Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

10 muddy miles D&D on a dreich morning.

well done to all getting out in this horrible weather.

looks like Loch Katrine mara highly likely to be postponed, so as well I have an entry in for D33

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona check them out in a shop first if you canimage very light for the level of cushioning image Just ordered another pair and the trail shoeimage

SM6 Well done on the weights session after a long runimage never had a problem with the shoulders.

MG7 nice 11.5 miles and for getting out between showersimage

OH Weather is crap but well done for your muddy 10 milesimage

750m front crawl all easy this morning and out in the same weather as yesterday for 6 miles recovery, most of the trails are like streams now so feet very wet and working between 3 pairs of trainers nowimage

• Options

Hi everyone, i'm new to the site, but new to running, however i'm trying to take a more targeted route to improvement. I've done  a couple of marathons and want to improve my time and plan on using one of the ultimate guides for sub 3.45/3.30 but i don't understand some of the days and i can't find any explanation. Does the following make since to anyone? 

7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (or 7:30 mins) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

I apologise if i'm wasting anyones time with a simple question image

• Options

just worked it out. Was being a bit simple :P

• Options

Jock - Mile warm up, 4x1 mile, with 3 minutes jog between, mile warm downimage 7:30 miles seems an utterly bizarre pace for a 3:30 plan right enough. I don't even know what that could be??

NP - Well done on the swim/run doubleimage

OH - Good 10 this morningimage You'll go well at D33 with all these decent runs!image

Michael - Even over a couple of days that sounds mental! Well done on the 11.5, nice paceimage

----------

32x25 swim, been ages since I was in the pool. Still can't swim!

Didn't realise I have both a tempo and MP run to do this this week, urghimage 11 with 10 @ MP (7:27) tomorrow hopefully.

• Options

I'm getting the weekly Runners World emails and tomorrow's is equally confusing

5M of 1M jog, then 4x800m at approx 10K pace (3:30) with 400m jog in three minutes, then 1M jog

My 10k pace is not 3:30/mile. My 1k pace isn't near that either!

Anyway, the plan is to jog to a nearby park, do four laps with a rest lap in between, then come back. I plan to ignore the weirdness on the planimage

• Options

SM, yeah not a week to look forward to is it, nice swim I bet you're better than me image

Jock, Welcome

NP, Well done with the swim and trail run you will be buying an extra newspaper a day to get them dried out

OH, you are putting in the miles, well done with the muddy 10

MG7, it is good to get a break in the weather to get your run done.

Fiona, that cycle on Saturday sounded brutal, well done getting a run in, I'm sure the running fitness will return just to up those miles to quickly.

----------------

a 4 mile recovery plod today, at least the legs felt a little looser afterwards, the hip is still not right but will continue with the stretching and rolling.  

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    OH sounds a tough 10 but hey it least its done until the next timeimage

MG7 good work on getting the 11.5 done.

Fiona good to hear from you, what reces are you aiming for?

Jock welcome

NP nice running and swiming pal.

Stewart nice little run, hope the stretching will help.

SM well done on the swimming even if it was hard work, my technique is pretty poor as well.

5 m recovery yesterday then 12.7 tonight, 8.5 with the club @7.13, another wet one.
  • Options

MG - Great club run, wouldn't have liked to be out tonight!image

Stewart - Hope the hip doesn't worsen.

RP - 3:30 would be for the 800s, so 7 minute/mile? What's your 10k time, 43-44 ish? That'd be roughly 7 minute miles I think. 

• Options

Thanks Stuart. 3:30 for the 800 makes sense. My 10k PB is 40:03 so it's good to know I'm on the right plan image

• Options

RP - If your 10k is 40 minutes, 3:30 is way too slow for 800s! Probably better aiming for 3:00-3:10, I'm similarly paced over 10k and would aim at about 3 minutes.

If you google mcmillian running calculator that gives you a good idea of the pace you should run intervals at, although the long run paces can look bold!. The generic one sized fits all plans can be pretty mince for suggesting times for short reps!

I'll point out I've not ran a good marathon, so feel free to ignore me.image

• Options

Morning just a quick post will catch up later

13 miles last night , 6 solo then I met some local running  mates who did their long runs on Saturday so were planning on around 7 perfect really it means although I struggle to do long runs at the weekend in company I can still rely on a not too lonesome long run in the week .... 13 in 1.53 .. average 8.42 , really pleased as its alot hiller round here than where I ran before moving in with my OH 

45.5 miles last week , plenty considering Im not marathon training 

• Options

NN - Cracking mileage and long run. image I really have been finding the long runs with others has been helping, thankfully a few of my mates seem to have the same race list as me this spring so hopefully won't need too many solo long runs! Wish I could ay the same about the tempo/MP runs though!image

---------

MP run isn't happening today, not in that wind and rain. Might go for an hour jog.

