.
  • Options

StewartC: nah not rally this year, more admiring how much you lot put in and lurking a bit. the mileage on P&D just seems to break me. 

• Options

2 x Park Runs and 4 treadmill runs for a total of 25 miles for my opening week of 2016

I will stick between  20 to 30 miles per week for most of this year as I try to get to 1000 miles for the year.

Friday will be a rest day, before my Park Run on Saturday. Treadmill runs: Mon to Thursday. Sunday will be a day off until I need to run 60 to 90 mins when I train for my 10k to HM races.

I will do most of my Sunday long runs on treadmill so I can run them at a constant pace and low incline.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.

Tek,

Will do. I've found out I was trying to keep my HR too low (70%) so will see what pace 75% gives.
  • Options

MG, nice 8 miler at a good lick, I hope you have enjoyed your rest day and good luck with the LR tomorrow

Booktrunk, yeah it is a tough plan, just keep build those miles slowly and you will be able to handle those higher mileage plans

S17, I would be inclined to do my long runs out on the road, and a little bit of undulation will help strengthen the legs

----------------

An easy 5 miler tonight, the legs are feeling the strain, I have decided to move my LT run to next week which should help.  

In other news my new Garmin Forerunner 920xt arrived I should now be able to record my lack of swimming ability for all too see image

• Options

Relatively uneventful trip down to Essex despite holey runway at Aberdeen. image

5k loop at home before heading to airport.

• Options
    Stewart well done on your easy run, enjoy the swimmingimage

OH nice little 5 k, bet its a bit chilly back at home.

18 m @ 7.36 this morning, felt a good one and hopefully a good sign going forward.
  • Options

I ran 17:05 in my Park Run today and first again. So close to another sub 17 minute Park Run and I faded again after 2 miles. 

• Options

MG - Thats a quality 18, well doneimage

OH - Well done on the short run before the flight.image

Stewart - I've a 920, which is completely unnecessary for my needs but I love it! I'm not looking forward to these longer LTs 2 5s a 6 and a 7? Don't even think I'll attempt the 7, certainly not continuous anyway.

HM - I don't understand HR training, but then I think I'm a bit of an outlier in that my HR increases very easily (I'd need to be almost walking for 70%) but can race at a very very high HR.

Tek - Don't blame you staying inside!

NP - More great running and swimmingimage

----------

8 this afternoon at a very gentle 8:50, nice and easy. Planned 12 tomorrow, but may do 10 @ MP within that

• Options

OH, well done getting a run in on a travel day, 

MG, a great 18 mile run and a real confidence boost

S17, your are knocking out some consistent times 

SM, I am also dreading those sessions I may just do the Tri Club session in their place as we will be moving on to HM race pace sessions in a few weeks.  Well done with the easy run earlier and good luck with the 12 miler tomorrow

---------------

7 miles GA this afternoon, lovely crisp day the view in the Firth was amazing the water was like a mirror.  I think I will do 12 tomorrow 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart nice hill session, well done on the 5 and 7 milers - sounded like a nice run today.  Enjoy the new watch!

MG nice steady 8 and that's another excellent long run this morning

Booktrunk bigger miles are possible if you build very slowly...

Sub17 nice start to the year

OH well done for getting the 5k in

Stuart nice easy 8 today, good luck tomorrow

HM in the early stages you might find even 75%max as very slow - if you get bored it's still ok to jog easy runs at 5k+3mins pace

---

Treadie session yesterday of rolling 200m/200m at 5k pace/ easy, then a short 4m easy run today (outside!) plus 6 x 160m strides at mile pace.  HR still high but normalizing, still feeling crap...don't know if I'm going to do a very slow LR tomorrow, or do a club sandwich and join the first tempo run of the year.  image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart it was a cracking day here. Love the new path down the other side of the canal! 

Stuart good luck with the MP run tomorrow if you do it.

Teknik take care, think I would be opting for the LR.

Well done sub17.

Great long run MG1. When is your target marathon?

Eek OH sounds a bit scary re Aberdeen runway! 

NP great park run today.image

An easy 8.5 miles for me this morning, cold but lovely and calm. Picked up some horrid lurgy at work so no club run for me tomorrow (cycle). The thought of 3 hours in cold rain doesn't inspire me so an hours progressive turbo followed by a 30 minute run will do. 

F

• Options
    Fiona VLM April image
  • Options

MG- Excellent 18 miler! 2+ hour runs are tough.

Stew- Well done with the 5 and 7 milers. Enjoy your 12 miler.

Stu- Good luck with your MP run.

Tek- good treadmill run alternating between fast and easy paces is a good speed work  out. LSD is all about endurance and your pace can not be too slow. 

Fi- good 8.5 mile morning run. 

Today I cycled 20 miles in 90 mins. Pace does not really matter to me on long runs or long cycles. 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on the treadmill sessions and the run outside sorry to hear your still feeling crap mate.image Just go easy on the run today and run on feel.image

MG1 thats a great 8 and 18 miles banked for you mate and still a long way to go training wiseimage

Bootrunk unlurk image adjust P&D no play is written in stone and everyone is different image

SUB17 well done at the Parkrun which one do you do?

SC nice new toyimage will have a look at your next swimimage well done on the two runs enjoy your MLR todayimage

MG6 thats nice easy running and will set you up well for the run at MP today. Hope you had a good nights sleepimage

Fiona nice running, I don't know how you can spend 3 hrs on a bike in the cold and having just walked the dog the temp has dropped againimage enjoy the turbo sessionimage

OH nice 5k sir watch out for that pot hole on the landingimage

Well after my swim on Friday I took a CBA day and just walked the dog a few miles, legs well rested and did the Parkrun in 17:15 with a mile or so warm up and cool down. Just about to head out and meet the guys from the club for a MLR/LR very cold and windy outside image don't mind the cold but hate the bloody wind.

