Options

2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Hello!

Thought I'd join in the fun now that my marathon training plan has kicked in.  8 slow miles on Sunday - quite happy to have managed fairly even pace when it's downhill out and uphill back (although nothing alpine), and it's the longest run for nearly 3 years!

Plan this year is Inverness half, Stirling, Fort William and Loch Ness, with a couple of 10ks thrown in just for fun image  Big birthday this year, and the logistics/cost of an overseas marathon put me off, so 3 Scottish ones it is!

StewartC - I think we have been trading flowers on Fetchpoint image

• Options

Stewart - Sounds a decent gym sessionimage

Cal - Probably still lower pollution levels than I have here!image

Nessie - That's a fair old race list!image I'm doing Stirling (as it's just along the road from me) and might do FW as a training run for Glenmore.

--------------

6 miles done, felt all over the place. 

In other news, I've added Manchester to my ever expanding race list... I had 30 planned for that weekend anyway, but since so many of my mates are doing Manchester I eventually caved in and signed up. I'll just be doing it as a brisk LR, probably aim at 3:30.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart that sounds like a good workout last night image

Cal well done on the yoga. Shame about the pollution image I think there was just one year running London that I felt a bit wheezy with the air quality. If you're around the weekend of the marathon it would be great if you could meet up with us for coffee and cakes in the park on the Saturday image 

Stuart I hope you feel better today. I was watching an ultra (in Andorra) last night and its amazing how much walking there is! image Manchester would be a good plan to get a long run in and make a nice change from solo running.

Hope you feel better soon OH image So pleased that you're not open water swimming with a chest infection! image

So good to have you back Ollie image good plan with the spring marathon. 

Tricia that sounds painful image think I'll stick to marathons!!

Great mileage NP especially with the swimming/cross training added in image

37 miles is still a good total Teknik image

Welcome Nessie. image

A nice easy 45 minute run in the woods yesterday morning then a 75 minute spin on the turbo at night. Intervals today - it was pretty windy so did a 20 minute warm up outside then 3 x 10 minutes on the treadmill at 14k/hr with 3 min recoveries. Club turbo night tonight image

F

• Options

Evenin'.

Decided to play me some Noughts and Crosses, naturally I was the crosses, that way I could fit in some cross training. image

With that all said and done...

OH: Nothing too exciting, sunny Stockport is still as... Stockporty as ever.  Hope your chest infection doesn't hang about for too long.
    SM6: Yeah, I hope to see my running improve over the current months, and hopefully building up to an Autumn target will be better in the long run.  Nice going on the 6 miles today, perhaps I'll bump into you in Manchester.
    Cal: Thanks, hope you're running form is still going good.  Pity about the pollution but nice job fitting the yoga in, and sure the respite will prove worthwhile.
    SC: Cheers, nice going on the gym session, sounds like you had a tough workout yesterday.
    Nessie: Sounds like a nice few races packed into this year.  Good job doing the 8 miles, always positive when a long distance goes well.  Best of luck in training.
    Fiona: Good to be back, though my reading list has still been growing...  Good going on the intervals, hope the club turbo goes well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

7 miles or thereabouts, playing delivery boy, 's'all good.
    Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Hi Nessie- that's a fairly "undulating" collection of races................although I believe the Stirling course might not be too bad. Not doing it ( pity), 'cos it's 1 week after something really stupid I've signed up for.

SM6- 3:30 for a marathon is so beyond my wildest dreams- it's a real problem, when you end up signing up for everything, because you know other folk taking prt.

I've done nothing since sunday...........Grrrr- work is always hellish when you come back from leave, so I'm already knackered again. Must get down to some running now that the sleep pattern is beginning to revert to UK time zone!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done for resisting the run and getting the gymwork done

NP well done on the 16m long run and great week's total. Nice easy 4.5m jog yesterday.

Tricia fingers crossed you get over the jet-lag and work schedule quickly

Ollie well done on the continued streak and nice 7m delivery run

OH hope you're up and fit soon

Stuart well done on the lurgied 8m and 6m today

Cal and extra day off won't hurt - well done on the yoga

Nessie welcome and nice going on Sunday's 8m

Fiona nice run in the woods and turbo sesh yesterday; and well done on the treadie intervals today

---

Just over 5m tonight including 5 x 5'00" at just under 7mm off 60 seconds with the club.  Blowing a bit by the end but a lot of funimage

• Options

Tek, a tough session and I am glad you enjoyed it image

Ollie, nice bit of multi-tasking,image

Tricia, I am sure you'll be back out on the trails in no-time image

SM, sounds like you're still not over that bug, take it nice and easy, did you take advantage of the discount for Manchester?