• Options

SM6 thanks , but hardly compares with your 16.5 miles 8.06 pace !!!! did I read that right ? what marathon are you doing ? I see you are unlucky with the weather today ! pity to miss the MP run ! but conditions need to be half decent for that session 

4 miles easy done today , weather much improved here ( at the moment ) 

• Options

NN - Yeah, I got towed along on Sunday. I ended up running with 2 runners aiming for 83 minute halfs, and another aiming for a 2:50 full! Thankfully they went quite slow so I could keep up!image I'm doing Greater Manchester at the start of April. 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

JockS Welcome glad you got it sorted outimage

RobP Welcome the 800m taking 3 minutes and 30 seconds is a Bart Yazzo thing an American guy who said if you can run 10x800m in say 3 minutes and 30 seconds with a recovery between each of the 10x800m your marathon should be done in 3:30 and it also works if your slower or faster 10x800 @ 2:50= a marathon in 2:50:00.image IT's about being able to do everyone at the same pace/time. If you do the first one in 3mins and the last 3 or 4 in 3:45 the training effect isn't as good. It should be hard but comfortable.

SM6 well done on the swim enjoy the runimage once you get out after the first mile or so you will be fine.

SC stick with the stretching I found the best ones where bent your knees, touch your toes and straighten out your legs pushing your bum into the air. then sets of clams. On your side draw your knees up and then lift the top knee away from the one on the floor keeping your feet together.image clams hip flexor exercise

MG1 Thats a great double day and nice pace running with the clubimage

NN Nice long run banked and the hills will make the legs stronger also great miles for the week, I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on in a half come Aprilimage

First of two runs done with just over 6miles done, the forestry have been cutting down trees in a couple of areas over the past month or so. I now know why Noah has started to build his ark, over the past seven years or so I can't remember it raining so much when out runningimage Out with the club tonight.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on the LRs Stuart, NN, MG7 & OH.

NP sounds like your weather has been wet and windy too. Hope you find a dry pair of trainers for club run!

Welcome Rob and Jock.

Stewart I hope that hip settles down. Back to JS tonight?

MG1 I have a VLM place but not sure how the ankle will react when I increase the mileage/intensity. Not too fussed about races but for a change I might do some time trials on the bike although I'm not buying a TT bike!

Back to work and a 6am short run, very envious of your full time athlete status NP.image

F

• Options

Fiona, well done with the early run, it was meant to be JS tonight but didn't make it as I had no one to watch the youngest image

NP, thanks for the advice I'll give those exercises a go, well done with the double run, and I agree it is a lot wetter these days! that's global warming for ya!

SM, it is not pretty out there today, hopefully you will squeeze the MP run in later in the week

NN, nice to get a weather break, I'm sure you have made the most of it image

-------------

As mentioned above no running today so I'll do some more stretching and rolling instead, 

• Options

SC stretching and rolling good plan, hope it sorts the hip

FC well done for getting out early.. keep it going

NP v. funny about noah.. yes weather is caused by shift of north atlantic oscillation (+ve state causes this wet weather)

SM6 the mcmillan calculator is neat thanks mate

JockS welcome to the group

OH good distance in the muddy stuff... happy days..

Out with the club tonight trailing at the back one of my mates said that they could hear me catching them. 5x1250m mile splits were 6'25" 6'43" 6'44" some work to do but great fun and good feeling after... perhaps medical advice not needed I've said goodbye to  last years pneumonia, thanks to all here for comments.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona nice training at dark o'clock I don't miss running at 5am image Just build up easy and add the strength to that ankle/foot image

SC hope the stretching is going wellimage

MG7 Thats a nice session and good splitsimage

Well second run with the club last night just over 6 miles with 8 x Hills with jog recovery (hills done in 51/52 seconds). Felt good swam this morning 1km (40x25m) but forgot to turn the garmin on for the last 10 lengthsimage Out later for an easy 8 miles.image

• Options

NP - Good running and swimming as alwaysimage

MG - Well done on the intervals, good paceimage

Fiona - Well done on the short, early runimage

Stewart - Hope you've got out todayimage

----------

6 yesterday, not easy easy but felt easy enough.

