Options

Kingston Running Festival Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I also like to meet up but not sure how to work it as before hand we will all prepare in our own little way and after woulds we will finish at different times.

keep me in form as I love to meet fellow runners

Fozzy1
  • Options
    We need a large sign so that people can gather whenever their preparation beforehand allows or afterwards whenever they finish.

Best would be to have a forumite there who is not running, who could 'man' the position.
  • Options
    Great idea. I would be good to put faces to screen names. I hope we get something going.
  • Options
    I'm doing the marathon too - not been on here for a while...
    Would be top idea to meet before or after if poss.

One question - that maybe has been answered on this thread before, but does anyone know if they give out energy drinks at all? On the 16 miler this year they gave lucozade sport every five miles so was kinda hoping they'd be doing the same for the marathon....
    Any ideas? ta!
  • Options
    we think not its water only

fozzy1
  • Options
    yes - appears that they have no sports drink sponsor this year so water only.

Need to get your supporters out at strategic points with drinks and gels.

I'm hoping to have people at 3 locations, so plenty of chance for some energy if I'm flagging.
  • Options
    1 forumite whos not running... hello!

I'm 'on call' that morning now that I'm not running, in case the computers at work crash, but if Im around I'll hopefully be wearing my forumites top (Blue with yellow horizontal stripes) and on the bike

can anyone think of somewhere near to the start, that won't be too crowded, that we could meet up by - like woolworths maybe?

one year apparently a lot of people met up afterwards for food in a local pub - that was when it was just 8 and 16 mile runners so I don't know how that might go down with tired marathon runners?
  • Options
    Woolworths might be ok to meet before though it'll be very early, it wasn't that bad before the 16 miler in march..food after could be a good idea!

I'd best rally the troops and place them at strategic points around the course so I get some sports drinks and food!!
  • Options
    OK by Woolies it is then - if we agree a time before the start then I'm sure we can all plan that into our prep.

How about sometime between 7:20 and 7:40(yes it's early, but it has to be with a start at 8am).

After the finish will be difficult as I guess we'll be spaced out by well over an hour. I'm going to shower and change in the pubic sports centre and hope to have lunch with my supporters somewhere but even meeting up for a quick drink around 1pm say would be good.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Top plan. Will bring my forum top too.

Reminds me of another tip - one of the things that always infuriates people in this race is that you pay extra for the baggage storage, and it's a bit of a scrum to hand in your bag too. If you can leave stuff in your car or with friends and just leave a disposable top in a corner somewhere, that might be worth it.

I tried a gel on my run yesterday. Mmm yummy. Easier to swallow on the run than glucose tablets. Bit expensive at £1.50 though.

• Options
    Hi everyone - cant get on the forum much at the moment but entered the marathon about 2-3 wks ago

I travel up from Penzance on the Sat & stay at my sister's in Long Ditton nr Surbiton

my times:
    2002 4:39
    2003 4:40

2004 hopefully 4:30 or sub 4:30

in 2002 there was Gatorade for runners
    in 2003 there was only water & I had assumed there would be Gatorade !!! fortunately I had a munch in my bum bag - as I run fairly "slowly / easy" I usually always eat about Mile 10 on every marathon that I do - some sort of snack bar - not necessarily a dedicated runners one - the cake type nutrigrain - purple wrapper - is the usual, and I have a break & walk so's I don't choke on it ....

at Seaton Half (12 Sept) I pinned "paskha" in green writing on the back of my vest (in see thru plastic ofcourse as I tend to chuck water around) to match my HAYLE RUNNERS vest, above the KERNOW (Cornwall) badge

so if I don't see you outside Woolies I hope to see you on the course

as for the baggage store - I have to pay for it as I don't have a car - last year I had to walk to Kingston (over 2 miles) as my sister was off doing a bike thing !! and I'd also spent most of the previous day walking too - I don't mind normally but maybe not quite so much in the 24 hrs before a MARATHON

Good Luck to everyone - in case I don't get on to the thread again before the race

I'm going to check the human race website now for my name

Liz E - Hayle Runners
  • Options
    Great! Woolies (wherever that is) at about 0730. See y'all there.
    Energy drinks...Hmm I have a bit of a ritual before big races to have a mcdonalds Egg mcmuffin x2 and a big breakfast. Those energy drinks give me a stitch and heartburn.
  • Options
    Woolies - right in the Market Square, just left of the baggage store.

I too have a pre-race ritual, it generally involves looking for alternatives to queuing for the wholly inadequate toilet facilities! At the Breakfast Run in March I did a good 2 laps of the town centre before I realised the hopelessness of the situation. Note that the Human Race website states under the 'Toilets' section: get to the toilets EARLY, allow at least an hour and a quarter before your start and do not leave it to the last minute!

So if I'm not outside Woolies, then you know I got it wrong again and am still queuing with crossed legs & clenched buttocks.
  • Options
    The bag store is £1 but at least it's for charity.