Nessie, Welcome, never really worked out how fetchpoint works, I just go out and run, good luck with the training and well done with the undulating 8 image

-------------

JS run tonight, I didn't take the group just followed along, the legs were feeling the gym session last night and felt every incline, a good run all the same I really enjoyed it.

• Options

Fiona - I may well take you up on that. Let me know which park though - London has more than a few. image

Stuart - Bah, a brisk long run at 3:30? I'll still be going an hour later! Come and say hi if you spot me. I'll be in 2XU tights and a Chasers vest (blue, green and white) as per my profile photo though I may well have another top under it if it's chilly.

Tek, hope the pollution didn't kill you on those intervals!

Well done everyone. image

• Options

Cal - 3:30 would still be a PB for me by about 5 minutes...image And to be fair right now, 8m/m is probably too fast for a raced MP. Probably be slower, but we'll see.

Stewart - Well done on the JS runimage

Tek - That's a good interval sessionimage

Tricia - We have 3 of us doing Manchester/Fling/Stirling, I think there's only 7 weeks between the 3. I'll be looking forward to finishing Stirling!image

Ollie - Well done on the 7image

Fiona - Nice couple of double the past few daysimage

------------

Must have added about another mile and a half last night running back from the Black Sabbath gig at the Hydro, to Queen St station. I was in no mood for missing my train home! Turns out the last train was 2330, not 2300 like I thought! A lot of wasted energy for no reason!image

Feel the best I have in about 10 days today, going to do 9 or 10 shortly.

• Options

Black Sabbath are still around? image Glad you are feeling better!

Today's pollution forecast was low, but I had to contend with freezing fog instead. Still, as I keep reminding myself, that marathon isn't going to run itself. Out for 6.2 miles/10K, even though it was the kind of weather I'd prefer not to have to run in.

The pavements on the way to the common were particularly treacherous due to wet frost (nothing like the dry sparkly frost I ran on in -2 on Sunday) so I had to slow to a crawl at several points, resulting in a 11:33 first mile. Thereafter I was able to pick up a little speed and finished my run strongly with a 10:12 (MP) mile. Legs didn't feel bad at all - I guess the extra day's rest helped. And probably that long nap (well, wasn't a nap - I fully fell asleep for a couple of hours) yesterday afternoon. image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Tricialitt how do you practice crab like walking? Nice to see the body clock getting back to UK time zone.

Welcome back Ollie, thats a great streak and adding to it well with the 7 miles.

OH nice to see you are starting to get over the chest infection.

SM6 nice 8 miles banked it will get better hope the BS concert was good enjoy todays run.

Cal well done with the yoga thankfully pollution isn't a problem in the forest on the trails but fog is. Nice running on fresh legs for the 10k.

SC looks like you are working hard in the gym and well done on the JS run. Often thought about adding some sort of gym session in but never seem to get round to it.

Fiona great mix of training as all ways and working hard on the intervals.

Teknik well done on the 5 miles with 5x500 great for the leg turn over and race pace.

Welcome Nessie well done on the long run and building up the miles.

Yesterday was 4.5 miles on the trails am and 6miles pm which included 6x800m. Today I have swam 70x25m and will get out on the trails later for 7miles.image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP well done on yesterdays double. Hope your run went to plan - breezy again here! image

Cal best take care on ice - would be awful to fall and break something! We usually meet in St James' Park - Inn the Park image but will no doubt be planning it nearer the time.

Great that you're feeling better Stuart image nice getting a few bonus miles in!! image

Stewart well done on the JS run; hope you didn't have any ill effects after it.image

Nice interval Teknik! image Good to have company for those sessions.

Tricia good luck with the jet lag - takes me ages to get back to a time zone! image

Well done on your delivery 7 Ollie - hope it wasn't too heavy! image 

An easy day here - 30 minutes easy in the morning (still a bit dark so used the treadmill) then 60 minutes easy outdoors later in the day image Back to a run and a pedal tomorrow image

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on the easy JS run

Cal yes there were a few peeps asking "should we be doing this..." but honestly I didn't notice anything really.  Well done on the 10k run today

Stuart haha I like the dash to the station anecdote

NP nice 4.5m trail run, and good set of 800s.  Well done on the swim...