Going to pull my rest week forward to this week (should be next) feel pretty rubbish tonight so bailing on my planned 11. Legs are a bit sore anyway so they could do with a rest. Had planned to move one of the 3 taper weeks to an earlier rest week anyway so doesn't disrupt the plan any.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, happy new yearimage

I'm still struggling with the chest infection - now on steroids after 3 weeks of antibiotics, but I am starting to turn a corner...

HM if you're still on Fetch you could look at this link for HR training. http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=434 

You do need to establish your real maxHR - don't rely on that 220--Age formula. (My max is 212 and I'm not 8 years old.)  In the early stages however, if you don't feel confident about banging out some fast 400's to test your max, then I'd just get some miles in at your 5k pace + 3mins per mile - no chance of injury at that speed, and you can build up your base quickly. 

--

13m MLR for me today - doc said it was ok to go out in the cold weather - very slow but I'm glad I got it done as it's the longest run I've done since September!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I think I've got everyone's race plans, but please post any additions or corrections...(Michael I couldn't find one of yours.)

2016 Race List

17/1/16  First Chance 10k  Night Nurse
    24/1/16
    31/1/16  Raheny 5m  No Pain
    06/2/16  Fulford 5m  Night Nurse
    13/2/16  Exeter Half   Night Nurse
    21/2/16  Devilla Forest 15k  Stuart M
    21/2/16  Kinloss to Lossiemouth Half  Stewart C
    27/2/16  Scottish National XC  Stuart M
    27/2/16  The Hillary 50m Ultra   GazMorris
    06/3/16  Bideford Half  Night Nurse
    06/3/16  Essex 20m    Teknik
    06/3/16  Nairn 10k  Stewart C
    12/3/16  D33  Other Half
    13/3/16  Inverness Half  Stewart C
    19/3/16  Larne Half   No Pain
    20/3/16  Brentwood Half  Teknik
    20/3/16  Alloa Half  Stuart M
    27/3/16  Elgin 10k  Stewart C
    03/4/16  Berlin Half   Night Nurse
    03/4/16  Winslow Half  No Pain
    10/4/16  Greater Manchester Marathon  Stuart M, Stewart C
    17/4/16
    24/4/16  London   No Pain, Fiona C
    30/4/16  Highland Fling  Tricialitt
    01/5/16
    08/5/16
    15/5/16  Cape Wrath Challenge  Other Half
    22/5/16  Keswick Mountain Festival 50k Trail Ultra   Michael Griffiths
    29/5/16  Edinburgh Half  Stuart M
    30/5/16  Bupa 10k  HM
    02/10/16  Chesterfield  Michael Griffiths
    29/10/16  Snowdonia   Other Half 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Tek,

Yes I'm still on Fetch so will have a look at that thanks. I'll let you know the dates for my 2.5 mile race and 5 mile race when I know them.
  • Options

I'm doing London and then Milton Keynes on 2nd of May.

• Options
    Tek glad to hear your back out running again, sorry had forgotten to send my race schedue. Currently Gloucester 20 - 13th March, VLM - 24th April

SM not a bad idea if you are feeling it right now, you have done some big miles recently.

Fiona hope you anke is ok to make it to London

NP good couple of lots of training again.

6 m yesterday and 8 m tonight.
  • Options

MG, nice couple of runs, is the 20 mile race going to be a marathon pace practice?

SM, a wise decision, I'm thinking about moving the LT session to next week

Tek, awesome job with the race list and I'm glad you appear to be getting over that chest infection, well done with the 13 mile MLR

NP, well done with the speedy hill reps and swimming,  I hope the run went well this evening

MG7, great splits you've got to be happy with that

------------------

just over 12 miles tonight with 9 @ MP effort (85% avgHR) another tough run the hip was fine until the last 2 miles again, I'll keep up with the clams and side leg raises and hope the niggle eases as I start to improve the strength in my hips 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart that's a great run last night and well done on keeping up the physio exercises.

Nice intervals MG7.

NP and MG1 more good consistent training.

Stuart good plan to rejig recovery week when feeling tired - best to avoid the chance of illness and injury.

Teknik that's an impressive run with a chest infection. Hope you don't have an reaction to it.

Club turbo night on Tuesday, 45 minutes with intervals last night and an easy 45 minutes this morning although before 6am nothing feels easy! Turbo tonight and rest day tomorrow.

F