£1.50 for gels - don't know what variety that is but mine were only £1 (SIS-Go).

As for loos it is always a problem - for us men it is easier (a quick wee over the bridge down the towpath !!!!! see you there).

Roll on Woolies.
  • Options
    A quid is ok, especially if it's for charity, I don't have a car either and am going to need to leave warm clothes somewhere before getting home!

The loos are a bit of an issue for girls but at the 16 miiler in march the nice people at Carluccio's let me & my mate use their toilets!! Anything's worth a shot when you're in need esp. I always get pre-race nerves no matter how long the race is!
  • Options
    OK - less than 2 weeks to go, time to taper.

Already reduced long run yesterday to 16 miles

The next 2 weeks look like:

Mon - rest
    Tue - rest
    Wed - 8 miles
    Thu - rest
    Fri - 10 miles
    Sat - rest
    Sun - 6 miles
    Mon - 6 miles
    Tue - 4 miles
    Wed - 4 miles
    Thu - rest + carbs + hydration
    Fri - rest + carbs + hydration
    Sat - rest + carbs + hydration
    Sun - what time do I have to get up !!!!!

Can we order weather conditions identical to yesterday please - superb at 7:30am, not a breath of wind, clear sky, not too cold, wonderful.

Happy tapering.
  • Options
    Event website (with entries now supposedly closed) shows 236 marathoners. So with the usual 'no shows' and 'changes' we should still be around the 200 mark I think, which if I'm correct is more than ever before.
  • Options
    you can amarathon place still if you email the organisers

I got a place last week
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Great long-ish run on Saturday of 15 miles. Quicker than I've ever done it before, without trying that hard. I suppose this is what "peaking" feels like. Hope it lasts another 2 weeks.

• Options
    Yeah Toomuch, my 16 on Sunday felt quite reasonable - the worry is still running the first mile too quickly after 2 weeks tapering and generally taking it easy.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Did you do round the race course?
  • Options
    No I'm afraid I didn't because Friday became a bit of a rush - it'll have to wait for race day now.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Having to run on treadmills this week, as I'm travelling abroad and it's dark out.
    I'd forgotten how boring and unpleasant treadmills are.

Final workouts in my schedule (which I haven't followed very closely) are a 5 mile tempo on Thursday, 12 miles on Sunday, and then 8x400m next Tuesday, plus some short slow ones. That sounds a bit aggressive to me, so I might do a shorter one Sunday and just a few strides on Tuesday. Would be a shame to get tired or hurt now.

• Options
    I'm way off any schedules I'd hope to keep.
    Got a few good long runs in that have boosted my confidence but have not done any specific speed work. In fact, I think I'm guiltly of doing most of my running too fast which accounts for the interrupted schedule due to injuries! I'm still learning.

Started my taper this week.
    Mon rest.
    Tues 10.
    Wed. rest due to travel
    Thur. rest due to travel
    Fri. 3.
    Saturday 5m club handicap (wont really be racing though).
    Sun. 10 down past Hampton Court.

Then next week a total of 20m
    Mon. 5
    Wed. 10
    Fri. 5

Does that last week sound about right ?
  • Options
    Ivor, personally I won't be running on Friday - need at least 2 days off before race.

In theory the final week should be roughly 25% of max mileage I believe, so your 20 says you'd peaked at 80 miles a week !!!! I'm impressed.

Toomuch, again personally I think 12 is too much a week before, I'm doing 10 on Friday as my last longer run.

But, hey, what do I know !!!!!!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    If I were you I wouldn't do more than about 6 on Wednesday, and I wouldn't bother at all on Friday, or at most a 3 or 4 mile slow jog. The 10 miler seems a bit long. Running in the last week only really serves to keep you loose and calm the nerves.

There again, the Paris Marathon website proposes an astonishingly punishing schedule including, amongst other things, a 2 hour run on Sunday, 3 x 1km fast intervals on Wednesday, with 3 x 300m fast reps Friday, just 2 days before the race. Seems a bit much, but then they have twice the number of sub-3 finishers than the FLM, so maybe we're a bit too cautious.
  • Options
    hi all , completed the windsor half marathon on sun , did a PB and finished 52 out of 4500 so raring to go for the marathon.totally cutting down over the next 2 weeks tough. where's woolies????
  • Options
    Woolies is in Market Square - which should be very near the finish and the bag store.

You sound too fast Bubblecop - 52nd out of 4500 - you'll come in the top 10 at Kingston then.
  • Options
    Bubblecop, so just over 1:25 for the half at Windsor, yes I visited the website to check the results (and not the flattest course in the world either).

That just about squeezes you under 3 hours for the marathon then, is that your target (rather better than most on this forum I guess)?

Next week we'll try and all put down our estimated finish times and see who ends up the closest (just for a laugh).