Fiona nice easy double run

---

8.7m tonight with the club, including 8m at MaraHR - bit better this week, HR lower/less spiky, came out as 8:03mm, so progress being madeimage

• Options

NP-I'm hoping that practicing conventional walking up hills will avoid the crab impression!

Cal - well done for getting out depsite the dodgy conditions- and even more well done for not falling over!

Managed a faster run on the tready today, and planning for a few trail miles on my morning off tomorrow, then another longer on monday , which is an afternoon off after weekend on call. Weather looks a but crap, but hopefully runnable.

• Options

Hello. image

Tricia: Nice going on the treadmill run today.
    Teknik: Good going on the 8.7 miles, nice to hear you're making progress.
    SC: Nice running with the JS Group, sounds like you had a good run.
    Cal: Nice job on getting out for the 10k in foggy conditions, otherwise it'd be a... mist opportunity. image
    SM6: Sounds good being trained via train, on the right tracks anyway.  Hope today's 9/10 mile run goes well.
    NP: Nice double efforts, hope the swim and the trail run went alright today.
    Fiona: Nice going on the doubles today, enjoy the run/cycle combo tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just 3 miles today, all good.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

So far this week...

Monday included 10 miles on treadmill over 3 runs + 2km on rowing machine. 

Tuesday included 10 miles on treadmill over 2 runs + 2km on rowing machine.

Wednesday included 9.5 miles on treadmill over 2 runs + 2 km on rowing machine.

Thursday and Friday will be rest days ahead of my Park Run that will make it 30+ miles for the week.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona nice double day of treadmill and outdoors hope your pedal went ok in the wind. Still very windy here and cold.

Teknik well done on the MP run nice to see you're happy with the HR.

Tricialitt well done on the treadmill run and hope the trail run went well.

Ollie nice to see you keeping the streak going.

Sub17 well done on the treadmill running enjoy the park run.

Cut back week so 7.5 miles on the trails yesterday and a nice easy 6 miles on the trails this morning no second run today and a rest day babysitting tomorrow.image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Tricia well done on the treadie, hope you got out on the trails today

Ollie nice 3 miler

Sub17 looks like another good mileage week, good luck for Saturday

NP well done on the trail runs; have fun babysitting !

---

Cold out tonight, just a recovery 4m jog for meimage

• Options

5miles of cold, hilly trails on the Kilpatrick braes path - 317m of climb, this morning before the afternoon's clinic- it was lovely up there- lots of ice about, but a clear, crisp morning. Felt good- I saw a young guy out on his bike in shorts + top, no gloves, hat, or anything else that I could see- BRRrrrrrrrrrrr.

NP- hope your trail runs were as enjoyable as mine- it was beautiful near Glasgow today. Enjoys your "res"- if babysitting is restful?

Hope those in the polluted south are getting better air now (I grew up in london, but don't recall such bad problems back in the 70-80's).

• Options

Hey all. image

Sub17: Nice treadmill running, some good mileage there.
    NP: Good goin on the trails, enjoy the rest day.
    Teknik: Nice recovery jogging today, especially in the cold.
    Tricia: Nice hill running today, sounds like a refreshing run.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

Just a couple of miles today, so I could get back to watch United v Hull. 

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

S17, well done with the treadmill running and on the rowing machine, looking good for another 1st place finish at the weekend

Ollie, another few miles added to the streak are you using P&D again for the marathon?

Tricia, well done with the treadmill run and the run on the trails

Tek, good to see the MP pace improve, 

Fiona, well done with the double run, and enjoy the spin

Cal, take care on those ice paths and well done with the 10k run

SM, I think my brother was at that concert too, Sorry I had to laugh a little about the run to the station, all miles in the bank though image

NP, well done with the trail running and good luck with the babysitting today, you'll be knackered by the end of the day.

----------------

Turbo session on Wednesday night with the tri club, it was a bit of a leg masher, high resistance low cadence, just what the legs needed image, next week we're doing some brick work, which should be fun.  Last night was an easy 5, concentrating on running tall.

• Options

Oh Ollie, you punny bugger. Well done on the 3 and the short run.

Trica - brr indeed. I've seen a couple of people wearing less than they should in these temperatures. They must be hardy sorts. It has to be at least 12 degrees before I will even consider shorts, and mine are the cycle-type, and I pair them with calf sleeves so it's really only my knees that are showing. :P

Tek, well done on getting out in the cold.