• Options

Great PR times NP and Sub17. Cambridge required a snorkel to get through some puddles so I was content with 20:45. A mate was about a minute off his usual pace because his road shoes weren't much help.

I'm feeling really positive right now. I'm just back from a 17 miler, which I did at an average of 8:35/mile. I didn't eat much last night and had no GI issues that usually crop up and always fill me with dread. So that's one lesson learnt - eat less the night before. Perhaps my portions have been too big the night before when I've gone out previously?

I also took a gel after 7 miles, which I've never had before and so far there's been no repercussions as a result, so that's filled me with confidence too.

Tomorrow's a rest day so I'll try to head into the gym for some cross training. 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

RobPope well done on the Parkrun and 17 miles this morning, it's good that your trying out different things in training. image

Out with the club for just over 15 miles with the wind only having a real effect on the last 4 or 5 miles. image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona nice easy 8.5m, hope the turbo and run went ok, and I hope you shake off that lurgy quickly...

Sub17 well done on the bike ride

NP super Parkrun time, and well done on the long run with the club

Rob that's a great 17 miler today, glad you're sorting out the eating / fueling plan

---

I decided on the club sandwich this morning - a cold 4.5m easy jog there, then 6.5m which should have been close to HM pace but ended up more like MP, HR predictably wild. 

I couldn't face the jog home, so begged a lift and just did the final 1m.  12m for the day and a half decent 45m week.image

• Options

Not much running this weekend (Essex family party).

However "training" to Stockport today to visit dad. image

• Options

Tek It is good to see you're recovering all be it slowly, just take care, well done with the run yesterday and today club sandwich, great mileage for the week considering you're not at your best

Fiona, a cracking day for your run down the canal, they have really improved the West side, the last time I ran down it it was covered in loose stones, I only hope the mountain bikers don't make it all rutted

S17, a nice cycle to loosen the legs

Rob, well done with parkrun and the 17 mile long run today, 

NP, a cracking run with the club and a speedy parkrun yesterday, you are running really well 

OH, I like what you did there image

-----------------

12 mile MLR along the canal and back today another great day here no wind and the sun was out for a while, 43 miles for the week, 

• Options

Tek good to hear you are getting out again...  take care

SC nice MLR and good mileage for the week

NP good 15 miler that 17:15min 5k is amazing well done

RP good pace and great distance

SM6 the 8 mile sounds like a sensible pace how did the 12 miler go?

FC Hope lurgy clears well done on 8.5m

OH  Hope this weekends family celebs were fun and the running rest helpful

MG1 Hear you're getting some good long runs in ... well done

16.5 miles yesterday and 6.5 miles this morning at easy pace 51 miles last week. This week should be easy

• Options

Michael - Cracking week of training their! Well done, building nicelyimage

Stewart - Didn't you have a longer run to do today? Or are you doing a recovery week too? Still a good weeks workimage

Tek - Well done on the 12 with some tempo. Don't blame you for getting a lift home either!image

NP - Well done on the long runimage

Rob - Cracking long run, and a nice time at parkrun tooimage

--------

12 miles done tonight at an average of just under 9s. Not sure how accurate that is as my watch went utterly doolally about a mile in. Apparently I ran a 55s 400 at one point( my best 400 time is about 73 seconds on the track...) so might have been slightly further or shorter run.
    Utterly grim out there, feet were soaked after about 2 miles, and the insoles on my left trainer end up looping round my toes, not comfortable at all but was too cold and wet to fix it. No positives about that run at all.

36 for the week I think, which is fine. Probably a bit much for a true recovery week if anything. Hopefully back into the 60s next week. Need to start pushing the longs towards 20 miles soon as I think I only have 8 or 9 to do! 3 20s and a couple of 22s will do.

• Options

I ran 4 miles in 24 mins on treadmill today, then 20 mins easy weights concluded with 5km on row machine in 22 mins.

Tuesday and Thursday will be easy 10km runs on treadmill.

Wednesday is my mid week speed work out, 25 to 30 mins on treadmill.  1 min @ MP and 1 min @ 10km pace. 

Park Run on Saturday and another chance to break 17 mins in a Park Run. 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on the 12 miles yesterdayimage and a good 45 miles for the week, not bad for someone coming back from illness image

OH hope your visit went wellimage

SC Thats another good run and another good weekimage building well.

MG7 thats two good runs with the long run and recovery run and another good week mile wiseimage

SM6 36 Miles for the week is good and well done running with the wet feet for the 12image 5 runs add up to 100+ is goodimage

SUB17 nice mix of trainingimage

40x25m front crawl for 1km swim and just over 6 miles easy this afternoon on the trails. Weekly miles just under 60image

• Options

NP - Good double session today, and nice total for last weekimage

S17 - Good variety of training today.

---------

Just a fairly short weight session for me earlier.

I've been weighing myself each Monday morning for the last 6 months, and I'm now the heaviest I've been in that period! Woopsimage I'd like to lose a stone before Manchester but not sure I have the dedication to stick with a diet to push me down under 11 stone.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.

-----

Tek,

Thanks. I'd been running at 70% which wasn't much quicker than walking so next time I get out I'll see what 75% gives. I think I'll be running at 5k pace + 3 mins but may be surprised.