Stewart, I hope at least the pool is a heated one. My club's going to the cold water championships up the road at Tooting Bec lido tomorrow, which is not heated. There's been ice on it this week. Fools. image

---

I didn't run yesterday. I think I would have if it was a bit nicer out. I don't mind cold and sunny, or mild and cloudy, but I detest cold and cloudy, which it is now. I opted for hot yoga instead.

Still cold (1 degree) and grey today but I couldn't skip today as well so opted for 6 miles easy. Took a while to get going this morning.

My Hampton Court number's here - 2435. 2345 would have been better (but not as good as 1111) image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cal I'm not keen on the cold either and you often see folk up here (men) out running in the snow with shorts on. It has to be pretty warm before I wear shorts unless its a marathon. image

Stewart well done on the trI club sessions; it sounds like they do a lot of good structured training. image

Ollie good to get the priorities right! image I went to the shops to buy flowers for a friend's birthday and came out with 4 books - all for me! image

Tricia well done on the hill run. image I could never go on my bike with no gloves even in summer! Feel cold just thinking about it...

Teknik nice mara HR run and recovery run image

NP well done on the trail running too and enjoy the "rest' day babysitting! image

Sub17 good luck tomorrow image

Rest day here today. Yesterday was a fartlek 6 miles in the morning but just an easy 30 minute turbo spin later as my calf was really tight but think the spin helped image hope everyone has a fun weekend! image

F

• Options

Afternoon. image

SC: Just running to no schedule at the moment, will be putting in a few long runs soon, and hope to use P&D again for my Autumn marathon.  Nice going on the turbo session and the 5 mile run, sounds like the tubo was a tough 'un.
    Cal: Glad to hear your number has arrived, and nice going toughing out the 6 miles in the cold.
    Fiona: Too many books, too little time.  Sounds like a well deserved rest day after yesterday's fartlek and turbo.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

3 miles today, going to get a slightly longer run in tomorrow as will jog down to another parkrun in the morning.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Tricia well done on the hilly 5m trail run

Ollie well done on the 2 runs

Stewart good turbo mashing and nice easy 5 miler

Cal easy 6 miles today

Fiona enjoy the rest day - well done on the fartlek 6m and easy spinning

---

Just a 3m jog for me this evening, long run tomorrowimage

• Options

I ran 17:19 in my Park Run today for second place. 

• Options

Slowest ever parkrun today (28:19 - yeah, 11 minutes slower than you, Sub17!) This was due to the sheer volume of runners, since it was my local's first birthday, the weather had got a bit warmer and there was a bumper turnout again. The start was a bit shambolic (delayed as the Cold Water Championships were taking place in Tooting Bec Lido and there was some issue with cars coming into the carpark at that end of the common) so I didn't get running right away and then the first half of the first lap was a shuffle. I also rolled my ankle on the first lap and then slipped in mud on the second. I decided I'd just tempo it since there was no chance of a PB and took it a little easier than normal. At least I'll be fresher for the long club run tomorrow.

• Options

Well done on the 2nd place parkrun sub17, and the birthday crowd run , too Cal. Hope the ankle is OK- RICE!!- an perhaps a bit of taping to avoid a re- injury tomorrow on the long one.

It's dreich here- actually I'm quite glad I couldn't make it to the WHW trainig long run today ( On cal the weekend- I'll go on my own instead on monday). Just did 5 miles of general +strides on tready whilst oncall.

• Options

Tricia - Well done on the 5 miles todayimage

Cal - Careful with the ankle! And that's still faster than my slowest parkrun, I think I was over 30 minutes at Inverness... And I have a 59:59 to my name, although I was approx 24 minutes.image

S17 - Good parkrun thatimage

Tek - Well done on the 3 milesimage

Ollie - Same to you, and hope you had a good parkrunimage

Fiona - Well done on the 6 miles and turboimage And, btw, it's always shorts weatherimageimage

Stewart - Good running and turbo sessionsimage

NP - Nice training, even for a cutback week!image

---------

So, only done 6 easy on Wednesday. Then 9ish with 4@ 7:11 (I was running with some slower mates doing a tempo) and nothing since. Going to go out for 5-6 shortly thoughimage

• Options

Oh it's fine. Thanks for your concern. That ankle has been sprained so many times the ligaments are like a fat 70s wrestler's trunks elastic. If I roll it, it'll hurt for a second but it won't do any damage. There's no pain or swelling. image